Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bumi

Silver

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Bumi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:25 am

bdubs wrote:Homework is a bit of an adjustment from law school's exam/paper heavy grading method.
I'll tell you what was an adjustment: going back to law courses where I didn't know if I was learning anything until I got my grade back well after the semester was over. With my Kellogg course, I could try out the concepts in a homework assignment, and if I effed it up I find out immediately. (Or on the other side of things: if I was doing it right, I would find out immediately - no need to spend any more time going over that concept again).

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 am

Bumi wrote:Sorry to everyone who was planning on this already for driving up the bid price.
Delete your post immediately. TYIA.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Thoughts on this class schedule for a 2L?

Administrative Law- Prof. Fischman
Evidence- Prof. Hughes
Land use and other urban issues- Prof. Shoked
Negotiations- Prof. Gandert or Prof. Agnew

I'm gunning to clerk so need to take a fairly non-fluff class load but am also looking to preserve my GPA as much as possible. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:33 pm

elibrarian wrote:I'm gunning to clerk so need to take a fairly non-fluff class load but am also looking to preserve my GPA as much as possible. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!
--ImageRemoved--

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:36 pm

elibrarian wrote:Thoughts on this class schedule for a 2L?

Evidence- Prof. Hughes

I'm gunning to clerk so need to take a fairly non-fluff class load but am also looking to preserve my GPA as much as possible. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!
GTFO of land use, pretty please. I'm tired of classes full of gunners after being in section 1 last year. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Evidence- Prof. Hughes

If grades are important to you then getting uncurved classes with profs that are lenient is your best bet. Fischman is relatively new so no clue, though I suspect his class will be uncurved. Hughes can be erratic and there's no guarantee it will be uncurved. No idea on Shoked/Gandert/Agnew.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:07 pm

bk187 wrote:

Evidence- Prof. Hughes

If grades are important to you then getting uncurved classes with profs that are lenient is your best bet. Fischman is relatively new so no clue, though I suspect his class will be uncurved. Hughes can be erratic and there's no guarantee it will be uncurved. No idea on Shoked/Gandert/Agnew.
Gandert's class basically had an A- floor from what I could tell, but an A+ was tough to get.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Does anyone know how Camille Taylor and Chris Clark grade? I want to take Sexual Orientation & the Law with them.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Isn't NU's 1L median around a 3.35? What's 3L median like? It seems like, as a transfer, it'd be kind of easy to get honors, since non-transfers are bogged down by their 1L-curved GPA. Am I wrong to think this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:34 pm

zozin wrote:Isn't NU's 1L median around a 3.35? What's 3L median like? It seems like, as a transfer, it'd be kind of easy to get honors, since non-transfers are bogged down by their 1L-curved GPA. Am I wrong to think this?
Graduation median is like 3.6ish. It's easy for lots of people to get honors, not just transfers (but yes transfers have it easier).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Icculus wrote:Gandert's class basically had an A- floor from what I could tell, but an A+ was tough to get.
I'll also say this: if you want a clerkship, an A- average is generally not what you are looking for. You want to snag as many A/A+'s as you can.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 pm

bk187 wrote:
Icculus wrote:Gandert's class basically had an A- floor from what I could tell, but an A+ was tough to get.
I'll also say this: if you want a clerkship, an A- average is generally not what you are looking for. You want to snag as many A/A+'s as you can.
Thank you! Yeah, this is my difficulty in choosing classes. Lots of people will say its an easy A- but I realize that isn't quite enough.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Thoughts on:

Antitrust – McGinnins
Con Crim Pro – Jacobi
Copyright – DiCola
Criminal RICO Prosecutions
Law and Rhetoric – Lupo
Ethics – Hilliker
Ethics – Foster
Natural Resources – Barsa
Telecommunications – Speta

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm taking a year or two off before law school, and I'm hoping for a 171+ LSAT to have a shot at Northwestern. My question is, would I feel out of place as a 23 year old student if I went back after one year off? Would it be better for me to take some more time to gain work experience? I am curious because I saw that the average age is 26, and Northwestern's class includes more married and settled-down students than at other law schools. I am curious about whether or not there will be opportunities to be around people my age, and if I would be at a severe disadvantage if I'm not very established in the working world before deciding to attend.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 pm

NasserK wrote:I'm taking a year or two off before law school, and I'm hoping for a 171+ LSAT to have a shot at Northwestern. My question is, would I feel out of place as a 23 year old student if I went back after one year off? Would it be better for me to take some more time to gain work experience? I am curious because I saw that the average age is 26, and Northwestern's class includes more married and settled-down students than at other law schools. I am curious about whether or not there will be opportunities to be around people my age, and if I would be at a severe disadvantage if I'm not very established in the working world before deciding to attend.
I'm 26, and my friends run from 21 to mid-30s. You'll be fine, age wise. That being said, I'm always a fan of getting more work experience before jumping into law school. You appreciate it more, and you have more to talk about when it comes to interviews.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 pm

NasserK wrote:I'm taking a year or two off before law school, and I'm hoping for a 171+ LSAT to have a shot at Northwestern. My question is, would I feel out of place as a 23 year old student if I went back after one year off? Would it be better for me to take some more time to gain work experience? I am curious because I saw that the average age is 26, and Northwestern's class includes more married and settled-down students than at other law schools. I am curious about whether or not there will be opportunities to be around people my age, and if I would be at a severe disadvantage if I'm not very established in the working world before deciding to attend.
You'll be fine.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 pm

I liked Mcginnis. Yes he cold calls, but you can pass and just be ready the next day. The book is well-organized and good at explaining the key concepts. Plus he follows the book exactly so once you get his general AT philosophy down (he has a similar approach to most every problem), missing classes here or there doesn't hurt. Finally, you know exactly the kind of analysis he wants on the final.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm 22 and love it at Northwestern. Can't speak to its effect on employment prospects since I haven't gone through OCI yet, but I don't imagine I'm very disadvantaged.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 pm

splitmuch wrote:I liked Mcginnis. Yes he cold calls, but you can pass and just be ready the next day. The book is well-organized and good at explaining the key concepts. Plus he follows the book exactly so once you get his general AT philosophy down (he has a similar approach to most every problem), missing classes here or there doesn't hurt. Finally, you know exactly the kind of analysis he wants on the final.
McGinnis is a sperglord and I fucking love him.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:53 am

Flips88 wrote:Thoughts on:

Antitrust – McGinnins
Con Crim Pro – Jacobi
Copyright – DiCola
Law and Rhetoric – Lupo
Ethics – Hilliker
Ethics – Foster
I really loved Barsa for Natural Resources. Our class was just barely curved (41, 42, something like that). I felt his grading was tough, but did OK, not as well as I'd hoped. But he's very entertaining in class, and a really nice person.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Kikero wrote: @crumps: I highly recommend Presser in general, even if not for an LLM only class.
And i will respectfully disagree and say he is one of the worst profs I've had and his exam is a joke.
I thought his lectures were very entertaining, esp given some of the material in Am. Legal Hist., but I think that class always ends up curved and the exam does not lend itself to any of the skills you learn in any other class.
This is what I would say too (took it as a 3L and had really hoped it'd be easier). As an aside, I took him for Corporations first semester 2L for 2.5 credits. I'd recommend that if anyone is going through 2L OCI, because it's co-taught w/ Kellogg and thus starts later - freeing up time for callbacks etc. Although I wished I'd gotten a better grade.

He's very conservative and his bias shows in class, if that bothers you. And yes. The exam is weird. One of the questions was something like Who was your favorite justice we studied this semester and why. It feels like it's an easy exam when you're taking it, but you have no idea what he's looking for.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 am

Flips88 wrote:Thoughts on:

Antitrust – McGinnins
Con Crim Pro – Jacobi
Copyright – DiCola
Law and Rhetoric – Lupo
Ethics – Hilliker
Ethics – Foster
I know not everyone loved Jacobi for con crim pro, but I really liked her. And I must have learned a lot, because crim pro is the only subject for the bar that I can write an essay about without looking at any notes. Plus, if it's uncurved she isn't a difficult grader.

I signed up for Copyright last year and dropped in the middle of the first class, after looking at the syllabus. It was curved, participation counted, the exam was weird, and he expected people to post on the discussion board on blackboard. It was a bummer, since I'm interested in the topic and have heard DiCola is a good prof. But with that format, I was bound to have a discretionary C coming my way.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:50 am

And to the guy/girl who wants to clerk: chill out a little re: grades. You can't control for everything, and most people don't get straight As/A+s. Take the core clerkship classes and some nice uncurved classes, do Kadens's shit, and also take some classes that you actually want to take. Clerkships are a crapshoot for most people, and you should also make sure to enjoy law school.

...shit. Do I sound like Cliff?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:56 am

Evidence- Prof. Hughes

Fischman curved Admin last year when he didn't have to.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 am

Holly Golightly wrote:And to the guy/girl who wants to clerk: chill out a little re: grades. You can't control for everything, and most people don't get straight As/A+s. Take the core clerkship classes and some nice uncurved classes, do Kadens's shit, and also take some classes that you actually want to take. Clerkships are a crapshoot for most people, and you should also make sure to enjoy law school.

...shit. Do I sound like Cliff?
:-D no, you're not actively cultivating pre-emptive fear.

Edit for auto-correct

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”