Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by 09042014 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Koehler still curves but I don't think as strict as the normal curve. He def gives B pluses.

Id be careful about relying on single recommendations for what is easy. Too many people confuse "I got an A" with "everyone gets an A."

Check that leaked list and find confirmed easy graders.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:07 pm

starz wrote:Any thoughts on these courses for 1L Spring? How do you figure out if a class is uncurved/has an easy grader?

Economic Analysis of Law (Haddock)
First Amendment (DeSanto)
Law & Social Change (Len)
Remedies (Lupo)
Evidence (Koehler)

Thanks!
DeSanto is a pretty popular prof so it's basically a certainty that the class will be curved and filled with a decent chunk of 2Ls and 3Ls. Good class but curve can be tough.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
bk1 wrote:
simplycatalina wrote:I don't have a technical background so I was concerned about it harming my GPA if it's curved, but I do want to do IP so I figure I should take it and the professor seems amazing. So if I did that, what would be another easy class to take with it? I've heard mixed things about 14th Amendment but I was considering that or maybe Law and Social Change.
You don't need a technical background to understand IP or patent.
A technical background definitely won't be at all an issue in terms of understanding the material in the class. Curve-wise, though, there are going to probably be a good dozen people in there with tech backgrounds that have been exposed to IP before law school that will make getting the highest grades tougher (of course, I could be wrong, I'm just assuming that they were the people at the top of the curve).
Meh. The best exam takers will still crush any pre-law tech knowledge people, especially since tech knowledge isn't all that helpful for understanding IP law. Plus the class still has a significant TM/copyright component.
I'm sure that's true for the very best exam takers, but for me it was probably a pretty significant drain on my overall GPA. I spent a lot of time studying for it that I could have spent on other classes, and I still didn't do as well as I would have liked. On the other hand, it definitely helped in IP interviews, but you have to make sure you're really committed to doing IP.

ETA: As general advice to 1Ls, don't underestimate how tired you will be by the time second semester comes around. Some people are better at pacing themselves than others, but I for one could not maintain the effort level through second semester, and then regretted taking harder classes than I needed to.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Here's the leaked GPA data in spreadsheet format.

--LinkRemoved--

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm

zozin wrote:Here's the leaked GPA data in spreadsheet format.

--LinkRemoved--
i love you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Blumpbeef wrote: ETA: As general advice to 1Ls, don't underestimate how tired you will be by the time second semester comes around. Some people are better at pacing themselves than others, but I for one could not maintain the effort level through second semester, and then regretted taking harder classes than I needed to.
This is credited. You get pretty burnt out by the time the last final rolls around. The weather will be nicer, the boat cruise will be around the corner, and you'll just be out of steam. Definitely don't save a hard test for a curved class for last.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I'm sure that's true for the very best exam takers, but for me it was probably a pretty significant drain on my overall GPA. I spent a lot of time studying for it that I could have spent on other classes, and I still didn't do as well as I would have liked. On the other hand, it definitely helped in IP interviews, but you have to make sure you're really committed to doing IP.

ETA: As general advice to 1Ls, don't underestimate how tired you will be by the time second semester comes around. Some people are better at pacing themselves than others, but I for one could not maintain the effort level through second semester, and then regretted taking harder classes than I needed to.
Did you take it uncurved with Francis?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:I'm sure that's true for the very best exam takers, but for me it was probably a pretty significant drain on my overall GPA. I spent a lot of time studying for it that I could have spent on other classes, and I still didn't do as well as I would have liked. On the other hand, it definitely helped in IP interviews, but you have to make sure you're really committed to doing IP.

Did you take it uncurved with Francis?
It was curved with Diamond. I was in the same class.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 pm

--LinkRemoved--
The file is 43kb, so why am I getting a warning that Mega wants to store 50MB on my computer? Seems sketch. Can someone put it in a public dropbox folder or something (or reassure me that this website isn't doing anything creepy)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:10 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
The file is 43kb, so why am I getting a warning that Mega wants to store 50MB on my computer? Seems sketch. Can someone put it in a public dropbox folder or something (or reassure me that this website isn't doing anything creepy)?
This website is doing some awesome shit with encryption to get around all the copyright infringement laws we learned about regarding third party liability.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Okay, 2nd semester 3L. Just found out there are zero ELC spots opening up for this semester so I was thinking of doing the death penalty clinic because it will take care of my 50 hour pro bono requirement for NYC. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Also, any other suggestions for easy classes that won't hurt my GPA and won't be a shit ton of work? I was thinking M&A w/ Reed but am concerned about the curve. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

eschewinganonymity

New

Post by eschewinganonymity » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:22 am

Anyone take Lauren Pedraza-Farina for anything? Thoughts?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:14 pm

People's thoughts?

M&A with Reed
Death Penalty Clinic w/ Owen
Persuasion, Theory and Practice w/ Lupo

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fabulist

New

Post by Fabulist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Anyone know if Taxation of Financial Derivatives requires Basic Federal Income Tax? I assume so, but wasn't sure. Either way, thoughts on it? I'm more finance-interested than tax, but it sounds interesting.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:05 pm

LRGhost wrote:
bk1 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Anyone have 14th Am. with Hughes? There's a conflict between that, Local Government with Shoked, and Law Firm Management... with Lutz. I figure all three can't hit the curve but assuming I have a choice, does anyone have any opinion one way or the other?
There's been a history of people doing pretty well in 14A uncurved and I've recommended the class before, but I've heard from people who took her last year that grading can be erratic so I'm not sure what to think now.
Yeah, I got very mixed reactions from searching but I think people were referring to her teaching other courses and not 14A. :/
Just fyi, apparently Hughes sent out a grade distribution chart for last year's 14A class and there were a lot of low grades (and high grades as well tbf), so it's not a guaranteed A- class or anything.

ETA: Searched through some old messages and was told that there were 11 B's and 2 B-'s.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:08 pm

anyone know who's a good professor for legal ethics?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:54 pm

I need 38 credits over the next 3 terms. I have ITP this spring so that's 4 credits. Should I take 14 (4 classes) or 16 (5 classes)?

What makes one of those 2-3 credit classes 2 vs. 3 credits?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I need 38 credits over the next 3 terms. I have ITP this spring so that's 4 credits. Should I take 14 (4 classes) or 16 (5 classes)?

What makes one of those 2-3 credit classes 2 vs. 3 credits?
They're seminars with papers where you can get a 3rd credit by doing either 2 or 3 drafts instead of 1.

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:19 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:anyone know who's a good professor for legal ethics?
Foster's good.

thefuturenow

New

Post by thefuturenow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Can't decide between American Legal History with Presser and Estates and Trusts with Schanzenbach?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:20 pm

thefuturenow wrote:Can't decide between American Legal History with Presser and Estates and Trusts with Schanzenbach?
Schazenbach is funny and approachable, I really liked that class. I will add a minor caveat that my preference for "laws" is statute heavy / code based classes compared to 90 page scotus opinions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thefuturenow

New

Post by thefuturenow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 pm

splitsplat wrote:
thefuturenow wrote:Can't decide between American Legal History with Presser and Estates and Trusts with Schanzenbach?
Schazenbach is funny and approachable, I really liked that class. I will add a minor caveat that my preference for "laws" is statute heavy / code based classes compared to 90 page scotus opinions.

Thanks. Is E&T statute heavy? I would very much like to avoid such classes

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:30 pm

thefuturenow wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

a lot of uniform codes and restatements, you do read cases, but they are short and typically examples of the statute in action

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Sooo I'm taking both civ pro two and fed jur. I get that shit will be difficult when finals time rolls around but what exactly is the reading load in the classes?

thefuturenow

New

Post by thefuturenow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:21 am

splitsplat wrote:
thefuturenow wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

a lot of uniform codes and restatements, you do read cases, but they are short and typically examples of the statute in action
Thanks made my decision much easier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”