Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bond232518

New

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by bond232518 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:Markell gave out multiple C's and Kaidens gave someone an F. I didn't know grades under B- was a thing here.
C's are discretionary. It happens. Not sure how true the F rumor is though. Kadens is tough but she loves her students. I don't think she would willfully fuck someone over like that.
Is this even with the new curve that applies to all classes with 14 students or above?!

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 pm

bond232518 wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:Markell gave out multiple C's and Kaidens gave someone an F. I didn't know grades under B- was a thing here.
C's are discretionary. It happens. Not sure how true the F rumor is though. Kadens is tough but she loves her students. I don't think she would willfully fuck someone over like that.
Is this even with the new curve that applies to all classes with 14 students or above?!
Yes? C's are never required in the curve. But a professor is well within their right to give them. It's not unheard of at NU and it's not unheard of at all the other schools. The new cure is what, a 3.55, for upper level classes? It's very generous.

tommy6371

New

Post by tommy6371 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi there! I am applying to Northwestern University this upcoming cycle. I am currently an aerospace engineer at NASA and I would very much like to go in patent law. Can someone comment on the prospects for a person interested in patent law at Northwestern? I am a little confused because other schools have IP, patent specializations and Northwestern does not. I have heard this whole argument that it's better to go to a T14 school then a lower tiered school with a specific program. I get it but I just want to make sure Northwestern will not necessarily hurt my chances at landing a patent law career after school.

Thanks!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pm

1L leaning litigation but interested in learning more about transaction work. Thinking about taking BA, Secured Transactions, Evidence, Admin, and something else next semester. Any thoughts?

souljazz

New

Post by souljazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:20 pm

tommy6371 wrote:Hi there! I am applying to Northwestern University this upcoming cycle. I am currently an aerospace engineer at NASA and I would very much like to go in patent law. Can someone comment on the prospects for a person interested in patent law at Northwestern? I am a little confused because other schools have IP, patent specializations and Northwestern does not. I have heard this whole argument that it's better to go to a T14 school then a lower tiered school with a specific program. I get it but I just want to make sure Northwestern will not necessarily hurt my chances at landing a patent law career after school.

Thanks!

Happy to help, feel free to ping me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

souljazz

New

Post by souljazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:20 pm

tommy6371 wrote:Hi there! I am applying to Northwestern University this upcoming cycle. I am currently an aerospace engineer at NASA and I would very much like to go in patent law. Can someone comment on the prospects for a person interested in patent law at Northwestern? I am a little confused because other schools have IP, patent specializations and Northwestern does not. I have heard this whole argument that it's better to go to a T14 school then a lower tiered school with a specific program. I get it but I just want to make sure Northwestern will not necessarily hurt my chances at landing a patent law career after school.

Thanks!
Happy to help, feel free to ping me

NLawProud

New

Post by NLawProud » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:38 pm

Has anyone had Law Firm Management with Lutz? Starting to outline but have no idea what he expects of us on his exam (such as should I be studying my reading notes or just class notes). I would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has taken this class, thank you!

askingforhelp

New

Post by askingforhelp » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Floridacostalorbust, can you shed some light onto how you were able to negotiate your scholarship from $180,000 to $210,000? Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

askingforhelp

New

Post by askingforhelp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
taco bell breakfast wrote:
foodlaw wrote:Hello! How would I go about getting in touch with a Northwestern law student? I'd love to interview someone and possibly write about our conversation in my "Why Northwestern" essay. I'd really appreciate it :D
I wouldn't stress too much about your Why Northwestern essay. It also might be more valuable, and less time-consuming, to talk about a specific professor/concentration/program that's relevant to your experience or interests, or any geographical ties you have to Chicago/the Midwest.
Just PM two people in this group and ask a specific question. Then you can say you've "spoken with multiple" northwestern students about X, and how that excites you to do Y.
FlordiaCoastalorbust, can you shed some light on how you negotiated your scholarship from 180k to 210k? Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:06 pm

How important is attending the meet the employers event tonight?

Chuck Rhoades

New

Post by Chuck Rhoades » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Hello! For current Northwestern students, do you guys have an internal thread and/or advice where to look for sublets over the summer? Working in Chicago this summer, and would like to stay near the law school.

mickey_mouse

Bronze

Post by mickey_mouse » Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 am

Chuck Rhoades wrote:Hello! For current Northwestern students, do you guys have an internal thread and/or advice where to look for sublets over the summer? Working in Chicago this summer, and would like to stay near the law school.
pm me i'd be willing to send your info to our listserv if you still need housing

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sun May 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Any idea on when grades will come out?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 am

carsondalywashere wrote:Any idea on when grades will come out?
First week of June is what I've been told.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon May 21, 2018 5:12 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Because you apparently can't edit anymore, I'm quoting myself. They came out Fri, June 2 last year. That means, we should probably expect them to drop Fri, June 1 if the timelines match up.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 22, 2018 9:42 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Because you apparently can't edit anymore, I'm quoting myself. They came out Fri, June 2 last year. That means, we should probably expect them to drop Fri, June 1 if the timelines match up.
Dope. A rising 3L told me to expect them Friday, June 1st.

Gus Fring

New

Post by Gus Fring » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:59 am

wow lutz was fired. This is ridiculous I took a class with him and he was great.

​​
To the enrolled students of Lutz for academic year 2017-2018,

I want to make you aware of developments concerning my personal situation at the law school. I decided to delay informing you of these developments until after graduation, not wanting to be a distraction to graduation festivities.

Days before graduation, I received an email from outgoing Dean Dan Rodriquez containing an attachment of a letter addressed to me that informed me that I would no longer be teaching at the law school. The letter said, in part:

"Dear Karl, I write with the news that this academic year, 2017-2018 will be your last as a full-time faculty member with the position of Senior Lecturer...This decision is not based upon unsatisfactory performance, but is the result of our assessment of teaching resources, especially in the business law area. During the past three years, we have steadily added full-time faculty…, all of whom are teaching, or will teach in this area, including the core Business Associations course."

(A mild detour at this point--I have not taught Business Association since the 2014-2015 academic year....)

To say that I was shocked that outgoing Dean Rodriquez fired me would be a gross understatement. To learn of this decision via email was truly remarkable.

I have been teaching at Northwestern Law for more than ten years. I think that all of you have a pretty good sense of how hard I work to do whatever I can to be of assistance to you and the other students at the law school. This year alone, 269 of you have been in my classes or anticipate being in my summer class, including 180 JDs and JD/MBAs, 85 LLMs, and even a few MSLs.

You and the other Pritzker students have been wonderful to me, both with your continuous expressions of gratitude and also by honoring me with teaching recognition—both the selection of me as Last Lecturer in 2016 and 2017 (and the nomination in 2018, which I declined) and your selection of me "most outstanding teacher" (the Childres Award) in 2017.

I don’t know the real reason(s) why outgoing Dean Rodriguez has taken the action to terminate me--nobody has told me. In the past couple of years several years prior to my termination letter, I have requested to meet with Dean Rodriguez with respect to my personal employment situation on several occasions, but he has not obliged.

I have been further advised that the outgoing dean’s personnel decision will not be reconsidered. In fact, via another email, outgoing Dean Rodriguez has directed me to people on his personal staff, and facilities staff with respect to my Northwestern office, to proceed with an “orderly” transition. So I guess this means that the jerseys in my office windows will be coming down soon—maybe I will hang them at half-mast for a few days before they are removed…

Will I have any relationship to the school going forward? I am told no. For now, I want you to know that I have completed my grading of the 158 of you who were in my classes during the spring term. I thought I would be teaching 21 of you a PE class this summer, and I had agreed to work with at least two additional students this summer on research matters, but, obviously, this will not be happening. My sincere apologies to all of you and others for whatever inconveniences this will cause.

I am hopeful that I can continue to be of assistance to you in the future. And regardless of what the outgoing dean or anybody might think or say about me, I am very, very comfortable with everything I have done at the law school, including my good faith efforts with respect to every student I have encountered at the law school. I am also pretty darn comfortable with, utilizing Dr. Martin Luther King's words, the "content of my character". It is accordingly my hope that you will not hesitate to reach out to me for any reason at any time. Same for other Pritzker students—past, present and future.

I am very confident that the law school will grow and prosper in the coming years. There are many, many people at the law school who very much care about you and your education. Pritzker is a great school and will become even greater in the near term and over the longer term.

I have really, really enjoyed my time at the law school. I feel blessed, honored and privileged to have had the opportunity to spend so much time working with you and others at the school.

I no longer have the listserv email list for my fall PE and fall M&A classes—I would appreciate it if you would forward this to any current or past students or others you know who might otherwise have an interest in the matters referenced herein.

Also, I am including some additional email addresses if you want to reach me (not sure what will happen with the Northwestern email address).

Karl Lutz

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Gus Fring wrote:wow lutz was fired. This is ridiculous I took a class with him and he was great.

​​
To the enrolled students of Lutz for academic year 2017-2018,

I want to make you aware of developments concerning my personal situation at the law school. I decided to delay informing you of these developments until after graduation, not wanting to be a distraction to graduation festivities.

Days before graduation, I received an email from outgoing Dean Dan Rodriquez containing an attachment of a letter addressed to me that informed me that I would no longer be teaching at the law school. The letter said, in part:

"Dear Karl, I write with the news that this academic year, 2017-2018 will be your last as a full-time faculty member with the position of Senior Lecturer...This decision is not based upon unsatisfactory performance, but is the result of our assessment of teaching resources, especially in the business law area. During the past three years, we have steadily added full-time faculty…, all of whom are teaching, or will teach in this area, including the core Business Associations course."

(A mild detour at this point--I have not taught Business Association since the 2014-2015 academic year....)

To say that I was shocked that outgoing Dean Rodriquez fired me would be a gross understatement. To learn of this decision via email was truly remarkable.

I have been teaching at Northwestern Law for more than ten years. I think that all of you have a pretty good sense of how hard I work to do whatever I can to be of assistance to you and the other students at the law school. This year alone, 269 of you have been in my classes or anticipate being in my summer class, including 180 JDs and JD/MBAs, 85 LLMs, and even a few MSLs.

You and the other Pritzker students have been wonderful to me, both with your continuous expressions of gratitude and also by honoring me with teaching recognition—both the selection of me as Last Lecturer in 2016 and 2017 (and the nomination in 2018, which I declined) and your selection of me "most outstanding teacher" (the Childres Award) in 2017.

I don’t know the real reason(s) why outgoing Dean Rodriguez has taken the action to terminate me--nobody has told me. In the past couple of years several years prior to my termination letter, I have requested to meet with Dean Rodriguez with respect to my personal employment situation on several occasions, but he has not obliged.

I have been further advised that the outgoing dean’s personnel decision will not be reconsidered. In fact, via another email, outgoing Dean Rodriguez has directed me to people on his personal staff, and facilities staff with respect to my Northwestern office, to proceed with an “orderly” transition. So I guess this means that the jerseys in my office windows will be coming down soon—maybe I will hang them at half-mast for a few days before they are removed…

Will I have any relationship to the school going forward? I am told no. For now, I want you to know that I have completed my grading of the 158 of you who were in my classes during the spring term. I thought I would be teaching 21 of you a PE class this summer, and I had agreed to work with at least two additional students this summer on research matters, but, obviously, this will not be happening. My sincere apologies to all of you and others for whatever inconveniences this will cause.

I am hopeful that I can continue to be of assistance to you in the future. And regardless of what the outgoing dean or anybody might think or say about me, I am very, very comfortable with everything I have done at the law school, including my good faith efforts with respect to every student I have encountered at the law school. I am also pretty darn comfortable with, utilizing Dr. Martin Luther King's words, the "content of my character". It is accordingly my hope that you will not hesitate to reach out to me for any reason at any time. Same for other Pritzker students—past, present and future.

I am very confident that the law school will grow and prosper in the coming years. There are many, many people at the law school who very much care about you and your education. Pritzker is a great school and will become even greater in the near term and over the longer term.

I have really, really enjoyed my time at the law school. I feel blessed, honored and privileged to have had the opportunity to spend so much time working with you and others at the school.

I no longer have the listserv email list for my fall PE and fall M&A classes—I would appreciate it if you would forward this to any current or past students or others you know who might otherwise have an interest in the matters referenced herein.

Also, I am including some additional email addresses if you want to reach me (not sure what will happen with the Northwestern email address).

Karl Lutz
I don't know if there is anything wrong with sharing this, but you should delete his e-mail addresses

NU_grad2018

New

Post by NU_grad2018 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Gus Fring wrote:wow lutz was fired. This is ridiculous I took a class with him and he was great.
Folks, please sign a petition in support of Prof. Lutz's reinstatement as Senior Lecturer: https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-prof ... e_petition

It's reprehensible that an invaluable longtime faculty member could be fired in such an unceremonious manner(over email).

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:19 pm

grades today or nah

Kinky John

Silver

Unsatisfactory performance

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NU_grad2018

New

Post by NU_grad2018 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:59 pm

NU_grad2018 wrote:
Folks, please sign a petition in support of Prof. Lutz's reinstatement as Senior Lecturer: https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-prof ... e_petition

It's reprehensible that an invaluable longtime faculty member could be fired in such an unceremonious manner(over email).
Apparently the Dean is not interested in engaging in civil dialogue with the law school community via Twitter. He blocked me after I tweeted at him once with a reasonable question. https://www.screencast.com/t/N7RVbdg2lYDa

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:07 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:grades today or nah
History says yes, but my gut says maybe

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Kinky John wrote:
I think they were distributed June 7 in 2016, which was a Tuesday (or maybe Wednesday). So I'm no longer holding my breath for today. My guess is early next week. I hope to stand corrected!

mnelsa14

New

Post by mnelsa14 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Kinky John wrote:
They have their hands full handling the student backlash re Lutz’s ouster.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”