Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
onionz

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by onionz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:07 am

Slow Your Roll wrote:
ghostoftraynor wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:Is 13 credits a normal amount to take or not enough? I'm thinking about doing ITA and one other 3-credit class. I don't want to look like a slacker in my clerkship apps, but I'd also love to take a lighter load to help balance callbacks/job search stuff/clerkship apps.
No idea about clerking, but for normal people that should be fine. Fall 2L can get really busy, especially if you are doing a journal.
What about only 12 credits (4 classes)? Would that look bad generally or for clerkship apps?
Way overthinking this. No one cares. Just do well in whatever you take.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am

onionz wrote:
Slow Your Roll wrote:
ghostoftraynor wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:Is 13 credits a normal amount to take or not enough? I'm thinking about doing ITA and one other 3-credit class. I don't want to look like a slacker in my clerkship apps, but I'd also love to take a lighter load to help balance callbacks/job search stuff/clerkship apps.
No idea about clerking, but for normal people that should be fine. Fall 2L can get really busy, especially if you are doing a journal.
What about only 12 credits (4 classes)? Would that look bad generally or for clerkship apps?
Way overthinking this. No one cares. Just do well in whatever you take.
It doesn't matter for apps, but if you have a really light term you're going to have to make it up at some point. The people I know who had to cram 16-17 credits in per term 3L kind of hated life because the rest of us had 11-12 credits of easy class and were never on campus.
Also, Get your multi-draft writing requirements out of the way.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote: It doesn't matter for apps, but if you have a really light term you're going to have to make it up at some point. The people I know who had to cram 16-17 credits in per term 3L kind of hated life because the rest of us had 11-12 credits of easy class and were never on campus.
Also, Get your multi-draft writing requirements out of the way.
I took 17 credits the last 3 semesters because there were so many classes I wanted to take. I had way more credits than I needed to graduate. :oops:

New

Post by 7777777 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Random: I feel it is weird to put your GPA on your LinkedIn profile.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Does anyone know if we can still use our lockers that were assigned to us at the beginning of the school year?

I am taking a half day to go to Lolla and I want to know if I can stash my work clothes at school or if I have to go all the way home from downtown to change.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:Does anyone know if we can still use our lockers that were assigned to us at the beginning of the school year?

I am taking a half day to go to Lolla and I want to know if I can stash my work clothes at school or if I have to go all the way home from downtown to change.
Since you keep the same locker your entire time at NU and the combo doesn't change, I don’t see why not.

moneyball026

Bronze

Post by moneyball026 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:14 pm

7777777 wrote:Random: I feel it is weird to put your GPA on your LinkedIn profile.
wait so recruiters from vault 10 firms arent patrolling linkedin looking for high GPA'd students to hire? my life has been a lie.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Chrstgtr wrote:Does anyone know if we can still use our lockers that were assigned to us at the beginning of the school year?

Since you keep the same locker your entire time at NU and the combo doesn't change, I don’t see why not.
You can use your lockers during the summer.

mragsdale

New

Housing Question

Post by mragsdale » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:48 pm

Has anyone here lived in Hyde Park/close to UofC campus and commuted to Northwestern as a 1L? Or have experience living 45 min to 1 hr away by PT from NU in general? How much of an inconvenience was it?

I'm having an issue with the idea of paying $900+/month on housing alone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:54 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

mragsdale

New

Re: Housing Question

Post by mragsdale » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:13 pm

Hyde park because it's CHEAP ( 350 to 750 rent :shock: ) and my boyfriend is going to UofC Law so we could live together. But I don't want to end up in a position where it'll be a hassle to get to and from the school every day & the distance interferes with my studies or my ability to participate in social stuff. I don't know Chicago at all so I don't have a sense of how much of an inconvenience it would be.

I'm not going to have a car.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:05 pm

mragsdale wrote:Hyde park because it's CHEAP ( 350 to 750 rent :shock: ) and my boyfriend is going to UofC Law so we could live together. But I don't want to end up in a position where it'll be a hassle to get to and from the school every day & the distance interferes with my studies or my ability to participate in social stuff. I don't know Chicago at all so I don't have a sense of how much of an inconvenience it would be.

I'm not going to have a car.
You could commute by public transit pretty easily if you live near the 6 and are willing to change buses. I have family in hyde park so I go there pretty often and you could take the 6 most of the way and then catch the 3 or the 151 the rest of the way. It's annoying but not impossible. I would be more worried about the winter, because you might have to wait for the second bus, and buses are super slow when it is snowing/raining so you'd definitely have to allocate more travel time.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:31 pm

Have your boyfriend commute. Hyde park is boring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

larry_david

New

Post by larry_david » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 pm

mragsdale wrote:Has anyone here lived in Hyde Park/close to UofC campus and commuted to Northwestern as a 1L? Or have experience living 45 min to 1 hr away by PT from NU in general? How much of an inconvenience was it?

I am going into my final year. I now live in Hyde Park and commute. Commuting is not thrilling, but is easy enough. The 6 was mentioned above, but the 2 is much better. The 2 runs express during the week. http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... ules/2.pdf It runs from Hyde Park to basically three blocks from NU. Make your boyfriend ask for student housing right outside a 2 stop, like around 52ndish and Kenwood. There is plenty and it is decently nice. He will have a bit longer walk, but it would be a fair compromise. I usually just take the first bus out and either read or listen to a lecture-type-thing. People are quiet then and delays are rare. One day in Winter you will be mad at me for this advice. But, given how much you can save, I think it is a good choice. Also, in a weird way, commuting kind of forces you to structure your time better, and at least personally made me more efficient. There are a lot of awesome neighborhoods in Chicago. But, if it is between Streeterville and Hyde Park, the latter wins by a mile, unless you want a striking lack of diversity and doubled rent. For the money you save living in HP, you could buy a legitimately nice meal every night of the week. Or, like, fund multiple vacations. And, again, its not like riding the bus means you cannot be productive. I realize you asked specifically about 1L here, but i think the above generally applies.

st-1

New

Post by st-1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:58 pm

st-1 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.
Any class that's the least amount of work with the easiest curves.
I don't think firms most care what classes you take.
Correct me if I'm wrong

mragsdale

New

Post by mragsdale » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:20 pm

larry_david wrote:
mragsdale wrote:Has anyone here lived in Hyde Park/close to UofC campus and commuted to Northwestern as a 1L? Or have experience living 45 min to 1 hr away by PT from NU in general? How much of an inconvenience was it?

I am going into my final year. I now live in Hyde Park and commute. Commuting is not thrilling, but is easy enough. The 6 was mentioned above, but the 2 is much better. The 2 runs express during the week. http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... ules/2.pdf It runs from Hyde Park to basically three blocks from NU. Make your boyfriend ask for student housing right outside a 2 stop, like around 52ndish and Kenwood. There is plenty and it is decently nice. He will have a bit longer walk, but it would be a fair compromise. I usually just take the first bus out and either read or listen to a lecture-type-thing. People are quiet then and delays are rare. One day in Winter you will be mad at me for this advice. But, given how much you can save, I think it is a good choice. Also, in a weird way, commuting kind of forces you to structure your time better, and at least personally made me more efficient. There are a lot of awesome neighborhoods in Chicago. But, if it is between Streeterville and Hyde Park, the latter wins by a mile, unless you want a striking lack of diversity and doubled rent. For the money you save living in HP, you could buy a legitimately nice meal every night of the week. Or, like, fund multiple vacations. And, again, its not like riding the bus means you cannot be productive. I realize you asked specifically about 1L here, but i think the above generally applies.
This is really helpful. Thank you! My options now are living on the 66, the Red Line, the 3, the 6, or the 2.

Suggestions on neighborhoods in Chicago besides Hyde Park that are similarly cheap (and thus diverse)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
st-1 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.
Correct me if I'm wrong
Corporate Finance. Also, Lynda.com if you're not already an expert in Word, Powerpoint and Excel . . . this is doubly important if you're interested in becoming a comma jockey.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:32 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong
Corporate Finance. Also, Lynda.com if you're not already an expert in Word, Powerpoint and Excel . . . this is doubly important if you're interested in becoming a comma jockey.
Never realized until this summer how much money you can make by being a human spell checker and copy-paste master

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong
Never realized until this summer how much money you can make by being a human spell checker and copy-paste master
It really demonstrates that law professors should let us copy and paste on all of our finals.

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Is there a place where I can find a list of especially tough (grading) professors. I'm not looking for easy, but I'd like to avoid particularly hard graders.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:13 am

Last edited by crumb cake on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm

would it be a horrible idea to use all my bid points? I know they are for fall and spring semesters but isn't it more than likely that most of them will be refunded? so i feel like i can use all of them, just to make sure I get the classes I want. opinions appreciated :mrgreen:

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:06 pm

NU uses examsoft for exams right? I got an email from examsoft a couple months back saying not to upgrade to windows 10 Bc it's not supported.

Anyone know more about this? should we just hold off so it doesn't impact our exams?

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”