Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Icculus

Silver

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:27 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote: I'm expecting painful role-playing games of negotiating and arguing over ethical dilemmas. Am I way off base?
nope.
Oh goody.
bring a flask.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:29 am

Icculus wrote:
bring a flask.
but don't mix your drinks in front of administrators. they don't like it much.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 am

The Starbucks cool lime Refreshers Via tastes pretty much exactly like a mojito. And light rum looks like water.

Just thinking out loud.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 am

rinkrat19 wrote:The Starbucks cool lime Refreshers Via tastes pretty much exactly like a mojito. And light rum looks like water.

Just thinking out loud.
I usually just pour some Captain Morgan in a 20 oz of coke and it does the trick.

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am

Vodka and sprite in a water bottle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:54 am

you really don't have to be that secretive. no one is going to question your diet coke looking a little pale.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 am

Recent NU admit here with a quick question. What's the general consensus on the few K-JDs in each of your classes? Is it an advantage/disadvantage to be one amongst a sea of those with WE, or a null point at OCI?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 am

dsn32 wrote:Recent NU admit here with a quick question. What's the general consensus on the few K-JDs in each of your classes? Is it an advantage/disadvantage to be one amongst a sea of those with WE, or a null point at OCI?
There are so few that I wouldn't want to hazard a guess attributing any successes/failures to lack of WE.

demarco5

New

Post by demarco5 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 am

Sorry if this was covered already, but what do most students do in terms of housing? All of those apartment complexes on the admitted students website look beautiful - and crazy expensive. So are the ones I found through StudentSpace. Are there cheaper neighborhoods that a lot of students live in? Or will there be more affordable apartments posted closer to the end of the semester? Do most people have roommates?

And I assume having a car is not necessary? (Sorry - I'm not familiar with Chicago at all.) Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 pm

demarco5 wrote:Sorry if this was covered already, but what do most students do in terms of housing? All of those apartment complexes on the admitted students website look beautiful - and crazy expensive. So are the ones I found through StudentSpace. Are there cheaper neighborhoods that a lot of students live in? Or will there be more affordable apartments posted closer to the end of the semester? Do most people have roommates?

And I assume having a car is not necessary? (Sorry - I'm not familiar with Chicago at all.) Any help is appreciated, thanks!
This has been answered several times. The abrdiged version: Lakeview and Lincoln Park are way more affordable and usually a 15-25 minute train/bus ride depending on where you live.

1L year I lived in Albany Park whihc I think is too far, but I had a huge 2 bed for under 12 (living room, sun room, dining room, eat in kitchen). I now live in a high rise in Lakeview 2 bed for $1550 right on Lakeshore. The express busses all stop outside my apartment and I'm at school in about 20 minutes.

Edit: Ukranian Village is also a more affordable option and can get you to school pretty quickly. I also came here withn a car and sold it this past summer. Selling it was a great decision.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 pm

demarco5 wrote:Sorry if this was covered already, but what do most students do in terms of housing? All of those apartment complexes on the admitted students website look beautiful - and crazy expensive. So are the ones I found through StudentSpace. Are there cheaper neighborhoods that a lot of students live in? Or will there be more affordable apartments posted closer to the end of the semester? Do most people have roommates?

I am a vote for living near campus, at least for a year until you figure things out. The apartments through StudentSpace are typical. They really are that small, and that expensive. Most people do not have roommates, unless they brought a SO with them. NU's cost of living estimate will cover a studio apartment nearby for 9 months (summer is another, separate, story) if you can follow a budget, and it is REALLY NICE to be a 5-minute walk from campus. It removes one more source of stress. If there's a business casual event in the evening, I don't have to try and keep my nice clothes clean and unwrinkled all day; I can go home and change and come back. I can go home for lunch, or to grab a book I forgot, and I can roll out of bed and make it to campus on time if I overslept, not depending on the CTA being on time. A lot of people live around here 1L year, and then choose a more homey neighborhood for 2L year.

A car is definitely not necessary. The big apartment buildings are going to charge $200-300/month for parking, so almost no one has a car. There's a good selection of Zipcars nearby if you really need to make trips to Costco or Ikea, but most of the time you can walk and take CTA. (Students get a CTA pass that is good while classes are in session.) The El and the buses are very extensive, and you can easily (if not quickly) get all over the city.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm

No more free Westlaw prints? This is some bullshit.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:No more free Westlaw prints? This is some bullshit.
Just saw that. :evil:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:No more free Westlaw prints? This is some bullshit.
On the other hand, at least we don't have CLR next year.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:58 pm

For me, it'll be 3L so it's not like I need to actually buy casebooks anyway.

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Let's all forget WestlawNext ever existed and make friends with Lexis.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:23 pm

purpletiger wrote:Let's all forget WestlawNext ever existed and make friends with Lexis.
Only if Lexis stops sucking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Let's all forget WestlawNext ever existed and make friends with Lexis.
The only redeeming quality of Lexis is the free (better) candy in the lab.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:38 pm

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Lexis classic is my default starting place

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:52 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Masochist.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
How terrible would it be to walk in to your job and be told, "So we only use Lexis here, and really only classic." God, that woudl suck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
How terrible would it be to walk in to your job and be told, "So we only use Lexis here, and really only classic." God, that woudl suck.
Summer job this year only had Lexis classic, and very limited access at that (local gov't gig)...I like how much easier it is to drill down with a few clicks rather than trust the almighty search bar...although it might also be based on the fact that I always sat right by the Lexis lab last fall what with the printing and candy and all.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:21 pm

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
They had some great ear plugs there at the beginning of last year too.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Summer job this year only had Lexis classic, and very limited access at that (local gov't gig)...I like how much easier it is to drill down with a few clicks rather than trust the almighty search bar...although it might also be based on the fact that I always sat right by the Lexis lab last fall what with the printing and candy and all.
So the few times I attempt to use classic I feel like my 70 y/o mother when I fisrt showed her how to email.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:41 pm

And so it begins.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”