Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
feralinfant

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by feralinfant » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Can anyone comment on how much work a 2 credit RA position typically entails?

ymcmb

New

Post by ymcmb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:05 am

Wasn't sure where else to ask this, but do many firms from Cali go to NU for OCI? Was just admitted to transfer to NU trying to figure out if I will have a shot at returning.

Do a lot of people try to go back to Cali? The numbers show that some people do end up back there but the number is small, not sure if its because not many firms go or because not many people try to go back at all.

Thank you!!!!

382piccadilly

New

Post by 382piccadilly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:03 am

ymcmb wrote:Wasn't sure where else to ask this, but do many firms from Cali go to NU for OCI? Was just admitted to transfer to NU trying to figure out if I will have a shot at returning.

Do a lot of people try to go back to Cali? The numbers show that some people do end up back there but the number is small, not sure if its because not many firms go or because not many people try to go back at all.

Thank you!!!!
you have a really solid chance of returning to Cali if you have ties there. NU consistently places well with California firms and has a Los Angeles OTIP. If you're diverse you can also utilize the Bay Area Diversity Fair for CA firms.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:18 am

ymcmb wrote:Wasn't sure where else to ask this, but do many firms from Cali go to NU for OCI? Was just admitted to transfer to NU trying to figure out if I will have a shot at returning.

Thank you!!!!
Is the number small? 14% of NU's employed grads from the last reporting period ended up in CA. That seems about as good as it gets outside of California schools.

For comparison:

Chicago: 16.7%
Michigan: 10.5%
Columbia: 9.6%
Cornell: 8.4%
NYU: 7.8%
Georgetown: 7.5%
Virginia: 7.3%
Penn: 7.1%
Duke: 6.7%

The numbers seem to vary somewhat year to year though. I don't mean to suggest this is the ranking of how well schools place into California.

ETA: California accounts for 12%-13% of the total lawyers in the country.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:28 am

the LA and SF otip programs can't be bid on anymore though, so that doesn't really help transfers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymcmb

New

Post by ymcmb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:10 am

Dr. Filth wrote:the LA and SF otip programs can't be bid on anymore though, so that doesn't really help transfers

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it and have a tough decision to make....

Any idea on how many firms go to OTIP? I'll ask career services today to see if they accommodate transfers at all.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 am

ymcmb wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:the LA and SF otip programs can't be bid on anymore though, so that doesn't really help transfers

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it and have a tough decision to make....

Any idea on how many firms go to OTIP? I'll ask career services today to see if they accommodate transfers at all.
SF had 14, LA had 14 or so too (Sheppard Mullin SoCal had a bunch of separate offices). Bidding is closed, however, and preselect schedule is slated to be released on Monday, so the OTIP ship may have sailed :cry:

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 am

Thank you!!!!
if you cant land a california firm job from nu, the reason isnt going to be 'not enough california firms come and recruit' - it's going to be the regular reasons: low grades, bad resume, bad interview, lack of ties, small summer classes or just bad luck.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:19 pm

FYI to the miserable 3Ls bitching on the listserv, the first 2 people on that chain are friends giving each other shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Cobretti wrote:FYI to the miserable 3Ls bitching on the listserv, the first 2 people on that chain are friends giving each other shit.
What's worse: miserable 3L's or unfunny 2L's that enjoy annoying anal law students?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:06 pm

pls describe buthurtness
'

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:15 pm

So do people generally realize that they're being unfunny when they're being unfunny or is this what it's like to be socially incompetent?

babblefish

New

Post by babblefish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:17 pm

I am convinced they think it is some kind of performance art.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:pls describe buthurtness
'

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:pls describe buthurtness
'
Lebron-troll e-mail --> Angry 3L "use spam tag" e-mail --> lol,umad e-mail --> something about sugar gliders --> more lebron --> random e-mails seemingly sent solely to piss aforementioned 3Ls off

We're almost 20 e-mails into it now. Figure it'll die down in the next 10-15 minutes, then we'll get yet another gentle reminder e-mail to not screw around on the listserv.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Why do people freak out like it's such a huge fucking affront if people post stupid shit and it goes into their inbox? 3L is wrong, even if the 2Ls are not funny douches.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:29 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:So do people generally realize that they're being unfunny when they're being unfunny or is this what it's like to be socially incompetent?
So do people generally realize that they're SPAM tagged? Don't like it? Filter it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Going to start signing off every email with:
"With a thousand butterfly kisses,
Dr. Filth"

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:36 pm

The first few emails aren't a big deal, but the longer it goes on, the more I lean towards the side that wants to nuke the people who started it. I don't even care about the spam tag. Why do people think the whole listserv needed to get one pointless email about basketball, let alone 20 of them?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:Why do people freak out like it's such a huge fucking affront if people post stupid shit and it goes into their inbox? 3L is wrong, even if the 2Ls are not funny douches.
Ty homie. Seriously, it's an email. People make it sound like someone shat on their chest and went "HEHEEHEHE."

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:02 pm

But guys tgere is stuff in my inbox and it's ruining my summer Friday

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:04 pm

feralinfant wrote:But guys tgere is stuff in my inbox and it's ruining my summer Friday
And omg, there is another email in the same thread as before, you know, the one I didn't like, and NOW I HAVE TO CHECK IT TOO. I am inconvenienced and am going to tell them about it.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:06 pm

bjsesq wrote:
feralinfant wrote:But guys tgere is stuff in my inbox and it's ruining my summer Friday
And omg, there is another email in the same thread as before, you know, the one I didn't like, and NOW I HAVE TO CHECK IT TOO. I am inconvenienced and am going to tell them about it.
The best part is that there are 3Ls complaining about this who are being non-responsive to real emails I've sent them and need answered.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:09 pm

Honestly most of the emails are okay it's just the repeat offenders that everyone hates and hopes they never ever have to work with in the real world.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:01 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Honestly most of the emails are okay it's just the repeat offenders that everyone hates and hopes they never ever have to work with in the real world.
Were you the person who said you couldn't wait for the public execution over selling Pitchfork tickets? It's Friday. During the summer. And it's tagged [SPAM]. Yeah guys, let's totally click the [SPAM] email that mentions sugar gliders in it fifteen times, cry about the four seconds that it took up, and really reinforce how normal and well adjusted law students are. Seriously. The emails are annoying? Ignore them. It's not like people are knocking on your office door asking you to desperately write a memo on the benefits of gliding squirrels and marsupials and then skipping away.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”