Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LRGhost

Gold

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by LRGhost » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:33 pm

jn7 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Anyone have a Shari Diamond Trademark outline? I have a couple of other TM outlines but the classes were clearly using a different book.
If anybody also has a Hughes 14th amendment outline, would be greatly appreciated
+1, will buy person beer.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:05 pm

LRGhost wrote:
jn7 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Anyone have a Shari Diamond Trademark outline? I have a couple of other TM outlines but the classes were clearly using a different book.
If anybody also has a Hughes 14th amendment outline, would be greatly appreciated
Also Koehler Evidence.

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
d cooper wrote:There was recently a thread about attending the lower-T14 at sticker. Given NU's reputation for being splitter-friendly, sticker at NU can end up being a splitter applicant's only T14 option. Since NU's Biglaw stats are typically better than its peers, this is arguably a saner choice than some of the other lower-T14 schools.

So, to those for whom this is relevant: How do you feel about your decision to pay sticker (or close to it)? Would you do it again?
+1 to all of blump's stuff

i always thought there was a break-even point of debt where i might as well just increase my big law (+ other good jobs) odds. a half tuition scholarship at a good non-T14 is still going to leave you in a shit ton of debt, and you will have to have a high paying job to not have the interest swallow you whole.

plus if you strike out from here, there's always PAYE!

/1L that came from a shitty liberal arts + shitty job background
Thanks for the response. That's an optimistic outlook.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:16 pm

d cooper wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
d cooper wrote:There was recently a thread about attending the lower-T14 at sticker. Given NU's reputation for being splitter-friendly, sticker at NU can end up being a splitter applicant's only T14 option. Since NU's Biglaw stats are typically better than its peers, this is arguably a saner choice than some of the other lower-T14 schools.

So, to those for whom this is relevant: How do you feel about your decision to pay sticker (or close to it)? Would you do it again?

i always thought there was a break-even point of debt where i might as well just increase my big law (+ other good jobs) odds. a half tuition scholarship at a good non-T14 is still going to leave you in a shit ton of debt, and you will have to have a high paying job to not have the interest swallow you whole.

Thanks for the response. That's an optimistic outlook.
graduating 3L here. Don't regret it, but not quite enthused with the debt load going forward. NU gave me options I wasn't going to get anywhere else. Before law school, I had a poli sci degree and wasn't really going to find any good jobs in my home state despite a great resume. Also the student body at NU is great and I've made a lot of great friends. The administration is pretty mediocre, but the quality of your peers helps counter their shitty-ness.

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
jn7 wrote:
Also Koehler Evidence.
+1 to Koehler. Also offering beer (or shot?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:58 pm

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:14 am

Desert Fox wrote:Koehler evidence outlines
You are awesome. Thank you!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:28 am

Dr. Filth wrote:

Alum who was in a rough, rough spot until recently. I am still satisfied with my decision to go to NU. It's limiting a lot of my options (car loans, can't even consider getting a home) but the recent influx of cash into the LRAP program, plus PSLF, plus IBR/PAYE is making my future look decent. Plus, I met some amazing people at NU and I am continuing to keep in touch with many of them. Just know that life is likely going to suck for at least a couple of years after law school. Fight through it and do it right so you can get financially level and enjoy some payoff.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:39 am

Hey all! Rising 1L here. While I hear that Streeterville is a great place to live, I am very interested in securing housing for about $700/month. I'm perfectly fine with renting a room in a shared house. From most people, I have heard that I should suck it up, pay $1350/month, and live close to school. While I see that this is clearly the best option for the sake of convenience, I want to ask for your opinions on the most practical alternative to living in Streeterville for savings and convenience as an NU student. I wont have a car, and I hear late night El trains to Logan Square aren't the most inviting. Any ideas? Thanks, everyone, and feel free to pm me if you prefer. I hope to see some of you next month at ASW!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:43 am

If you are willing to have a roommate, there are tons of options. West town/Ukrainian village is the one I always recommend. Straight shot over on the 66.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:44 am

whereskyle wrote:Hey all! Rising 1L here. While I hear that Streeterville is a great place to live, I am very interested in securing housing for about $700/month. I'm perfectly fine with renting a room in a shared house. From most people, I have heard that I should suck it up, pay $1350/month, and live close to school. While I see that this is clearly the best option for the sake of convenience, I want to ask for your opinions on the most practical alternative to living in Streeterville for savings and convenience as an NU student. I wont have a car, and I hear late night El trains to Logan Square aren't the most inviting. Any ideas? Thanks, everyone, and feel free to pm me if you prefer. I hope to see some of you next month at ASW!
Streeterville sucks. You shouldn't be at school late unless you want to be. You can work from home.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:49 am

bjsesq wrote:If you are willing to have a roommate, there are tons of options. West town/Ukrainian village is the one I always recommend. Straight shot over on the 66.
Wonderful to read that a student and recent alum think living in streeterville isn't necessary. Any advice on rental searches for West Town/Ukrainian village/greater area? Craigslist doesn't enable me to search by neighborhood. Thanks, again.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:26 pm

whereskyle wrote:
bjsesq wrote:If you are willing to have a roommate, there are tons of options. West town/Ukrainian village is the one I always recommend. Straight shot over on the 66.
Wonderful to read that a student and recent alum think living in streeterville isn't necessary. Any advice on rental searches for West Town/Ukrainian village/greater area? Craigslist doesn't enable me to search by neighborhood. Thanks, again.
I used https://www.padmapper.com

it lets you see where the ads are on google maps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 pm

whereskyle wrote:
You can use padmapper (http://www.padmapper.com/). It won't let you search by neighborhood per se, but you can just pan the map over to the areas you're interested in. Then once you have some addresses you can plug them into Google Maps to make sure the commute isn't too bad. Most places close to the red line are fine and there are a lot of buses that will take you to within 2-3 blocks of school.

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Kikero wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
You can use padmapper (http://www.padmapper.com/). It won't let you search by neighborhood per se, but you can just pan the map over to the areas you're interested in. Then once you have some addresses you can plug them into Google Maps to make sure the commute isn't too bad. Most places close to the red line are fine and there are a lot of buses that will take you to within 2-3 blocks of school.
Any of the express buses going down LSD (like the 146, 147, 148, etc.) will get you to school in 25-35 minutes. Faster and a shorter walk than the red line, in my opinion.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Seconded. If you're close to an express bus your commute will be unspeakably easy. The hands down best thing about my lakeview place is the 146 stop outside. If there's no traffic I can get to school in under 15 minutes.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Thank you, everyone. I'm already looking at places in my price range. Anyone feel like sharing one's opinions of the pros and cons of nearby neighborhoods? Im entirely new to Chicago. I'll be spending 5 days in town over ASW, but I don't really have time to get to know the place (contracted to work till August). Your insights are typically quite helpful. If one is available, I'll gladly accept a reference to a trusty source.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:53 pm

whereskyle wrote:Thank you, everyone. I'm already looking at places in my price range. Anyone feel like sharing one's opinions of the pros and cons of nearby neighborhoods? Im entirely new to Chicago. I'll be spending 5 days in town over ASW, but I don't really have time to get to know the place (contracted to work till August). Your insights are typically quite helpful. If one is available, I'll gladly accept a reference to a trusty source.
if you search this thread, you will find a lot of good info. thats what i did when i was looking for apt's.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Thank you, everyone. I'm already looking at places in my price range. Anyone feel like sharing one's opinions of the pros and cons of nearby neighborhoods? Im entirely new to Chicago. I'll be spending 5 days in town over ASW, but I don't really have time to get to know the place (contracted to work till August). Your insights are typically quite helpful. If one is available, I'll gladly accept a reference to a trusty source.
if you search this thread, you will find a lot of good info. thats what i did when i was looking for apt's.
Your ava is shit now change it back bro

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:20 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
Your ava is shit now change it back bro
dont shit up another thread w yr nonsense, m8

d cooper

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by d cooper » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:47 pm

bk1 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
bk1 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Is the legal writing still graded, but uncurved? The last thread I found about it was a couple years old. Sorry if this has been answered previously.
Yes.
Aren't they changing it before next year?
Oh yeah. No clue on what they're doing though.
This was posted around this time last year. Any changes?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Legal writing is curved now

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:54 pm

dstars823 wrote:Legal writing is curved now
But it is curved to a higher median, correct? I think something like 3.5 was thrown around.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 pm

jn7 wrote:
But it is curved to a higher median, correct? I think something like 3.5 was thrown around.
If that's true it probably is a plus over uncurved, at least for some professors.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Kikero wrote:
jn7 wrote:
If that's true it probably is a plus over uncurved, at least for some professors.
and I believe that is why it is started being curved

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”