Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Gold

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:56 am

Lieut Kaffee wrote:The last few posters ITT are misinformed. Northwestern just announced a new ED program whereby all applicants accepted this cycle via ED are awarded a $150,000 scholarship. So, an ED student would never pay more than ~$60k-70k in Cost of Living.

More importantly, a 164/3.3 has utterly no shot.
I've not heard this (but I'm not that plugged in, either) do you have a source/link?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:22 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:The last few posters ITT are misinformed. Northwestern just announced a new ED program whereby all applicants accepted this cycle via ED are awarded a $150,000 scholarship. So, an ED student would never pay more than ~$60k-70k in Cost of Living.

I've not heard this (but I'm not that plugged in, either) do you have a source/link?
I'm not sure the most official places to look, but I was told directly by a higher-up in the admissions office, then I made a post about it, and I was responded to with some links/confirmations.

Here

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:21 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

Get plugged in: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=162897 ;)

Also, source: https://plus.google.com/102552009136948752045/posts <-- Johann Lee's G+ page. Should be the first post, and the comment following.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:37 pm

See my post above. OP knows (at least now) that the policy changed. It's just not clear what will happen to people who used to get in ED that wouldn't have gotten in RD (will they get in or not? Should they ED even if they have no shot at a full ride scholly?)

They (poster) just want to know if NU is worth sticker.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:39 pm

bdubs wrote:See my post above. OP knows (at least now) that the policy changed. It's just not clear what will happen to people who used to get in ED that wouldn't have gotten in RD (will they get in or not? Should they ED even if they have no shot at a full ride scholly?) They just want to know if NU is worth sticker.
OP wrote:and the fact if I go ED NU can obligate me to pay full price with little or no incentive to give me any financial aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
chameleonia wrote:Did any of you apply ED and get money, or know if anyone applying ED gets money?
They revised the ED policy recently and will be offering full-ride scholarships to all accepted ED applicants. It's not clear what effect this will have on people who otherwise would have only gotten in ED.

PS - Are you a URM? If not you will have a tough time with ED(under the old system) unless your LSAT comes back at or above the level that you averaged on your PTs.
chameleonia wrote:Is NU worth 220-240k?
That's hard to answer without some info on your career goals. I doubt you would get much scholarship money from any T14 with a 3.3 (unless URM).

Did you even read the previous posts? We already talked about the new policy, so OP is now informed.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:51 pm

FWIW, this is what the OP said after he was "informed":
What I'm getting at w/ my question about whether or not NU is worth the $ isn't so much about holding out for scholarship money from other T14 schools, its more about comparing NU at full price to a respectable regional school (with a few strong specialties) for free (possible with a 170+ LSAT)

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:FWIW, this is what the OP said after he was "informed":
What I'm getting at w/ my question about whether or not NU is worth the $ isn't so much about holding out for scholarship money from other T14 schools, its more about comparing NU at full price to a respectable regional school (with a few strong specialties) for free (possible with a 170+ LSAT)
Don't see what is wrong with that. No question that OP will not be getting the ED "full ride" deal, so they are comparing what they might get (NU at sticker) to another possible choice (regional with sizable scholarship).

They will most likely not be committed to attend NU since they won't be admitted ED, but that doesn't really alter the question.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Do any NU students want to help me make my decision as to whether or not to ED to NU (assuming I have shot?) as opposed to rolling the dice and see how much money I could get for a T10 school? PM me or answer me in here. I am basically aiming for biglaw and would be happy to work in Chicago. I know others are faced with the same decision :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Strange wrote:Do any NU students want to help me make my decision as to whether or not to ED to NU (assuming I have shot?) as opposed to rolling the dice and see how much money I could get for a T10 school? PM me or answer me in here. I am basically aiming for biglaw and would be happy to work in Chicago. I know others are faced with the same decision :D
I think recent evidence would suggest that NU's is a pretty decent bet for biglaw, if you get the ED you get to go for basically free meaning solid shot at biglaw with minimal debt. If you don't get it, it's not going to hurt your t10 chances for $$.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:08 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Strange wrote:Do any NU students want to help me make my decision as to whether or not to ED to NU (assuming I have shot?) as opposed to rolling the dice and see how much money I could get for a T10 school? PM me or answer me in here. I am basically aiming for biglaw and would be happy to work in Chicago. I know others are faced with the same decision :D
I think recent evidence would suggest that NU's is a pretty decent bet for biglaw, if you get the ED you get to go for basically free meaning solid shot at biglaw with minimal debt. If you don't get it, it's not going to hurt your t10 chances for $$.
I agree with all that. I just want to know, what's the increased chances of biglaw if you go further up the T10? Are MVP and N considered peers? Some have said 10%. I know you guys have heard these questions a million times but I'm really struggling with this... :D Thanks for your response though

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:14 pm

I personally think P > MV = N.

The problem with "rolling the dice" for money from MVP is that it's just a terrible bet. P is stingy as hell, V has only been taking EDers or in-staters the past couple cycles, and M is relatively unpredictable.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Strange wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
I agree with all that. I just want to know, what's the increased chances of biglaw if you go further up the T10? Are MVP and N considered peers? Some have said 10%. I know you guys have heard these questions a million times but I'm really struggling with this... :D Thanks for your response though
This is the best that I can do:
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/20 ... tatistics/
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1
http://www.princetonreview.com/law-school-rankings.aspx

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:44 pm

IAFG wrote:I personally think P > MV = N.

The problem with "rolling the dice" for money from MVP is that it's just a terrible bet. P is stingy as hell, V has only been taking EDers or in-staters the past couple cycles, and M is relatively unpredictable.
Doesn't M have the most formulaic method of doling out money?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:37 pm

bk187 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I personally think P > MV = N.

Doesn't M have the most formulaic method of doling out money?
Yes but I don't think they auto-admit as much as other t14s

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm

If you've got a shot at $150k at NU, you've got a good shot at HYS, and will probably get CCN with solid money. I don't see the case for Michigan/Virginia in that situation. They won't give you as much money as NU and I don't think their job prospects are at all better.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:24 pm

2L's/3L's: recommendations for elective classes and/or profs?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:30 pm

bk187 wrote:2L's/3L's: recommendations for elective classes and/or profs?
Profs: Ezra Friedman, Tonja Jacobi, Michael Barsa, Shari Diamond, Jim Speta, Jim Speta, Jim Speta.

Classes: Admin, Natural Resources/Enviro Law, Trademarks, Telecom.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:54 pm

rayiner wrote:
Profs: Ezra Friedman, Tonja Jacobi, Michael Barsa, Shari Diamond, Jim Speta, Jim Speta, Jim Speta.

Friedman only if you like/speak econ. I don't, and it makes it hard to keep up with him sometimes.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Friedman only if you like/speak econ. I don't, and it makes it hard to keep up with him sometimes.
You're welcome for the high jump bar.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:
You're welcome for the high jump bar.
bwahaha. so true.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 pm

rayiner wrote:

Ew, Admin blows. (I think. I never actually attend or read for that class.)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Holy shit I forgot im in that class.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:23 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I thought it was one of the more interesting classes, at least partly because the casebook is relatively good.

Also: Conflict of Laws with Pfander.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 pm

Last edited by Transferthrowaway on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”