Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flips88

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:40 pm

I would bet on a release this week, probably Thursday or Friday.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Flips88 wrote:I would bet on a release this week, probably Thursday or Friday.
I've been telling people I think grades will be out by this Friday and I stick by that.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I would bet on a release this week, probably Thursday or Friday.
I've been telling people I think grades will be out by this Friday and I stick by that.
I place my faith in you.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 pm

One of my professors confirmed that grades were due today and said that the registrar is going to release them "by Friday." She also offered to show everyone their individual grade breakdown if we emailed her and asked. So I've got at least one grade out of the way!

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Yes.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 am

Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?
Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:12 am

bk1 and rinkrat19,

Thank you. That's good to know. I'll try to visit the campus sometime this year.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:16 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?
Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.
True that. The free Ventra card will get you most places you need to go.

I will say, though, that cutting off free Ventra when school isn't in session is a total drag. Not just for folks like me working and commuting here in Chicago over the summer, but most of us who need airport transport before and after the semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I will say, though, that cutting off free Ventra when school isn't in session is a total drag. Not just for folks like me working and commuting here in Chicago over the summer, but most of us who need airport transport before and after the semester.
It's a bit of a bummer, but I just put $20 on my Ventra card account to use when class isn't in session. You can do it online. And going home for the summer/coming back in the fall I have to get a cab anyway (traveling with three huge bags, a backpack and a cat).

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 am

What? You get a free transit pass from school? It's like getting a metrocard for free here in NYC! That's amazing!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:24 am

Splitter1415 wrote:What? You get a free transit pass from school? It's like getting a metrocard for free here in NYC! That's amazing!
Well it's "free" in the sense that we are paying 50k+/year to go to school here and they also happen to give us a transit pass that works during the school year. So yeah, "free."

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:29 am

bk1 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:What? You get a free transit pass from school? It's like getting a metrocard for free here in NYC! That's amazing!
Well it's "free" in the sense that we are paying 50k+/year to go to school here and they also happen to give us a transit pass that works during the school year. So yeah, "free."
Hey, we could be paying 50k+ and not getting a transit pass.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30 am

I don't think any school in NYC does that. It's still very nice even when you are paying so much to attend law school.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:38 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Log on to your account (or create one) at https://www.ventrachicago.com/. You'll get to see when the U-PASS expires. The U-PASS was good until May 20th (some weeks after school) and it let out a few weeks after Fall semester too. You have to keep your eye on it but it's pretty neat that we get a week or two grace period. I'm assuming this is because the U-PASS we're receiving is some generic U-PASS that the CTA gives out to specified educational institutions that all are on different schedules but . . . it could also be because Northwestern is just that nice too.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am

OCI employer list is up on symplicity can't believe OCI is so quickly approaching :shock:

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm

so judging by last year's thread we won't know how many interview slots each firm has until bidding has opened, right?

And is there any way to download all this stuff off symplicity as a .csv or something?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Any recommendations for parking near/around downtown below $200/mo? I plan to take the metro (hopefully no more than ~15 minutes) to get to my car when needed.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:29 pm

kenwash wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Any recommendations for parking near/around downtown below $200/mo? I plan to take the metro (hopefully no more than ~15 minutes) to get to my car when needed.
If you're eligible, on campus parking is a really good deal.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/communi ... index.html

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
kenwash wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
If you're eligible, on campus parking is a really good deal.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/communi ... index.html
I'll be living <1mi from campus, so it looks like I won't qualify :( . Any other recommendations?

str8yolked

Bronze

Post by str8yolked » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:57 am

Hey guys, I'm on the WL for NU and my SO will be attending John Marshall this year. I'll be moving to Chicago whether or not I get off the WL. Do you guys have any suggestions for housing that's close to both schools? Would Streeterville be the most convenient?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:09 am

John Marshall is right off the Jackson Red Line stop, and NU is an easy walk from the Chicago Red Line stop, so anywhere close to the Red Line would work. That being said, the train can be really crowded sometimes, especially for your SO who will be going into the Loop pretty much during rush hours. Anywhere in the Loop or River North would be a reasonable distance from both schools as well. You could also potentially live in Ukrainian Village which a lot of people like. You could take the 66 bus along Chicago and your SO could take the Blue Line. There might be a lot of other good options, but I'm not too familiar with what buses get you to John Marshall in a reasonable amount of time.

I'd suggest just playing around with Google Maps to see how long it would take you to walk/bus/train from neighborhoods that people in this thread have recommended before to both schools and see what seems reasonable to you. And keep in mind that in the winter a 20 minute walk is worse than a 35 minute train ride.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:14 am

Kikero wrote:John Marshall is right off the Jackson Red Line stop, and NU is an easy walk from the Chicago Red Line stop, so anywhere close to the Red Line would work. That being said, the train can be really crowded sometimes, especially for your SO who will be going into the Loop pretty much during rush hours. Anywhere in the Loop or River North would be a reasonable distance from both schools as well. You could also potentially live in Ukrainian Village which a lot of people like. You could take the 66 bus along Chicago and your SO could take the Blue Line. There might be a lot of other good options, but I'm not too familiar with what buses get you to John Marshall in a reasonable amount of time.

I'd suggest just playing around with Google Maps to see how long it would take you to walk/bus/train from neighborhoods that people in this thread have recommended before to both schools and see what seems reasonable to you. And keep in mind that in the winter a 20 minute walk is worse than a 35 minute train ride.
I live in Streeterville and work around the corner from John Marshall right now and I agree with Kikero - the closer to a red line stop the better. Even living farther north (Lincoln Park/Lakeview) will be a 15-20 min commute MAX if you live within a few minutes walking distance of a red line stop - and living farther north will be cheaper.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am

John Marshall is right off a bunch of bus routes that go down State. If you lived in Streeterville, your SO could take the 29 bus which picks up on Grand and be let off right by John Marshall. Same goes for the South Loop going north. 29 lets off at Illinois & McClurg, which is a couple blocks south of NU Law.

str8yolked

Bronze

Post by str8yolked » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully I'll see you all at NU in a few months!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”