Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cobretti

Gold

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Cobretti » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:29 pm

star fox wrote:
francis5 wrote:
lemons wrote:
francis5 wrote:what can people tell me about:

markell
hoskins
borman
shapo
yuracko
Be prepared to teach yourself torts. And endure vaguely sexist comments. But I've heard good things about yuracko

ugh. well thats fantastic re: torts.
Nah, it's not too bad. Just use the most recent edition of his hornbook. Literally, all you need to know. Order now.
+1, his hornbook lines up perfectly with his lectures. He's the easiest torts professor you can have if you read the hornbook.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:10 pm

who is better to take fed jur with, pfander or redish??

i took con law with redish and I feel like I didn't learn much just because of his teaching style so i'm leaning towards pfander, but i don't know anything about him. does anyone have a syllabus they'd be willing to share?

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Any thoughts on Shapo's Torts and Products Liability class?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:07 am

I'm pretty confused about hornbooks. My understanding is that every doctrinal course has several different hornbooks, but if you're going to buy hornbooks in general, the "best" should be purchased. How can I figure out what the "best" is, particularly for civ pro, crim, property and contracts? I guess I'm wondering if students at NU agree on what the best hornbook is for each 1L course. I definitely want hornbooks but don't want to buy the "wrong" ones for money/efficient studying reasons. Is this something to ask the prof or students who took the prof the previous year? Wait until the syllabus arrives before buying?

ETA: Glannon's Guides are different from hornbooks right?

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:13 am

This is a decent overview:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=194417

You don't need to always buy a "hornbook" for every one of those classes and in some cases it won't even really help (I got one for Civ Pro and pretty much never opened it). A lot of true hornbooks are massive and cover topics way outside the scope of the course.

Contracts: I really liked the E&E
Civ Pro: Glannon E&E (must have) + Multiple Choice one a second
Crim: Dressler (just outstanding in every way)
Property: Understanding Property by Sprankling was excellent
Con Law: Chemerinsky

If you really want a hornbook for every class then more power to you, but I think it's going to eat up a ton of time and money and also not help you in the way the above books (some of which are in fact hornbooks like Chemerinsky) will. PM me with questions if you have any.

EDIT: Glannon guide is not a hornbook, it's a magical E&E.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:37 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I'm pretty confused about hornbooks. My understanding is that every doctrinal course has several different hornbooks, but if you're going to buy hornbooks in general, the "best" should be purchased. How can I figure out what the "best" is, particularly for civ pro, crim, property and contracts? I guess I'm wondering if students at NU agree on what the best hornbook is for each 1L course. I definitely want hornbooks but don't want to buy the "wrong" ones for money/efficient studying reasons. Is this something to ask the prof or students who took the prof the previous year? Wait until the syllabus arrives before buying?

ETA: Glannon's Guides are different from hornbooks right?
I also think it depends largely on the professor. For instance, for torts with shapo, definitely get his hornbook. For con law with redish, the chemerinsky supplement will probably not be too helpful. I'd suggest posting your professors and then people who had them in the past can comment :)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks for the explanation guys. I'm def not lookin to buy supplements willy nilly but want the right stuff. Just want to have materials in place from the get-go to make climbing up the 1L learning curve faster/a little bit easier. Here's my profs and the supplements I've got my hands on thus far.

Criminal Law, Leonard Rubinowitz
• Understanding Criminal Law, Sixth Edition, Joshua Dressler
• Glannon guide to criminal law

Contracts, Emily Kadens (heard the E&E can be pretty good? don't have it yet)
- Glannon guide to contracts

- Siegel's Essay and Multiple choice

Civil Procedure, Susan Provenzano (heard the E&E 7th ed. is pretty good, don't have it)
• Glannon Guide

Property, Nadav Shoked (heard Gilbert law summary is good, don't have it)
• E&E, 4th edition

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:04 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote: Contracts, Emily Kadens (heard the E&E can be pretty good? don't have it yet)
Don't use the E&E for Contracts with Kadens. She disagrees with the writers on several concepts so it could actually hurt you to read it. Focus your extra study time on reading her book really closely and analyzing her past exams and problems she gives you.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:07 pm

lemons wrote:who is better to take fed jur with, pfander or redish??

i took con law with redish and I feel like I didn't learn much just because of his teaching style so i'm leaning towards pfander, but i don't know anything about him. does anyone have a syllabus they'd be willing to share?
Loved pfanders fed jur. He's fairly straightforward with the way he teaches. Cold calls are barely a thing. He doesn't hold attendance against you. Tons of great outlines.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:11 am

3L Here:

1. Supplements (a broad category that includes hornbooks, E&Es, and a whole bunch of other types of study aids) can be super useful, or they can be a colossal waste of your time and money. And before you start school, *you have no way of knowing which outcome is more likely.* The usefulness of a supplement is going to vary tremendously based on your professor, your learning style (which may be very different in law school than in UG), the particular way the subject clicks or doesn't click in your head, and a host of other factors. The upshot is that you really, really should not rush out and spend a ton of money getting supplement(s) for all your classes right now. Give yourself a month of school to get acclimated and to figure out where you might need some extra help or another source of explanation. Seriously. I used a supplement for CivPro (thank you based Glannon), and I think I borrowed a friend's for some stuff in Property that I found tricky, but that was all. If you need a supplement for every class, that's totally fine. But more likely than not you won't, and you should save your money by giving yourself a fair shot at learning without them.

2. For the love of God don't use a supplement for Kadens. Just don't. She writes her own custom casebook, it says exactly what she thinks the law is (which is often quite different than what the supplement authors think). Just stick with that. She's very precise about what she wants.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Also, supplements will by way cheaper once you get here and upperclassmen are passing them out like candy.
I would wait two weeks in each class before deciding whether to use a supplement.
Ultimately, All this advice is pointless since y'all are neurotic 0Ls like we all were and we know you have a 10 ft stack of supplements already.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:27 pm

If I got into all the classes I want, there's no point to open enrollment, right? I thought I saw something about how if you want the class to be a 2 draft or a 3 draft class then you need to do that now...unsure about this, still trying to understand the draft requirements overall.

Also, it says I am not enrolled in classes but I got the classes I wanted/bid on...so I assume there's just a delay for that? Sorry - first timer here.

Calvin Murphy

Bronze

Post by Calvin Murphy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:30 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:If I got into all the classes I want, there's no point to open enrollment, right? I thought I saw something about how if you want the class to be a 2 draft or a 3 draft class then you need to do that now...unsure about this, still trying to understand the draft requirements overall.

Also, it says I am not enrolled in classes but I got the classes I wanted/bid on...so I assume there's just a delay for that? Sorry - first timer here.
There is a deadline for the 3-draft option, but it shouldn't pass until after classes have already started. I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

As for enrollment--you are correct...no one is enrolled yet (except for a handful of special permission enrollments outside of the typical bidding system).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:27 pm

You usually (always?) don't choose whether to take a class 1/2/3 drafts until you're in the class. The prof may require you to commit to one option right away or give you a short time to decide, and they may limit the number of multi-draft students (more work for them). But there's no difference at the enrollment stage. You don't choose the number of credits showing up in CAESAR; that happens later when you fill out the multi-draft certification form or not.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Thank you both!

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:55 am

2L here. Is BA, basic tax, negotiations too many 3 credit classes? I think BA and tax are the only curved classes im taking and i hear negotiations isnt too hard. im also taking two 2 credit classes that are uncurved. goal is to maximize gpa fwiw

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 am

Last edited by crumb cake on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 pm

champloo wrote:2L here. Is BA, basic tax, negotiations too many 3 credit classes? I think BA and tax are the only curved classes im taking and i hear negotiations isnt too hard. im also taking two 2 credit classes that are uncurved. goal is to maximize gpa fwiw
You'll be fine. If you really want to have an easy semester I'd drop tax for next and try to pick up another guaranteed A/A- class or similar (Bus. Gov. & Policy??). But BA and Tax aren't more difficult than any of your doctrinal classes (unless, of course, you don't know how depreciation/amortization or basic finance works in which case seriously read a book).

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:21 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
champloo wrote:2L here. Is BA, basic tax, negotiations too many 3 credit classes? I think BA and tax are the only curved classes im taking and i hear negotiations isnt too hard. im also taking two 2 credit classes that are uncurved. goal is to maximize gpa fwiw
You'll be fine. If you really want to have an easy semester I'd drop tax for next and try to pick up another guaranteed A/A- class or similar (Bus. Gov. & Policy??). But BA and Tax aren't more difficult than any of your doctrinal classes (unless, of course, you don't know how depreciation/amortization or basic finance works in which case seriously read a book).
Thanks! If I drop Tax and take it next semester I'd probably take Tax and M&A together. Would taking any of those two classes with 1L gunners be a problem?

holly45

New

Post by holly45 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:31 pm

For a class that requires you to be present on the first day, do you have to be there for the entire class, or can you leave after say 30 mins?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:51 pm

I don't understand Northwestern's LRAP. I am considering a PI career, but I would like to know how my loan situation would work out.

I will owe $120k, single with no kids.

Based on my expected salary, the calculator says:

Annual payments under standard 10-year repayment plan: $17471
Annual IBR Payment (using NU AGI): $5063
Annual unpaid interest: $4537
Annual LRAP Award: $6066 (75% IBR + 50% unpaid interest)

Based on this, what would my monthly payment be?

My read is that IBR will expect me to pay $5063 and Northwestern will cover 75%, $3797.25, so I will be responsible for $1265.75 a year. Now, if I do this for 10 years and make 120 monthly payments of ~$100, then I will have no loan balance at the end of the 10 years. During those 10 years, I am assuming I can work at any PI, DA/SA, clerkship, or USAO. But what would happen if I left after 5 years for biglaw job? Would it be as if I had paid down half of my debt?

Thanks for any help.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:00 am

180asBreath wrote:I don't understand Northwestern's LRAP. I am considering a PI career, but I would like to know how my loan situation would work out.

I will owe $120k, single with no kids.

Based on my expected salary, the calculator says:

Annual payments under standard 10-year repayment plan: $17471
Annual IBR Payment (using NU AGI): $5063
Annual unpaid interest: $4537
Annual LRAP Award: $6066 (75% IBR + 50% unpaid interest)

Based on this, what would my monthly payment be?

My read is that IBR will expect me to pay $5063 and Northwestern will cover 75%, $3797.25, so I will be responsible for $1265.75 a year. Now, if I do this for 10 years and make 120 monthly payments of ~$100, then I will have no loan balance at the end of the 10 years. During those 10 years, I am assuming I can work at any PI, DA/SA, clerkship, or USAO. But what would happen if I left after 5 years for biglaw job? Would it be as if I had paid down half of my debt?

Thanks for any help.
Nope. Your loan balance is still sitting there, getting bigger (minus however much of the ballooning interest NU pays each year). PSLF (the feds) forgive whatever the total balance is after 10 years/120 monthly payments. NU has nothing to do with that. They're just keeping it from getting as enormous.

For PSLF, the Feds don't care if your 10 years in PI is continuous, but for NU LRAP, it has to be immediately after graduation and continuous. So if you leave, you give up LRAP. You don't have to pay back what they already gave you (unless you didn't work a whole year in PI that they already paid you for, I think).

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:17 am

So, if I stay in PI for 10 years:

I will owe $174,710.00
I will pay $12,657.50 out of pocket
I will pay $60,660.00 that LRAP awards me
The feds will forgive the remaining ~$102,000

And it doesn't matter what the types of the loans are as long as I accepted NU's loan offerings and didn't refinance.

chardeemacdennis

New

Post by chardeemacdennis » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:41 pm

180asBreath wrote:So, if I stay in PI for 10 years:

I will owe $174,710.00
I will pay $12,657.50 out of pocket
I will pay $60,660.00 that LRAP awards me
The feds will forgive the remaining ~$102,000

And it doesn't matter what the types of the loans are as long as I accepted NU's loan offerings and didn't refinance.
Sort of. You are right about your own out-of-pocket expenses, but wrong about the other numbers. Assuming LRAP worked out for you, you are correct in that you would really only ever be on the hook for 12.5ish K.

You are right that will owe $174,710.00 when you graduate. But, keep in mind that interest will be substantial. Typically, IBR payments do not cover interest, so barring help that 174 k is actually growing as time passes. Also, NU only helps with the interest in years 1 - 5, and they only help with some of it. The final balance of your loan could very well exceed 174 K after ten years, even as you pay down. Regardless of these numbers, the entire balance will be forgiven, whether you chip away and get it down to 125 K, or whether it balloons to 225 K. "You" will not pay the 60 K LRAP awards you. At least it is confusing to think about it that way. Basically, LRAP is just Northwestern paying your loans for you. The 12 K is the bit that you pitch in to help them do that.

A couple other things:

1. NU does not extend LRAP for clerking. So, if you secured a clerkship, you would be on the hook for your IBR that year. Then, assuming you went into the public sector afterwards, NU would start LRAP. Clerking DOES apply for PSLF, but NOT for LRAP.

2. It would be best if you do not assume that you will be able to jump from a DA's office to big law at will.

3. PSLF and LRAP are typically only beneficial if you complete them. 5 years of LRAP/PSLF is not 50% of 10 years of LRAP/PSLF. The value is in the forgiveness of the loans and NU helping you with IBR. IBR help by itself is useful, but relatively less so if you have what is effectively a mortgage hanging over your head.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”