Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Charger wrote:Is Con Crim Pro really as full of gunners as people say it is?
Jacobi gives everyone A-'s at least, unless you sexually harrass he.r
it sounds like there's a story behind this. maybe involving someone with a tattooed australians fetish

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Charger wrote:Is Con Crim Pro really as full of gunners as people say it is?
Jacobi gives everyone A-'s at least, unless you sexually harrass he.r
it sounds like there's a story behind this. maybe involving someone with a tattooed australians fetish
:shock: :oops:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:26 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Better to take Admin this term with Fischman, who apparently (according to the CTEs) curves even when below 40, or wait until Spring and take it with Speta, whose teaching style I enjoy, but whose class fills up?
Bump and also:

First Amendment
or
Ideas of First Amendment ?

and
Environmental Clinic
or
Criminal Defense Clinic?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:28 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Better to take Admin this term with Fischman, who apparently (according to the CTEs) curves even when below 40, or wait until Spring and take it with Speta, whose teaching style I enjoy, but whose class fills up?
Bump and also:

First Amendment
or

and
Environmental Clinic
or
Criminal Defense Clinic?
First Amendment with DeSanto is one of the best classes NU offers.

Charger

Bronze

Post by Charger » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:21 am

I'm hoping to 3LOL. Fed Jur out of the question? Filling my schedule with something from that time block is best, but I'm not interested in anything else during that time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Any thoughts on this schedule?

Business Associations - Litvak
Remedies - Lupo
Basic Federal Income Tax - Crane
1st Amendment - Kitrosser
Law Firm Mgmt & Econ - Lutz

Trying to avoid any classes that are particularly intense or graded harshly.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 pm

If the Lutz class is the one that used to be called Large Law Firms, I've heard it has the easiest exam ever, and as such the curve is INSANE.

detlefschrempf1

New

Post by detlefschrempf1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:31 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:is taking antitrust without having taken BA going to be a problem at all?
No. I took antitrust and never took any other business-related class in law school.
Thanks. Has anybody else taken antitrust without BA?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:58 pm

PBateman1 wrote:Any thoughts on this schedule?

Business Associations - Litvak
Remedies - Lupo
Basic Federal Income Tax - Crane
1st Amendment - Kitrosser
Law Firm Mgmt & Econ - Lutz

Trying to avoid any classes that are particularly intense or graded harshly.
Ba with Litvak is not particularly intense and the Final was the most straightforward final I took 1L year (like, front to back it was just exactly the questions you would expect).
I'll be in Remedies with you. Heard it was pretty easy and to just drop it if it's curved.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:30 pm

There's not much overlap between Antitrust and BA. Doubt it should matter much at all.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Whoever suggested the original pancake house, I love u

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Bump and also:

First Amendment
or

and
Environmental Clinic
or
Criminal Defense Clinic?
First Amendment with DeSanto is one of the best classes NU offers.
1st Am is with Kitrosser
Ideas of 1st Am is with Koppelman

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:47 am

Holly Golightly wrote:If the Lutz class is the one that used to be called Large Law Firms, I've heard it has the easiest exam ever, and as such the curve is INSANE.
This is very accurate. The class was both the easiest and hardest class I took 1L year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

detlefschrempf1

New

Post by detlefschrempf1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:32 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:There's not much overlap between Antitrust and BA. Doubt it should matter much at all.
Thanks!

desichhori

New

Post by desichhori » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Incoming 1L here!! Thanks for allaying any fears I had about prepping for law school!

I have a few more questions. Do we get a 1-2 week study period before the Fall Semester examinations? I noticed Fall sem exams begin on Dec. 6th 2014.

Also, for Thanksgiving, do we get the whole week off or is it just from Thursday Nov. 26th 2014?

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by desichhori on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:44 pm

desichhori wrote:Incoming 1L here!! Thanks for allaying any fears I had about prepping for law school!

I have a few more questions. Do we get a 1-2 weeks study period before the Fall Semester examinations? I noticed Fall sem exams begin on Dec. 6th 2014.

Also, for Thanksgiving, do we get the whole week off or it just from Thursday Nov. 26th 2014?

Thanks a lot!
you'll get a "reading period" before exams which is basically Wed/Thu/Fri the week before.

Thanksgiving - technically you only get that Thurs/Fri off but I don't think I had a single class that Wednesday before (or if I did I skipped and the professor didn't give a shit).

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:02 pm

I had one class that I was afraid to miss, but a lot of people missed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

desichhori

New

Post by desichhori » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks! Generally do students go home during their 1L year for Thanksgiving or do they study for the 1L Fall Exams? I am debating between paying sky-high prices for Thanksgiving flight tickets or staying in Chicago and studying for Fall exams? Any thoughts? Seems like I can go home for a few weeks during Winter break? Is November better utilized sending out resumes for 1L Summer jobs? So many questions! Thanks in advance!

Georgia Avenue wrote:
desichhori wrote:Incoming 1L here!! Thanks for allaying any fears I had about prepping for law school!

I have a few more questions. Do we get a 1-2 weeks study period before the Fall Semester examinations? I noticed Fall sem exams begin on Dec. 6th 2014.

Also, for Thanksgiving, do we get the whole week off or it just from Thursday Nov. 26th 2014?

Thanks a lot!
you'll get a "reading period" before exams which is basically Wed/Thu/Fri the week before.

Thanksgiving - technically you only get that Thurs/Fri off but I don't think I had a single class that Wednesday before (or if I did I skipped and the professor didn't give a shit).

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:22 pm

I don't know what the ratio is between people who stay in town for Thanksgiving and people who leave, but plenty of people do both. I think 1L year I left after classes on Wednesday, and last year I think I went to one Wednesday class in the morning and then left. It just depends on how much you want to go home, whether you want to pay for a plane ticket, and how comfortable you feel skipping class. But I don't think most profs care.

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:22 pm

desichhori wrote:Thanks! Generally do students go home during their 1L year for Thanksgiving or do they study for the 1L Fall Exams? I am debating between paying sky-high prices for Thanksgiving flight tickets or staying in Chicago and studying for Fall exams? Any thoughts? Seems like I can go home for a few weeks during Winter break? Is November better utilized sending out resumes for 1L Summer jobs? So many questions! Thanks in advance!

Georgia Avenue wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Thanksgiving break is too early to be sending applications for all but a few 1L summer jobs. See below post for NALP info I had completely forgotten Keep an eye on application deadlines as you do your research, but almost none of them want applications before you have 1st semester grades. None of the ones I applied to wanted something as early as thanksgiving break, but other people might have more insight into that.

As far as doing work over Thanksgiving break, it's going to depend entirely on what you've done so far that semester and what your study plan ends up being. Don't feel like you have to work for the sake of it. Lots of people use it as outline crunch time, and lots of people decide that spending their time decompressing with family is more important to them and their well-being. There's no right or wrong answer. Also, assuming your family isn't super-distracting, you can absolutely go home AND do work/study. Bring 1 or 2 books home and work on those outlines while you work on a beer and some leftovers.
Last edited by GoCats56 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Just an FYI as per NALP guidelines 1Ls cannot apply for summer positions until December 1. You are, however, allowed to start considering your options and can meet with your career advisor starting November 1 (see http://www.nalp.org/pre-law_timetable).

If you want to gun for a 1L Summer Position I'd heavily recommend sending out your applications on Dec. 1 or just shortly thereafter. You will be applying before you get grades back, yes, but for some reason I feel like those who started early did substantially better than those who applied for 1L Summer Positions later. But who knows.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:53 am

Negotiation w/ Shapiro v. w/Gandert?

Shapiro would be better for my schedule and not wanting to DIE, but I hear Gandert is the better grader.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:55 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Negotiation w/ Shapiro v. w/Gandert?

Shapiro would be better for my schedule and not wanting to DIE, but I hear Gandert is the better grader.
Shapiro B'd my ass.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Negotiation w/ Shapiro v. w/Gandert?

Shapiro B'd my ass.
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Gandert it is, then.

desichhori

New

Post by desichhori » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 am

GoCats56 wrote:
desichhori wrote:Thanks! Generally do students go home during their 1L year for Thanksgiving or do they study for the 1L Fall Exams? I am debating between paying sky-high prices for Thanksgiving flight tickets or staying in Chicago and studying for Fall exams? Any thoughts? Seems like I can go home for a few weeks during Winter break? Is November better utilized sending out resumes for 1L Summer jobs? So many questions! Thanks in advance!

Georgia Avenue wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Thanksgiving break is too early to be sending applications for all but a few 1L summer jobs. See below post for NALP info I had completely forgotten Keep an eye on application deadlines as you do your research, but almost none of them want applications before you have 1st semester grades. None of the ones I applied to wanted something as early as thanksgiving break, but other people might have more insight into that.

As far as doing work over Thanksgiving break, it's going to depend entirely on what you've done so far that semester and what your study plan ends up being. Don't feel like you have to work for the sake of it. Lots of people use it as outline crunch time, and lots of people decide that spending their time decompressing with family is more important to them and their well-being. There's no right or wrong answer. Also, assuming your family isn't super-distracting, you can absolutely go home AND do work/study. Bring 1 or 2 books home and work on those outlines while you work on a beer and some leftovers.
Once again, thanks a lot everyone! Your tips have been wonderful!

Do you all recommend getting E& E's for 1L classes? Any other books that are helpful in understanding the Prof's lectures? Is it better to rent the book or buy it? I mean, is it a good investment to buy it, i.e., do we really use it after the first semester?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”