Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
oaken

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by oaken » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 am

mrizza wrote:Anyone have any specific advice for neighborhoods that are dog friendly? Bringing a 115 lb german shepherd with me.
pics please

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 pm

mrizza wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
mrizza wrote:Anyone have any specific advice for neighborhoods that are dog friendly? Bringing a 115 lb german shepherd with me.
It's not so much a neighborhood friendly thing as it is building by building.
Was asking more along the lines of places to walk him, parks, etc. Do your classmates with pets tend to live in certain areas that they recommend?
Hey--I also have a big Yellow Lab that's going to be with me throughout law school. I'll keep you posted about anything I find.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:18 pm

How many times a week do 1Ls have early classes?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:21 pm

If you're looking in Streeterville there are only a handful of buildings that will take a dog that big. 512 N McClurg, Streeter, and Streeter Place are the ones that I'm aware of.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:24 pm

oaken wrote:How many times a week do 1Ls have early classes?
Depends on the section. First semester I had 8:45 class 4 days a week and 10:30 on Friday. Second semester I had 10:00 class 3 days a week then 8:45 Thursday and 10:30 Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 pm

bk187 wrote:
Depends on the section. First semester I had 8:45 class 4 days a week and 10:30 on Friday. Second semester I had 10:00 class 3 days a week then 8:45 Thursday and 10:30 Friday.
Yikes. Well I guess it motivates to you to get up and start your day

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm

oaken wrote:
pics please
Last edited by Cobretti on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:52 pm

M458 wrote: Hey--I also have a big Yellow Lab that's going to be with me throughout law school. I'll keep you posted about anything I find.
Awesome, I'll do the same.
bdubs wrote: If you're looking in Streeterville there are only a handful of buildings that will take a dog that big. 512 N McClurg, Streeter, and Streeter Place are the ones that I'm aware of.
Will check them out, thanks

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Also curious...although I'll have a pair of smaller dogs (a jack russell and a puguahua)...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:50 pm

mrizza wrote:
oaken wrote:
pics please
adorable and hilarious

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:21 pm

oaken wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Yikes. Well I guess it motivates to you to get up and start your day
Yeah, I had 8:45 5 days a week last semester and 4 days a week this semester. I think it's been good for me overall though.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:57 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi Guys:

1L just checking in........... don't know if it's been asked, but when it comes to public interest summer internships (AG oe DA's office, EPA, SEC, etc.), once your app is selected for an interview, what are the prospects of an offer (assuming you do screw it up)? I'd figure that the prospects are better than at a private law firm.

Just finished my interview at FINRA, and it was fine.....just basic questions. After that, they asked me foe 2 Letters of Recommendation, and said that they'd be notifying me withon 2 weeks of receipt of the letters.

Any help would be appreciated.
There is no pattern. Some agencies interview a decent amount for relatively few spots and some agencies interview just as many people as they need. My suspicion is that it is closer to the former since they don't have much of an incentive to spend a ton of time on the process (they aren't hiring for future full time spots), but you can't really know for sure.

Keep applying/interviewing until you get something you are fine with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:05 pm

lgleye wrote:
bk187 wrote:
lgleye wrote:Hi Guys:

1L just checking in........... don't know if it's been asked, but when it comes to public interest summer internships (AG oe DA's office, EPA, SEC, etc.), once your app is selected for an interview, what are the prospects of an offer (assuming you do screw it up)? I'd figure that the prospects are better than at a private law firm.

Just finished my interview at FINRA, and it was fine.....just basic questions. After that, they asked me foe 2 Letters of Recommendation, and said that they'd be notifying me withon 2 weeks of receipt of the letters.

Any help would be appreciated.
There is no pattern. Some agencies interview a decent amount for relatively few spots and some agencies interview just as many people as they need. My suspicion is that it is closer to the former since they don't have much of an incentive to spend a ton of time on the process (they aren't hiring for future full time spots), but you can't really know for sure.

Keep applying/interviewing until you get something you are fine with.
Thanks....but 1L support here at NU is pretty light, if anything. Trying to find public interest stuff in my area NYC, but NALP search dowsn't turn up much.
NYC?? Try finding PI in Portland. :?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:15 pm

lgleye wrote: Thanks....but 1L support here at NU is pretty light, if anything. Trying to find public interest stuff in my area NYC, but NALP search dowsn't turn up much.
Use the government book thing that Arizona puts out (although apps at this point might be too late for most) and then also http://www.psjd.org/

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Flips88 wrote:
lgleye wrote: Thanks....but 1L support here at NU is pretty light, if anything. Trying to find public interest stuff in my area NYC, but NALP search dowsn't turn up much.
Use the government book thing that Arizona puts out (although apps at this point might be too late for most) and then also http://www.psjd.org/
+1

It's getting kinda late for a lot of gov jobs. If this were early I would say you should send an app to every fed, state, county, and city agency/judge in NYC (USAO, DoJ, DA, PD, Fed Defender, EEOC, the Fed, SDNY, EDNY, etc, etc). There are tons in NYC. NALP is more geared towards law firms so that's not really a good place to start for 1L summer jobs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:36 pm

2L support doesn't get any better. So be prepared to do it all yourself next summer.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am

lgleye wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:2L support doesn't get any better. So be prepared to do it all yourself next summer.
Wow........ that's depressing. Thought that OCI lined up all the employers for us. BTW, what's the typical number of interviews a vigilant 2L (with smart bidding) can expect to have during August thru October?
I think anywhere from 10-15 or so is normal. Depends on the markets you are bidding though and the makeup of your class.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 am

Flips88 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:2L support doesn't get any better. So be prepared to do it all yourself next summer.
Wow........ that's depressing. Thought that OCI lined up all the employers for us. BTW, what's the typical number of interviews a vigilant 2L (with smart bidding) can expect to have during August thru October?
I think anywhere from 10-15 or so is normal. Depends on the markets you are bidding though and the makeup of your class.
You can probably get a sense of how things went last year by reading though this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=186949

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am

lgleye wrote:
Most employers come to OCI but you should be looking outside of OCI as much as you can to hedge your bets (mass mailing and regional job fairs). I also found TLS to be a better guide for bidding advice than CSO (e.g. TLS is much more likely to tell you the hard truth to someone with mediocre grades that they should go all in on NYC rather than bid anywhere else).

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 am

lgleye wrote:
I ended up with 17 and I probably could have done better but I bid kind of stupidly (I was aiming for NYC and a smaller market and bid the smaller market too high, probably could have snagged at least another 3-4 NYC interviews).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:17 pm

bk187 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
Most employers come to OCI but you should be looking outside of OCI as much as you can to hedge your bets (mass mailing and regional job fairs). I also found TLS to be a better guide for bidding advice than CSO (e.g. TLS is much more likely to tell you the hard truth to someone with mediocre grades that they should go all in on NYC rather than bid anywhere else).
I think a midwestern bro going all in on NYC with median grades would probably be a hard sell.

Either way lgleye, I didn't mean OCI isn't great, it definitely is. But careeer services won't gather information on firms for you, it won't make your bid list, and it won't really teach you how to interview.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk187 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
I think a midwestern bro going all in on NYC with median grades would probably be a hard sell.

Either way lgleye, I didn't mean OCI isn't great, it definitely is. But careeer services won't gather information on firms for you, it won't make your bid list, and it won't really teach you how to interview.
It also won't help you get PI, will be essentially useless if you strike out (as a friend of mine found out), and in general is there mainly to organize OCI on a macro level (and they even can screw that up; see the great K&E interview debacle of 2013).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”