Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm

What's going on.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What's going on.
A 3L's (I think?) laptop got stolen from the library (after a rash of much-publicized lunch thefts) and everyone and their dog on the listserv is loudly announcing their intention to pitch in $5 to replace it. Someone finally set up a donation site, so maybe the listserv will calm down now.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:The listserv is pretty awesome right now, you guys.
Yeah, I am moved--MOVED--by law students publicly declaring they will donate $5 each. These students are basically young Peter Singers.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:42 pm

People step up to help someone and law students shit all over it. Of course.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:People step up to help someone and law students shit all over it. Of course.
I just hope that campus doesn't turn into somewhere where you can't look the other way without your shit getting stolen. Last year there was the one laptop theft and nothing else (that I recall). So far this year... :?

It's either students (in which case, wtg admissions office) or not (in which case, let's have keycard access).
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:People step up to help someone and law students shit all over it. Of course.
well obviously everyone kicking in the enormous sum of five dollars is expecting nothing less than a parade and glowing admiration from all of their peers...it's definitely not a "hey everyone, i'm kicking in, let's help this guy out"

and man it's so hard to contain a single e-mail chain in my inbox. i mean before i open it it only looks like one e-mail, but i know that inside it there's fifty and oh god the horror.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:50 pm

feralinfant wrote:
well obviously everyone kicking in the enormous sum of five dollars is expecting nothing less than a parade and glowing admiration from all of their peers...it's definitely not a "hey everyone, i'm kicking in, let's help this guy out"

and man it's so hard to contain a single e-mail chain in my inbox. i mean before i open it it only looks like one e-mail, but i know that inside it there's fifty and oh god the horror.
Surely true generosity doesn't require broadcasting it to everyone else.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

Surely true generosity doesn't require broadcasting it to everyone else.
you're totally right. without the listserv i'm sure every single person would have just had the great idea to quietly send the guy some money :roll: ...personally i'd rather see him actually get a new laptop. it's easier to kick in when you know its going to make a difference.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:45 am

Are we just simply rewarding carelessness?
Now no one will care about where they leave their laptops. And thieves would do it more often since they will know that the victim is insured by the goodwill of the student body.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 am

Pokemon wrote:Are we just simply rewarding carelessness?
Now no one will care about where they leave their laptops. And thieves would do it more often since they will know that the victim is insured by the goodwill of the student body.
I'd rather keep my current computer than suffer the stress and embarrassment of getting it stolen, even if the student body steps up to pay for a replacement (and I doubt that he's going to get enough to buy a whole macbook, overpriced as they are.)

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:12 am

My assumption from how his emails are worded is that he is an LLM, which contributed to the sympathy I felt.

I hardly spend time at school anymore, but 1L year I left my shit all over the place. If I had something taken It would have been my own fault, but there's something nice about being in a place where you don't have to worry about that stuff, and I think that drove the sentiment. It was about a community coming together to pitch in little by little to make up for something that they don't like happening, and I have no problem with the multiple emails because the momentum of "hey we can actually all do this" drives further efforts. The only people who would think it was about "hey i want to show people I donated 5 dollars" are the narcissists who put everything in that context.

The only annoying thing about that chain was the spam tag whiners and the multiple people who felt the need to pontificate about the same point of backing up data.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
I just hope that campus doesn't turn into somewhere where you can't look the other way without your shit getting stolen. Last year there was the one laptop theft and nothing else (that I recall). So far this year... :?

It's either students (in which case, wtg admissions office) or not (in which case, let's have keycard access).
I am pretty sure something was stolen from me last year by a member of the catering staff.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 am

Pokemon wrote:Are we just simply rewarding carelessness?
Dude, no one wants to have their laptop stolen, even if other people will help them replace it. Also, school should be a place where people feel safe leaving things for a few minutes. Don't be a dick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:34 am

I for one am SHOCKED by this.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 am

Ok, now that most recent one is simple attention whoring

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Isn't the library already under key card, where the theft happened?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:26 am

Lol'd at the donation from:
"parent of a 2L transfer (vamos ariba la celeste!)
donated$20.00"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:27 am

Is it just me, or is the whole "We go to law school in a fucking Howard Johnson's conference center" vibe way worse so far this fall?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am

homestyle28 wrote:Is it just me, or is the whole "We go to law school in a fucking Howard Johnson's conference center" vibe way worse so far this fall?
Dean Danny gotta make it rain

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:45 am

homestyle28 wrote:Is it just me, or is the whole "We go to law school in a fucking Howard Johnson's conference center" vibe way worse so far this fall?
I've basically written off the Atrium as a place to do pretty much anything. I think it's been in its normal study configuration for about three days so far this year.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
I've basically written off the Atrium as a place to do pretty much anything. I think it's been in its normal study configuration for about three days so far this year.
I'm frankly more worried about the lack of bathroom space when all the conference attendees are doing their business

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:56 am

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
I'm frankly more worried about the lack of bathroom space when all the conference attendees are doing their business
Do they even go past the first floor? I feel like you could probably use 2nd floor bathrooms with impunity.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 am

Best bathroom is the one near throne though.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Best bathroom is the one near throne though.
Best ladies' cans are in LM. Basement and 1st floor. The one by RB 175/180 is always stupidly crowded.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:01 pm

That pissed me off last year. If it's even worse now, that's awful. I fucking hate D Rod.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”