Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rayiner

Platinum

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by rayiner » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:21 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
roranoa wrote:How old are your peers at NU?

I've heard that students at NU are older than other schools on average b/c there's a lot of people who come in with extensive WE.
Average age at matriculation is 26. During my three years at Northwestern, I never really thought of my peers as being either young or old. It seems well-balanced. I will say that the school's emphasis on work experience has produced a class body that is arguably more mature and shares a greater sense of collegiality than peer schools.
I agree. People are on average ~2 years older, and I think the few years of experience makes people just a bit more mature.

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Does anyone have either of these books for sale? I wasn't able to make it to the SFPIF book sale.

BASIC CONTRACT LAW:CASEBOOK
Author: FULLER
Edition:8TH 06
Publisher:WEST LAW
ISBN: 9780314159014

TORT LAW+ALTERNATIVES:CS.+MTRLS.
Author: FRANKLIN
Edition:9TH 12
ISBN: 9781599418605

Thanks!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 pm

kerflux wrote:Does anyone have either of these books for sale? I wasn't able to make it to the SFPIF book sale.

BASIC CONTRACT LAW:CASEBOOK
Author: FULLER
Edition:8TH 06
ISBN: 9780314159014

TORT LAW+ALTERNATIVES:CS.+MTRLS.
Author: FRANKLIN
Edition:9TH 12
ISBN: 9781599418605

Thanks!
Just do Amazon bro.

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just do Amazon bro.
Yeah I was trying to but I just figured someone who wants to be rid of it might have it for cheaper.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 pm

kerflux wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just do Amazon bro.
Yeah I was trying to but I just figured someone who wants to be rid of it might have it for cheaper.
there's gonna be another SFPIF book sale Friday

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 pm

So, on Tuesday we can request the loan money be deposited in our accounts. Is the cost of the health insurance already taken out, like tuition? The amount seems a bit high, as if we haven't paid for the insurance yet.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:So, on Tuesday we can request the loan money be deposited in our accounts. Is the cost of the health insurance already taken out, like tuition? The amount seems a bit high, as if we haven't paid for the insurance yet.
Health insurance gets taken out. Maybe you didn't alter the amount and you're getting the extra 2k from the computer budget this semester?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 am

bk187 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:So, on Tuesday we can request the loan money be deposited in our accounts. Is the cost of the health insurance already taken out, like tuition? The amount seems a bit high, as if we haven't paid for the insurance yet.
Health insurance gets taken out. Maybe you didn't alter the amount and you're getting the extra 2k from the computer budget this semester?
I did want the 2k for the computer, so maybe that's it.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
If I recall from last year, health insurance wasn't taken out and we had to pay separately. I thought the bill comes in October.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 am

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
If I recall from last year, health insurance wasn't taken out and we had to pay separately. I thought the bill comes in October.
If you look at the itemized statement this year, they take it out up front.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Dean Zimmerman and the student health office lady today said that the insurance billing date is Sept 10, so if you request your loan money refund before then, you need to either leave money in your school account to cover it or you'll owe payment.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Dean Zimmerman and the student health office lady today said that the insurance billing date is Sept 10, so if you request your loan money refund before then, you need to either leave money in your school account to cover it or you'll owe payment.
Why is our school so fucking inept when it comes to simple administrative stuff?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:08 pm

D-hops wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Dean Zimmerman and the student health office lady today said that the insurance billing date is Sept 10, so if you request your loan money refund before then, you need to either leave money in your school account to cover it or you'll owe payment.
Why is our school so fucking inept when it comes to simple administrative stuff?
+1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Last year I didn't purposefully leave money in my school account and my health insurance somehow ended up paid...

Also, it's cute to hear people call Cliff "Dean Zimmerman." :)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Last year I didn't purposefully leave money in my school account and my health insurance somehow ended up paid...
This is my recollection as well.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Holly Golightly wrote: Also, it's cute to hear people call Cliff "Dean Zimmerman." :)
I missed that the first read through. That is cute, and I don't think I've ever seen that written down before.

Pro tip for 1Ls: Cliff is not your friend.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Icculus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote: Also, it's cute to hear people call Cliff "Dean Zimmerman." :)
I missed that the first read through. That is cute, and I don't think I've ever seen that written down before.

He can still be a great resource in certain situations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Yes, but I think people need to be careful about what they say to him. I know a few people who were a little to open and got a little burned. But yes, in certain situations he can be a life saver.

That said, Suzie Spies makes a great cheerleader.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:42 pm

Icculus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Yes, but I think people need to be careful about what they say to him. I know a few people who were a little to open and got a little burned. But yes, in certain situations he can be a life saver.

That said, Suzie Spies makes a great cheerleader.
Like, what would be a bad topic of conversation with him?

Right now I can't imagine having any conversation more personal than "gosh, I really like the pretty courtyard" with any faculty. Maybe "what classes would you recommend?"

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Like, what would be a bad topic of conversation with him?

Right now I can't imagine having any conversation more personal than "gosh, I really like the pretty courtyard" with any faculty. Maybe "what classes would you recommend?"
That will probably change. I don't really want to get into specifics here, but it's one of those things that Cliff is the dean of students so if you go to him with an issue/problem and there is a conflict between you and the school/school rules he will have to come out on the side of the school. However, bj is right that there are times where he can be an invaluable resource. this is especially true during exam time if any issues come up from technical to personal. He can be a great resource so long as you go to him at the right times.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:53 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Like, what would be a bad topic of conversation with him?

That will probably change. I don't really want to get into specifics here, but it's one of those things that Cliff is the dean of students so if you go to him with an issue/problem and there is a conflict between you and the school/school rules he will have to come out on the side of the school. However, bj is right that there are times where he can be an invaluable resource. this is especially true during exam time if any issues come up from technical to personal. He can be a great resource so long as you go to him at the right times.
Ah. Will bear in mind. (And do my best to not get into any conflicts, natch.)

Susie is due in December...god help us all if that baby comes early or she has problems.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 am

SUSIE IS PREGNANT TOO?!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 am

IAFG wrote:SUSIE IS PREGNANT TOO?!
Yup da baby fever claims another.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:02 am

One thing that I learned about Cliff during my time at Northwestern is that he is never wrong and has never once made a mistake in his life. You have to let him always think that he is right and let him come to the conclusion that you want him to reach. The more that you push back, the less likely it is that he will cooperate.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am

IAFG wrote:SUSIE IS PREGNANT TOO?!
Damn, ray gets around! amirite?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”