Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn8r

New

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by kn8r » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 am

Bumi wrote:Oops I meant Washington Square Park. This thing.
Yes, that is totally walkable. You'll probably enjoy that walk in months other than Jan-Mar.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Washington Square Park is definitely walkable even in the cold. When I commute by train the train lets me off about 2 blocks south of there and the walk is not bad at all. That area would either be called the Near North Side or Gold Coast (probably more likely Gold Coast).

Regarding the coats and the cold, I generally have two coats one parka style North Face and one wool peacoat style. I wear the parka if I don't have any work or job related things away from school (I can store my coat in my locker) but will wear my peacoat if I am in business attire and going to be leaving the school to get to something. Scarfs, hats, gloves, and layered clothing (sweaters over dress shirts, etc.) can make up for any loss in warmth from using a peacoat. Generally I find the coats to be warm enough though.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Question for anyone currently at NU: How many usernames/passwords are there and which ones work with what sites?

I have been poking around and frequently get username/password prompts that don't accept my netID or @nlaw u/p combos, not sure if this is because i'm not official enough yet or if there is some other u/p that i don't have or know about.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 pm

bdubs wrote:Question for anyone currently at NU: How many usernames/passwords are there and which ones work with what sites?

I have been poking around and frequently get username/password prompts that don't accept my netID or @nlaw u/p combos, not sure if this is because i'm not official enough yet or if there is some other u/p that i don't have or know about.
I only have 1, though I think there is an alternative Email one, but the netid also works.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:55 pm

bdubs wrote:Question for anyone currently at NU: How many usernames/passwords are there and which ones work with what sites?

You can just use your NetID for everything. The trick is to make sure your password is 8 characters or less. The system will accept a longer password, but things will randomly not work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I only have 1, though I think there is an alternative Email one, but the netid also works.
Hmmm must just be that I don't have access to everything then, oh well.

LHC

New

Post by LHC » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Sorry if this has already been covered but,

is negotiating merit aid w/ Northwestern worthwhile? I have a full scholarship plus stipend at a tier-1 school that is giving me pause, and I'm wondering if / how I should tell Northwestern about it. Thanks!

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:23 pm

LHC wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered but,

is negotiating merit aid w/ Northwestern worthwhile? I have a full scholarship plus stipend at a tier-1 school that is giving me pause, and I'm wondering if / how I should tell Northwestern about it. Thanks!
I'm in the same situation. I emailed Jill Decremer (Associate Director of Financial Aid) before she went out on maternity leave and she said she would bring it up with the financial aid committee. I haven't heard anything back since then, but she went on maternity leave and I don't know if it ever got passed on. I would re-email, but I'm afraid of being the subject of one of Johann's snarky tweets. I promised myself I would wait until ASW then ask.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:26 pm

er doctor wrote:

I'm in the same situation. I emailed Jill Decremer (Associate Director of Financial Aid) before she went out on maternity leave and she said she would bring it up with the financial aid committee. I haven't heard anything back since then, but she went on maternity leave and I don't know if it ever got passed on. I would re-email, but I'm afraid of being the subject of one of Johann's snarky tweets. I promised myself I would wait until ASW then ask.
I'd definitely go talk to them during ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 pm

er doctor wrote:

Johann's tweets are hilarious, but they don't make the office of admissions and financial aid seem like a very friendly place. At the same time, I think that if you are afraid of being the subject of one of his tweets, that is sufficient evidence that you have the presence of mind to ensure that you won't be.

There may be some small benefit in waiting for next week, because there's a chance that in one of the sessions there will be some information about the best way to do this. But the people who make his tweets seem like they are way out in left field about what they think is appropriate. Don't get your parents to call for you, don't cc the whole office, don't use the term "prestigious", and don't demand a scholarship or else. You should be fine.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Dammit I just had my mom email the entire office telling them about all the money I was offered from a more prestigious school. Then she re-sent the email 38 times. Then she faxed it. Then she had a courier take a copy in. I was just in time to stop the singing telegram.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 pm

er doctor wrote:Dammit I just had my mom email the entire office telling them about all the money I was offered from a more prestigious school. Then she re-sent the email 38 times. Then she faxed it. Then she had a courier take a copy in. I was just in time to stop the singing telegram.
I am checking twitter furiously.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Bumi wrote:
er doctor wrote:Dammit I just had my mom email the entire office telling them about all the money I was offered from a more prestigious school. Then she re-sent the email 38 times. Then she faxed it. Then she had a courier take a copy in. I was just in time to stop the singing telegram.
I am checking twitter furiously.
Nothing yet. Maybe I should have let him get the singing telegram :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

You have no idea what an important role singing telegrams play at NU. (srs).

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

EarlCat wrote:You have no idea what an important role singing telegrams play at NU. (srs).
srsly srs? I'm intrigued.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:20 pm

EarlCat wrote:You have no idea what an important role singing telegrams play at NU. (srs).
I have a feeling Johann would deal with it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui337e5D50E

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
srsly srs? I'm intrigued.
--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 am

Can I bring a guest to Wigmore Follies?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 pm

What are some aspects of NU that you would say are unique and plus points for the school? I'm talking about clinics, good career service, classes, etc etc. Maybe I'm just dumb but it's hard to get a sense for which schools have better clinics in what areas of law. If there's a thread comparing a bunch of T14 clinics and stuff, I'd love to see it.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:14 pm

src42 wrote:Can I bring a guest to Wigmore Follies?
I hope so! When I registered I registered a guest too. Hopefully they can come!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:17 pm

dddhhh wrote:
Of course. Tickets are available at the door for purchase. Bring whomever you want.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 pm

bjsesq wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
Of course. Tickets are available at the door for purchase. Bring whomever you want.
Cool, thanks. Excited!

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:31 pm

bjsesq wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
woot! excited to see the show!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 am

I think admits each get 2 tix.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:38 am

BTW, a friend and I are taking 10 admits to Giordano's tomorrow (dutch, srry).

Meet in the atrium shortly before noon. I'll be on the southernmost side of the atrium by the doors that don't open.

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”