Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Rose Tyler

New

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Rose Tyler » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I've got section 3

Contracts - Eigen
Crim - Rubinowitz
Writing - Silbernagel
CivPro - Redish
Torts - Murphey

Anybody with tips or, ideally, outlines? :D
Eigen gives a classic issue spotter. He really does count participation.

Redish gives very similar exams each year. Definitely do his practice exams.

Silbernagel really cares about citiations. REALLY cares. Do them right.
For Redish don't bother reading any of the supplements associated with Civ Pro since they really won't help you. Anything you need for the exam he teaches in class.

Eigen counts participation as part of the grade, though I think it's unclear how much it actually factors into the grade at the end. If you're going to participate I'd do it early in the semester since after he sends a mid-semester participation score everyone starts trying to raise their hand and get a participation point.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Len (Rubinowitz) - Just enjoy his class. He teaches it as a seminar, and it is the only one you will have like that as a 1L. The exam sucks, but I still loved it.

Murphey - Pay attention to the notes cases. Lots of attention. She loves them. And cares a lot about the facts of cases. I had like a billion page outline for her.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Rose Tyler wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I've got section 3

Contracts - Eigen
Crim - Rubinowitz
Writing - Silbernagel
CivPro - Redish
Torts - Murphey

Anybody with tips or, ideally, outlines? :D
Eigen gives a classic issue spotter. He really does count participation.

Redish gives very similar exams each year. Definitely do his practice exams.

Silbernagel really cares about citiations. REALLY cares. Do them right.
For Redish don't bother reading any of the supplements associated with Civ Pro since they really won't help you. Anything you need for the exam he teaches in class.

Eigen counts participation as part of the grade, though I think it's unclear how much it actually factors into the grade at the end. If you're going to participate I'd do it early in the semester since after he sends a mid-semester participation score everyone starts trying to raise their hand and get a participation point.

A big +1 for both these. In fact reading the E&E or Glannon Civ pro or whatever will hurt you. Don't use any supplement for Civ Pro. None. If you can find a solid old outline for that class you'll be fine.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:14 pm

bjsesq wrote:
bdubs wrote:I'm in section 1 and wanted to get all of your opinions on my fall professors:

Civ Pro - Richard Hoskins
Contracts - Robert Bennett
Property - David Cameron
Torts - Peter DiCola

Also my CLR professor is Ellen Mulaney if anyone has thoughts/comments about her.
Hoskins- wonderful guy. I didn't do well in his class, but he is a solid prof. Know the FRCP, and make sure you understand choice of law type shit. I didn't do either of these things, and I paid for it.
Bennett- funny guy, epically bad prof. Don't bother with the UCC, know maybe some of the restatement. Cases matter.
Property- Cameron loves economic analysis, so know it. Other than that, I didn't pay a drop of attention in his classes. LtK could give you better advice.

Didn't have dicola. Having those 4 classes in one semester would make me want to kill myself. On the bright side, crim and con law in one semester would equal AWESOME. Imo, of course.
The thing about Hoskins is I think his class feels the least like a waste of time. His lecture style is the clearest, and he seems to be the strictest about participation and preparedness. To whatever extent we may have been a little intimidated as 1Ls, I think it paid off because everyone engaged and 90 minutes went by pretty quickly. So I think doing well in that class was all about engaging with it intellectually. I participated a few times, and he will actually get into a dialog with you. I'm a very individual studier with weird time-management habits, but for this one I spent several days having substantive conversations with my peers and the TA. I think Hoskins is more concerned with an exam that is well written and makes the right arguments than he is about counting raw "issues spotted."

BJS is right about Bennett. He's like the eccentric uncle at a Christmas party. I think he has something to offer as a prof, but you have to try pretty hard to get it. You have to read the material closer than I did and you have to pay attention in class instead of falling asleep. The thing is, all of that might not be worth your time, since the points he presses in class didn't seem well correlated to the points on the exam. My performance was meh, so I'll kind of be left wondering exactly what he was looking for.

I don't think our section was fair to Cameron. He said a couple controversial things early in the semester (which I think were said in a devil's advocate, Socratic dialog way but which some thought were evidencing radical political views and racial prejudice) that turned some people against him early, so they never gave him a chance. Also, I pretty much never read for my T/F classes, and I didn't pay a lick of attention either. Under the right circumstances (i.e. MTW afternoons) I think Cameron could have been Hoskins-like. Pretty clear lecturer, doesn't dwell on irrelevant shit for too long, somewhat "intimidating" cold call style, and again, seemed to give an exam where coherence and persuasion mattered as much as stockpiling.

Mulaney is the best CLR professor at Northwestern. I've heard enough horror stories from people across sections that I don't think it's close. She also taught Torts to AJDs this past summer and is probably in line for a promotion soon. At first glance, she seems like the cranky type and is somewhat humorless and socially awkward. That said, her feedback is always helpful, she cares about her students and their performance, she is generous with her time, and her grading seemed fair.
Last edited by Lieut Kaffee on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:19 pm

As far as supplements, I'm not big on thinking that they are either super helpful or super detrimental depending on the professor. For all of my classes I studied sort of using a combination of 1-2 supplements, class notes, and outlines from upperclassmen.

That said, I think there was a consensus that Hoskins followed Glannon pretty closely. I dabbled in Acing and Emanuel and some other brands for all my other classes, using them to remind myself of the big picture before studying a little more specifically.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:27 pm

If any of you have Shapo, use the hornbook he wrote. It's worth it's weight in gold.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Also, don't cite Pennoyer on a midterm. Just sayin'.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
bdubs wrote:I'm in section 1 and wanted to get all of your opinions on my fall professors:

Property - David Cameron
Torts - Peter DiCola

Also my CLR professor is Ellen Mulaney if anyone has thoughts/comments about her.
Hoskins- wonderful guy. I didn't do well in his class, but he is a solid prof. Know the FRCP, and make sure you understand choice of law type shit. I didn't do either of these things, and I paid for it.
Bennett- funny guy, epically bad prof. Don't bother with the UCC, know maybe some of the restatement. Cases matter.
Property- Cameron loves economic analysis, so know it. Other than that, I didn't pay a drop of attention in his classes. LtK could give you better advice.

Didn't have dicola. Having those 4 classes in one semester would make me want to kill myself. On the bright side, crim and con law in one semester would equal AWESOME. Imo, of course.
The thing about Hoskins is I think his class feels the least like a waste of time. His lecture style is the clearest, and he seems to be the strictest about participation and preparedness. To whatever extent we may have been a little intimidated as 1Ls, I think it paid off because everyone engaged and 90 minutes went by pretty quickly. So I think doing well in that class was all about engaging with it intellectually. I participated a few times, and he will actually get into a dialog with you. I'm a very individual studier with weird time-management habits, but for this one I spent several days having substantive conversations with my peers and the TA. I think Hoskins is more concerned with an exam that is well written and makes the right arguments than he is about counting raw "issues spotted."

BJS is right about Bennett. He's like the eccentric uncle at a Christmas party. I think he has something to offer as a prof, but you have to try pretty hard to get it. You have to read the material closer than I did and you have to pay attention in class instead of falling asleep. The thing is, all of that might not be worth your time, since the points he presses in class didn't seem well correlated to the points on the exam. My performance was meh, so I'll kind of be left wondering exactly what he was looking for.

I don't think our section was fair to Cameron. He said a couple controversial things early in the semester (which I think were said in a devil's advocate, Socratic dialog way but which some thought were evidencing radical political views and racial prejudice) that turned some people against him early, so they never gave him a chance. Also, I pretty much never read for my T/F classes, and I didn't pay a lick of attention either. Under the right circumstances (i.e. MTW afternoons) I think Cameron could have been Hoskins-like. Pretty clear lecturer, doesn't dwell on irrelevant shit for too long, somewhat "intimidating" cold call style, and again, seemed to give an exam where coherence and persuasion mattered as much as stockpiling.

Mulaney is the best CLR professor at Northwestern. I've heard enough horror stories from people across sections that I don't think it's close. She also taught Torts to AJDs this past summer and is probably in line for a promotion soon. At first glance, she seems like the cranky type and is somewhat humorless and socially awkward. That said, her feedback is always helpful, she cares about her students and their performance, she is generous with her time, and her grading seemed fair.
You guys rock, thanks.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:09 pm

bdubs wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Property - David Cameron
Torts - Peter DiCola

You guys rock, thanks.
Word. You guys are awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:57 am

If anybody has any more info on profs I'd gladly hear it.

Nzelibe - Contracts (HG said takeaway slides and that class is useless.)
Shapo - Torts (Multiple plugs for the hornbook.)
Pfander - CivPro
Glazer - Property (Flips says she's a visiting prof from Hofstra.)
McMasters - CLR

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:18 pm

bk187 wrote:If anybody has any more info on profs I'd gladly hear it.

Pfander - CivPro
McMasters - CLR
Don't fall asleep in Shapo's class or he will cold call you the next day.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:09 pm

anyone have an idea when finaid money comes in if you did direct deposit?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:16 pm

traehekat wrote:anyone have an idea when finaid money comes in if you did direct deposit?
Some point between Aug. 29th and Sept. 1 would be my guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Anybody want to post comments/suggestions for these profs?

Contracts- Brennan
Torts- Friedman
Crim-Nadler

Thanks!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Anybody want to post comments/suggestions for these profs?

Contracts- Brennan
Torts- Friedman
Crim-Nadler

Thanks!
Friedman: economic analysis. Negligence bar: where is it, and did D get over it? Economic analysis. Won't ever get to damages, so don't worry about it. Economic analysis. A midterm which is very good prep for the final. Economic analysis.

Economic analysis.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Anybody want to post comments/suggestions for these profs?

Contracts- Brennan
Torts- Friedman
Crim-Nadler

Thanks!

I really like Nadler. She has a no laptop policy, which is lame. You will spend a lot of time discussing the common law and policy but the exam will be almost exclusively on the Model Penal Code (there is usually a policy question as well).

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:43 am

D-hops wrote:

Contracts- Brennan
Torts- Friedman
Crim-Nadler

Thanks!

I really like Nadler. She has a no laptop policy, which is lame. You will spend a lot of time discussing the common law and policy but the exam will be almost exclusively on the Model Penal Code (there is usually a policy question as well).
I probably could have skipped every class and not read one case and it wouldn't have budged my grade in any direction.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Pfander - CivPro
McMasters - CLR
Any more on these folks? the only thing I can add is I've seen Pfander called the great Pfandini on two occasions but have no idea what the hell that means.

Also, to other section 4 folks, have you realized yet that Shapo added 2 classes that each take place 4 hours after our previous thursday class? Such is life.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Pfander - CivPro
McMasters - CLR
Any more on these folks? the only thing I can add is I've seen Pfander called the great Pfandini on two occasions but have no idea what the hell that means.

Also, to other section 4 folks, have you realized yet that Shapo added 2 classes that each take place 4 hours after our previous thursday class? Such is life.
I saw that...not a big deal, but I wonder if it's the beginning of something...FWIW I was told today that it's definitely worth it to get his hornbook, especially since he wrote the thing

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:47 am

Is Blackboard hard to use, or am I an idiot? Two professors said they posted things for us. I finally found one syllabus after trial and error, but the other course's page seems totally empty and lacking in the five documents I'm supposed to download and read.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 am

Blackboard isn't just tricky for students. Profs fuck it up all the time.

Also: nice to meet you pussies last night.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

RemnantofIsrael wrote:Also, to other section 4 folks, have you realized yet that Shapo added 2 classes that each take place 4 hours after our previous thursday class? Such is life.
I found the email confusing. From what I think other people said, class is mandatory for Shapo. So the email I took to mean that those 2 extra classes are "makeup classes" in the sense that if you attend them you then get a free pass on missing 2 other classes. Don't quote me on that, I could easily be wrong.

evergirl23

Bronze

Post by evergirl23 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:28 am

bk187 wrote:
RemnantofIsrael wrote:Also, to other section 4 folks, have you realized yet that Shapo added 2 classes that each take place 4 hours after our previous thursday class? Such is life.
I found the email confusing. From what I think other people said, class is mandatory for Shapo. So the email I took to mean that those 2 extra classes are "makeup classes" in the sense that if you attend them you then get a free pass on missing 2 other classes. Don't quote me on that, I could easily be wrong.
Shapo schedules make-up classes in advance, with the assumption being that something might come up where he has to cancel class at some other point in the semester. If he ends up not canceling any classes, then he will cancel the last two classes of the semester. You do not get a free pass on missing 2 other classes. But since Shapo does not take attendance and participation does not affect your grade, you pretty much have those free passes anyway.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:04 pm

evergirl23 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Shapo schedules make-up classes in advance, with the assumption being that something might come up where he has to cancel class at some other point in the semester. If he ends up not canceling any classes, then he will cancel the last two classes of the semester. You do not get a free pass on missing 2 other classes. But since Shapo does not take attendance and participation does not affect your grade, you pretty much have those free passes anyway.
Ah thanks for clearing that up.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 pm

On Hill's blackboard site she has placed several recommended texts but not required. Anyone know if these or worth getting or should I just save my money?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”