Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:32 pm

captainplanet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
f you plan to go out a lot during the winter or will live somewhere that requires a long walk to school, invest in a long knee or full length jacket. (Buy this in Chicago, the winter jackets sold in CA weren't warm enough)
Nonsense. Any good camping supply store (REI, Northface) has down jackets that will work in the Arctic.
Yeah. Maybe if you're shopping for your winter coats at Macy's the selection isn't good, but that just means you're an idiot. California is full of outdoorsy people who travel to snowy places to play, and the shops that cater to them.

Also, I hear tell that the internet sells many things and delivers to California.
I went to both North Face and Columbia in CA and they didn't have anything like the selection in Chicago (or other cold places). The salespeople kept trying to sell me jackets no warmer than my ski jacket, and they didn't have anything better or any long winter coats. I think the CA market really focuses on skiing, and Tahoe is like 30F ... that's not what you need for Chiberia. My warning was for Californians like me who don't know exactly what they'll need for a Chicago winter as 0Ls and wouldn't know better when a CA salesperson shows them a winter jacket meant for a cold day in Tahoe and not walking 20 minutes in 0F and -20 wind chill in Chicago.

But if you guys want to post some links for the kinds of jackets people should buy, I'm sure CA 0Ls would appreciate it ...
I wore my snowboarding jackets for three years (usually with t-shirts or sleeveless shirts underneath because it's so goddamn hot in buildings). You bump up the warmth with hat and scarf and gloves and a sweater underneath if necessary. They were offering you ski jackets because that would be fine. 30 degrees at Tahoe and you really need a full jacket? When it's that warm at Hood I'll just wear the liner from a 3-in-1 or something.

And as I said before, the North Face Triclimate 3-in1 jackets are legit. Men and women.

Women''s 3-in-1: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/women ... tionId=N7N
Men's 3-in-1: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens- ... tionId=S2B
Women's 3-in-1 long jacket (more city style than slopestyle) http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/p ... Att58P8HAQ
Men's puffy down: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-ph ... -insulated
Women: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/womens- ... -insulated
Women's puffy down: http://www.columbia.com/womens-mighty-l ... -insulated
Women's long-ish puffy down: http://www.columbia.com/womens-mighty-l ... -insulated

Not for the dead of winter, but I cannot recommend this trench enough for when you need to dress nicely and it's like 35-50 degrees: http://www.columbia.com/womens-zenith-v ... 27#start=9
I have the black and I actually might get the grey this winter (I'm now in Portland where this is all I'd ever need). It's completely waterproof, much warmer than a traditional trench coat, windproof, wrinkleproof, and stays cleaner.

If you feel the need to dress up like a sleeping bag, there are the super long puffy down things that are extremely popular among small Asian girls. https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/women ... tionId=AVM
https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/women ... tionId=JK3

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:24 pm

or, if you want to spend some more (loan) money, patagonia is nice.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Most teachers it is not going to matter what they teach. Their exams end up being generic black law letter tests anyway, so whatever supplement is recommended for that subject will almost certainly work. However, there are a few teachers (Kadens & Redish) who do teach "law according to me," so you 100% want to wait like two weeks in before buying them. There is no need to have them that early, but its nice to get that all squared away while life is still easy.

And for winter, just get a thick jacket. What really makes the difference is long underwear and ear muffs. Make sure you have those.

babblefish

New

Post by babblefish » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:20 pm

lemons wrote:After we find out about whether we got on a journal, are there any days we will need to be in town? I vaguely remember hearing about a mandatory journal orientation... is this a thing/when does it usually happen?
Law Review usually has its mandatory orientation the weekend between the OCI rounds.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Although I don't think you should plan around it. Plan your OCI interviews as early as possible. You don't want to be interviewing with your top choice firm 2nd week of September.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:47 am

LJL.

Job>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Law review. Tell them to fuck off. It will be ok.

irishballa

New

Post by irishballa » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:10 am

When do we find out if we got on journal/what journal we got on?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:02 am

irishballa wrote:When do we find out if we got on journal/what journal we got on?
Last year the lists were emailed on 16 July (just peeked back in this thread). I imagine the calls went out a day or two prior to that.

FinalDecision1

New

Post by FinalDecision1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Last edited by FinalDecision1 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:51 pm

FinalDecision1 wrote:Hey current students/alumni thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. Did anyone here do the JumpStart Preview Program or the Northwestern Summer Law Preparation Program? Apparently they are both free so they look interesting, but wondering if either is worth the time. Thanks!
I jump started my legal career by traveling. I recommend traveling.

irishballa

New

Post by irishballa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:07 pm

Any 2Ls willing to share their schedule from fall of last year? Curious to see what most 2Ls take.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:33 pm

irishballa wrote:Any 2Ls willing to share their schedule from fall of last year? Curious to see what most 2Ls take.
A survey on here probably won't be representative of what most 2Ls take, and it will differ a lot between lit-minded and corporate-minded students. What are you interested in taking? I took three BL classes, a writing class and one puff 2-credit class and did fine, but that was probably on the high end. I know others who took mostly seminars, or who were in clinics already. It's not like spring 1L where classes matter for grades, so you should just take classes that interest you or won't require a lot of work, unless you're planning on clerking. Even then I think what classes you take matter a lot less than people think/wanna believe they do.

irishballa

New

Post by irishballa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:01 pm

What BL classes did you take?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:07 pm

irishballa wrote:What BL classes did you take?
You didn't even answer/engage with anything I said about what you wanted to do, if you wanted to clerk etc :-p

irishballa

New

Post by irishballa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Sorry, those questions are up in the air.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:49 pm

I personally think that every transactional lawyer should take Corporate Finance and do well in it. Everything else you'll maybe pick up down the road but if you should at least be comfortable with numbers from the get go.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:27 pm

How have transfers done at OCI? Think top 10-15%, invited to law review, invited to be academic tutor for fall/spring at 1L school.

Transfer forum isn't much help, as everyone in there is basing their advice on speculation.

DM me if you were a transfer and have any specific advice/insight. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

holly45

New

Post by holly45 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:30 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:How have transfers done at OCI? Think top 10-15%, invited to law review, invited to be academic tutor for fall/spring at 1L school.

Transfer forum isn't much help, as everyone in there is basing their advice on speculation.

I know a handful of transfers and all of them struck out, they're at various mid law firms clerking (read: minimal pay) and abroad offices with positions that are not offer based. Sorry I dont have more information.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:32 pm

At some point, do grads get taken off the current student mailing list? Obviously we need to get some stuff (e.g. how to order our diploma, which they said they'd contact us about before this weekend) but I really don't need to know that the fall curriculum has been announced.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:At some point, do grads get taken off the current student mailing list? Obviously we need to get some stuff (e.g. how to order our diploma, which they said they'd contact us about before this weekend) but I really don't need to know that the fall curriculum has been announced.
The current students listserv is composed of class listservs so whenever the "class of 2015" listserv is taken off the current listserv (and presumably replaced by "class of 2018") you will still get current students emails. I don't imagine you would be removed from the "class of 2015" listserv because that is unnecessary work and still serves a purpose like how to order your diploma. I also imagine the "class of 2015" listserv will be added to some alumbi listserv if it hasn't been already.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:At some point, do grads get taken off the current student mailing list? Obviously we need to get some stuff (e.g. how to order our diploma, which they said they'd contact us about before this weekend) but I really don't need to know that the fall curriculum has been announced.
The current students listserv is composed of class listservs so whenever the "class of 2015" listserv is taken off the current listserv (and presumably replaced by "class of 2018") you will still get current students emails. I don't imagine you would be removed from the "class of 2015" listserv because that is unnecessary work and still serves a purpose like how to order your diploma. I also imagine the "class of 2015" listserv will be added to some alumbi listserv if it hasn't been already.
Yeah, I get how it works. I'm asking past grads whether someone in the admin or IT offices actually clicks the buttons to make that happen at some point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:47 pm

holly45 wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:How have transfers done at OCI? Think top 10-15%, invited to law review, invited to be academic tutor for fall/spring at 1L school.

I know a handful of transfers and all of them struck out, they're at various mid law firms clerking (read: minimal pay) and abroad offices with positions that are not offer based. Sorry I dont have more information.
We have transfers at Kirkland and sidley this summer. There are a lot of them and there will always be a range of outcomes.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:14 am

Cobretti wrote:
holly45 wrote:

We have transfers at Kirkland and sidley this summer. There are a lot of them and there will always be a range of outcomes.
I second this as well. I know just from our school 5+ transfers off the top of my head that ended up in Chicago biglaw.

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Cobretti wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:How have transfers done at OCI?
This (re: Sidley/KE). Transfer placement (in terms of outcome range and distribution) appears to have mirrored that of the school generally this past cycle.

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 am

If you need a place to live next year, come join my roommate and I in the heart of Lincoln Park! We're losing a couple of roommates to graduations and career changes for next year, so we need two new people. It's a four-bedroom about 45 seconds from the Armitage brown line stop. 30-35 minutes to school on the L, 11 or 12 minutes by cab if you're in a rush. Rent will be somewhere between $800 and $900 (the landlord hasn't told us next year's price yet) and utilities run about $50-70 per person depending on how much gas we have to burn. Move in would be at a flexible point in late august.

Email me if you're interested or have questions: g - s c h o n f e l d 2 0 1 6 AT n l a w . n o r t h w e s t e r n . e d u

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”