Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
helpappreciated

New

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by helpappreciated » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Anyone happen to have a Criminal RICO Prosecutions outline?

Mothetgoo

New

Post by Mothetgoo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Can any 2ls or 3ls tell us anything about the journal competition in the spring? How long does it last, what is the format? Do they like, release topics as soon as exams are over, and then you have a week to write an essay? Obviously I am sure that the exact dates and everything won't be decided until the spring, but how does it typically work, or how did it work last year? How long does it last for, and how exactly does it work. I am interested because I am trying to plan around a sibling's wedding in May and some accompanying family stuff that is going on, and having as much information now about school things that I might need to be worried about at that time would be super helpful.

Sourire

New

Post by Sourire » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:24 am

Mothetgoo wrote:Can any 2ls or 3ls tell us anything about the journal competition in the spring? How long does it last, what is the format? Do they like, release topics as soon as exams are over, and then you have a week to write an essay? Obviously I am sure that the exact dates and everything won't be decided until the spring, but how does it typically work, or how did it work last year? How long does it last for, and how exactly does it work. I am interested because I am trying to plan around a sibling's wedding in May and some accompanying family stuff that is going on, and having as much information now about school things that I might need to be worried about at that time would be super helpful.
You'll get a lot of this information in the spring, but here was the schedule this year:

Thursday, May 5: exams end, write-on competition begins
Thursday, May 12: write-on competition ends

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:26 am

Sourire wrote:
Mothetgoo wrote:Can any 2ls or 3ls tell us anything about the journal competition in the spring? How long does it last, what is the format? Do they like, release topics as soon as exams are over, and then you have a week to write an essay? Obviously I am sure that the exact dates and everything won't be decided until the spring, but how does it typically work, or how did it work last year? How long does it last for, and how exactly does it work. I am interested because I am trying to plan around a sibling's wedding in May and some accompanying family stuff that is going on, and having as much information now about school things that I might need to be worried about at that time would be super helpful.
You'll get a lot of this information in the spring, but here was the schedule this year:

Thursday, May 5: exams end, write-on competition begins
Thursday, May 12: write-on competition ends
Also, unless you're trying to get on LR, don't bother spending any real time on write-on because everyone gets their top non-LR choice.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:35 am

Chrstgtr wrote:Also, unless you're trying to get on LR, don't bother spending any real time on write-on because everyone gets their top non-LR choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:01 pm

For the recent grads, are there any courses tested on the bar exam you'd recommend taking? I am looking for one more 3-credit course in the spring. I heard Evidence is a must-take. Anything else?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:27 am

itsme123 wrote:For the recent grads, are there any courses tested on the bar exam you'd recommend taking? I am looking for one more 3-credit course in the spring. I heard Evidence is a must-take. Anything else?
California Civil Procedure.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Looking for info on the best (read, easiest) perspective elective.

I was looking at these 3:

Law and Econ
Law and Rhetoric
Comparative Constitutional Law Seminar
Comparative Law

I heard Law and Econ was a good bet (short mini papers, no final) but it looks like its taught by someone new -- Sarath Sanga. Any insight is much appreciated!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Has anyone taken Intellectual Law Survey with Professor Pedraza Farina? I am having trouble keeping up with her lecture - she sometimes jumps around topics and her pacing throws me off. If anyone has an outline to share, I would be forever grateful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:37 pm

1L here.

How are Koehler (Evidence) and DeSanto (First Amendment) as graders?

The CTECs for Redish (Civ Pro II) say the curve is brutal. Should I avoid?

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:11 pm

daisrt wrote:1L here.

Yes. Focus should be on getting jobs and thus good grades. Usually some 1Ls end up doing very well in that class, but no reason to assume you'll be that 1L, especially b/c you can't decide if you're on the same wave-length as him until it's too late.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:22 pm

onionz wrote:

Yes. Focus should be on getting jobs and thus good grades. Usually some 1Ls end up doing very well in that class, but no reason to assume you'll be that 1L, especially b/c you can't decide if you're on the same wave-length as him until it's too late.
This x1000. Take Law and Social Change. If you raise your hand/participate once a week, do the paper rather than the exam, and submit 3 drafts of your paper after feedback, you'll get an A or A+.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Any tips for KJDs hoping for an acceptance/scholarship? Already applied and did the video interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:49 pm

SweetTort wrote:Any tips for KJDs hoping for an acceptance/scholarship? Already applied and did the video interview.
I think the only thing at this point is to write a "Why Northwestern" if you haven't already. But even that may not do anything. Once you get your scholarship offer be sure to keep negotiating/asking for more money until they say "no" at least two times. That rule applies to all the schools you get accepted to, with or without a scholarship.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:04 pm

If uncurved, Law and Social Change and Labor Law are both easy A/A+s. Contracts 2 with Kadens is a great class if you think you might want to do corporate law because it gives you a reasonable explanation of why in interviews. And I think Kadens is one of the best people to have in your corner because she really does care about students behind her hard exterior.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:26 pm

What's up with Northwestern's first time IL bar passage rate this year? 84%-that's basically tied with Kent and below University of Illinois (91%) and UChicago (97%)

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:52 pm

Pomeranian wrote:What's up with Northwestern's first time IL bar passage rate this year? 84%-that's basically tied with Kent and below University of Illinois (91%) and UChicago (97%)
Teachers mailed it in last year, nobody learned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Mullens wrote:

If uncurved, Law and Social Change and Labor Law are both easy A/A+s. Contracts 2 with Kadens is a great class if you think you might want to do corporate law because it gives you a reasonable explanation of why in interviews. And I think Kadens is one of the best people to have in your corner because she really does care about students behind her hard exterior.
I have Kadens now, and I think she's great. I heard Contracts 2 had some weird group project grading thing. What was your experience with the class? Am definitely interested.

Also, thoughts on Lupo for Remedies vs. Estates and Trusts with Schanzenbach?

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:44 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
onionz wrote:

This x1000. Take Law and Social Change. If you raise your hand/participate once a week, do the paper rather than the exam, and submit 3 drafts of your paper after feedback, you'll get an A or A+.
Thank you. Will change my bids now.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:57 am

daisrt wrote:
Mullens wrote:

I have Kadens now, and I think she's great. I heard Contracts 2 had some weird group project grading thing. What was your experience with the class? Am definitely interested.

I really liked the class. Found it very interesting and enjoyed the group work. The grading is a little funky but it works out if you work hard and the class is uncurved so Kadens can really do whatever she wants with grades in the end.

milkisforbabies

New

Post by milkisforbabies » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 pm

daisrt wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Good call on Law and Social Change. But I think Schanzenbach is one of the best teachers I had at Northwestern. Definitely worth it to take a class with him at some point, even if it's not as a 1L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ntop38

New

Post by ntop38 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:43 pm

If a class is at 40, do not add it. Don't be the person that causes the class to become curved.

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:32 am

Last edited by Kenga on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:56 am

Kenga wrote:Thinking of switching into Legislation (and out of a curved class) since there's only 20 people currently in it. Do you guys think 20 other people are going to have the same idea and I'll just end up screwing myself over, or should I go for it?
Do it. You probably don't have anything worry about. But, If it does goes over 40, then the last few over the top will switch out into something that is uncurved.

Also Jacobi is great.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:21 am

Chrstgtr wrote:
Kenga wrote:Thinking of switching into Legislation (and out of a curved class) since there's only 20 people currently in it. Do you guys think 20 other people are going to have the same idea and I'll just end up screwing myself over, or should I go for it?
Do it. You probably don't have anything worry about. But, If it does goes over 40, then the last few over the top will switch out into something that is uncurved.

Also Jacobi is great.
Agreed. Also, Legislation is awesome, and A-s to As will flow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”