Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
captainplanet

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by captainplanet » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:52 am

Does anyone do personal training at LA Fitness? Worth it? They offered me 3 times a month for $110 total, is that good? (Also, they use buy a timeshare style sales tactics to try to get you to sign up, it was way creepy).

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:14 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
LePeanut wrote:Criminal - Tuerkheimer
Torts - DiCola
Civ Pro - Redish
Contracts - Lupo

Any outlines would be much appreciated and repaid with coffee!
there are redish ones on the outline bank that you will be given access to that are better than anything else imo
Outline bank? What is this that you speak of???

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:19 am

captainplanet wrote:Does anyone do personal training at LA Fitness? Worth it? They offered me 3 times a month for $110 total, is that good? (Also, they use buy a timeshare style sales tactics to try to get you to sign up, it was way creepy).
I have no idea if the trainers are any good, but that is really cheap. But they probably aren't going to leave you alone after the three intro sessions are over.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:28 am

captainplanet wrote:Does anyone do personal training at LA Fitness? Worth it? They offered me 3 times a month for $110 total, is that good? (Also, they use buy a timeshare style sales tactics to try to get you to sign up, it was way creepy).
Good price. Try it out!

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
LePeanut wrote:Criminal - Tuerkheimer
Torts - DiCola
Civ Pro - Redish
Contracts - Lupo

Any outlines would be much appreciated and repaid with coffee!
there are redish ones on the outline bank that you will be given access to that are better than anything else imo
Outline bank? What is this that you speak of???
Oh maybe they haven't told y'all yet. Some time during October or something admin gives you a link to the apex outline bank that has outlines for all of the 1L classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:54 am

Anybody have a outline for Lupo's Remedies class?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm

zozin wrote:Anybody have a outline for Lupo's Remedies class?
He will do review sessions with ppts that you can pretty much copy and paste as an outline. You don't need to ever take notes in there.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Flips88 wrote:
He will do review sessions with ppts that you can pretty much copy and paste as an outline. You don't need to ever take notes in there.
Thanks bro.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:32 pm

zozin wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Thanks bro.
If you wanna be super lazy, i can email you mine if you pm me your email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cowabunga85

New

Post by cowabunga85 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge of the "A New World Order: the Role of the United Nations in Advancing the Rule of Law and Human Rights" class with Sawyer this semester or the Structuring Transactions: Financial Institutions with Freechack/Fleetwood? Looking for some easier classes/grades to balance out my schedule.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:53 pm

sawyer's class is going to be pretty easy, usually a short presentation and a paper, but class is literally the most boring thing ive ever had to sit through. if you do the work, dont think you can get under an A-

funkyar89

New

Post by funkyar89 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 am

So my last remaining doubt for this semester's schedule is between:

Intellectual Property - Francis

vs.

Natural Resources - Barsa.

Any and all input would be appreciated, fellow TLSers.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:03 am

funkyar89 wrote:So my last remaining doubt for this semester's schedule is between:

vs.

Any and all input would be appreciated, fellow TLSers.
Barsa is outstanding; natural resources is the worst class he teaches. Dry and statute-heavy. IP is somewhat more interesting as a topic but it's unlikely that Francis is as loveable as Barsa.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iworkforlsac

New

Post by iworkforlsac » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:48 pm

vs.

Which of the two would be easier to do well on?
Also anyone have info on Mutual FUnds Regulation? Easy A?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Barsa is a great prof and didn't think natural resources itself was that bad (it's less statute heavy than enviro, iirc). Francis has been known for giving gentleman's A-'s if it's uncurved. He's a decent prof but he's not as good as someone like Barsa. I'm not entirely sure how Barsa is as a grader and I'm not sure how Francis does when it's curved.

You don't seem particularly attached to either subject. If you care about having an interesting class, I'd lean Barsa. If you care more about your grade, I'd lean Francis.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:20 pm

bk1 wrote:Barsa is a great prof and didn't think natural resources itself was that bad (it's less statute heavy than enviro, iirc). Francis has been known for giving gentleman's A-'s if it's uncurved. He's a decent prof but he's not as good as someone like Barsa. I'm not entirely sure how Barsa is as a grader and I'm not sure how Francis does when it's curved.

You don't seem particularly attached to either subject. If you care about having an interesting class, I'd lean Barsa. If you care more about your grade, I'd lean Francis.
NR is the same basic statute declaring something a resource and empowering the president to appoint a director to oversee a new agency to manage the resource, over and over. I liked the part on water law but that was about it. Enviro is way more interesting.

Barsa's classes are usually going to be curved because he's so popular, but he grades as generously as he can within the curve. I don't know anything about Francis as a teacher, but IP is interesting if you care about art, publishing, tech, music, product design, or marketing at all because it touches all of those. For someone with a business bent, I'd lean towards IP.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Barsa's class is currently at 33 people according to Caesar, FYI.

(pleasedon'tdriveitupto41)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Is this chick on the listserv selling her belongings one item at a time, one item per email?

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:26 am

Thank god it's properly tagged though. That (spam) girl . . .

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:33 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Thank god it's properly tagged though. That (spam) girl . . .
Waiting for her to sell a 64-box of crayons, one at a time.

[SPAM][CRAIGSLIST] Burnt Sienna Crayola Crayon
Only slightly used once, to draw a tree!

daisy8080

New

Post by daisy8080 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi,

1) Can any accepted law school students talk about what sorts of extracurriculars they did in college?

2) Opinions on joining a pre-law fraternity for internship/networking connections? (My current mode of thinking: pre-law frat connections --> prestigious internships --> tie breaker for law school admissions between someone else w/ same LSAT/GPA as me)

Thanks in advance!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:10 pm

daisy8080 wrote:Hi,

1) Can any accepted law school students talk about what sorts of extracurriculars they did in college?

2) Opinions on joining a pre-law fraternity for internship/networking connections? (My current mode of thinking: pre-law frat connections --> prestigious internships --> tie breaker for law school admissions between someone else w/ same LSAT/GPA as me)

Thanks in advance!
Won't help any more than any other club or internship, probably not even as a tiebreaker. Do it if you genuinely WANT to.

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks in advance!
Re:
1) Meh - clubs may matter if you're K-JD, but particularly at NU, good WE trumps all.
2) Couldn't hurt. Won't get you into school, but if you invest time into reaching out/interacting with attorneys in your target market early, will be a great resource during OCI (in terms of fleshing out your understanding of firms and practice areas). The most valuable 0L work I did was not prep for class (which is a fool's errand) but interaction with any/all attorneys in my network.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Do whatever you can to inflate the hell out of your GPA. I majored in Communications and studied abroad for 3 semesters. Applying to law school is easier with a 3.9+.

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:55 am

Thanks in advance!
Pre-law anything is a fucking joke. Pre-law major? Pre-law fraternity? Totally meaningless. With the caveat that LSAT/GPA/Real work experience is basically all that matters for admissions purposes, here's my advice:

1) Do extracurriculars where you actually give a shit, and where you actually accomplish something. Not resume-padding nonsense, but actual accomplishments.

2) Go greek. Actual greek. Parties and weird rituals greek. Won't matter a bit for admissions, but fraternity connections have been really helpful in my job hunt. People in my fraternity have been helpful, and I've been able to connect with lawyers just on the common basis of having been greek in college.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”