Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MarkSanchez

New

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by MarkSanchez » Sat May 05, 2012 9:25 am

Does anyone know when we will get spring grades? Graduation is like tomorrow so I'm not sure how it's gonna work.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat May 05, 2012 5:41 pm

MarkSanchez wrote:Does anyone know when we will get spring grades? Graduation is like tomorrow so I'm not sure how it's gonna work.
omg, finals just ended, you all need to chill the fuck out!

jd-mba

Bronze

Post by jd-mba » Sun May 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Chicago has roaches (doesn't everywhere have roaches?) but they don't appear to live in high rises. Saw one in the law school basement. But never heard one in a high rise.
McClurg had roaches. I know someone whose next door neighbor had roaches. My friend subsequently found one in her sink, but she had the sink netting thing, so it didn't get to crawl out and she just ran hot water down the sink... Her unit was an older unit (it was gutted and renovated after she moved out), but her neighbor's was the "mid-range" upgrade. So who knows. This was on one of the lower floors, somewhere around 10-15th floor. Someone else I knew on a higher floor had a ton of fruit flies in her unit for no reason, right around the window area. She eventually moved out, too. Most of the people I know who lived in McClurg move out after a year or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more shady apartment buildings have roaches though. Of course, it's not going to be ANYWHERE near the amount of roaches you spot in NYC.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 am

Flips88 wrote:Looking at the write-on packet...

So stop looking at it. It helps.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am

Flips88 wrote:Looking at the write-on packet...

+ a fuckton...also this is making me think I barely speak English

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Any one that's already working care to comment on how the NATO shit is affecting their morning commute? I'm not back in town yet, but have to be at work at 10 on Monday. I'm just trying to figure out how much of a cushion I should give myself to get to work.

alabamabound

Bronze

Post by alabamabound » Fri May 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Flips88 wrote:Any one that's already working care to comment on how the NATO shit is affecting their morning commute? I'm not back in town yet, but have to be at work at 10 on Monday. I'm just trying to figure out how much of a cushion I should give myself to get to work.
Not affecting it at all commuting from the north side to the loop.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:12 am

Flips88 wrote:Any one that's already working care to comment on how the NATO shit is affecting their morning commute? I'm not back in town yet, but have to be at work at 10 on Monday. I'm just trying to figure out how much of a cushion I should give myself to get to work.
Second hand info from the gf: Commute hasn't been a problem but she works outside the loop (and shit hasn't gotten fully real yet). Kirkland's entire office took a few days off. There was also a threat of a protest at Kirkland's highrise and most of the people who were still working left (mainly because if a protest did happen they would get stuck inside the office until who knows when). She was told to wear street clothes rather than business clothes so as to blend in.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat May 19, 2012 4:17 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
bk187 wrote:When do we choose fall classes?
August, stop thinking ahead.
0Ls get our schedules during orientation, not before, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:17 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
bk187 wrote:When do we choose fall classes?
August, stop thinking ahead.
0Ls get our schedules during orientation, not before, right?
Correct.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Sat May 19, 2012 10:47 pm

I know for a fact that Northwestern students are mostly people with WE when they get admitted. So maybe you guys can help me out on this.

Do you think it matters where someone worked before law school?

I mean, I've heard that people who went to prestigious consulting/investment firms are seen favorably but what about the rest who just had simple office jobs at some place you never heard about. Let's say, a department store at some city or some type of trading company, or maybe a paper company like Dunder Milflin(not real)?

Do you guys think law firms care about the name of the company you worked at before law school? (or even the type of work?)

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sun May 20, 2012 8:05 pm

roranoa wrote:Do you think it matters where someone worked before law school?
Sure it matters. If you want to do patent litigation, it would be a massive help to have experience as an electrical engineer, and a massive disadvantage if you didn't. If you have experience in an industry, a firm that works with that industry will want you. Your Dunder Mifflin experience might be great for a firm that does paper law.

Also, I'm sure if a law firm was choosing between two equally qualified people, one of whom did management consulting in New York and the other was in office supply in Scranton, they'll pick the consultant. This is what everyone is always scared is going to happen to them.

But even at Northwestern, there ain't a whole lot of former management consultants. It isn't worth worrying about them. If you just want to get a job as a lawyer, my understanding is that having good grades from a top school and interviewing/networking well are all more important than what your resume says.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue May 22, 2012 2:38 pm

roranoa wrote:I know for a fact that Northwestern students are mostly people with WE when they get admitted. So maybe you guys can help me out on this.

Do you think it matters where someone worked before law school?

I mean, I've heard that people who went to prestigious consulting/investment firms are seen favorably but what about the rest who just had simple office jobs at some place you never heard about. Let's say, a department store at some city or some type of trading company, or maybe a paper company like Dunder Milflin(not real)?

Do you guys think law firms care about the name of the company you worked at before law school? (or even the type of work?)
This is pure anecdote and partially self-selection, but in my section, the non-ex-consultant types had an easier time getting paid work. I think this was mostly because several of them felt sort of entitled: "I used to be a consultant, so it will be easy for me to get a firm job!"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue May 22, 2012 2:52 pm

how well do transfer students seem to integrate?

I am thinking about applying here, but grades have not been released yet. If I repeat my first semester grades repeat I should have a decent shot.

How would the rate the quality of your gunners?

Anyone taken a class with Reddish? And how was it?

How are the teachers in general?
My current teachers kinda suck and are overly philosophical.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Bumi wrote:
roranoa wrote:Do you think it matters where someone worked before law school?
Sure it matters. If you want to do patent litigation, it would be a massive help to have experience as an electrical engineer, and a massive disadvantage if you didn't. If you have experience in an industry, a firm that works with that industry will want you. Your Dunder Mifflin experience might be great for a firm that does paper law.

Also, I'm sure if a law firm was choosing between two equally qualified people, one of whom did management consulting in New York and the other was in office supply in Scranton, they'll pick the consultant. This is what everyone is always scared is going to happen to them.

But even at Northwestern, there ain't a whole lot of former management consultants. It isn't worth worrying about them. If you just want to get a job as a lawyer, my understanding is that having good grades from a top school and interviewing/networking well are all more important than what your resume says.
i'm a former management consultant. u mad?

jk jk. yeah, i think being a lawyer is pretty different from most other types of professions so i doubt there's much of a boost from anything you did before unless it was something elite (e.g. Goldman, McK)

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed May 23, 2012 5:51 pm

jarofsoup wrote:how well do transfer students seem to integrate?

I am thinking about applying here, but grades have not been released yet. If I repeat my first semester grades repeat I should have a decent shot.

Gunners shut up mostly after first semester grades.

I've taken a couple with him. They were fine-ish. He's entertaining and very smart, but he has very clear opinions and feels strongly about them. You don't have to agree, but if you don't, you better have damn good reasons. In office hours, I found him friendly and personable. Caveat: no grades yet...so I may hate him more later ;-)

Teachers in general are great. I've one terrible, one mediocre, most good, and one outstanding. That's better than higher ed on average, I think.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

This is so true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

This is so true.
Unless you were in my section.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Somehow my section spawned some heinous 2L gunners but they didn't really gun much during 1L. Either that I wasn't paying attention.

to_transfer_or_not

New

Post by to_transfer_or_not » Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 pm

So...when are spring grades usually posted?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:53 pm

to_transfer_or_not wrote:So...when are spring grades usually posted?
Hopefully never.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat May 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Hopefully never.
+1

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sat May 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Hopefully never.
+1
+1

FWIW heard that grades are due Tuesday at midnight. So Wednesday will prob be D-Day again

Rampage1

New

Post by Rampage1 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for family oriented neighborhoods? I've never been to Chicago so I am sort of shopping in the dark.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Rampage1 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for family oriented neighborhoods? I've never been to Chicago so I am sort of shopping in the dark.
How close to school are you looking? River West, Bucktown, Andersonville, Uptown, and parts of Lincoln Park all have areas in them that are fairly family-oriented.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”