Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Icculus

Silver

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wasn't that curved?
It had to be based on #s, but Prof swore he wouldn't do it, final was a group exam, told our group we did A+ work.

edit: did NOT get an A+ (or an A of any variety for that matter)
You really can't bitch about not getting an A or A- in the a curved class.

It's the prof's fault for having such a stupid final in a curved class, but the prof can't uncurve a curved class. Rule are rules.
Right, which is why it is bs he said he was going to try and uncurve it. It sounded sketchy from the start.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Summer grades don't post by OCI time, right?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wasn't that curved?
It had to be based on #s, but Prof swore he wouldn't do it, final was a group exam, told our group we did A+ work.

edit: did NOT get an A+ (or an A of any variety for that matter)
You really can't bitch about not getting an A or A- in the a curved class.

It's the prof's fault for having such a stupid final in a curved class, but the prof can't uncurve a curved class. Rule are rules.
Right, which is why it is bs he said he was going to try and uncurve it. It sounded sketchy from the start.
He did say he'd quit if they made him curve it, so who's taking bets that he follows through?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Summer grades don't post by OCI time, right?
Correct.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Samara wrote:
Correct.
That blows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Is this Secreg prof tenured? Might make a difference how this was handled.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:22 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Is this Secreg prof tenured? Might make a difference how this was handled.
No, he's an adjunct.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Is this Secreg prof tenured? Might make a difference how this was handled.
How would it make a difference? You can't uncurve a class over the mandatory curve limit no matter the professor's status.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:26 pm

D-hops wrote:
How would it make a difference? You can't uncurve a class over the mandatory curve limit no matter the professor's status.
Right. But a tenured prof. probably wouldn't have set the class up in such a way as to basically screw people over.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Sooo...who wants to break down what's going on with this curve/SecReg business to a clueless 0L like he's 5 years old? :|

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Icculus wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Right. But a tenured prof. probably wouldn't have set the class up in such a way as to basically screw people over.
The going theory was that he was a potential big donor to the school and the admin wouldn't want to risk making him unhappy...I would have bet that they were going to make the class pass/fail

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:30 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Sooo...who wants to break down what's going on with this curve/SecReg business to a clueless 0L like he's 5 years old? :|
Class had more than 40 people, requiring a forced curve.
Prof broke class into groups and gave a group final figuring he could then argue it was fewer than 40 and thus give everyone a good grade/gentleman's A-.
Admin said no dice, class is curved.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Icculus wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:Sooo...who wants to break down what's going on with this curve/SecReg business to a clueless 0L like he's 5 years old? :|
Prof broke class into groups and gave a group final figuring he could then argue it was fewer than 40 and thus give everyone a good grade/gentleman's A-.
+ prof repeatedly said he wouldn't curve it, even up to the time the final was submitted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:35 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
+ prof repeatedly said he wouldn't curve it, even up to the time the final was submitted.
That is the part that would infuriate me. Like, I am sure he knew he had to curve it. Like, did he expect some kind or miracle? A group final in a curved class is utter bull shit.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Not by OCI, but maybe enough to boost your GPA for late massmailing and callbacks, and for government apps. I got them Sept. 15, 2011.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Should add that last spring was his first time teaching the class, so only ~20 people signed up and he handed out A+s like candy, so this semester it was full enrollment, which I don't think he was expecting.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Should add that last spring was his first time teaching the class, so only ~20 people signed up and he handed out A+s like candy, so this semester it was full enrollment, which I don't think he was expecting.
I know a bunch of people who took it for that exact reason and it resulted in Horwich's class being uncurved (though my guess is H would curve anyway). And then my friends stayed because the prof promised he wouldn't curve it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Should add that last spring was his first time teaching the class, so only ~20 people signed up and he handed out A+s like candy, so this semester it was full enrollment, which I don't think he was expecting.
I know a bunch of people who took it for that exact reason and it resulted in Horwich's class being uncurved (though my guess is H would curve anyway). And then my friends stayed because the prof promised he wouldn't curve it.
To be fair, Horwich is one of the only professors where I would prefer a curve in their class.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Icculus wrote:
To be fair, Horwich is one of the only professors that I would prefer a curve in their class.
Agreed. He is tough. HE basically emailed my class and told us we were all idiots after grades came out last semester.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Icculus wrote:
what I really wonder is if everyone in each group got the same grade, in a class that small, he couldn't do 5 A+s right?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:44 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
what I really wonder is if everyone in each group got the same grade, in a class that small, he couldn't do 5 A+s right?
Nope, in a 60 person class you can only give out what, like 2-3?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:45 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
I can't believe how angry I am for you and your class. Like, he really screwed the pooch here.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:46 pm

That's a major bummer. Follow-up question: is there a readily visible list that students can see as to whether a class is curved/uncurved (and if it is, whether the variance is big? ie "lots of As and Cs" v. "everyone gets a B+, two super-gunners get As, two unlucky slackers get Cs"), or is it all word of mouth? Regardless, I'm guessing there are flocks of students that fill up these uncurved classes super-quickly?

On a related note, do y'all think one should gun for these uncurved classes regardless of subject, or take a more interesting or relevant class to that student's long-term job preferences?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Nope. I can confirm that grades differed within my individual group.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Lol. Got a D. D's get degrees, I guess. My shitty year ends in style.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”