Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Icculus

Silver

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 am

To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 am

Icculus wrote:To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:04 pm

bk187 wrote:
Icculus wrote:To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bk187 wrote:

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:15 pm

you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.
I don't think so, unless you have a scholarship at Columbia. Even if you're interested in NY biglaw in addition to Chicago biglaw, NY is a much easier market to break into (assuming you don't have Chicago ties).

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.
I don't think so, unless you have a scholarship at Columbia. Even if you're interested in NY biglaw in addition to Chicago biglaw, NY is a much easier market to break into (assuming you don't have Chicago ties).
I would guess that NY biglaw from NU is easier to get than Chicago biglaw from Columbia. All the Chicago firms do NU OCI and we have establishd relationships with the big ones like K&E, Sidley, etc...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
I would guess that NY biglaw from NU is easier to get than Chicago biglaw from Columbia. All the Chicago firms do NU OCI and we have establishd relationships with the big ones like K&E, Sidley, etc...
Yup, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Good to know I'm not misinformed.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Yup, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Good to know I'm not misinformed.
Nope, you are right on track.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I can't even handle the idea that most of my favorite 3Ls are leaving town. NOT COOL.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Unrelated to my last post: if anyone has kleinfeld resources for crim, they would be really, really appreciated.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Regarding self-scheduled exam procedures: Do we have to do any part of the download/upload/printing(?) on campus, or is it 100% remote via Examsoft? What is the exam center in RB 160 for?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Regarding self-scheduled exam procedures: Do we have to do any part of the download/upload/printing(?) on campus, or is it 100% remote via Examsoft? What is the exam center in RB 160 for?
You can do it wherever you want. RB 160 is so that you have an easy place to do it on campus if you want to.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Regarding self-scheduled exam procedures: Do we have to do any part of the download/upload/printing(?) on campus, or is it 100% remote via Examsoft? What is the exam center in RB 160 for?
you can take it on a beach in Mexico for all they care. I generally like to take them at school, in case something gets royally fucked and you can just run downstairs to RB160.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks, that's what I thought. But another 1L thought we had to upload and download on campus and I was all :shock: and wanted to double-triple-check!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm going to start caring about these exams and papers any day now...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 am

Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.
Agreed. This is some bullshit. I'm pretty sure we paid to use this school..,

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.
If you want tuition to go up by only 3%, you're going to have to be willing to make some sacrifices.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Enjoy his bullshit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
If you want tuition to go up by only 3%, you're going to have to be willing to make some sacrifices.
That and giving people fullrides who barely got into U of C to keep our USNEWS RANKING a preftigious "just better than georgetown."

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

What I don't understand is that NU has a bigger endowment than Chicago, Penn, UVA, Georgetown, etc., yet seems functionally unable to control costs better than those schools. In many respects, it's much worse. Even our health insurance costs like $800 more per year than GULC's.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
4% next year, isn't it?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 pm

purpletiger wrote:What I don't understand is that NU has a bigger endowment than Chicago, Penn, UVA, Georgetown, etc., yet seems functionally unable to control costs better than those schools. In many respects, it's much worse. Even our health insurance costs like $800 more per year than GULC's.
But we get birth control.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”