Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Regarding the pseudo-required 50 hours of volunteer work:
I was told by another 1L that if you work, unpaid, more than the 180 hours required for your practicum or SFPIF grant over the summer, the excess hours can be counted toward your volunteer hour total. True or no?

True, but it's not really pseduo required.
Meaning "it's actually really required" or "it's not required at all"?

I'm working full time this summer, so knocking those hours out will be nice either way.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I was told by another 1L that if you work, unpaid, more than the 180 hours required for your practicum or SFPIF grant over the summer, the excess hours can be counted toward your volunteer hour total. True or no?

Meaning "it's actually really required" or "it's not required at all"?

I'm working full time this summer, so knocking those hours out will be nice either way.
It's not required at all. I've heard less than half do it.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 pm

You just get a shout out at graduation I think.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:You just get a shout out at graduation I think.
I'm ok with that, since it's such a small thing to do.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:41 pm

NY bar will require 50 hours of legal volunteer work starting with class of 2015 I believe

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:00 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:NY bar will require 50 hours of legal volunteer work starting with class of 2015 I believe
Class of 2014...

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Icculus wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:NY bar will require 50 hours of legal volunteer work starting with class of 2015 I believe
Class of 2014...
It's cool, at least the money from your paid work will go farther in NY.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Icculus wrote:
Class of 2014...
What now?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Bumi wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Class of 2014...
What now?
There was an email that was sent out last year that it was 2014. I have also heard it from people I will be working with next year.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSB ... 9?irpc=932

That article also indicates anyone in their second year if law school in sept. 2012 (class of 2014) needs to do it.

Edit: clinic counts from what I have been told.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:06 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
That is what I said too, but then they wanted me to keep track and fill out forms and I was like, eh fuck it.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 am

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
That is what I said too, but then they wanted me to keep track and fill out forms and I was like, eh fuck it.
I figure the 200+ hours over the summer all counts as one event?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:12 am

rinkrat19 wrote: I figure the 200+ hours over the summer all counts as one event?
You summer job doesn't count

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:16 am

Flips88 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote: I figure the 200+ hours over the summer all counts as one event?
You summer job doesn't count
:?: There's some disagreement, then.
Desert Fox wrote:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:28 am

Looks like you can only do it if it's a semester externship, not summer

"Time volunteering in any of the Law School's clinics or centers counts only if performed during the academic year without compensation or academic credit."

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/publicservice/faqs.html

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 am

Flips88 wrote:Looks like you can only do it if it's a semester externship, not summer

"Time volunteering in any of the Law School's clinics or centers counts only if performed during the academic year without compensation or academic credit."

Pooh.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:59 am

Flips88 wrote:Looks like you can only do it if it's a semester externship, not summer

"Additionally, clinical work and non-profit or government externship work performed over and above the number of hours set by the course instructors may be counted toward your public service goal. For example, if your civil government practicum course requires 156 hours and you work at the placement for 180 hours, you may log 24 hours as a lump sum total at the end the semester. Please click on the “externship or clinic extra hours” link when logging the hours. "

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 am

dolfan0516 wrote:

"Additionally, clinical work and non-profit or government externship work performed over and above the number of hours set by the course instructors may be counted toward your public service goal. For example, if your civil government practicum course requires 156 hours and you work at the placement for 180 hours, you may log 24 hours as a lump sum total at the end the semester. Please click on the “externship or clinic extra hours” link when logging the hours. "
It seems like this would only apply if you're taking the Fall or Spring practicum courses, though, not the summer one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:45 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:

It seems like this would only apply if you're taking the Fall or Spring practicum courses, though, not the summer one.
Why?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 am

Desert Fox wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:

Why?
See the bolded wording from flips' quote. I'm a 1L though, what do I know.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
Why?
See the bolded wording from flips' quote. I'm a 1L though, what do I know.
It may mean that volunteering during the school year only counts if you didn't get credit or compensation. That doesn't really precludes it counting non academic year volunteering from counting. So I'd guess that volunteering during the summer while the practicum isn't running counts 100%. But once the practicum starts it's only above the minimum?

And during summer school is the academic year.

Who knows, it's an honor system anyway right. Zero chance they'll ding you for it.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 am

I think crumps is right about summer being different. And you can get up to 50 hrs for clinic/externship overages, but not the 100 and 200-hr awards. Email Maureen if you have any questions, she's great.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 am

Also, I actually agree with D-Rod's latest announcement. The world may be ending.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I think crimps is right about summer being different. And you can get up to 50 hrs for clinic/externship overages, but not the 100 and 200-hr awards. Email Maureen if you have any questions, she's great.
I think this is how I'm reading it. But I'll certainly get clarification, and it's not like my summer plans are affected either way. :P

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Also, I actually agree with D-Rod's latest announcement. The world may be ending.
Meh, I dunno. I think it's irresponsible to admit and encumber with debt people who cannot pass the bar. This isn't an MA or PhD, it's a JD that is nigh worthless without the ability to pass the bar.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 am

bk187 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Also, I actually agree with D-Rod's latest announcement. The world may be ending.
Meh, I dunno. I think it's irresponsible to admit and encumber with debt people who cannot pass the bar. This isn't an MA or PhD, it's a JD that is nigh worthless without the ability to pass the bar.
I'm with bk on this one. I appreciate the sentiment, but in practice I think it will be disaterous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”