Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
basilseal

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by basilseal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm

bk187 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Also, I actually agree with D-Rod's latest announcement. The world may be ending.
Meh, I dunno. I think it's irresponsible to admit and encumber with debt people who cannot pass the bar. This isn't an MA or PhD, it's a JD that is nigh worthless without the ability to pass the bar.
Do you mean to tell me a law school would have a policy making them look good while being bad for the student? Shocked, shocked.

Also, how does an undocumented immigrant take the LSAT? I seem to remember them being pretty strict about documents.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:40 pm

basilseal wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Also, I actually agree with D-Rod's latest announcement. The world may be ending.
Meh, I dunno. I think it's irresponsible to admit and encumber with debt people who cannot pass the bar. This isn't an MA or PhD, it's a JD that is nigh worthless without the ability to pass the bar.
Do you mean to tell me a law school would have a policy making them look good while being bad for the student? Shocked, shocked.

Also, how does an undocumented immigrant take the LSAT? I seem to remember them being pretty strict about documents.
You all are missing the point: this is a golden opportunity for this thread to devolve into a TLS-style shit-show immigration debate

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
basilseal wrote:
bk187 wrote:

You all are missing the point: this is a golden opportunity for this thread to devolve into a TLS-style shit-show immigration debate
No, no, please not that. :lol:

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm

bk187 wrote:
What exactly are they changing?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Cobretti wrote:
bk187 wrote:
What exactly are they changing?
Clarifying the nebulous position on admission of undocumented students.
D-Rod wrote:At a Town Hall meeting earlier this semester, a student asked me about our position on potentially admitting and enrolling students who are also undocumented immigrants. Until now, the Law School has had no written policy on undocumented students. Northwestern University has general guidelines, which are outlined in a Statement from the President and the Provost, and published on the NU website.

Last year, the Graduate School published a memorandum specific to the question of undocumented students, in which they expressed their unequivocal support: "The Graduate School is quite willing to admit and enroll undocumented students and may use private funds to provide financial aid to support their studies in a manner consistent with applicable laws."

I agree with both the spirit and the letter of the Graduate School's statement. My position on this is that the Law School should be fully open to all students, even those who may be undocumented, because their immigration status is not relevant to their ability to learn and contribute to our community. I have begun the process of drafting a formal statement in this regard which will be published on our website and I encourage anyone who may wish to discuss this further to contact me with your thoughts, questions, and ideas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Well undocumented students can't get federal student loans, and probably can't get private loans. If the school is going to give them a free ride, they aren't really going to run up a lot of debt.

Does the Illinois bar require citizenship?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm

There are definitely states that do not have citizenship requirements (California specifically comes to mind), but I'm not sure about Illinois.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:There are definitely states that do not have citizenship requirements (California specifically comes to mind), but I'm not sure about Illinois.
"I am currently living in America in violation of the law" isn't an autoding for C&F? I honestly have no idea.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:52 pm

bk187 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:There are definitely states that do not have citizenship requirements (California specifically comes to mind), but I'm not sure about Illinois.
"I am currently living in America in violation of the law" isn't an autoding for C&F? I honestly have no idea.
That was my thought. There is no way they pass C&F.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Icculus wrote:
bk187 wrote:
That was my thought. There is no way they pass C&F.
As long as they aren't committing ID fraud, I bet C&F isn't a problem. But there might be an outright legal residency requirement.

C&F is a lower bar than people on TLS think.

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Well undocumented students can't get federal student loans, and probably can't get private loans. If the school is going to give them a free ride, they aren't really going to run up a lot of debt.

He said that undocumented students automatically get a free ride?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 pm

purpletiger wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Well undocumented students can't get federal student loans, and probably can't get private loans. If the school is going to give them a free ride, they aren't really going to run up a lot of debt.

No, this is just speculation as to how they could finance school.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Icculus wrote:
purpletiger wrote:

Seems like a chance for a start-up? Anybody else feel fine charging usurious interest rates to people whose circumstances might make them hesitant to use the legal system to assert their rights? Maybe we can get Montel to be a spokesperson.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
purpletiger wrote:

Seems like a chance for a start-up? Anybody else feel fine charging usurious interest rates to people whose circumstances might make them hesitant to use the legal system to assert their rights? Maybe we can get Montel to be a spokesperson.
think you were looking for this guy

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:22 pm

"Yes, the money is expensive, but...no, actually that's it"

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 pm

So, is all the theoretical money saved by shortening ITP being spent on NU water bottles, luggage tags, iphone cases and laptop covers for admits?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:40 am

There's money being saved by shortening ITP? And here I thought D-Rod was just trying to kill something he didn't agree with without having the balls to come out and end it altogether.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:42 am

rinkrat19 wrote:So, is all the theoretical money saved by shortening ITP being spent on NU water bottles, luggage tags, iphone cases and laptop covers for admits?
SWAG

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:48 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:So, is all the theoretical money saved by shortening ITP being spent on NU water bottles, luggage tags, iphone cases and laptop covers for admits?
SWAG
WTF. I want luggage tags and laptop covers.

If you desert us for YOU KNOW WHERE I request demand that you pass on your swag to me, mel.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:51 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:There's money being saved by shortening ITP? And here I thought D-Rod was just trying to kill something he didn't agree with without having the balls to come out and end it altogether.
I did say "theoretical" money. :? He at least has to pretend there's a real reason besides being a killjoy, right?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:59 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:There's money being saved by shortening ITP? And here I thought D-Rod was just trying to kill something he didn't agree with without having the balls to come out and end it altogether.
I did say "theoretical" money. :? He at least has to pretend there's a real reason besides being a killjoy, right?
my reading of it was "isn't this nice, students who are paying for ITP? I bet you'll pay a little less!" Nothing to do with the school saving money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:34 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
my reading of it was "isn't this nice, students who are paying for ITP? I bet you'll pay a little less!" Nothing to do with the school saving money.
Yeah the school doesn't shoulder a single dollar of ITP, right?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:26 pm

purpletiger wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Yeah the school doesn't shoulder a single dollar of ITP, right?
Right. I the idea is a shorter trip will save students money since there are fewer hotel stays/fewer flights on the trip since you can't go to as many places. If he really wants us to save money he should not make us use a travel agent and let us do it all ourselves...that could cut at least a grand off the trip. From what I have heard, he really isn't trying to kill the program but really wants it to be shorter and cheaper.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:52 pm

H
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:55 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi:

Overeager 1L starting to build my Excel list for upcoming OCI. Does anyone know how I can get contact info on NU alumni working at any particular firm (such as Kirkland) ? I heard that there was some resource in Career Services office or in Simplicity.... thanks.
Pretty sure you can go to a firm website and look people up by law school. See:

http://www.kirkland.com/sitecontent.cfm ... rch=Search

For K&E.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”