Why are there so many "X 1L Taking Questions" threads? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Aqualibrium

Gold

Why are there so many "X 1L Taking Questions" threads?

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:13 am

What do 1L's really know?

Every single one will say the school is nice, the professors are accessible, there aren't too many gunners, people share notes, I don't know much about jobs (but insert random nonsense about alumni network, externships, etc...) etc...

Wouldn't a "XYZ 2L/3L taking questions" thread make more sense?

Imjustsayin...

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Re: Why are there so many "X 1L Taking Questions" threads?

Post by tlslsnlsp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:12 am

funny, just was thinking the same thing a couple minutes back but i think the 1L's answering are helpful in terms of practical info like living situations (where to live, where not to live), whether you need a car, things like that... i mean although career prospects should dominate our decisions, its not like the other factors don't matter. plus, 2Ls and 3Ls usually jump in to fill in the blanks about career prospects, anyway.

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 pm

I think it's also helpful because they were so recently in our shoes and can offer a lot of insight into what affected their decision to attend their law school, things they wished they'd looked into better, etc.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:What do 1L's really know?

Every single one will say the school is nice, the professors are accessible, there aren't too many gunners, people share notes, I don't know much about jobs (but insert random nonsense about alumni network, externships, etc...) etc...

Imjustsayin...
All us 1L's can either work on summer job stuff, stress out about grades, or waste time on TLS (or a combination of the three). Many are opting for the last option and trying to be somewhat helpful in the process.

But yeah, I really would not be too helpful in terms of job opportunities, successful studying strategies, etc.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:What do 1L's really know?

Imjustsayin...
Because they're done with finals and feel really good/ anxious/ superior. It will fade once grades come out. It always does. I felt the same way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:31 pm

There is definitely a value to having these folks on the board. Even if they just provide ways to cut living expenses while in school that alone is a great value to us 0L folks.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:37 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:There is definitely a value to having these folks on the board. Even if they just provide ways to cut living expenses while in school that alone is a great value to us 0L folks.
Expert Tip #1: Eat a lot at Free Birds. Get the Monster size (super Monster gets too expensive, normal is a rip-off). You now have at minimum your next two meals taken care off (feel free to supplement with side items from your own fridge) for 7.39 before tax.

You're welcome.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:34 pm

While 1Ls might not be masters of their universe's yet they have/are going through what the majority of TLS will be going through at some point in the future (unless they never retake). The beauty of TLS is that it is a treasure trove of information, without 0/1/2/3ls posting what would TLS be?

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:51 am

sarcasticswede wrote:I think it's also helpful because they were so recently in our shoes and can offer a lot of insight into what affected their decision to attend their law school, things they wished they'd looked into better, etc.
+1. It can give a VERY early indicator of whether we're making a choice for one school over another for a good reason, among other things. It helps when even 1Ls can give concrete examples of these "things that happen at every school" so that we can try and debunk what's a myth and what's true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:44 pm

It is the most useless dribble ever written. They don't have grades, they don't know where they stand, life still seems hunky dory. It seems like there are far fewer 2Ls and 3Ls on here saying how wonderful law school is and the very few that do show up are here to warn 0Ls not to apply. Do more than a handful of 2Ls and 3Ls come back and say how wonderful law school is and everyone should apply? Generally by graduation most students expectations have been flushed down the toilet, and unfortunately the "we have AMAZING professors here at Wash U./American/Pepperine and an awesome gym" threads by 1Ls seem to get the most attention.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 pm

MrAnon wrote:It is the most useless dribble ever written. They don't have grades, they don't know where they stand, life still seems hunky dory. It seems like there are far fewer 2Ls and 3Ls on here saying how wonderful law school is and the very few that do show up are here to warn 0Ls not to apply. Do more than a handful of 2Ls and 3Ls come back and say how wonderful law school is and everyone should apply? Generally by graduation most students expectations have been flushed down the toilet, and unfortunately the "we have AMAZING professors here at Wash U./American/Pepperine and an awesome gym" threads by 1Ls seem to get the most attention.

Oh gee, imagine that. A negative post from you. I've never seen that before.

SullaFelix

Bronze

Post by SullaFelix » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:14 am

MrAnon wrote:It is the most useless dribble ever written. They don't have grades, they don't know where they stand, life still seems hunky dory. It seems like there are far fewer 2Ls and 3Ls on here saying how wonderful law school is and the very few that do show up are here to warn 0Ls not to apply. Do more than a handful of 2Ls and 3Ls come back and say how wonderful law school is and everyone should apply? Generally by graduation most students expectations have been flushed down the toilet, and unfortunately the "we have AMAZING professors here at Wash U./American/Pepperine and an awesome gym" threads by 1Ls seem to get the most attention.
It's free, unsolicited information. Either read it while acknowledging its limitations, or ignore it entirely. Hardly seems worth complaining over.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:15 am

shrug. if people didn't want to ask 1Ls questions, they'd die. there's a market for them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:17 am

IAFG wrote:shrug. if people didn't want to ask 1Ls questions, they'd die. there's a market for them.
and the price of that stock rises with every acceptance letter mailed

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:21 pm

I am a 4L and am still pleased with my decision to go to law school. however, I do agree with a large part of your post. After first year, a lot of the luster disappears.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”