NYU 3L relaxing...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rikkitikki

Re: NYU 3L relaxing...

Postby rikkitikki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:41 am

Awesome answers, thanks a ton.

The first pitcher is on me when I hit the Big Apple. :-D

melamine

Postby melamine » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:38 pm

this is going to be the dumbest question ever - forgive me if someone's asked about this already.

i have a dog. a small-medium sized dog. i take it the NYU student housing isn't pet-friendly, yes? if so, is it difficult to find pet-friendly housing?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:53 pm

melamine wrote:this is going to be the dumbest question ever - forgive me if someone's asked about this already.

i have a dog. a small-medium sized dog. i take it the NYU student housing isn't pet-friendly, yes? if so, is it difficult to find pet-friendly housing?

No, it's not pet-friendly, and yes, very difficult. I had to find new homes for my dogs before school started.

melamine

Postby melamine » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Renzo wrote:
melamine wrote:this is going to be the dumbest question ever - forgive me if someone's asked about this already.

No, it's not pet-friendly, and yes, very difficult. I had to find new homes for my dogs before school started.

aaah.... this is going to be difficult. well thanks for the information.

alicen

Postby alicen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:48 pm

another question...thanks for being so diligent in answering!

could you give a good idea of what your basic weekly schedule looked like as a 1L? like how much time you spent working outside of class, how often you went out, what you did for dinner, etc etc, and if that is pretty much what your friends experienced as well?

alicen

Postby alicen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:48 pm

another question...thanks for being so diligent in answering!

could you give a good idea of what your basic weekly schedule looked like as a 1L? like how much time you spent working outside of class, how often you went out, what you did for dinner, etc etc, and if that is pretty much what your friends experienced as well?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:32 am

twistedwrister wrote:
asealclubber wrote:When you say "by choice," do you mean that you were accepted but declined, or that you didn't try out at all?

I graded on but declined.

Is NYU LR entirely selected by grade on?

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:55 am

ahduth wrote:
twistedwrister wrote:
asealclubber wrote:When you say "by choice," do you mean that you were accepted but declined, or that you didn't try out at all?

I graded on but declined.

Is NYU LR entirely selected by grade on?

No, just partially. Selection method is below:

"Between 15 and 17 students will be selected on the basis of their writing competition scores, without regard to their grades or personal statements.

Between 15 and 17 students will be selected on the basis of their grades, without regard to their writing competition scores or personal statements, excluding those selected by writing.

Up to 5 students will be selected on the basis of a combination of their grades and writing competition scores, excluding those selected by the methods above.

Exactly 12 students will be selected on the basis of their personal statements, provided that either their grades or writing competition scores place them in the top half of all remaining applicants."

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 am

Are median kids getting biglaw at nyu?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 pm

thecilent wrote:Are median kids getting biglaw at nyu?

Two years ago was the worst OCI they've ever had, and just shy of 70% of OCI participants got at least one offer. Last year was slightly better.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:50 pm

alicen wrote:another question...thanks for being so diligent in answering!

No problem! I treated 1L like a job. Commuted to school relatively early (8 or 9 AM), worked/read/outlined between classes, took a break for lunch, went home at 5-6 PM, ate dinner, watched TV, and usually worked from 9 PM until 11 PM or so. All in all, I probably worked about 35 hours a week outside of class. I went out to dinner a few times a week, played sports a few times a week, etc. I usually went out either Friday or Sat. night, and I didn't work much (if at all) most Sundays. If you manage your time well, you'll have time for a social life.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 am

I'll be around today if anyone has more questions.

al2546

Postby al2546 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 am

as 0Ls, is there anything we should do this summer to prepare?

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 am

I've heard that both NYU and Columbia have a fairly close working relationship with the UN. Do you know anyone who has a) done any summer work with the UN while in law school and/or b) secured a job with the UN in some capacity? If so, do you know what they'll be doing? (And if they qualify for LRAP?)

Just curious, because I interned with the UN while I was in graduate school and met quite a few international and human rights lawyers, but in discussions of post-law school employment, UN work is hardly ever mentioned (and anyone who dares to mention international law is disparaged!).

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:34 am

al2546 wrote:as 0Ls, is there anything we should do this summer to prepare?

There are tons of threads on the 0L prep debate. Some say do it, most say don't. I didn't do any law school prep and ended up at the top of the class. I suggest you "prepare" by having fun, relaxing, spending time with friends and loved ones, etc. You'll have plenty to do once school starts.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 am

amorfati wrote:I've heard that both NYU and Columbia have a fairly close working relationship with the UN. Do you know anyone who has a) done any summer work with the UN while in law school and/or b) secured a job with the UN in some capacity? If so, do you know what they'll be doing? (And if they qualify for LRAP?)

Just curious, because I interned with the UN while I was in graduate school and met quite a few international and human rights lawyers, but in discussions of post-law school employment, UN work is hardly ever mentioned (and anyone who dares to mention international law is disparaged!).

Unfortunately I don't. I'm just not tapped into the "international law" community at NYU (not my cup of tea). As you mentioned, NYU does have top-notch scholarships, programs, faculty, etc. in the field (http://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/areasoffocus/international/index.htm)

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 am

Is it common to interview/get an offer for back-to-back District/CoA clerkships? How does that work?

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 am

Sam Seaborn wrote:Is it common to interview/get an offer for back-to-back District/CoA clerkships? How does that work?

I'm not sure what you mean by "common." No federal clerkships are common these days because the competition is so fierce. However, for qualified applicants who want to do both D. Ct. and CoA clerkships, it's fairly common to get both lined up at the same time. I have a few friends who are doing the Rakoff (S.D.N.Y.) / Katzmann (2d Cir.) double, and they interviewed with both judges within a very short period of time. Those two judges in particular tend to hire in combination.

Alternatively, some CoA judges hire a year or two in advance. One of my buddies got a 2012 CoA offer right off the bat and then took at D. Ct. clerkship in 2011. It didn't make sense for him to work at a firm for a year, leave for a CoA clerkship, and then return to the firm.

In my case, I applied to, and inverviewed with, both D. Ct. judges and CoA judges. I got the D. Ct. offer for 2011 first, and then the CoA offer for 2012. Some CoA judges like clerks with either D. Ct. or law firm experience, so my D. Ct. clerkship might have helped me land the CoA gig. I can't be certain, though.

legalmo

Postby legalmo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 pm

I doubt this has been asked already, but are there gays everywhere? I'm from NY but have never really lived in Manhattan/The Village.

If so, how are they received (looked down upon, ostracized, restricted to a club for socializing, etc.)? I asked this in a Columbia thread, though I imagine things are different uptown.

llamaman

Postby llamaman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:19 pm

What are some of the more common 1L summer jobs? Is it rare to work at a large firm? Thanks!

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:20 pm

legalmo wrote:I doubt this has been asked already, but are there gays everywhere? I'm from NY but have never really lived in Manhattan/The Village.

If so, how are they received (looked down upon, ostracized, restricted to a club for socializing, etc.)? I asked this in a Columbia thread, though I imagine things are different uptown.

:shock: :roll:

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:29 pm

llamaman wrote:What are some of the more common 1L summer jobs? Is it rare to work at a large firm? Thanks!

Government / PI gigs are the most common. Lots of people work in SDNY USAO, EDNY USAO, state AG offices, other government agencies, random PI organizations that interview at the PILC fair, etc. Quite a few work for judges. Most of the firm jobs are diversity fellowships.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:54 pm

twistedwrister wrote:
llamaman wrote:What are some of the more common 1L summer jobs? Is it rare to work at a large firm? Thanks!

Government / PI gigs are the most common. Lots of people work in SDNY USAO, EDNY USAO, state AG offices, other government agencies, random PI organizations that interview at the PILC fair, etc. Quite a few work for judges. Most of the firm jobs are diversity fellowships.

Bolded is kinda depressing

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:00 am

thecilent wrote:
twistedwrister wrote:

Bolded is kinda depressing

Why? I think it's a good idea to work in PI/government your first summer, even if you want to end up at a firm. I had great 1L grades and didn't even apply to firms. A lot of PI/gov organizations give more responsibility, a wider variety of projects, more feedback, etc., to 1Ls than a firm would. You might end up loving what you do and decide that a big firm isn't for you. Also, working at a firm as a 1L can actually hurt you in the long run. Most of the summer associates will be 2Ls, who have more experience (probably b/c they worked at PI/gov their first summer). As a 1L, you'll have a much steeper learning curve, and your work product might not be as good as the 2Ls'. The firm might think you can't cut it and (a) won't invite you back for 2L summer, and (b) won't provide an especially good reference for you. I've seen this scenario play out at my firm.

Having said all that, I know quite a few people who worked at a firm as a 1L (diversity fellowships and otherwise). You can do it, but a lot of NYU students don't even look at firms until 2L.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:08 am

I see what you are saying. I just want a firm 1L summer for the $$. I legit can't afford to not have something that pays between 1L and 2L

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”