Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
delusional

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:28 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
delusional wrote:Also, people do leave because of grades, although it is hard to tell whether it's because of bad grades, or super gunners who can't handle median. Not many people though - I know of one.

It's hard to imagine a situation where this would make sense, especially since LIPP mitigates the risk of taking on additional debt.
Didn't say it made sense. Said it happened.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:13 pm

delusional wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
delusional wrote:Also, people do leave because of grades, although it is hard to tell whether it's because of bad grades, or super gunners who can't handle median. Not many people though - I know of one.

It's hard to imagine a situation where this would make sense, especially since LIPP mitigates the risk of taking on additional debt.
Didn't say it made sense. Said it happened.

Oh I believe you. Just emphasizing for 0L readers that this is not a credited course of action.

Ballislife

Postby Ballislife » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:33 pm

For the JD/MBA program, if you've been accepted to the law school already but have 0 years of full-time work experience (just came out of undergrad) could I still apply to the MBA program after my 1st year of law school or do I need to have the work experience to even be considered?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:35 am

Ballislife wrote:For the JD/MBA program, if you've been accepted to the law school already but have 0 years of full-time work experience (just came out of undergrad) could I still apply to the MBA program after my 1st year of law school or do I need to have the work experience to even be considered?

You need work experience.

bluthbanana

Postby bluthbanana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:23 pm

how much, if any, socializing goes on between HLS students and students from other grad programs? I come from a UG with a culture I imagine being very different from law school's, and I might feel more at home with arts&science people. Then again, this may just be my own misconception.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:27 pm

bluthbanana wrote:how much, if any, socializing goes on between HLS students and students from other grad programs? I come from a UG with a culture I imagine being very different from law school's, and I might feel more at home with arts&science people. Then again, this may just be my own misconception.

there are no formal mixers or anything like that. but you sometimes meet random grad students at local bars (especially queens head in my experience). you can also proactively seek this out by joining inter campus orgs, or even extra curricular groups at the other schools.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:41 pm

ph14 wrote:
Ballislife wrote:For the JD/MBA program, if you've been accepted to the law school already but have 0 years of full-time work experience (just came out of undergrad) could I still apply to the MBA program after my 1st year of law school or do I need to have the work experience to even be considered?

You need work experience.

actually you only usually need work experience... there have been some acceptances into the JD/MBA program for K-JDs in the past. Of course work experience helps a ton when applying tho

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:46 pm

englawyer wrote:
bluthbanana wrote:how much, if any, socializing goes on between HLS students and students from other grad programs? I come from a UG with a culture I imagine being very different from law school's, and I might feel more at home with arts&science people. Then again, this may just be my own misconception.

there are no formal mixers or anything like that. but you sometimes meet random grad students at local bars (especially queens head in my experience). you can also proactively seek this out by joining inter campus orgs, or even extra curricular groups at the other schools.

Im going to qualify this a little it.. there actually are quite a few formal mixers but they are usually sponsored through affinity groups and other orgs. Nearly all the affinity groups and most of the orgs sponsor mixers with related groups at other grad schools. BLSA does a lot with the B-school and the spring conference was coordinated with the divinity school this year I believe. HALB does stuff with the B-school. Ive been to mixers that involved the school of public health as well.

EDIT: wait... just realized I might not know what you are talking about. Law school is almost entirely made up of formerly "arts&science" people... in fact, law school itself is pretty much an "arts&science" kind of subject.

captainwasabi09

Postby captainwasabi09 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 pm

I asked JS this in my JS1 and she suggested cross registering as one way. Apparently she met her husband that way. Cute. :D

My own question: are there any guidelines for cross registering? I'd be very interested in taking classes at the Divinity school. I could see the Christian ethics classes as being relevant to law, but some other classes wouldn't really be relevant. So, when applying for the cross registry approval, how much does relevance to law matter?

Faustus

Postby Faustus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:58 pm

(1) Any HLS students who went into the Peace Corps or have classmates that did so? I plan to go in after undergrad as a chance to learn a couple languages and do a bit of good in the world before going into law school. I'd like to see how popular this route is and what advantages those who've gone down it gained.

(2) Any HLS students who are using the military to pay for their education that could offer some advice when to go in? Is HLS so expensive that I even need to? My planned career (intl / human rights) won't afford much opportunity to pay back $300,000+ in student loans, and it matches well with a JAG career. I don't think blacklisting because of the Peace Corps will be a problem, both of my parents were pretty high up.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Faustus wrote:(1) Any HLS students who went into the Peace Corps or have classmates that did so? I plan to go in after undergrad as a chance to learn a couple languages and do a bit of good in the world before going into law school. I'd like to see how popular this route is and what advantages those who've gone down it gained.

(2) Any HLS students who are using the military to pay for their education that could offer some advice when to go in? Is HLS so expensive that I even need to? My planned career (intl / human rights) won't afford much opportunity to pay back $300,000+ in student loans, and it matches well with a JAG career. I don't think blacklisting because of the Peace Corps will be a problem, both of my parents were pretty high up.

Don't have any relevant experience, but http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/lipp/index.html

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Faustus wrote:(1) Any HLS students who went into the Peace Corps or have classmates that did so? I plan to go in after undergrad as a chance to learn a couple languages and do a bit of good in the world before going into law school. I'd like to see how popular this route is and what advantages those who've gone down it gained.

Re: (1), one of my good friends came from the Peace Corps to HLS (he applied, got in, and deferred before leaving for his tour)

ECRBaller

Postby ECRBaller » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks to everyone for answering questions,
Can anyone talk about HLS job prospects in LA? I want to eventually come back here and I was hoping I could get a decent job in LA the summer after my 1L.

Thank you!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:50 pm

ECRBaller wrote:Thanks to everyone for answering questions,
Can anyone talk about HLS job prospects in LA? I want to eventually come back here and I was hoping I could get a decent job in LA the summer after my 1L.

Thank you!

Define "decent." Like, a biglaw SA? Unlikely.

For 2L biglaw, it's the third most difficult market to get to according to OCS after D.C. and San Fran. But since you have ties, it should be fine.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:51 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Thank you!

For 2L biglaw, it's the third most difficult market to get to according to OCS after D.C. and San Fran. But since you have ties, it should be fine.

since were on this topic..what are the chances of a 1L getting big law in lets assume, DC or boston?

what do people usually do their 1L yr? judicial internship? non-profit? government (usao, doj)?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 pm

thederangedwang wrote:since were on this topic..what are the chances of a 1L getting big law in lets assume, DC or boston?

what do people usually do their 1L yr? judicial internship? non-profit? government (usao, doj)?

I made it to the callbacks for a D.C. firm, but didn't get the one slot they had for HLS students. I don't know anybody working at a Boston firm this summer, though I know it happens. There just aren't very many 1L biglaw spots, and they tend to be part of diversity programs. 70% of people do something in the public sector along the lines of non-profit, govt. or judicial internship, and the majority of the 30% who do something in the private sector are racial minorities and/or have hard science backgrounds.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:32 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:since were on this topic..what are the chances of a 1L getting big law in lets assume, DC or boston?

I made it to the callbacks for a D.C. firm, but didn't get the one slot they had for HLS students. I don't know anybody working at a Boston firm this summer, though I know it happens. There just aren't very many 1L biglaw spots, and they tend to be part of diversity programs. 70% of people do something in the public sector along the lines of non-profit, govt. or judicial internship, and the majority of the 30% who do something in the private sector are racial minorities and/or have hard science backgrounds.

for these diversity programs, do you have to look for it yourself or does career services help you?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:35 pm

thederangedwang wrote:for these diversity programs, do you have to look for it yourself or does career services help you?

Yourself. Symplicity will have some listings, but there's a lot more beyond that. In general, consider OCS a starting point, not the process.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:56 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:for these diversity programs, do you have to look for it yourself or does career services help you?

Yourself. Symplicity will have some listings, but there's a lot more beyond that. In general, consider OCS a starting point, not the process.

is any type of asian considered a minority for these programs? obviously for law school admissions it doesnt

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:57 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

I think it's even tougher than that. I went to an OCS presentation on the private sector and if i'm recalling correctly only ~15% of 1Ls had firm jobs for 1L summer.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
I think it's even tougher than that. I went to an OCS presentation on the private sector and if i'm recalling correctly only ~15% of 1Ls had firm jobs for 1L summer.

There are other paid jobs in the "private" sector other than firm jobs.

Asians are eligible to apply, but, really, don't count on it.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:48 am

acrossthelake wrote:
ph14 wrote:

There are other paid jobs in the "private" sector other than firm jobs.

Asians are eligible to apply, but, really, don't count on it.

It also depends a bit on where you are from.. If you are from Texas, Georgia, or some other decent sized secondary market your shot at 1L biglaw is a lot better.. many of those firms will interview you on personality and make an offer without even seeing your grades.

TBH though, obsessing about 1L firm jobs is one of the dumb things that law students tend to do. The money is obviously awesome (but only if you aren't a big need-based aid recipient), you get to see what corporate law is like and summer programs are fun but if you have the grades/personality to get a 1L SA you aren't going to strike out at EIP so you will get a chance to do it all the next year. The biggest benefit of a 1L SA is really just the ability to check out a firm and see if you like the culture enough to commit (although some high-end firms don't automatically offer 1L SAs a chance to come back for 2L). It varies by firm but IMO the work that most summers do isn't in the same stratosphere, in terms of being interesting and substantive, as the work you could do at a good NGO. Two summers of being at a firm doing 501(c)(3) apps, dead end or unused research, and being as silent as possible while sitting in on conference calls/meetings seems excessive.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:23 am

I'm from FL. Let's assume I end up getting a 1L SA in FL since I can't get one in DC. I have no intention of ending up in FL, rather, I want to be in DC.

Come 2L, could all of my FL ties and FL work experience actually be viewed as a negative by DC firms and hurt my chances of breaking into other markets? And on a related note, do you have to choose which market to go into? Meaning, if I'm applying to a law firm that has offices in both boston and DC, can I apply to both offices or do I have to pick one?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:19 pm

You shouldn't apply to both offices.

ECRBaller

Postby ECRBaller » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:52 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Thank you!

Thank you. As long as I can get something noteworthy in LA i'll be happy. How about big law prospects in LA after law school? I want to eventually settle down over here. Thanks again for your help! You guys are great.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”