Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tgmi123

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tgmi123 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:39 pm

I'm currently in Nesson's Fair Trial. The class is interesting but I'm also a bit confused by it. Do people have insights about how grading works in this class? I've occasionally heard that it's an "easy H" class but have heard more often that grading is completely random and a bunch of people end up w/ Ps. If the latter, any ideas on how to do well in the class?

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am

tgmi123 wrote:I'm currently in Nesson's Fair Trial. The class is interesting but I'm also a bit confused by it. Do people have insights about how grading works in this class? I've occasionally heard that it's an "easy H" class but have heard more often that grading is completely random and a bunch of people end up w/ Ps. If the latter, any ideas on how to do well in the class?

I took a Nesson class last semester. Just lean back, show up when you can, and chill. I'm pretty sure everyone got an H, maybe unless you straight up never showed up and barely turned in a final.

kdxsam

New

Postby kdxsam » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 am

Can anyone share their experience of cross-registering a class at HBS? How's the experience/work load/grading?

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
tgmi123 wrote:I'm currently in Nesson's Fair Trial. The class is interesting but I'm also a bit confused by it. Do people have insights about how grading works in this class? I've occasionally heard that it's an "easy H" class but have heard more often that grading is completely random and a bunch of people end up w/ Ps. If the latter, any ideas on how to do well in the class?

I took a Nesson class last semester. Just lean back, show up when you can, and chill. I'm pretty sure everyone got an H, maybe unless you straight up never showed up and barely turned in a final.

For whatever it's worth, I got a P from Nesson, and I had around a 3:1 H:P ratio in law school. I think his grading is very random and his classes are a waste of time, but maybe I'm just bitter.

tgmi123

New

Postby tgmi123 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:48 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:

For whatever it's worth, I got a P from Nesson, and I had around a 3:1 H:P ratio in law school. I think his grading is very random and his classes are a waste of time, but maybe I'm just bitter.

Definitely getting the sense that grading is random. Did you attend most classes and participate in discussions? Did you put a lot of effort into the final paper? Thanks.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 pm

tgmi123 wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:

Definitely getting the sense that grading is random. Did you attend most classes and participate in discussions? Did you put a lot of effort into the final paper? Thanks.

I admittedly did not attend class that often. I went less as the semester dragged on. I had him for evidence, which had an exam rather than a paper. One question was given out in advance and we were encouraged to put together an answer before the exam. The other question was "What did you learn from this class?" I don't claim to have worked especially hard, but still . . .

tgmi123

New

Postby tgmi123 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
tgmi123 wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:

I admittedly did not attend class that often. I went less as the semester dragged on. I had him for evidence, which had an exam rather than a paper. One question was given out in advance and we were encouraged to put together an answer before the exam. The other question was "What did you learn from this class?" I don't claim to have worked especially hard, but still . . .

Thanks for the reply! Was the Evidence class large enough to be subject to the curve?

Lolstudent

New

Postby Lolstudent » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:32 pm

What's a painless way to get the writing requirement fulfilled? My Ames team and I wrote the three briefs needed to get half of the Option 2 requirement checked off, but I still need one faculty-supervised paper. Any classes you'd recommend? Thanks in advance!

Pneumonia

Gold

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Lolstudent wrote:What's a painless way to get the writing requirement fulfilled? My Ames team and I wrote the three briefs needed to get half of the Option 2 requirement checked off, but I still need one faculty-supervised paper. Any classes you'd recommend? Thanks in advance!

It doesn't have to be a paper, it just has to be 15 pages from a single course or seminar (so no reading groups). Here's the language: "law school course and seminar papers, including the standard series of reaction papers, amounting to no fewer than 15 pages."

Assuming no journal work, the most painless option is to satisfy the requirement with something you would be doing already. For example--
    -Negotiation Workshop requires a final paper in lieu of exam;
    -Some Legal Profession classes allow a final paper in lieu of exam (this is probably the easiest option (i) because LP is required and (ii) because you satisfy the requirement and get out of an exam by doing it).

Beyond these or similar options your best bet is just to take a seminar and maker sure you hit 15 pages total.

TripTrip

Gold

Postby TripTrip » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 am

Pro-tip: It's hard to get a "P" in your seminar if you use it as your Option 2 paper and work with your professor on it.

tcav223

New

Postby tcav223 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 pm

anyone know if feldman still gives LPs?

mn40

New

Postby mn40 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 am

Do 2Ls have to wait until late January for all of our grades to be released at once like 1Ls? Or do they trickle in individually as professors complete their grading?

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:35 am

mn40 wrote:Do 2Ls have to wait until late January for all of our grades to be released at once like 1Ls? Or do they trickle in individually as professors complete their grading?

Most will come out at the deadline, some will be later.

mn40

New

Postby mn40 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks. To clarify, that means that 2Ls/3Ls will generally get grades before 1Ls, right? If I remember correctly, the deadline to submit was a few weeks before 1L grades were released en masse?

EnderWiggin

Silver

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:07 pm

mn40 wrote:Thanks. To clarify, that means that 2Ls/3Ls will generally get grades before 1Ls, right? If I remember correctly, the deadline to submit was a few weeks before 1L grades were released en masse?

No. Fall grades for all students have historically been released all at once (usually during the first week of the spring semester).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?