Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
schocolate
Posts: 1314
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby schocolate » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am

together41 wrote:
schocolate wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:Does anyone know if it will be one day of calls or two this year?


It seems like they made their calls yesterday but if anyone declined, they'll call more people to fill those spots today.


Do you have that confirmed in any way?


Nope, not really. A friend got on and said they had until noon today to give an answer, so this is just speculation based on that.

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby radio1nowhere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 pm

schocolate wrote:
together41 wrote:
schocolate wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:Does anyone know if it will be one day of calls or two this year?


It seems like they made their calls yesterday but if anyone declined, they'll call more people to fill those spots today.


Do you have that confirmed in any way?


Nope, not really. A friend got on and said they had until noon today to give an answer, so this is just speculation based on that.


The answer is that calls are scheduled go out randomly over a period of several days to ensure that no one could figure out who may have gotten in "off the waitlist" or whatever. Hopefully no one would give a second thought to something like that anyway, but there isn't much law students won't speculate on. See, e.g., TLS. :roll:

User avatar
cdotson2
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby cdotson2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:The answer is that calls are scheduled go out randomly over a period of several days to ensure that no one could figure out who may have gotten in "off the waitlist" or whatever. Hopefully no one would give a second thought to something like that anyway, but there isn't much law students won't speculate on. See, e.g., TLS. :roll:


So have all the calls been made yet?

User avatar
schocolate
Posts: 1314
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby schocolate » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:29 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:The answer is that calls are scheduled go out randomly over a period of several days to ensure that no one could figure out who may have gotten in "off the waitlist" or whatever. Hopefully no one would give a second thought to something like that anyway, but there isn't much law students won't speculate on. See, e.g., TLS. :roll:


Speculation cheerfully withdrawn!

User avatar
taxman14
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby taxman14 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Where do HLS students commonly eat? I know that there's no dining hall and if you're living off-campus you may have a big kitchen for cooking. But what about students living on campus, where do you go to eat?

User avatar
QuentonCassidy
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby QuentonCassidy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

taxman14 wrote:Where do HLS students commonly eat? I know that there's no dining hall and if you're living off-campus you may have a big kitchen for cooking. But what about students living on campus, where do you go to eat?

The Hark is popular for lunch; it's in the same building that most (all?) of your classes will be in. I didn't live on campus so I'm not sure about breakfast/dinner.

User avatar
EnderWiggin
Posts: 1212
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby EnderWiggin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm

taxman14 wrote:Where do HLS students commonly eat? I know that there's no dining hall and if you're living off-campus you may have a big kitchen for cooking. But what about students living on campus, where do you go to eat?


There is a dining hall: the Hark in the WCC, which last year was open M-F for breakfast and lunch. The Pub Grille (Mini-Hark) in the WCC has a more limited selection but is open on weekday evenings for dinner (except Friday). There aren't any on-campus dining options available during the evenings on the weekend, but for breakfast and lunch on Saturdays and Sundays the Mini-Hark is open.

Lots of students eat off campus frequently. Harvard Square is a close walk and there are options on Mass Ave as you head north toward Porter Square. You will come to love and hate Cambridge Common (the restaurant; the park is nice).

LHS17
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:29 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby LHS17 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Curious whether people think it's worth it to take Securities Regulation if already Series 79 certified.

Corporate lawyers and litigators alike ranked it very high in the Harvard survey of most useful business courses a few years back.

I learned what I needed in order to pass the Series 79 exam, but didn't apply the principles much (if at all) in the job that required me to take it.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 am

someone through a law review bone here and satisfy my curiosity please

User avatar
slippin_jimmy
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby slippin_jimmy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:51 pm

HLR rejections coming in hot #selfcallout

throwaway_
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby throwaway_ » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:00 pm

LHS17 wrote:Curious whether people think it's worth it to take Securities Regulation if already Series 79 certified.

Corporate lawyers and litigators alike ranked it very high in the Harvard survey of most useful business courses a few years back.

I learned what I needed in order to pass the Series 79 exam, but didn't apply the principles much (if at all) in the job that required me to take it.


Was that an alumni survey? The secreg offerings at specifically HLS are quite abysmal.

SCOTUS Twerk
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby SCOTUS Twerk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm

ValeVale wrote:
together41 wrote:Related to the earlier discussion, has anyone heard from law review yet?


According to clerkship blog, someone has heard.


What blog is this?

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Yasmina Abdel-Malek
Simon Barnicle
Leila Bijan
Molly Brown
Sarah Catalano
Grayson Clary
Catherine Coquillette
Yoseph Desta
Anneke Dunbar-Gronke
Clare Duncan
Blake Ellison
Daniel Farewell
Imani R. Franklin
Harleen Gambhir
Mary Goetz
Emerson Gordon-Marvin
Maxwell Gottschall
Harry Graver
Matthew Griechen
Victoria Hall-Palerm
Andrew Leon Hanna
Andrew Hellman
Tre Holloway
Ellora Israni
Madeline Jenks
Ben Jernigan
Sarah Kahwash
Caitlin Kearney
Kevin Keller
Cason Kynes
Harry Larson
Jesse Lempel
Paul Maneri
Marissa Marandola
Rebecca Martin
Hannah Mullen
Alisan Oliver-Li
Catherine Padhi
Ali Remick
Dawson Robinson
Sandra Gonzalez Sanchez
Spencer Smith
Zach Tan
Robin Tholin
Michael Thomas
Jessica Zhang

Congratulations!!!

tomwatts
Posts: 1689
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:57 pm

SCOTUS Twerk wrote:
ValeVale wrote:
together41 wrote:Related to the earlier discussion, has anyone heard from law review yet?


According to clerkship blog, someone has heard.


What blog is this?

The Bench.

curry1
Posts: 874
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby curry1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Would you recommend doing HBX, or will it be too much of a time sink during 1l? I was admitted off the waitlist, so I did not have the opportunity to complete it during the summer. I'm a KJD, in case that's relevant.

throwaway_
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby throwaway_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:41 pm

curry1 wrote:Would you recommend doing HBX, or will it be too much of a time sink during 1l? I was admitted off the waitlist, so I did not have the opportunity to complete it during the summer. I'm a KJD, in case that's relevant.


How much work is it? Probably no, with a very soft "maybe" as a K-JD if you're seriously considering recruiting for consulting / banking.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:49 pm

curry1 wrote:Would you recommend doing HBX, or will it be too much of a time sink during 1l? I was admitted off the waitlist, so I did not have the opportunity to complete it during the summer. I'm a KJD, in case that's relevant.


Definitely do not do this during 1L. you can do it during 1L summer if you reallly want to

nubcs
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:54 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nubcs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:55 pm

curry1 wrote:Would you recommend doing HBX, or will it be too much of a time sink during 1l? I was admitted off the waitlist, so I did not have the opportunity to complete it during the summer. I'm a KJD, in case that's relevant.


I'm in the middle of the 8-week course (the shortest one). They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment, which sounds about right based on what other people have been saying it's taking them. The material isn't too difficult (yet), but it's hard to speed through because of the way the course is designed, with multiple short videos and interaction points; the course is also gated by week, so you can't just bang out all of it when you find the time to.

tomwatts
Posts: 1689
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 pm

nubcs wrote:They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment

Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 pm

tomwatts wrote:
nubcs wrote:They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment

Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.

Yeah that's completely unworkable. There's no reason to even attempt it. And honestly I'm baffled as to why the administration would even offer it as an option to 1Ls during the term.

throwaway_
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby throwaway_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 pm

tomwatts wrote:
nubcs wrote:They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment

Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.


Hahahaha. Yes, that's ridiculous.

User avatar
Joscellin
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Joscellin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 am

tomwatts wrote:
nubcs wrote:They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment

Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.


Eh?

I definitely played 15 hours a week or so of video games during 1L.

User avatar
theconsigliere
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby theconsigliere » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:31 am

Joscellin wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
nubcs wrote:They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment

Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.


Eh?

I definitely played 15 hours a week or so of video games during 1L.


Im sure I spent 15 hours a week or so watching Netflix or dicking around online, but I really would not have wanted to spend that time doing work instead, which I think is the point

agnes_bean
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby agnes_bean » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 am

theconsigliere wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
nubcs wrote:They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment

Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.


Eh?

I definitely played 15 hours a week or so of video games during 1L.


Im sure I spent 15 hours a week or so watching Netflix or dicking around online, but I really would not have wanted to spend that time doing work instead, which I think is the point


Yeah, I second theconsigliere. Unless you're approaching it in some crazy way, 1L isn't so intense that you don't have a spare 15-20 hours outside of law school work. But it is intense enough that you probably don't have 15-20 hours to spend on MORE classwork. Downtime is essential.

User avatar
Joscellin
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Joscellin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Fair enough. I just wanted to disabuse the notion that even 1L is necessarily *that* intense.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests