Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blacklace
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:43 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Blacklace » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:20 am

Can anyone shed some light on the Harvard JD / Cambridge LLM?

I'm curious about how selective it is on Harvard's end (they say they select up to 6 people to pass on to Cambridge, but how many people end up applying?), as well as how the joint degree is perceived by firms in the US.

It's a little difficult to find out much information about this online, so any insight you could share would be valuable.

Thanks!

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:51 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
schocolate wrote:Does anyone have advice or info about doing the Advocates and/or Mississippi Delta SPOs?


I did MDP as a 1L. They're a really friendly group and the time commitment is very manageable, maybe 15-20 hours per semester on average. I mainly did legislative and policy research for my team, and also got the chance to conduct some interviews with stakeholders—culminating in writing a section of the white paper our team was putting together for our NGO client. If you're at all interested in policy advocacy it's a great gig, but note that you won't get any litigation or transactional experience.

The substantive experience may differ a little bit based on which team you're on. Last year the four teams were: (1) economic development; (2) food policy; (3) child & youth; and (4) health initiative (for more description, see https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/deltaproject/). You get to preference the teams, but you may not get your first choice if there are too many people applying for the same team. That being said, I got my second choice and had a good time anyway.

EDIT: Also, many of my EIP interviewers were interested to hear about my experience with MDP. Of course, they're probably just as interested in any other SPO (or other interesting student org) experience, so don't force yourself to do something you're not that into just for the resume line. But it does help to have something to put on the resume line!


Yeah, this is almost certainly the case--not necessarily a reason for choosing 1 SPO over another or other student activities.

thegoat2019
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thegoat2019 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:58 am

Can any 2/3Ls give us advice on how to study for LegReg - in terms of what the test will look like, what do we really need to know? So far seems like the prof is assigning us loads of reading covering the same principles (canons/statutory interpretation)

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:39 am

thegoat2019 wrote:Can any 2/3Ls give us advice on how to study for LegReg - in terms of what the test will look like, what do we really need to know? So far seems like the prof is assigning us loads of reading covering the same principles (canons/statutory interpretation)

Find old exams here, and find outlines and exam answers here. You probably can find whatever you need at those two links.

Broadly speaking, Leg Reg discusses how to interpret statutes (canons of construction, the role of legislative history, what exactly construing the text means, etc.) and how administrative agencies function (appointment and removal of officers, rulemaking and adjudicatory processes, deference to agency interpretations, etc.). The relative emphasis varies a good deal by professor, so it's hard to answer your question any more specifically without knowing who your prof is, but the general idea is that you're looking at the rules applicable to court application of statutory (Leg) and administrative (Reg) law.

a22747568
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:05 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby a22747568 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:26 am

I would like to ask how can i do and structure my answers, the topic of this question is about contract law.
I am looking for some guidelines but not a full answer.
It's highly appreciated if u guys could help me a bit . :)

Question:
Tom and Peter are friends. On 11 May 2013, Peter wrote an email to Tom, “I heard that you are selling your car for $9000. I am interested in buying it, let me know if it is still available.” On 12 May 2013, Tom called Peter and left a voicemail for him - “Sure, provided you transfer the money to my bank account”. Tom then changed his mind and he posted a letter to Peter which read, “I am sorry, but I changed my mind and I can’t sell the car to you”. This letter arrived on 13 May 2013, before Peter checked his voicemail.

Answer the following questions:

1) Advise Tom and Peter as to their rights and obligations.


2) What difference, if any, would it make if:

a) Tom’s letter had never arrived?

b) Due to a problem with the mobile network on Peter’s phone, the voicemail left by Tom on 12 May 2013 was not recorded and Peter had no knowledge of the voicemail.

c) Instead of Peter sending an e-mail to Tom on 11 May 2013, on 10 May 2013, Tom had asked Peter if he wanted to buy his car?
Last edited by a22747568 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawlorbust
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawlorbust » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:19 pm

tomwatts wrote:
thegoat2019 wrote:Can any 2/3Ls give us advice on how to study for LegReg - in terms of what the test will look like, what do we really need to know? So far seems like the prof is assigning us loads of reading covering the same principles (canons/statutory interpretation)

Find old exams here, and find outlines and exam answers here. You probably can find whatever you need at those two links.

Broadly speaking, Leg Reg discusses how to interpret statutes (canons of construction, the role of legislative history, what exactly construing the text means, etc.) and how administrative agencies function (appointment and removal of officers, rulemaking and adjudicatory processes, deference to agency interpretations, etc.). The relative emphasis varies a good deal by professor, so it's hard to answer your question any more specifically without knowing who your prof is, but the general idea is that you're looking at the rules applicable to court application of statutory (Leg) and administrative (Reg) law.


There's enormous variance between leg reg sections (as with the other 1L classes). Taking it with Tushnet is a completely different experience than taking it with Vermeule, and so on.

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby robotrick » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:24 pm

a22747568 wrote:I would like to ask how can i do and structure my answers, the topic of this question is about contract law.
It's highly appreciated if u guys could help me a bit . :)

I see you've posted this in a few threads, so my answer will likely be redundant. Anyway, the standard CRAC structure should work. You can google it if it's unfamiliar.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby roranoa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:53 am

Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby heythatslife » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:02 pm

roranoa wrote:Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?

Oh, you'll hear some variation of "had an unemployable major from college, needed a job, didn't want to flip burgers" many times if you ask people for the honest reason they ended up in HLS.

User avatar
mollywood
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:43 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby mollywood » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:25 pm

roranoa wrote:Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?


I've met a pretty good mixture of both.

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:56 pm

mollywood wrote:
roranoa wrote:Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?


I've met a pretty good mixture of both.


Agreed.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby roranoa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:06 pm

mollywood wrote:
roranoa wrote:Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?


I've met a pretty good mixture of both.


Do you think the latter does less well in law school than those who have that passion for law?

HLSstudent
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby HLSstudent » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:18 pm

roranoa wrote:
mollywood wrote:
roranoa wrote:Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?


I've met a pretty good mixture of both.


Do you think the latter does less well in law school than those who have that passion for law?


Makes no difference, with the exception that the former type may be more likely to gun for grades/clerkships. If all you want is a firm job at a top firm, you don't need top grades.

As far as reasons go, the second one is perfectly valid. Though my circle is not representative, the majority of people I know wrote about the former on their PS but want the latter.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby roranoa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:03 am

HLSstudent wrote:
roranoa wrote:
mollywood wrote:
roranoa wrote:Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?


I've met a pretty good mixture of both.


Do you think the latter does less well in law school than those who have that passion for law?


Makes no difference, with the exception that the former type may be more likely to gun for grades/clerkships. If all you want is a firm job at a top firm, you don't need top grades.

As far as reasons go, the second one is perfectly valid. Though my circle is not representative, the majority of people I know wrote about the former on their PS but want the latter.


Here's what I'm really curious about. Do HLS students just openly talk about such discrepancies in what they wrote in their PS and what they really want? I have this image of HLS students trying to keep up the facade they made up for the admissions officers so they don't look shallow or light in the eyes of their classmates.

User avatar
Joscellin
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Joscellin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:43 am

roranoa wrote:
HLSstudent wrote:
roranoa wrote:
mollywood wrote:
roranoa wrote:Did all of you HLS ppl decided to go to law school because you really honestly wanted to be a lawyer for the sake of making an impact on the legal world or you were somehow fascinated by the subject like you wrote on your personal statements? Or did some of you actually just wanted to have a stable profession but didn't want to go to medical school?


I've met a pretty good mixture of both.


Do you think the latter does less well in law school than those who have that passion for law?


Makes no difference, with the exception that the former type may be more likely to gun for grades/clerkships. If all you want is a firm job at a top firm, you don't need top grades.

As far as reasons go, the second one is perfectly valid. Though my circle is not representative, the majority of people I know wrote about the former on their PS but want the latter.


Here's what I'm really curious about. Do HLS students just openly talk about such discrepancies in what they wrote in their PS and what they really want? I have this image of HLS students trying to keep up the facade they made up for the admissions officers so they don't look shallow or light in the eyes of their classmates.


I'm a transfer, so didn't see what 1Ls did, but my impression of 2L/3Ls is that we all are pretty realistic about our plans.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:57 am

Also, unless you actively try, you'll never see any of the admissions people once you get here for orientation.

Roughly 80% of HLS grads go into Biglaw. Almost none of them are going to change the world, nor do they want to. Even of the folks I know who have fancy/feeder clerkships, at least half talk about the law in terms of "learning a trade." And no one talks about their PS. It's kind of like LSAT score in that regard.

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Hildegard15 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:24 pm

roranoa wrote:
Here's what I'm really curious about. Do HLS students just openly talk about such discrepancies in what they wrote in their PS and what they really want? I have this image of HLS students trying to keep up the facade they made up for the admissions officers so they don't look shallow or light in the eyes of their classmates.


None of us talk about what we wrote in our PS statements because that would be weird. HLS students are normal people, I don't know why you would assume otherwise. None of our classmates are just waiting for people to show vulnerability so they can strike a fatal blow.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:28 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
Here's what I'm really curious about. Do HLS students just openly talk about such discrepancies in what they wrote in their PS and what they really want? I have this image of HLS students trying to keep up the facade they made up for the admissions officers so they don't look shallow or light in the eyes of their classmates.


None of us talk about what we wrote in our PS statements because that would be weird. HLS students are normal people, I don't know why you would assume otherwise. None of our classmates are just waiting for people to show vulnerability so they can strike a fatal blow.

Except for that one study group that required transcripts to get into their study group. Fuck those guys.

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:43 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
Here's what I'm really curious about. Do HLS students just openly talk about such discrepancies in what they wrote in their PS and what they really want? I have this image of HLS students trying to keep up the facade they made up for the admissions officers so they don't look shallow or light in the eyes of their classmates.


None of us talk about what we wrote in our PS statements because that would be weird. HLS students are normal people, I don't know why you would assume otherwise. None of our classmates are just waiting for people to show vulnerability so they can strike a fatal blow.

Except for that one study group that required transcripts to get into their study group. Fuck those guys.


Did that actually happen? Because I keep hearing rumors about it and it just doesn't make sense.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby roranoa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:53 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
Here's what I'm really curious about. Do HLS students just openly talk about such discrepancies in what they wrote in their PS and what they really want? I have this image of HLS students trying to keep up the facade they made up for the admissions officers so they don't look shallow or light in the eyes of their classmates.


None of us talk about what we wrote in our PS statements because that would be weird. HLS students are normal people, I don't know why you would assume otherwise. None of our classmates are just waiting for people to show vulnerability so they can strike a fatal blow.

Except for that one study group that required transcripts to get into their study group. Fuck those guys.


Transcripts? What kind of study group has that much prestige that it can make people want to join that?

User avatar
Joscellin
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Joscellin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:41 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
Here's what I'm really curious about. Do HLS students just openly talk about such discrepancies in what they wrote in their PS and what they really want? I have this image of HLS students trying to keep up the facade they made up for the admissions officers so they don't look shallow or light in the eyes of their classmates.


None of us talk about what we wrote in our PS statements because that would be weird. HLS students are normal people, I don't know why you would assume otherwise. None of our classmates are just waiting for people to show vulnerability so they can strike a fatal blow.

Except for that one study group that required transcripts to get into their study group. Fuck those guys.


Interesting development. That might beat the Wash U study group a few years back that tried to make all their people sign non-disclosure agreements.

User avatar
cdotson2
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby cdotson2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:48 pm

I also heard there is usually an ivy only study group each year.

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby zeglo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 pm

cdotson2 wrote:I also heard there is usually an ivy only study group each year.


That is so ridiculously pretentious. I would be angry at people doing that.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:07 am

If there are any AA HLS students who don't mind answering some questions could you PM me?

hirudexo
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hirudexo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:15 pm

A search of this thread about LRW grading tells me that you can get a DS in LRW. Should I still assume that is the case if my Climenko has written on the syllabus/assignments that class/assignment will be graded on the "standard HLS scale of honors, pass, low pass, fail"? Any clue why they don't mention DS? Also, does anyone know if DS's are given out on assignments (closed memo/open memo) or only for the final grade, e.g. could someone get an H on each memo and at the end of the semester get a DS in the class, or do you need to get a DS on at least one of the memos to have a shot? I understand it is possible that it varies by professor, and if so, any idea on what is most prevalent?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: asdfasdf8473 and 1 guest