Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
earthabides

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by earthabides » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:20 am

TripTrip wrote: FWIW, T-Mobile works great on cell phones that operate on LTE band 12 or don't use LTE at all (opting for 3G, or if you just turn off LTE). I have two GSM cell phones that I tried on the T-Mobile network and one gets terrible service everywhere around here (4G LTE, but only bands 2, 4, and 17 because it was an AT&T unlock) and the other gets fine service everywhere. Sprint is good too, but inside buildings (especially Gropius) actual cell service is pretty bad. It sounds nitpicky to be complaining about LTE bands, but to get the most out of T-Mobile you really need a phone that handles LTE band 12.
Could you elaborate on this? T-mobile looks to be by far the best plan for me but I'm worried about not getting reception in Gropius. According to this http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ if I have an IPhone 6S I should be good to go on T-Mobile?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:32 am

earthabides wrote:
TripTrip wrote: FWIW, T-Mobile works great on cell phones that operate on LTE band 12 or don't use LTE at all (opting for 3G, or if you just turn off LTE). I have two GSM cell phones that I tried on the T-Mobile network and one gets terrible service everywhere around here (4G LTE, but only bands 2, 4, and 17 because it was an AT&T unlock) and the other gets fine service everywhere. Sprint is good too, but inside buildings (especially Gropius) actual cell service is pretty bad. It sounds nitpicky to be complaining about LTE bands, but to get the most out of T-Mobile you really need a phone that handles LTE band 12.
Could you elaborate on this? T-mobile looks to be by far the best plan for me but I'm worried about not getting reception in Gropius. According to this http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ if I have an IPhone 6S I should be good to go on T-Mobile?
Yes. Both the non-China GSM iPhone 6S models work with all T-Mobile LTE bands. I think the main difference between A1633 and A1688 is that the A1633 supports some new band for AT&T and is unlocked for the oddball carriers.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:20 am

Is there anywhere on campus that's open to print/copy over the summer (specifically today)? Can't get anyone at the school on the line.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Indifference wrote:Is there anywhere on campus that's open to print/copy over the summer (specifically today)? Can't get anyone at the school on the line.
Sunday isn't a great day, but the library will be open tomorrow.

In the future, Staples handles email/web requests quickly and cheaply every day.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:13 pm

Does anyone know when waitlist processing will resume?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Does anyone know when waitlist processing will resume?
It should still be happening on an as-needed basis. If someone drops they'll fill the spot pretty quick, but there's no more regular waitlist processing.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:47 pm

TripTrip wrote:
It should still be happening on an as-needed basis. If someone drops they'll fill the spot pretty quick, but there's no more regular waitlist processing.
So I should take the fact that none of my waitlist positions have moved in the past ≈4 weeks as a sign that students just aren't paying attention to add/drop? And I can expect the pace to pick back up once everyone returns to campus?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
So I should take the fact that none of my waitlist positions have moved in the past ≈4 weeks as a sign that students just aren't paying attention to add/drop? And I can expect the pace to pick back up once everyone returns to campus?
Ah, oops. I thought I was in the c/o 2019 thread and thought you meant waitlist processing for new admits for some reason. Class waitlist processing has resumed on August 20th and 21st for the past two years.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:21 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Ah, oops. I thought I was in the c/o 2019 thread and thought you meant waitlist processing for new admits for some reason. Class waitlist processing has resumed on August 20th and 21st for the past two years.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I was so confused by your initial response.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I was so confused by your initial response.
I thought you were asking for a friend. I thought it was a weird question. Still not sure how I didn't make the leap back to classes. :roll:

thegoat2019

New

Post by thegoat2019 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:23 am

Incoming 1L here. What kind of commercial outlines and study aids would you recommend getting? I've read that Examples & Explanations are good, Emanuel's and Gilbert's are all good. Would you guys recommend me waiting until after class starts to buy these?

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 am

thegoat2019 wrote:Incoming 1L here. What kind of commercial outlines and study aids would you recommend getting? I've read that Examples & Explanations are good, Emanuel's and Gilbert's are all good. Would you guys recommend me waiting until after class starts to buy these?
Hard to say withoyt knowing who your professors are.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:05 pm

thegoat2019 wrote:Incoming 1L here. What kind of commercial outlines and study aids would you recommend getting? I've read that Examples & Explanations are good, Emanuel's and Gilbert's are all good. Would you guys recommend me waiting until after class starts to buy these?
You'll have plenty of time to do this once you have a schedule/start classes. Relax for now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thegoat2019

New

Post by thegoat2019 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 am

Do you recommend for incoming 1Ls to read any law school prep books in particular? Just finished reading law School Confidential, which didn't really teach me anything I hadn't heard yet. I heard Getting to Maybe is decent--is there anyone who's read it and thought it was useful? Any other book recommendations?

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:06 am

thegoat2019 wrote:Do you recommend for incoming 1Ls to read any law school prep books in particular? Just finished reading Law School Confidential, which didn't really teach me anything I hadn't heard yet. I heard Getting to Maybe is decent--is there anyone who's read it and thought it was useful? Any other book recommendations?
My take on this, though others may differ, is to do nothing but enjoy yourself and relax . You'll have plenty of time to worry about being a 1L when you're a 1L.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:32 am

Indifference wrote:
thegoat2019 wrote:Do you recommend for incoming 1Ls to read any law school prep books in particular? Just finished reading Law School Confidential, which didn't really teach me anything I hadn't heard yet. I heard Getting to Maybe is decent--is there anyone who's read it and thought it was useful? Any other book recommendations?
My take on this, though others may differ, is to do nothing but enjoy yourself and relax . You'll have plenty of time to worry about being a 1L when you're a 1L.
This, all the way. You may end up with a Goldsmith who will teach you everything you need to know about civ pro down to the detail and assign you a coursebook (not a casebook). Or you may end up with a Hanson where a book on torts will do you absolutely no good as he's a torts prof with no desire to teach or test you on torts.

So yeah, chill, stay up until 2am for the right reasons, take care of your personal affairs, document what life was like before law school changed you.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:19 am

The same day you get your section assignments, you'll get an email from me with required books for your section, class notes and outlines, and the recommended commercial supplements from students who took that class with that professor. No need to worry about that in advance; it will just show up in your inbox.

Fwiw, Getting to Maybe makes way more sense after you've completed the first couple weeks of law school, and it's written with that audience in mind anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Topszn

Bronze

Post by Topszn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:19 am

TripTrip wrote:The same day you get your section assignments, you'll get an email from me with required books for your section, class notes and outlines, and the recommended commercial supplements from students who took that class with that professor. No need to worry about that in advance; it will just show up in your inbox.

Fwiw, Getting to Maybe makes way more sense after you've completed the first couple weeks of law school, and it's written with that audience in mind anyway.
Don't suppose you've got a rough idea of when we get our section assignments, do you? Finding it hard to put faith in the 'mid-august' timeline provided given that 'Mid-July' meant August 2nd for Orientation schedules.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:56 am

Topszn wrote:
TripTrip wrote:The same day you get your section assignments, you'll get an email from me with required books for your section, class notes and outlines, and the recommended commercial supplements from students who took that class with that professor. No need to worry about that in advance; it will just show up in your inbox.

Don't suppose you've got a rough idea of when we get our section assignments, do you? Finding it hard to put faith in the 'mid-august' timeline provided given that 'Mid-July' meant August 2nd for Orientation schedules.
I'd be very surprised if it happened before the 10th or after the 17th, but I don't know the date they're shooting for this year.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Does anyone know what the odds are for getting in to the Kennedy school as a 1L? I've got a pretty weak resume in terms of work experience, but my LSAT+GPA gives me a good shot at HLS.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:43 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Does anyone know what the odds are for getting in to the Kennedy school as a 1L? I've got a pretty weak resume in terms of work experience, but my LSAT+GPA gives me a good shot at HLS.
Do you mean for a degree or to cross register?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:47 am

Except that a few weeks into law school you won't have the time. I think (not very strongly) that Getting to Maybe is decent prep material before law school, if you truly must do something.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:15 am

Indifference wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:Does anyone know what the odds are for getting in to the Kennedy school as a 1L? I've got a pretty weak resume in terms of work experience, but my LSAT+GPA gives me a good shot at HLS.
For a big ol' degree.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:00 pm

lawlorbust wrote:

Except that a few weeks into law school you won't have the time. I think (not very strongly) that Getting to Maybe is decent prep material before law school, if you truly must do something.
I did it before law school and meant to reread at some point but never had the time. Tbh its overrated imo. You'll pick up a lot of what gtm teaches just by being observant in class but if you must do something do gtm... It's not helpful to do much else

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:54 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:
Indifference wrote:
For a big ol' degree.
Bump

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”