Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thegoat2019

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thegoat2019 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:54 pm

One of the required items on the Admitted Student Checklist is to...

-Upload a photo for your Harvard University ID (where/when can we do this?)

- Log into HELIOS to update your contact and emergency information (is the HELIOS website currently down? I looked it up and I think we're supposed to use our jharvard.jd19 login credentials, but mine isn't working—help?)

Thank you!!!

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue May 24, 2016 9:46 pm

thegoat2019 wrote:One of the required items on the Admitted Student Checklist is to...

-Upload a photo for your Harvard University ID (where/when can we do this?)

- Log into HELIOS to update your contact and emergency information (is the HELIOS website currently down? I looked it up and I think we're supposed to use our jharvard.jd19 login credentials, but mine isn't working—help?)

Thank you!!!

Relax, they'll send you more info on this later in the summer. It's still very early.

NoLongerALurker

Postby NoLongerALurker » Wed May 25, 2016 12:15 am

Pneumonia wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Is it safe to schedule stuff the weekend after EIP? HLS website says callbacks don't start until Monday after but idk if that's accurate

Callbacks do not occur on weekends, if that's what you mean. However, they do start on Monday morning after the EIP week. So if you're doing one in another city, that means you may need/want to fly out of Boston on Sunday night. Depending on flight availability and where you're going, that flight could depart at practically anytime on Sunday (though the most likely times would be between 12:00 noon and 6:00pm, depending on where you're going).

EIP is very draining (and I like interviews, a lot), so even if your stuff is technically a logistical possibility, you should think hard about how you want to spend that weekend. Obviously this depends on what your event is though. Callbacks and travel are also a pain and pretty exhausting. Given the choice, I'd spend that weekend resting.

I had a Saturday callback, for what it's worth.

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Wed May 25, 2016 12:20 am

Pneumonia wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Is it safe to schedule stuff the weekend after EIP? HLS website says callbacks don't start until Monday after but idk if that's accurate

Callbacks do not occur on weekends, if that's what you mean. However, they do start on Monday morning after the EIP week. So if you're doing one in another city, that means you may need/want to fly out of Boston on Sunday night. Depending on flight availability and where you're going, that flight could depart at practically anytime on Sunday (though the most likely times would be between 12:00 noon and 6:00pm, depending on where you're going).

EIP is very draining (and I like interviews, a lot), so even if your stuff is technically a logistical possibility, you should think hard about how you want to spend that weekend. Obviously this depends on what your event is though. Callbacks and travel are also a pain and pretty exhausting. Given the choice, I'd spend that weekend resting.

For big firms you have considerable latitude on when to schedule your callbacks. I took a week off (maybe two) before knocking them out; no problemo. But with the caveat that I had a 1L SA so I didn't bother doing as many interviews.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 am

lawlorbust wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

For big firms you have considerable latitude on when to schedule your callbacks. I took a week off (maybe two) before knocking them out; no problemo. But with the caveat that I had a 1L SA so I didn't bother doing as many interviews.

That's an important caveat.

You should try to knock out your callbacks as soon as possible. The big firms are ultra competitive and won't hesitate to give offers to candidates they like which means that if you're late in the call back process you could be DOA and not even know it if they've met their quota. More likely is that they'll wait to give you an offer until they've heard back from the other candidates. No beueno.

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 am

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:That's an important caveat.

You should try to knock out your callbacks as soon as possible. The big firms are ultra competitive and won't hesitate to give offers to candidates they like which means that if you're late in the call back process you could be DOA and not even know it if they've met their quota. More likely is that they'll wait to give you an offer until they've heard back from the other candidates. No beueno.

I don't disagree with having your interviews earlier than later, but I've never seen credible evidence that firms work on a rolling admissions system similar to law schools, i.e. that your odds of an offer are better if you interview earlier. I guess I'm willing to be proven wrong on this, but I can't fathom that a few days or even up to a week would make any difference.

(As an aside, any big firm interviewing at HLS is per se not "ultra competitive.")

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed May 25, 2016 2:33 am

lawlorbust wrote:

I don't disagree with having your interviews earlier than later, but I've never seen credible evidence that firms work on a rolling admissions system similar to law schools, i.e. that your odds of an offer are better if you interview earlier. I guess I'm willing to be proven wrong on this, but I can't fathom that a few days or even up to a week would make any difference.

(As an aside, any big firm interviewing at HLS is per se not "ultra competitive.")

Rolling offers is definitely true. I don't know how quickly firms run out of offers, but at least some firms move super quick and give out their offers on a rolling basis until they run out

ETA: I don't know if it's true for all firms, but I know for a fact that it's true for some

nerd1

Postby nerd1 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:14 am

lawlorbust wrote:

Your last statement assumes at least median grades. Also, there are firms that are "ultra competitive" even for HLS students. W&C, Wachtell, Susman for example.

I would say what Single-Malt-Liquor said is truer. Big firms are competitive and slots are easily and quickly filled.

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 am

nerd1 wrote:Also, there are firms that are "ultra competitive" even for HLS students. W&C, Wachtell, Susman for example.

Yes, but these aren't big firms.

nerd1

Postby nerd1 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Any 2L still without grades from black letter courses?

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Thu May 26, 2016 9:04 pm

nerd1 wrote:Any 2L still without grades from black letter courses?

Yes. 2L / Rising 3L here.

Excerpt from email from Prof:

Grades of graduating students have been released; the others have not yet. After all of the grades have been released (next week, most likely), I will be sharing a memo about the exam papers and a sample answer.

nerd1

Postby nerd1 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:32 pm

codyoneill wrote:
nerd1 wrote:Any 2L still without grades from black letter courses?

Yes. 2L / Rising 3L here.

Excerpt from email from Prof:

Grades of graduating students have been released; the others have not yet. After all of the grades have been released (next week, most likely), I will be sharing a memo about the exam papers and a sample answer.

Thanks!

NoLongerALurker

Postby NoLongerALurker » Sat May 28, 2016 11:27 am

malleus discentium wrote:
Dukenukem21 wrote:Notable data point for future years: missed cum laude with a 3.61

Further data points from 3Ls would be very appreciated!

Friend of mine made cum laude with a 3.62.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat May 28, 2016 12:05 pm

Secured Transaction with Kaufman vs. Bankruptcy with Roe?

I'm a 3L going into commercial/appellate litigation, and I'm wondering which to take. Interested in which of these would be the most useful post-graduation. Good classroom environment and/or applicability to the bar are plusses.

Lfo166

Postby Lfo166 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Anyone know when the school informs the (2L) Sears winners?

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sat May 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Secured Transaction with Kaufman vs. Bankruptcy with Roe?

I'm a 3L going into commercial/appellate litigation, and I'm wondering which to take. Interested in which of these would be the most useful post-graduation. Good classroom environment and/or applicability to the bar are plusses.

"Commercial litigation" and "appellate litigation" seem to me to be two different focuses, although they obviously overlap. Unless you're interested in bankruptcy work, I have to imagine secured transactions would be more useful. And Kaufman is a good professor; he is entertaining and guides discussion very well. Bar applicability depends on whether your state tests on UCC-9/secured transactions.

No personal experience with Roe but have heard good things about him.

AnMzungu

Postby AnMzungu » Sun May 29, 2016 2:23 am

Take the money.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 am

wwwcol wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Secured Transaction with Kaufman vs. Bankruptcy with Roe?

"Commercial litigation" and "appellate litigation" seem to me to be two different focuses, although they obviously overlap. Unless you're interested in bankruptcy work, I have to imagine secured transactions would be more useful. And Kaufman is a good professor; he is entertaining and guides discussion very well. Bar applicability depends on whether your state tests on UCC-9/secured transactions.

No personal experience with Roe but have heard good things about him.

Re the bolded: LOLWHAT? Dude is by far the most boring professor I've taken. And I'm not even blaming the subject matter. Secured transactions is actually pretty easy and you could teach your self in a 4-7 days. Bankruptcy never hurts. It's gonna probs be on the bar and all corporate deals are made in the shadow of bankruptcy. So there's that.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 29, 2016 9:17 am

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Secured transactions is actually pretty easy and you could teach your self in a 4-7 days. Bankruptcy never hurts. It's gonna probs be on the bar and all corporate deals are made in the shadow of bankruptcy. So there's that.

Bankruptcy is not on any state bar that I can find, except tangentially on the Texas bar. Secured transactions is on a number of bar exams, including (off the top of my head) the MEE (26 jurisdictions) and Maryland.

Oskosh

Postby Oskosh » Sun May 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Sorry if it's already been asked, but what is orientation like? What activities do 1Ls participate in during the week?

Also, where can one find a comprehensive list of items that are due by a specific date? I only had the college certification form and final transcripts under my to do list, and now I have to gather all these documents before the deadline. :O

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun May 29, 2016 2:10 pm

tomwatts wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Secured transactions is actually pretty easy and you could teach your self in a 4-7 days. Bankruptcy never hurts. It's gonna probs be on the bar and all corporate deals are made in the shadow of bankruptcy. So there's that.

Bankruptcy is not on any state bar that I can find, except tangentially on the Texas bar. Secured transactions is on a number of bar exams, including (off the top of my head) the MEE (26 jurisdictions) and Maryland.

Fair. But if I could do it all over again I wouldn't not have spent two mornings a week in that clas for the first four weeks of the semester and then the last six after he emailed me to come to class.

And for the record, I'm a morning person.

foxes

Postby foxes » Sun May 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Oskosh wrote:Sorry if it's already been asked, but what is orientation like? What activities do 1Ls participate in during the week?

Also, where can one find a comprehensive list of items that are due by a specific date? I only had the college certification form and final transcripts under my to do list, and now I have to gather all these documents before the deadline. :O

Orientation is basically just socializing and going to talks.

Isn't there an admitted students checklist?

Oskosh

Postby Oskosh » Sun May 29, 2016 4:10 pm

foxes wrote:
Oskosh wrote:Sorry if it's already been asked, but what is orientation like? What activities do 1Ls participate in during the week?

There is! I completely overlooked everything Harvard Health Services (might be making the name up, but it sounds official enough to me) needs. Better get on that!

mono172000

Postby mono172000 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:21 pm

foxes wrote:

If I remember correctly there isn't a comprehensive checklist, at least not at this point in the summer. This was one of the most frustrating things to deal with last year. I remember contacting the admissions office around this time asking for a list of what needed to get done before arrival and being assured there was nothing more to do, only to get slammed with a bunch of health forms that needed to be turned around by mid summer. I think the issue is that these requirements are all coming from different offices (admissions, finaid, health, etc.), that are only nominally in conversation with each other. So no one office feels comfortable giving a definitive checklist. If youre going out of the country or something, the best advice I can give is to call multiple hls offices before you leave (not just admissions) and ask them if they'll need something from you over the summer. Or just don't worry about it and turn the forms in late. They're not going to kick you out because you didn't submit your ID picture on time.

Shosh233

Postby Shosh233 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:54 pm

Anyone know when Negotiation Workshop grades are released for non-3Ls or when 1L grades are released generally?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”