Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wwwcol

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wwwcol » Mon May 16, 2016 2:23 pm

in the process wrote:Question regarding political activity on one's resume and the impact it may have EIP.

I have a resume chock full of politically oriented jobs (on the Hill, at a think tank, with a presidential campaign, etc..) and am worried about how it'll affect EIP for me. Also affiliated with law school journals and campus groups that tend to be associated with one side of the political spectrum.

To narrow the question, these associations are all politically right of center. Nothing with perceived extremists like Trump or Cruz, though. More of the mainstream, palatable (I think) variety.

Not a whole lot on this in threads from previous years, and what is out there is inconsistent ("Never have anything politics on your resume, it'll kill you" to "Working for Senators and Presidential candidates can only increase your cache, and most won't hold party affiliation against you")

Anyone have any experience, personal or anecdotal?

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Lots of people have similar resumes (on both sides of the aisle) and it's not an issue at all, especially if you want to be in DC. Among DC firms, you might get some raised eyebrows in interviews if you go for left-leaning firms like Jenner or Wilmer, but even then your political affiliation won't hold you back if you're an otherwise good canfidate. And there are lots of firms that love HLS conservatives, eg Kirkland or Gibson. I assume you're in FedSoc- sometime before EIP, they'll distribute a guidebook with info about which firms tend to be conservative-friendly. Check that out for sure.

in the process

Postby in the process » Mon May 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Well, that's pretty comforting. Thanks!
I have heard elsewhere that it could be beneficial for D.C. firms, though I'll be looking primarily at NY firms....hope it carries.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Mon May 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Another EIP question. Have an unbreakable commitment on the last day of EIP. Chances that this will affect my ability to interview? Are some firms only available the last day?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon May 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Indifference wrote:Chances that this will affect my ability to interview? Are some firms only available the last day?

Basically, each firm is present for one day out of the week. So yes, some firms are available only on the last day. Thus, yes, this could affect your ability to interview.

I don't think the day on which firms show up is consistent from year to year or that there is any pattern to which firms show up on which days, but it could just be that these things exist and I don't know them.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 pm

tomwatts wrote:I don't think the day on which firms show up is consistent from year to year or that there is any pattern to which firms show up on which days, but it could just be that these things exist and I don't know them.

Hilariously, there is.

All firms want to be on Monday, so OCS rotates all the firms through the week year by year.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Mon May 16, 2016 10:06 pm

tomwatts wrote:
Indifference wrote:Chances that this will affect my ability to interview? Are some firms only available the last day?

Basically, each firm is present for one day out of the week. So yes, some firms are available only on the last day. Thus, yes, this could affect your ability to interview.

I don't think the day on which firms show up is consistent from year to year or that there is any pattern to which firms show up on which days, but it could just be that these things exist and I don't know them.

Thanks. That's a bummer.

buffy123

Postby buffy123 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Any advice on HUH off campus listings?

Have a selection date tomorrow and struggling to decide between a small studio in 5 cowperthwaite and a 1 br in haskins. Don't know the area at all and going completely off sample pictures has me nervous!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 am

buffy123 wrote:Any advice on HUH off campus listings?

Have a selection date tomorrow and struggling to decide between a small studio in 5 cowperthwaite and a 1 br in haskins. Don't know the area at all and going completely off sample pictures has me nervous!

I can't commend on Cowperthwaite, but I know someone who lived at Haskins and it was (and maybe still is) going through some continuous constructions projects ranging from completely redoing the entire brick facade (jack hammers, covered windows, etc.) as well as doing a lot of electrical work that requires apartment entry (changing to electric locks, redoing entryway lighting, etc.). Not sure if they are upfront about that, but I know that for 4 months last year my friend couldn't see anything out their windows because they were covered with tarp during the exterior repairs. Just figured I'd share. So if you're learning towards Haskins I'd check the lease riders to see if that stuff is still going on and if it will affect your specific apartment.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue May 17, 2016 11:08 am

If you can get Cowperthwaite, it's pretty nice. It is one of the newest properties on the roster currently.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed May 18, 2016 5:16 am

Coperthwate is very nice, I'd recommend it. It's quiet and the Riverside Grad. and Professional student community bases most of their events out of the common space there, which is convenient for social opportunities outside of the law school bubble. I would put a plug in for looking at similarly-priced unit in some of the smaller HUH properties, there usually is more square footage to compensate for being a smaller building and not having a building-wide common room or some of the other amenities (such as the gym at Akron).

buffy123

Postby buffy123 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 am

Has anyone lived in any of the buildings managed by CHR (john harvard apartments, chauncy court, wendell terrace)?? Looking at these as another option because all my first choices got taken.

slippin_jimmy

Postby slippin_jimmy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:12 am

0L here, thought I saw something about using the gym early but my searching abilities failed me.

I'm moving up to Cambridge in July-ish - anyone have experiences accessing the gyms early? As in, do we get access in summer before our first semester? Do I just need to have an ID number or similar, since I won't get an ID til orientation?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed May 18, 2016 11:12 am

slippin_jimmy wrote:0L here, thought I saw something about using the gym early but my searching abilities failed me.

I'm moving up to Cambridge in July-ish - anyone have experiences accessing the gyms early? As in, do we get access in summer before our first semester? Do I just need to have an ID number or similar, since I won't get an ID til orientation?

They might have changed it but when I moved up in June before my 1L year they charged like $50 or something like that for the gym until school started.

slippin_jimmy

Postby slippin_jimmy » Wed May 18, 2016 11:29 am

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:0L here, thought I saw something about using the gym early but my searching abilities failed me.

They might have changed it but when I moved up in June before my 1L year they charged like $50 or something like that for the gym until school started.

Good to know - I'll just look into it when I get there, unless anyone else chimes in. Thanks!

throwaway_

Postby throwaway_ » Wed May 18, 2016 11:34 am

buffy123 wrote:Has anyone lived in any of the buildings managed by CHR (john harvard apartments, chauncy court, wendell terrace)?? Looking at these as another option because all my first choices got taken.

Expensive but fantastic location and very good management responsiveness. I had no complaints.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Wed May 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Admin with Sunstein in the fall or wait it out and hope for Freeman off the waitlist in the spring? I'm 40th on that waitlist right now (started at like 45).

Lfo166

Postby Lfo166 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 pm

so...upper-level grades today?

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu May 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Lfo166 wrote:so...upper-level grades today?

I guess not?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu May 19, 2016 2:51 pm

If not today, probably tomorrow for 3Ls.

Other upper-level grades may come out at the same time or later, per the OP.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu May 19, 2016 3:49 pm

tomwatts wrote:If not today, probably tomorrow for 3Ls.

One of the DOS emails said the faculty meeting to "vote on conferring degrees" would happen by the end of this week. I assume they wouldn't vote without knowing whether everyone passed their classes/got enough credits (lol). So should be today or most likely tomorrow.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Thu May 19, 2016 4:39 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Lfo166 wrote:so...upper-level grades today?

I guess not?

Sad!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu May 19, 2016 6:22 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
tomwatts wrote:If not today, probably tomorrow for 3Ls.

One of the DOS emails said the faculty meeting to "vote on conferring degrees" would happen by the end of this week. I assume they wouldn't vote without knowing whether everyone passed their classes/got enough credits (lol). So should be today or most likely tomorrow.

And right on cue DOS sends an email that they fucked up the timing of grade release (or at least the implicit promise that grades would be out this week). God the HLS administrators are incompetent.

eleemosynary2

Postby eleemosynary2 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Did anyone else detect bureaucratic passive-aggression in that short, sweet little email?

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu May 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Did 2Ls get this email?

GoldenBoy57

Postby GoldenBoy57 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Did the email say when the registrar was going to fix them? Or are they just leaving us up in the air?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”