Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
t-14orbust

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby t-14orbust » Tue May 03, 2016 12:31 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
foxes wrote:...are sitkoff, suk, tushnet or blum known for giving LPs?

basically asking because im starting to get a little panicky haha

At least Sitkoff of those four gives LPs.

must be pretty hard to get one because I def deserved one in trusts and estates

earthabides

Postby earthabides » Tue May 03, 2016 12:38 pm

How long do you think it will take me to pick my room when my window opens on the 10th?

I'll be travelling and will likely only have access to my phone at the time but I should have data/wifi. Can I do it on my phone? Also, I'm just aiming for gropius so do I really need to hurry that much?

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue May 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Tushnet says he gives them, but from what I understand you'd have to be affirmatively wrong about just about everything in order to get one.

lol i am def in danger of one in his class :oops: :oops: :oops:
t-14orbust wrote:

thanks for the input guys

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue May 03, 2016 1:50 pm

earthabides wrote:How long do you think it will take me to pick my room when my window opens on the 10th?

I'll be travelling and will likely only have access to my phone at the time but I should have data/wifi. Can I do it on my phone? Also, I'm just aiming for gropius so do I really need to hurry that much?

gropius goes pretty quickly esp the desirable rooms, and idk how the housing site would perform on a phone. it doesnt take long though. it took me like 3 mins to decide on a room.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue May 03, 2016 2:07 pm

foxes wrote:
earthabides wrote:How long do you think it will take me to pick my room when my window opens on the 10th?

gropius goes pretty quickly esp the desirable rooms, and idk how the housing site would perform on a phone. it doesnt take long though. it took me like 3 mins to decide on a room.

I got a Gropius room on the first try even though I didn't get a housing window, but it was on a really shitty floor (no kitchen or lounge on the floor and the farthest from the bathroom on my floor that I could possibly be), which is probably why I hate Gropius so much. I recommend you get on there right when your window opens and maximize proximity to a bathroom/kitchen/lounge (in that order) in your strategic decisionmaking.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue May 03, 2016 2:10 pm

leslieknope wrote:
foxes wrote:

I got a Gropius room on the first try even though I didn't get a housing window, but it was on a really shitty floor (no kitchen or lounge on the floor and the farthest from the bathroom on my floor that I could possibly be), which is probably why I hate Gropius so much. I recommend you get on there right when your window opens and maximize proximity to a bathroom/kitchen/lounge (in that order) in your strategic decisionmaking.

Oh yeah, this for sure. Look at floor plans etc before your window to figure out a few floors that would work for you. Makes life easier and you won't just grab the first open spot.

mollywood

Postby mollywood » Tue May 03, 2016 2:56 pm

foxes wrote:
leslieknope wrote:
foxes wrote:

Oh yeah, this for sure. Look at floor plans etc before your window to figure out a few floors that would work for you. Makes life easier and you won't just grab the first open spot.

So should those of us with the last housing window just resign ourselves to a room in a completely inconvenient location, or is there any hope left? (I'm grateful just to be getting a dorm, but want to know what to expect.)

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue May 03, 2016 5:03 pm

mollywood wrote:So should those of us with the last housing window just resign ourselves to a room in a completely inconvenient location, or is there any hope left? (I'm grateful just to be getting a dorm, but want to know what to expect.)

Few locations in Gropius are completely inconvenient. The main thing to know is that there are locked doors between the buildings and the floors except between Holmes and Ames, so if you're on a floor with the wrong gender bathroom (or without a kitchen, or whatever) you're going to have to use keys to get wherever, which can be annoying. But if you're just down the hall, it's no big deal.

DaysToGo

Postby DaysToGo » Tue May 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Gropius is a pretty desirable location because of proximity and how cheap it is. Best plan of attack, pick several rooms, on several floors, in several halls that you would be willing to live. Then quickly go through each and find a room that you would like. If you're in one of the first few windows it shouldn't take you a long, but if you are the last few, your top choices might already be taken, and you may spend some time searching for something you'd like. The biggest problem I had was the website was slow to load, probably because of high activity.

If you are forced to choose between a kitchen or bathroom, pick the hall with the bathroom you need. It is awful to have to wake up in the midle of the night and go up and down several flights of stairs through a couple locked doors just to go to the bathroom.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Tue May 03, 2016 7:13 pm

DaysToGo wrote:

Gropius is a pretty desirable location because of proximity and how cheap it is. Best plan of attack, pick several rooms, on several floors, in several halls that you would be willing to live. Then quickly go through each and find a room that you would like. If you're in one of the first few windows it shouldn't take you a long, but if you are the last few, your top choices might already be taken, and you may spend some time searching for something you'd like. The biggest problem I had was the website was slow to load, probably because of high activity.

If you are forced to choose between a kitchen or bathroom, pick the hall with the bathroom you need. It is awful to have to wake up in the midle of the night and go up and down several flights of stairs through a couple locked doors just to go to the bathroom.

I did room selection for Groupius on my phone and had absolutely no problems (this was three years ago and I have no idea if the process/website has changed since). I did make a list of the rooms that I wanted in advance and highly recommend doing so generally - I had a middle/late block (I picked around 5pm) and got my first choice on a floor with bathroom/kitchen.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue May 03, 2016 8:56 pm

t-14orbust wrote:

I don't know if he is "known" for them, but Tushnet gives LPs.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Tue May 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

I don't know if he is "known" for them, but Tushnet gives LPs.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I think I had one professor "known for" giving LPs, and that, of course, was just passed down through word of mouth. The rest seemed to be in the camp of "I'd prefer not to give LPs, but I'll do it if someone deserves it." Again, that's just my experience through 2 years, and maybe it's not representative.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue May 03, 2016 11:39 pm

I've heard unsubstantiated claims that Suk LPs for crim. But then her exams are 8-hour take-homes with a word limit at 2000 so they're not designed to be stressful affairs.

earthabides

Postby earthabides » Wed May 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Thanks for the tips on room selection.

I've decided I'd be great with any room on Ames 1 & 2 other than the Type 6 rooms. Is that broad enough for being in the third window?

Theresa87

Postby Theresa87 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:30 am

I applied for a dorm and HUH apartment. I'm pretty sure I am going to do HUH because of a dog and SO. But SO may be getting a job soon out of state where he has to work 6 months before transferring. Family can take care of dog in the meantime. Is it possible to do dorm for first semester and HUH apartment for second semester? Either way, I won't really know soon which one is my best choice, and in that case, is it okay to select both a dorm and a HUH apartment and choose later? I have pretty early selection windows for both.

barley

Postby barley » Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 pm

0L here! How common it is to have to stay late at school for study groups/extracurriculars/etc? I'm generally a home studier, but if I have to stay late a lot that might affect where I decide to live..

Thank you!!

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Thu May 05, 2016 8:26 pm

barley wrote:0L here! How common it is to have to stay late at school for study groups/extracurriculars/etc? I'm generally a home studier, but if I have to stay late a lot that might affect where I decide to live..

Thank you!!

Not at all. It's what you make of it. I'm living south of campus in the riverside area (15 min walk) and it's no problem. I've got a friend who is downtown and she makes it work, it just requires a little bit of forethought to not leave lunch at home accidentally.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Thu May 05, 2016 8:28 pm

barley wrote:0L here! How common it is to have to stay late at school for study groups/extracurriculars/etc? I'm generally a home studier, but if I have to stay late a lot that might affect where I decide to live..

Thank you!!

I mean, none of those things are mandatory. That said, I've had late nights for journal and a few other things. On the whole I've only been on campus late when I choose to be, but I'm not one to go to firm receptions and parties and stuff though, so YMMV.

(1L here).

ETA: Also depends on what your definition of "late" is. Mine is anything past 5pm.

barley

Postby barley » Thu May 05, 2016 8:38 pm

antiworldly wrote:Not at all. It's what you make of it. I'm living south of campus in the riverside area (15 min walk) and it's no problem. I've got a friend who is downtown and she makes it work, it just requires a little bit of forethought to not leave lunch at home accidentally.

Indifference wrote:I mean, none of those things are mandatory. That said, I've had late nights for journal and a few other things. On the whole I've only been on campus late when I choose to be, but I'm not one to go to firm receptions and parties and stuff though, so YMMV.

(1L here).

ETA: Also depends on what your definition of "late" is. Mine is anything past 5pm.

Thank you both for your replies! Generally 7 PM is late for me :lol: so I'm glad to hear that it can be avoided!

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu May 05, 2016 10:27 pm

earthabides wrote:Thanks for the tips on room selection.

I've decided I'd be great with any room on Ames 1 & 2 other than the Type 6 rooms. Is that broad enough for being in the third window?

My best guess, based on vague recollections of having done this a few times, is yes.

Have they gone to having any gender-neutral bathrooms in the dorms? Because when I lived there, Ames 1 and 2 had different gender bathrooms, so they're not interchangeable (though I guess they both have lounges, and they're more interchangeable if you're indifferent to kitchen location).

Re late nights on campus: there are some free dinners for evening events if you're into that kind of thing, and LRW is sometimes late-ish (I think 5-7 usually). And there are evening seminars that you might take in second semester of 1L or in later years. So I liked being near enough to campus that I didn't have any trouble getting back and forth at all hours of the day, sometimes repeatedly, but it wasn't necessary.
Last edited by tomwatts on Fri May 06, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaysToGo

Postby DaysToGo » Thu May 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Theresa87 wrote:I applied for a dorm and HUH apartment. I'm pretty sure I am going to do HUH because of a dog and SO. But SO may be getting a job soon out of state where he has to work 6 months before transferring. Family can take care of dog in the meantime. Is it possible to do dorm for first semester and HUH apartment for second semester? Either way, I won't really know soon which one is my best choice, and in that case, is it okay to select both a dorm and a HUH apartment and choose later? I have pretty early selection windows for both.

I'm pretty sure the leases for dorms are 9 months unless you have an approved reason for leaving the lease early. Approved reasons are things like studying abroad.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Fri May 06, 2016 12:05 am

barley wrote:
antiworldly wrote:Not at all. It's what you make of it. I'm living south of campus in the riverside area (15 min walk) and it's no problem. I've got a friend who is downtown and she makes it work, it just requires a little bit of forethought to not leave lunch at home accidentally.

Indifference wrote:I mean, none of those things are mandatory. That said, I've had late nights for journal and a few other things. On the whole I've only been on campus late when I choose to be, but I'm not one to go to firm receptions and parties and stuff though, so YMMV.

(1L here).

Thank you both for your replies! Generally 7 PM is late for me :lol: so I'm glad to hear that it can be avoided!

The obvious exception to this that I forgot is LRW, which ran (at least for me) from 5-7. Dunno if that's a standard thing for everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Fri May 06, 2016 12:20 am

Indifference wrote:The obvious exception to this that I forgot is LRW, which ran (at least for me) from 5-7. Dunno if that's a standard thing for everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Yup, for the past several years LRW has been 3-5 in the fall and 5-7 in the spring. Will almost certainly be that way next year too.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:06 am

I was trying to get HUH housing but my window is not until 2 June. How boned am I?

HLSstudent

Postby HLSstudent » Fri May 06, 2016 1:48 am

Dcc617 wrote:I was trying to get HUH housing but my window is not until 2 June. How boned am I?

I had a similar window last year. There were a few good apartments still available (Terry Terrace & 29 Garden), though they were gone within minutes of the window opening. Also, keep an eye out on the currently available list. After the view and select window ends, some good apartments will show up there as people change their minds about their selection.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”