Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
polareagle

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby polareagle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:09 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
polareagle wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Anyone have experience applying at least twice to RA with the same prof? I applied to RA with this dude last semester and didn't get it (NBD, I was a first-semester 1L and I had never met the prof), and now he's hiring again. Do I need to re-write my cover letter? Seems hard to do, given that he's researching the exact same stuff this semester and I'm interested for the same reasons..

If this is Kaplow, don't do it. He's a nightmare to work for.

Spill the deets, please?

PMd

gamerish

Postby gamerish » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Regarding HUH units with more than one bedroom, does one student reserve the entire unit during their viewing window and is then responsible for renting out the other room(s) themselves? They list the multi-bedroom HUH units with the price for the whole unit/month rather than per bedroom (at least, on the Properties tab on the main HUH site), so that was the impression I got. Is that correct?

js1663

Postby js1663 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:15 am

Last edited by js1663 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:04 pm

tomwatts wrote:
sfoglia wrote:There must be someone who can confirm that this was or was not the case for them when they turned 29...

I mean, yes, my parent contribution did go to zero when I turned 29, and yes, this would have increased my grant money somewhat (except that, as suggested above, I earned a bunch over the summer and that cut into my grant money somewhat). The only reason I'm hesitating is that COA is so ridiculously high now that it's hard to believe that they still use grants to cover all need above the base loan. But that's certainly what they did when I attended, and I graduated last year.

Okay, that makes sense. I'm employed full-time through the summer, so I should have a pretty good estimation of how my aid should fall for the following two years. Thank you for explaining!

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Anyone here done the BLG job fair and have any thoughts on it? Or should someone interested in Boston just bid Boston at EIP?

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:46 pm

js1663 wrote:
gamerish wrote:Regarding HUH units with more than one bedroom, does one student reserve the entire unit during their viewing window and is then responsible for renting out the other room(s) themselves? They list the multi-bedroom HUH units with the price for the whole unit/month rather than per bedroom (at least, on the Properties tab on the main HUH site), so that was the impression I got. Is that correct?

Yes, you rent the entire unit, not the room. Once you have a lease-mate, you can add them to the lease, and each of you will be billed for half. But you remain responsible at all times for the entire lease.

And they have to be a Harvard affiliate - you're probably aware of that, but I know someone who wasn't, so I figured I'd share.

gamerish

Postby gamerish » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:00 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
js1663 wrote:
gamerish wrote:Regarding HUH units with more than one bedroom, does one student reserve the entire unit during their viewing window and is then responsible for renting out the other room(s) themselves? They list the multi-bedroom HUH units with the price for the whole unit/month rather than per bedroom (at least, on the Properties tab on the main HUH site), so that was the impression I got. Is that correct?

Yes, you rent the entire unit, not the room. Once you have a lease-mate, you can add them to the lease, and each of you will be billed for half. But you remain responsible at all times for the entire lease.

And they have to be a Harvard affiliate - you're probably aware of that, but I know someone who wasn't, so I figured I'd share.

Thank you!

crescentstars

Postby crescentstars » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:08 pm

Hey all - I know this is really premature (I'm a 0L), but I'd like to keep this on my radar in case I do pursue it: I'm curious if anyone here has done/is planning to do the Harvard-Boalt exchange during 3L? There are some professors/programs that I'm interested in at Berkeley, but I'd like to know more about the program re: how competitive it is, the possible drawbacks of not spending 3L on campus, and how favorably/unfavorably participation might be looked on by employers. Would appreciate any input!

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:18 pm

robotrick wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Anyone have experience applying at least twice to RA with the same prof? I applied to RA with this dude last semester and didn't get it (NBD, I was a first-semester 1L and I had never met the prof), and now he's hiring again. Do I need to re-write my cover letter? Seems hard to do, given that he's researching the exact same stuff this semester and I'm interested for the same reasons..

I applied a second time to the same prof (and got it the second time). I changed my statement of interest a tiny bit to make it stronger by mentioning other relevant classes, strengthened interest in the subject, etc. Spent like 10 minutes sprucing it up.

Ah, thanks!!

polareagle wrote:If this is Kaplow, don't do it. He's a nightmare to work for.

Welp. That's disappointing. Was hoping to do some antitrust. Could go for Elhauge instead I guess

merrick_garland

Postby merrick_garland » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:18 pm

What's the deal with storing stuff in Gropius over the summer (currently a 1L in the grop)

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:32 pm

merrick_garland wrote:What's the deal with storing stuff in Gropius over the summer (currently a 1L in the grop)

did you get the email a few days back? it seems pretty straightforward

Summer Storage
Current residents who will also be living in HLS On-Campus Housing next year are allowed to store items in the storage rooms during the 2016 summer. Space is limited and students must adhere to the following rules in order to use the summer storage:
· Each student is allowed a maximum of 3 items.

§ Personal items must be in boxes, suitcases, bins, or Tupperware tubs, with the exception of minifridges which do not have to be in a box but will count as one of your 3 items.
§ Students are not allowed to store furniture items or bicycles in the HLS storage rooms. Bicycles found in storage or left outside on HLS bicycle racks will be removed.
§ The largest item allowed is 19" x 21" x 32”
§ All items must fit on or under the storage room shelves and the aisle must remain clear to allow access to the storage room. ITEMS CANNOT BE PLACED IN THE AISLES OF THE STORAGE ROOMS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
§ Each of your three items must be labeled with the proper HLS Housing “Summer Storage 2016” storage sticker. Items with makeshift labels, signs or old summer labels will be discarded.
§ Stickers are procured from the Facilities Management office, Holmes Hall first floor.
§ There are brand new stickers for each summer, so you cannot use old storage stickers that you might already have on your items.
§ Each student will only be given 3 storage stickers, and will have to sign that they have received these stickers.
§ If a student loses their storage stickers, Facilities will not be able to provide new stickers.
§ Only students who live on campus for Spring 2016 AND have a room reservation for the upcoming Fall 2016 semester will be able to pick up storage labels.

merrick_garland

Postby merrick_garland » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:42 pm

foxes wrote:
merrick_garland wrote:What's the deal with storing stuff in Gropius over the summer (currently a 1L in the grop)

did you get the email a few days back? it seems pretty straightforward

Summer Storage
Current residents who will also be living in HLS On-Campus Housing next year are allowed to store items in the storage rooms during the 2016 summer. Space is limited and students must adhere to the following rules in order to use the summer storage:
· Each student is allowed a maximum of 3 items.

§ Personal items must be in boxes, suitcases, bins, or Tupperware tubs, with the exception of minifridges which do not have to be in a box but will count as one of your 3 items.
§ Students are not allowed to store furniture items or bicycles in the HLS storage rooms. Bicycles found in storage or left outside on HLS bicycle racks will be removed.
§ The largest item allowed is 19" x 21" x 32”
§ All items must fit on or under the storage room shelves and the aisle must remain clear to allow access to the storage room. ITEMS CANNOT BE PLACED IN THE AISLES OF THE STORAGE ROOMS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
§ Each of your three items must be labeled with the proper HLS Housing “Summer Storage 2016” storage sticker. Items with makeshift labels, signs or old summer labels will be discarded.
§ Stickers are procured from the Facilities Management office, Holmes Hall first floor.
§ There are brand new stickers for each summer, so you cannot use old storage stickers that you might already have on your items.
§ Each student will only be given 3 storage stickers, and will have to sign that they have received these stickers.
§ If a student loses their storage stickers, Facilities will not be able to provide new stickers.
§ Only students who live on campus for Spring 2016 AND have a room reservation for the upcoming Fall 2016 semester will be able to pick up storage labels.

Must've missed it; thanks

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:37 pm

crescentstars wrote:Hey all - I know this is really premature (I'm a 0L), but I'd like to keep this on my radar in case I do pursue it: I'm curious if anyone here has done/is planning to do the Harvard-Boalt exchange during 3L? There are some professors/programs that I'm interested in at Berkeley, but I'd like to know more about the program re: how competitive it is, the possible drawbacks of not spending 3L on campus, and how favorably/unfavorably participation might be looked on by employers. Would appreciate any input!

I knew two people who did it, but I can't speak from personal experience. It's not competitive as far as I know — not many want to do it — and I don't think employers care. It would be easier to do SF-area interviews, though, if you're looking for non-biglaw in the Bay Area. You may not be able to do certain activities (notably, I think, a journal) if you're gone during 3L, but that's about it.

The two people I knew who did it did 2L summer in the Bay Area and didn't want to go back to Cambridge. If you have a more real reason to go, then all the better.

crescentstars

Postby crescentstars » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:38 pm

tomwatts wrote:
crescentstars wrote:Hey all - I know this is really premature (I'm a 0L), but I'd like to keep this on my radar in case I do pursue it: I'm curious if anyone here has done/is planning to do the Harvard-Boalt exchange during 3L? There are some professors/programs that I'm interested in at Berkeley, but I'd like to know more about the program re: how competitive it is, the possible drawbacks of not spending 3L on campus, and how favorably/unfavorably participation might be looked on by employers. Would appreciate any input!

I knew two people who did it, but I can't speak from personal experience. It's not competitive as far as I know — not many want to do it — and I don't think employers care. It would be easier to do SF-area interviews, though, if you're looking for non-biglaw in the Bay Area. You may not be able to do certain activities (notably, I think, a journal) if you're gone during 3L, but that's about it.

The two people I knew who did it did 2L summer in the Bay Area and didn't want to go back to Cambridge. If you have a more real reason to go, then all the better.

Glad to hear that doing the program at least doesn't show up as a black mark on your transcript/resume. I didn't think about the potential conflict with journals - I'll look into it more once I actually start, but that's good to keep in mind. Thanks for this!

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:54 pm

tomwatts wrote:

Other than the two-year commitments (HLR, HLAB, BSA), you can basically do anything your 2L year and just not continue with it your 3L year.

mdnyc

Postby mdnyc » Mon May 02, 2016 5:55 pm

0L here. Basic question: what productivity programs do you find yourselves using the most? Word, Google Docs, Powerpoint, (longshot) Excel?

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon May 02, 2016 6:24 pm

mdnyc wrote:0L here. Basic question: what productivity programs do you find yourselves using the most? Word, Google Docs, Powerpoint, (longshot) Excel?

Depends on the class. I've used all of those. Word mostly for class notes, GDocs mostly for group projects, powerpoint for presentations, and excel for a few miscellaneous tasks and a financial modeling class

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 02, 2016 7:25 pm

I easily use Word the most, but I've used all the others too.

foxes

Postby foxes » Mon May 02, 2016 10:49 pm

...are sitkoff, suk, tushnet or blum known for giving LPs?

basically asking because im starting to get a little panicky haha
Last edited by foxes on Mon May 02, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Mon May 02, 2016 10:54 pm

mdnyc wrote:0L here. Basic question: what productivity programs do you find yourselves using the most? Word, Google Docs, Powerpoint, (longshot) Excel?

I like OneNote a lot and use it for all my classes that allow computers

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 am

None of my 1L classes allowed laptops

HLSstudent

Postby HLSstudent » Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:

None of my 1L classes allowed laptops

Varies by section. Only one of my 1L classes prohibited laptops (including LRW and electives).

To answer the original question, I use Word or OneNote for all classes.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Tue May 03, 2016 2:13 am

foxes wrote:...are sitkoff, suk, tushnet or blum known for giving LPs?

At least Sitkoff of those four gives LPs.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue May 03, 2016 12:14 pm

[+] Spoiler
malleus discentium wrote:
foxes wrote:...are sitkoff, suk, tushnet or blum known for giving LPs?

At least Sitkoff of those four gives LPs.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

anyone know anything about the other 3?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue May 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Tushnet says he gives them, but from what I understand you'd have to be affirmatively wrong about just about everything in order to get one.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”