Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PMan99

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby PMan99 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:36 am

foxes wrote:Has anyone taken Naz Modirzadeh for International Humanitarian Law/Laws of War? Interested in the topic but there isn't a lot of info about the prof besides 2 short Dope ratings.

eta: also i hear so many conflicting opinions about the corp profs. does anyone have a fav? I believe the options are coates, ramseyer, kraakman, clark, subramanian and spamann. i dont have any background in this sort of course so i'd prefer someone clear and easy to understand. tyia

It's hard because any one person can only take a few of these profs.

I liked Clark. His corporations class is a very standard black letter law focused class, I think you're on call twice all semester, but there's no surprises. If you're good at just gleaning the relevant holding from the case and spamming words for an issue spotter on a test, this will be a good chance at an H and it's pretty easy without even needing to go to class much or at all.

Goldie

Postby Goldie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Stay away from Kraakman. He's very nice, but so hard to follow. He also was in the middle of a textbook revision and would give us these badly edited partially complete "updated chapters" that were more confusing than helpful. His exam was really weird too.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:29 pm

thanks for the input guys!

anon1928

Postby anon1928 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Is there any value to a DS as opposed to an H at EIP?
Example: for first term 1L grades is there any difference between like 4Hs vs. 2DS 2H?
If there is any difference, can you put an approximate value to that? 1DS = 1.2H or something? (1.2 is entirely hypothetical - I have no idea)

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:00 pm

anon1928 wrote:Is there any value to a DS as opposed to an H at EIP?
Example: for first term 1L grades is there any difference between like 4Hs vs. 2DS 2H?
If there is any difference, can you put an approximate value to that? 1DS = 1.2H or something? (1.2 is entirely hypothetical - I have no idea)

For your GPA:
DS = 5.0
H = 4.0
P = 3.0
L = 2.0
F = 0.0

So it makes a big difference in your GPA. As far as EIP goes, Trip might be able to give you some statistical analysis of people's results in relation to their grades, but DS definitely does have an impact (especially at extremely selective firms)

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:18 pm

When do we get brief grades or Ames feedback? Do we get it ever?

anon1928

Postby anon1928 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:

For your GPA:
DS = 5.0
H = 4.0
P = 3.0
L = 2.0
F = 0.0

So it makes a big difference in your GPA. As far as EIP goes, Trip might be able to give you some statistical analysis of people's results in relation to their grades, but DS definitely does have an impact (especially at extremely selective firms)

Thanks so much for your response. I am aware of its big impact on latin honors however I'm wondering how that translates to how firms will perceive a transcript during EIP. I would really appreciate if someone could address that part, thank you :)

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:50 pm

leslieknope wrote:When do we get brief grades or Ames feedback? Do we get it ever?

Personal Experience: Never got a brief grade or even feedback on it, asked for both, and was essentially told "I don't assign grades for the brief individually - your class grade is your brief grade." As for Ames, I got feedback the night-of, and then nothing after that.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:59 pm

leslieknope wrote:When do we get brief grades or Ames feedback? Do we get it ever?

Both are at the discretion of your Climenko, but in neither case are you at all likely to get it before you get your spring grades.

The Ames judges do fill out individual comments about your performance on a sheet of paper (it also has a rudimentary scoring rubric). For the most part, it's the same as what they tell you the night of, but there may sometimes be more information. Again, I believe you get this from your Climenko. But you have to seek it out. I think the vast majority of people don't ever bother.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:01 pm

anon1928 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:

For your GPA:
DS = 5.0
H = 4.0
P = 3.0
L = 2.0
F = 0.0

Thanks so much for your response. I am aware of its big impact on latin honors however I'm wondering how that translates to how firms will perceive a transcript during EIP. I would really appreciate if someone could address that part, thank you :)

There is definitely a difference between 2DS and 2H vs. 4H. The DSes do look good. The more interesting question is between 2P + 2DS vs. 4H. Those are equivalent in latin honors terms, but I'd much rather have (and I think firms would probably rather see) 4H as it shows more consistency.

anon1928

Postby anon1928 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:19 am

polareagle wrote:
anon1928 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:

For your GPA:
DS = 5.0
H = 4.0
P = 3.0
L = 2.0
F = 0.0

There is definitely a difference between 2DS and 2H vs. 4H. The DSes do look good. The more interesting question is between 2P + 2DS vs. 4H. Those are equivalent in latin honors terms, but I'd much rather have (and I think firms would probably rather see) 4H as it shows more consistency.

Do you think a DS is worth 1.25Hs then (DS=5/H=4)? If you wanted to put a number of how a firm views a DS in relation to H, what number would you choose? Thanks for your insight.
Edit: To clarify on the specificity of this question, it is relevant for the purposes of OCS' bidding/firm selectivity chart where they sort how-to-bid based on number of Hs.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:28 am

anon1928 wrote:
polareagle wrote:
anon1928 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:

For your GPA:
DS = 5.0
H = 4.0
P = 3.0
L = 2.0
F = 0.0

Do you think a DS is worth 1.25Hs then (DS=5/H=4)? If you wanted to put a number of how a firm views a DS in relation to H, what number would you choose? Thanks for your insight.
Edit: To clarify on the specificity of this question, it is relevant for the purposes of OCS' bidding/firm selectivity chart where they sort how-to-bid based on number of Hs.

Given the reason for your question, the right answer is to speak to OCS. It can be as quick as just popping in, seeing who's not in a meeting, and saying "hey, can I ask you a quick question? I'm setting out my bids for EIP and I'm trying to figure out how my 2 DSs fit into your guidelines regarding the selectivity of firms that I should bid."

cantorb

Postby cantorb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 am

anon1928 wrote:
polareagle wrote:
anon1928 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:

For your GPA:
DS = 5.0
H = 4.0
P = 3.0
L = 2.0
F = 0.0

I'm a 0L, but upperclassmen have told me that firms view DS as essentially a double H. LPs are very rare, so H is 1 grade above the generic P, while a DS is 2 above. I would guess that polar eagle is correct that the consistency of 4 Hs is better than 2 P 2 DS though. I'm only a 0L relying on others' opinion, so I may be wrong on all of this.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Just a word of advice: It is a waste of thought to go down the, "How much better is a DS than an H?" rabbit hole.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:34 pm

A DS counts as approximately 1.71 Hs. (Not joking; that's the actual statistical approximation. PM for Stata regression output.)

It depends more on what firm you're talking about and who is calculating your grade score. If it's an HLS alumni who lived under the DS system you'll probably get the 2x boost. Otherwise who knows. Either way there are a lot more important things than calculating your effective GPA to within 0.7. That particular chart is not granular enough to be adding or subtracting decimals.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:39 pm

If any 0Ls or current dorm students have snagged a Terry Terrace apartment for this upcoming year and you're looking for furniture, let me know. I have furniture that fits a TT studio perfectly and I'm trying to sell everything for cheap (expandable desk, TV, small bookshelf, router, small couch, coffee table, bed, mattress...).

mollywood

Postby mollywood » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Do summer internship, job or clerkship interviews frequently require traveling at your own expense, and if so should I plan for any of that during 1L or 1L summer? Or does that all happen in 2L? I'm trying to set up a budget and don't want to ignore any major expenses.

flyingboy

Postby flyingboy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:05 pm

mollywood wrote:Do summer internship, job or clerkship interviews frequently require traveling at your own expense, and if so should I plan for any of that during 1L or 1L summer? Or does that all happen in 2L? I'm trying to set up a budget and don't want to ignore any major expenses.

For callbacks following EIP, all of your expenses will be reimbursed by your host firm, which covers transportation and a per diem. There's a form that you need to fill out and submit to the contact person of the host firm. This applies to all the big firms. Not sure if this applies to all of the smaller firms, but I assume they would reimburse at least some expenses.

For clerkships, I believe you have to pay for everything on your own.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 pm

flyingboy wrote:
mollywood wrote:Do summer internship, job or clerkship interviews frequently require traveling at your own expense, and if so should I plan for any of that during 1L or 1L summer? Or does that all happen in 2L? I'm trying to set up a budget and don't want to ignore any major expenses.

For callbacks following EIP, all of your expenses will be reimbursed by your host firm, which covers transportation and a per diem. There's a form that you need to fill out and submit to the contact person of the host firm. This applies to all the big firms. Not sure if this applies to all of the smaller firms, but I assume they would reimburse at least some expenses.

For clerkships, I believe you have to pay for everything on your own.

SFS now offers a LIPP eligible loan for clerkship expenses, too. I think the max is $1,200/yr. This is a great development and the student who's responsible for it is really wonderful.

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 pm

For 1l, you're either going to be interviewing at a firm in which case you'll be reimbursed, or you'll be interviewing with a pi place, in which case it'll be a call or Skype if it's not local.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:23 pm

foxes wrote:For 1l, you're either going to be interviewing at a firm in which case you'll be reimbursed, or you'll be interviewing with a pi place, in which case it'll be a call or Skype if it's not local.

That's not true. I had to go to NY to interview with some PI places for 1L summer. (And, even though some of my fellow Californians might disagree, I do not think that NY is "local" relative to Boston.)

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:28 pm

tomwatts wrote:
foxes wrote:For 1l, you're either going to be interviewing at a firm in which case you'll be reimbursed, or you'll be interviewing with a pi place, in which case it'll be a call or Skype if it's not local.

That's not true. I had to go to NY to interview with some PI places for 1L summer. (And, even though some of my fellow Californians might disagree, I do not think that NY is "local" relative to Boston.)

Just agreeing with this, for PI it's not categorically call/Skype for interviews. I've been fortunate enough to have all of mine be distance interviews (since they were literally thousands of miles away), but I know more than a handful of people who've had to go to NY, or further, for a PI interview.

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Just agreeing with this, for PI it's not categorically call/Skype for interviews. I've been fortunate enough to have all of mine be distance interviews (since they were literally thousands of miles away), but I know more than a handful of people who've had to go to NY, or further, for a PI interview.

yikes, sorry if i mislead anyone then. i didnt know pi places were asking 1ls to travel to nyc on their own dime :shock: i only had skype/calls even for orgs in nearby cities.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:20 pm

foxes wrote:yikes, sorry if i mislead anyone then. i didnt know pi places were asking 1ls to travel to nyc on their own dime :shock: i only had skype/calls even for orgs in nearby cities.

I think its the norm to do distance interviews, at least in my circle it was, but a few of the PI orgs want you to spend dem' monies you don't have. Heck, OPIA probably even has an idea as to which orgs these are, if someone was considering that aspect of it.

Pullman

Postby Pullman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:00 pm

3L here. Anyone have any updated information on what the cum laude and magna cum laude cutoffs were last year? Trying to get a sense of what to expect this year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”