Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robotrick

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby robotrick » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:41 pm

leslieknope wrote:What's realistic to pay for a 2br? I'm willing to live up to a mile away from campus- is 2400-2500 about what I should expect to pay?

I would say yes, and you could probably find slightly cheaper especially if you actually do go a mile away.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:30 am

For anyone here who has taken or otherwise knows about CJI - do you know how much work the class component is in addition to the clinic component? I trying to decide when to take fed courts and whether it would be better not to do both at the same time...

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Also - to clarify - do you get a #1 bid per clinic/multi-section/seminar? Or if I bid a clinic #1, do I no longer have a #1 bid for multi-section?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Also - to clarify - do you get a #1 bid per clinic/multi-section/seminar? Or if I bid a clinic #1, do I no longer have a #1 bid for multi-section?

The bidding process begins anew for each round. So it is the former.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:20 pm

heythatslife wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Also - to clarify - do you get a #1 bid per clinic/multi-section/seminar? Or if I bid a clinic #1, do I no longer have a #1 bid for multi-section?

Thanks! And since that one was answered so quickly - would it be a waste to bid Feldman 1st Amendment not 1st or 2nd?

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:41 pm

Prospective student here. I'm focused on PI and expecting to need significant loans even after need-based aid.

Question: Is LIPP as great as it seems? Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of? From the little I've read on Harvard's site, it seems too good to be true. What are the less obvious pros and cons of financing an HLS education with loans and then entering PI and using LIPP?

despina

Postby despina » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:07 am

robotrick wrote:For anyone here who has taken or otherwise knows about CJI - do you know how much work the class component is in addition to the clinic component? I trying to decide when to take fed courts and whether it would be better not to do both at the same time...

The class itself doesn't have much work beyond reading and a final exam. The class is in the fall but you can be winter/spring for the clinic, so they're not necessarily at the same time. If they are at the same time, then you only have a few more credits (three of which you'll need to spend on TAW if you didn't take it 2L).

RZ5646 wrote:Question: Is LIPP as great as it seems? Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of? From the little I've read on Harvard's site, it seems too good to be true. What are the less obvious pros and cons of financing an HLS education with loans and then entering PI and using LIPP?

LIPP is great for keeping you out of poverty. It starts to punish you pretty quickly as you try to climb. Compared to most other schools, it covers more (e.g. for-profit but lower-paying law jobs; any government or nonprofit job even if not law-related). You can start or stop the program at any time (no obligation to "pay pack" if you leave public interest work).

Things to watch out for:
limited time off for things like job transitions, travel, or family;
once you're over $52k you have to turn over 40% of any raise toward your loans;
if your partner makes a lot more money or has a lot more assets you have to pay way more;
buying / owning a home can be tricky;
limited coverage for non HLS debt such as joint degree or undergrad debt;
salary scale isn't way out of line, but peer schools start at $50k.

Think about different scenarios you could see yourself in, one year, three years, seven years out, and research realistically what salary you could expect to earn and how much of that you would need to keep. Run those scenarios for every combination of debt / loan forgiveness, and balance any differences against prospective job outcomes.
Last edited by despina on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:09 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:
heythatslife wrote:

Thanks! And since that one was answered so quickly - would it be a waste to bid Feldman 1st Amendment not 1st or 2nd?

This year, I would bet you could get in--if not right away, then from the waitlist--at a #3 bid

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:17 am

despina wrote:The class itself doesn't have much work beyond reading and a final exam. The class is in the fall but you can be winter/spring for the clinic, so they're not necessarily at the same time. If they are at the same time, then you only have a few more credits (three of which you'll need to spend on TAW if you didn't take it 2L).

Thanks for the info! So in the fall I'm doing TAW and both pieces of CJI, and ideally that would be my whole semester. I'm just not too keen on taking fed courts with Manning in the spring (the only spring section)... :?

despina

Postby despina » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:23 am

robotrick wrote:
despina wrote:The class itself doesn't have much work beyond reading and a final exam. The class is in the fall but you can be winter/spring for the clinic, so they're not necessarily at the same time. If they are at the same time, then you only have a few more credits (three of which you'll need to spend on TAW if you didn't take it 2L).

Thanks for the info! So in the fall I'm doing TAW and both pieces of CJI, and ideally that would be my whole semester. I'm just not too keen on taking fed courts with Manning in the spring (the only spring section)... :?

I'm not sure how the new clinical credit hour system works, but at least last year, TAW = 3, CJI seminar = 2, fall CJI clinic = 4, so that's a 9-credit semester. That plus fedcourts is 13 credits, which isn't totally insane, but it would be intense. I know several folks who did it last year -- it's definitely doable. Just like for any other class you take, you'll just have to accept the fact that your clinic work is going to take precedence, because you need to be 100% prepared for court 100% of the time for your clients' sake, whereas it affects no one but yourself if you have a bad coldcall in a blackletter class.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:15 am

just curious, what's TAW and CJI?

eta: im a bit confused about this whole year preferencing...should we put our first choice for spring pretty far up the list, above some choices for fall? or should we do 1-6 fall class then 7-12 spring classes?

despina

Postby despina » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:27 am

foxes wrote:just curious, what's TAW and CJI?

Trial Advocacy Workshop -- a three-week intensive course taught by amazing trial lawyers from all over the country, where you learn and practice actual trial skills. Offered in J term and the first three weeks of the fall semester. Must take evidence before (best) or concurrently (not so great, but allowed). TAW is a prerequisite for CJI, so if you plan to do CJI, the latest possible TAW for you is fall of 3L, and you should take Evidence as a 2L.

Criminal Justice Institute - the public defense clinic. You take appointed cases for indigent defendants in state criminal court, start to finish. Only open to 3Ls. The seminar is 2 credits and is in the fall. The clinic for most students is fall-winter (used to be 4 credits fall and 2 credits J term, though I don't know how the new clinical credit system works). There are a smaller number of spots available for winter-spring students (take the fall seminar with everyone else, but start case work in January, 2 credits January and 5 credits spring). A lot of fall-winter students carry over to the spring, for credit or otherwise.

eta: im a bit confused about this whole year preferencing...should we put our first choice for spring pretty far up the list, above some choices for fall? or should we do 1-6 fall class then 7-12 spring classes?

Doing it that way would not make sense. Your first choice for the whole year goes first. Your second choice for the whole year goes second.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 am

thanks for the quick reply!

LaziestPeople

Postby LaziestPeople » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:38 am

How high do you need to rank Whiting or Schulman for evidence?

mellykegan

Postby mellykegan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:41 am

Second semester 2L here. I didn't do so hot my 1L year and I'm trying to make up for that.

Which professors are the easiest graders? I know Randall Kennedy gives out Hs like candy, and his classes are pretty easy. Same with Diane Rosenfeld. Any other professors who are most likely to give out those coveted Hs? Particularly interested w/r/t these multi-section rounds

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:48 am

mellykegan wrote:Second semester 2L here. I didn't do so hot my 1L year and I'm trying to make up for that.

Which professors are the easiest graders? I know Randall Kennedy gives out Hs like candy, and his classes are pretty easy. Same with Diane Rosenfeld. Any other professors who are most likely to give out those coveted Hs? Particularly interested w/r/t these multi-section rounds

I think all the MSRs are graded on the curve. Pick a clinic and grind it?

But really don't do this. It's not going to help with jobs, PI or non-PI, and will have a marginal impact at best on clerkships. Seems like a waste of law school to maximize for 2L and 3L Hs.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 am

LaziestPeople wrote:How high do you need to rank Whiting or Schulman for evidence?

Based on last year, lower than #2 is a long shot.

mellykegan wrote:Second semester 2L here. I didn't do so hot my 1L year and I'm trying to make up for that.

Putting aside the reduced importance of 3L grades, I don't think you'll find any "easy Hs" in the multi-section round. You might have better luck in the elective round, though I still don't think there are many. HLSDope used to have an "easy H" denotation on same classes based on student feedback. You could try looking there.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:54 am

Is Warren for Tax gettable at a #2 or #3 preference? What about TAW?

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:07 pm

leslieknope wrote:Is Warren for Tax gettable at a #2 or #3 preference? What about TAW?

IMO, Warren Tax is one of the few courses you MUST pref at #1 (vs. Klarman moving a lot this year).

But this is anecdotal only, happy to hear if anyone feels otherwise.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:13 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
leslieknope wrote:Is Warren for Tax gettable at a #2 or #3 preference? What about TAW?

IMO, Warren Tax is one of the few courses you MUST pref at #1 (vs. Klarman moving a lot this year).

But this is anecdotal only, happy to hear if anyone feels otherwise.

I prefed Warren 2nd and got it.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Singer, Grossi

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:35 pm

I was told TAW is one you need to rank #1, especially if you're ranking it for J term. Obviously no experience with this firsthand, though.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Haven taken Shay for income tax and Warren for corporate tax I think Shay is better.

There. I said it.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Any chance getting Admin with Freeman at 3 or below?

On a broader note, I can't see myself filling my preferences up (given the combination of what I want to take, and who is offering those courses). Ok to do that and fill up with electives? Or am I running the risk of being screwed somehow?

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Indifference wrote:On a broader note, I can't see myself filling my preferences up (given the combination of what I want to take, and who is offering those courses). Ok to do that and fill up with electives? Or am I running the risk of being screwed somehow?

I did exactly this last year and did completely fine, ended up with my ideal schedule and only had to ride one waitlist. It's obviously context specific, my classes are not your classes etc., but bidding light on multi-section and filling the gap with electives worked well for me [though for purposes of full disclosure I was also doing a clinic, which helped fill credits].

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”