Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby robotrick » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:05 pm

nerd1 wrote:
robotrick wrote:
tomwatts wrote:I think this leads to the same conclusion. I'd hold off on taking 14th if you can't take it with either Klarman or Feldman.

It seems crazy to me that Harvard Law School only has 2 really good con law professors that everyone fights over...


No, just echoing what others above said, other con law profs such as Fried and Minow are all brilliant too. In terms of fame, probably Fried is the most famous. Feldman and Klarman are considered the best teachers. I have not taken any Feldman class yet but went to one of his lunch events. He is very eloquent and clear in his expressions. Probably the most articulate person I saw here thus far. But the best teachers are not necessarily the best academics. By the way, Klarman is the most popular choice for the 14th Amendment and Feldman for the 1st. You definitely cannot go wrong with any other renowned con law prof for either of the two courses however.

I was only talking about teaching quality, so I'm not sure how your post disagrees with mine. Minow is fine, I guess - I had her for 14th. I thought her class lacked in the organization department and the classroom discussion was out of control (especially early in the class). But maybe that style would work better for other people than it did for me.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:23 am

mujiali wrote:Got pretty good feedback on Rana from the Cornell thread, but hey, who knows.

Eh, in that case, if you feel like it, take it in the spring. I've found it hard to get good information on visiting profs, but if you actually have good info, then run with it.

14th is just such a potentially good class that it's not worth it unless you take it with someone good.

sdfsdg22
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby sdfsdg22 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm thinking of punting one of my courses (doing the least amount of prep required for a P) in order to spend more time on the rest of my courses in the hopes of excelling there. Is this a reasonable strategy?

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:34 am

sdfsdg22 wrote:I'm thinking of punting one of my courses (doing the least amount of prep required for a P) in order to spend more time on the rest of my courses in the hopes of excelling there. Is this a reasonable strategy?


Yes. I would guess that most people do this, most of the time, for at least one course.

The tricky thing is that spending more time on your other classes doesn't mean you'll get an H. More than once when I tried this strategy, I got the H or DS in the "punt" class, and a P in the one I worked hard for.

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:40 am

tomwatts wrote:14th is just such a potentially good class that it's not worth it unless you take it with someone good.


For a different perspective, my schedule never worked out to take 14th with a "good" prof. I took it with someone not especially popular and whose teaching style I really didn't care for, so basically ended up teaching myself. It was frustrating and a lot of my classmates felt the same way.

I'm still glad I took it. The 14th amendment underlies so much of 20th - 21st century conlaw and issues that matter to a lot of people every day (gender, sexuality, race, state intervention in the economy, welfare, etc). It would really be a shame to graduate from any law school without a basic understanding of the concepts of equal protection and due process.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:19 am

despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:14th is just such a potentially good class that it's not worth it unless you take it with someone good.


For a different perspective, my schedule never worked out to take 14th with a "good" prof. I took it with someone not especially popular and whose teaching style I really didn't care for, so basically ended up teaching myself. It was frustrating and a lot of my classmates felt the same way.

I'm still glad I took it. The 14th amendment underlies so much of 20th - 21st century conlaw and issues that matter to a lot of people every day (gender, sexuality, race, state intervention in the economy, welfare, etc). It would really be a shame to graduate from any law school without a basic understanding of the concepts of equal protection and due process.

This post made me realize that I was potentially unclear: I meant it's not worth it in a given semester unless you take it with someone good. You should take 14th at some point.

jthomas98032
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby jthomas98032 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Northwestern student here. My professor was a visiting professor in 2010, would anyone be able to help me get his exam from that year from the exam bank? Jide Nzelibe. Thanks.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:26 pm

jthomas98032 wrote:Northwestern student here. My professor was a visiting professor in 2010, would anyone be able to help me get his exam from that year from the exam bank? Jide Nzelibe. Thanks.

PM me your email.

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:54 am

Two thoughts:

(1) There is a huge range of quality among visiting professors who have taught 14th. Some (e.g. David Strauss from Chicago, who taught in Fall 2011) are probably just as good as the best professors at HLS. But there are others who aren't.

(2) I really do think Fallon should be in the conversation for best 14th professors at HLS, although for whatever reason people seem much more enamored of Klarman. From reputation alone, I do think there is a noticeable drop-off between those two and the other professors who teach 14th (even though many of them are great scholars and/or lovely people).

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:00 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:(2) I really do think Fallon should be in the conversation for best 14th professors at HLS, although for whatever reason people seem much more enamored of Klarman.

I think Fallon rarely if ever teaches 14th. He teaches 1st regularly, though, and I understand his reputation for that class is quite good.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Does anyone have an idea when results from the Q round will be released?

User avatar
polareagle
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby polareagle » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:31 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Does anyone have an idea when results from the Q round will be released?


Last year they were released the day after Final Round.
Final round is next Monday.
So if it's the same day as last year, it will be next Tuesday.
No idea if that's still the plan.

cheesin23
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:09 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby cheesin23 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:07 am

Looking for anyone who may have lost their jacket at the halloween party at the sinclair or who ended up with someone else's. I've been looking for mine with no success :cry: I'm looking for a black peacoat, and have one belonging to someone else. would love to return it to its rightful owner!

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Does anyone who has had Clark for corporations know how big of a deal it would be to miss six classes? I have something already planned during part of class time that would cause me to miss two weeks of class (but only that class). I'm less concerned about the substantive material since I'm more of an outline learner anyways and I have someone to share notes with me, and more concerned about whether or not this would be one of those oddball classes where he'd actually realize I wasn't there and it could potentially effect me. I saw from an earlier discussion ITT that he does panels, so I just figured I'd ask.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:56 pm

So, some of the jobs on the Mass Consortium list ask for writing samples. May be a dumb question, but how are 1Ls supposed to meet this requirement? LRW stuff? Past writing? :?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:50 pm

mujiali wrote:So, some of the jobs on the Mass Consortium list ask for writing samples. May be a dumb question, but how are 1Ls supposed to meet this requirement? LRW stuff? Past writing? :?

LRW memos. Past writing is a no-go unless you happen to have a bunch of prior legal writing with bluebook citations.

They don't expect them to be unique or exceptional. They know how 1L works.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:53 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mujiali wrote:So, some of the jobs on the Mass Consortium list ask for writing samples. May be a dumb question, but how are 1Ls supposed to meet this requirement? LRW stuff? Past writing? :?

LRW memos. Past writing is a no-go unless you happen to have a bunch of prior legal writing with bluebook citations.

They don't expect them to be unique or exceptional. They know how 1L works.


I figured as much, but thank you (as always) for clarifying.

P.S. I'm curious, what happens to Dope/corresponding support after you graduate?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:07 pm

mujiali wrote:P.S. I'm curious, what happens to Dope/corresponding support after you graduate?

It'll stick around. Just working out the details.

Expect it to be renamed though. I get a lot of raised eyebrows at the name whenever I seek sponsorships to fund continued maintenance. :roll:

NoLongerALurker
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby NoLongerALurker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone who has had Clark for corporations know how big of a deal it would be to miss six classes? I have something already planned during part of class time that would cause me to miss two weeks of class (but only that class). I'm less concerned about the substantive material since I'm more of an outline learner anyways and I have someone to share notes with me, and more concerned about whether or not this would be one of those oddball classes where he'd actually realize I wasn't there and it could potentially effect me. I saw from an earlier discussion ITT that he does panels, so I just figured I'd ask.


You're fine. You can reschedule panel dates if need be. I know people who missed way more than six classes and got an H.

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby robotrick » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:48 am

Does anyone have or know where I can find a PDF version of the handbook of academic policies? I only found the school's online version, and the format is maddening and not conducive to Ctrl+f searches.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:00 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone who has had Clark for corporations know how big of a deal it would be to miss six classes? I have something already planned during part of class time that would cause me to miss two weeks of class (but only that class). I'm less concerned about the substantive material since I'm more of an outline learner anyways and I have someone to share notes with me, and more concerned about whether or not this would be one of those oddball classes where he'd actually realize I wasn't there and it could potentially effect me. I saw from an earlier discussion ITT that he does panels, so I just figured I'd ask.


You're fine. You can reschedule panel dates if need be. I know people who missed way more than six classes and got an H.


Cool, thanks!

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:52 pm

robotrick wrote:Does anyone have or know where I can find a PDF version of the handbook of academic policies? I only found the school's online version, and the format is maddening and not conducive to Ctrl+f searches.

Not sure where to find, but if you PM me your email I'll send it to you.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mullens » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Can someone please check to see if there are any Bruce Markell Secured Transactions outlines on any of the Harvard outline banks? He's teaching it for the first time at Northwestern but taught it at Harvard before. Thanks!

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 pm

if anyone else is planning on doing case prep for MBB during J-term/break and wants to work together pm me

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:20 am

When I'm taking a cab from logan to cambridge, and they say "should I take the masspike" what is the right answer? I feel like the drivers take the tunnel on purpose for extra toll and sort traffic.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest