Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wonka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:29 am

o0o0o0o wrote:
Veronica2015 wrote:Has anyone taken Civil Rights Litigation by Scott Michelman?


IMO good class and an excellent class if you want to do that type of work. It's a solid, useful black-letter course--essentially a supplemental fed courts course for people interested in civil rights lit. Be prepared for a lot of reading. I skimmed all of the reading in the 2-3 hours before each class (it meets once a week) and managed an H but ideally you should be prepared to spend more time doing it. He really incorporated a lot of material from very different areas of civil rights practice, arguably too much, but it was all pretty useful doctrine to learn. Strongly recommend you take Con Law: 14 before or concurrently.


Great info, thanks. Maybe not the best choice for the 1L elective?

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:26 am

Veronica2015 wrote:Any comment on these 1L intl law electives? Can’t find much info in the thread. I have little interest in international law, so I really just want a course with less work to do. It would be great if coupled with relatively engaging materials. Thanks!

International Law and Human Rights - Professor Samuel Moyn
International Law in the US Legal System - Professor Jack Goldsmith
Comparative Law: Why Law? Lessons from China - Professor William Alford
International Economic Law - Professor Odette Lienau
Law and the International Economy - Professor Mark Wu
Public International Law - Professor Kenneth Anderson
Public International Law - Professor Gabriella Blum

Besides, is it a bad idea to take evidence 1L spring? The Honorable Peter Rubin teaches in the spring. It meets for two hours a week so doesn't seem like a big time commitment. Though the judge is rated "LP" in Dope for unknown reasons...

I had Blum and I do think the hype is deserved--she's a very strong teacher. If you can't get her, I recommend the other public international law class for the subject matter. It's a useful overview of international law as a thing, and an overview is really all you need. It also provides important connections to things you'll learn in Fourteenth and such. I suspect Goldsmith's class will also serve that goal as well, though.

o0o0o0o
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby o0o0o0o » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 pm

wonka wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:
Veronica2015 wrote:Has anyone taken Civil Rights Litigation by Scott Michelman?


IMO good class and an excellent class if you want to do that type of work. It's a solid, useful black-letter course--essentially a supplemental fed courts course for people interested in civil rights lit. Be prepared for a lot of reading. I skimmed all of the reading in the 2-3 hours before each class (it meets once a week) and managed an H but ideally you should be prepared to spend more time doing it. He really incorporated a lot of material from very different areas of civil rights practice, arguably too much, but it was all pretty useful doctrine to learn. Strongly recommend you take Con Law: 14 before or concurrently.


Great info, thanks. Maybe not the best choice for the 1L elective?


I don't know how the 1Ls in the class felt about it. I imagine that I would have found it challenging as a 1L, in large part because one won't have already taken Con Law.

Veronica2015
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Veronica2015 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:47 pm

o0o0o0o wrote:
wonka wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:
Veronica2015 wrote:Has anyone taken Civil Rights Litigation by Scott Michelman?


IMO good class and an excellent class if you want to do that type of work. It's a solid, useful black-letter course--essentially a supplemental fed courts course for people interested in civil rights lit. Be prepared for a lot of reading. I skimmed all of the reading in the 2-3 hours before each class (it meets once a week) and managed an H but ideally you should be prepared to spend more time doing it. He really incorporated a lot of material from very different areas of civil rights practice, arguably too much, but it was all pretty useful doctrine to learn. Strongly recommend you take Con Law: 14 before or concurrently.


Great info, thanks. Maybe not the best choice for the 1L elective?


I don't know how the 1Ls in the class felt about it. I imagine that I would have found it challenging as a 1L, in large part because one won't have already taken Con Law.


Thanks for the info! I guess 1Ls are advised against taking blackletter course generally...
BTW, what's the preferencing strategy for it? Is it popular?

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Veronica2015 wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:
wonka wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:
Veronica2015 wrote:Has anyone taken Civil Rights Litigation by Scott Michelman?


IMO good class and an excellent class if you want to do that type of work. It's a solid, useful black-letter course--essentially a supplemental fed courts course for people interested in civil rights lit. Be prepared for a lot of reading. I skimmed all of the reading in the 2-3 hours before each class (it meets once a week) and managed an H but ideally you should be prepared to spend more time doing it. He really incorporated a lot of material from very different areas of civil rights practice, arguably too much, but it was all pretty useful doctrine to learn. Strongly recommend you take Con Law: 14 before or concurrently.


Great info, thanks. Maybe not the best choice for the 1L elective?


I don't know how the 1Ls in the class felt about it. I imagine that I would have found it challenging as a 1L, in large part because one won't have already taken Con Law.


Thanks for the info! I guess 1Ls are advised against taking blackletter course generally...
BTW, what's the preferencing strategy for it? Is it popular?


Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a black letter course for your 1L elective if you're interested in it. In particular, I think taking Con Law as a 1L can be really helpful.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:02 pm

I can see the use of a BLL class during 1L, however I took a blow-off seminar (in a subject area I was interested in, but still blow-off), did essentially no work in it all semester, got the H and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Just a second viewpoint.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:56 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:I can see the use of a BLL class during 1L, however I took a blow-off seminar (in a subject area I was interested in, but still blow-off), did essentially no work in it all semester, got the H and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Just a second viewpoint.

FWIW I wish I had done that.

eleemosynary2
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby eleemosynary2 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:29 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:I can see the use of a BLL class during 1L, however I took a blow-off seminar (in a subject area I was interested in, but still blow-off), did essentially no work in it all semester, got the H and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Just a second viewpoint.


I did the same thing and got a P. Regretted it for a moment, but good decision in retrospect.

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:54 pm

eleemosynary2 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:I can see the use of a BLL class during 1L, however I took a blow-off seminar (in a subject area I was interested in, but still blow-off), did essentially no work in it all semester, got the H and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Just a second viewpoint.


I did the same thing and got a P. Regretted it for a moment, but good decision in retrospect.


It's also worth noting that "blow-off seminars" can, depending on your work style, be more stressful than BLL classes. I hated having to do things like weekly response papers, and I found exams a lot easier to deal with than seminar papers at the end of a semester.

rathgra
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby rathgra » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 am

pupshaw wrote:
eleemosynary2 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:I can see the use of a BLL class during 1L, however I took a blow-off seminar (in a subject area I was interested in, but still blow-off), did essentially no work in it all semester, got the H and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Just a second viewpoint.


I did the same thing and got a P. Regretted it for a moment, but good decision in retrospect.


It's also worth noting that "blow-off seminars" can, depending on your work style, be more stressful than BLL classes. I hated having to do things like weekly response papers, and I found exams a lot easier to deal with than seminar papers at the end of a semester.


I've posted this before, but I think it's worth repeating: if you hated writing papers in undergrad, you will still hate writing papers in law school. I took BLL for my elective and it was absolutely the right decision - Ames was plenty of writing for me and having two major writing assignments would have stressed me out infinitely more than another exam did.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Is there a general consensus on how long it takes to get memos back? Want my closed one back before I really dive in to writing the open memo...

User avatar
foxes
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:52 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby foxes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:38 pm

mujiali wrote:Is there a general consensus on how long it takes to get memos back? Want my closed one back before I really dive in to writing the open memo...

i was told this week, but it doesn't look like that's happening (though i suppose they could go out tomorrow)

User avatar
hop
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hop » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi, I haven't been reimbursed for my eip interviews yet. I sent paperwork in early Sept. Does it take this long or was there a mix up? Thanks.

User avatar
SweetTort
Posts: 2444
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby SweetTort » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Hey, random question about LIPP.

On the Website it says "LIPP is available for Harvard Law School JD Program graduates who work in any full-time job for a government, nonprofit [501(c)(3)] or academic organization (nonprofit only) in the USA".

Does this mean one could go to Harvard Law, graduate, decide they hate law, and become a high school teacher, with all of their debt being covered by LIPP?

User avatar
leslieknope
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby leslieknope » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:11 am

SweetTort wrote:Hey, random question about LIPP.

On the Website it says "LIPP is available for Harvard Law School JD Program graduates who work in any full-time job for a government, nonprofit [501(c)(3)] or academic organization (nonprofit only) in the USA".

Does this mean one could go to Harvard Law, graduate, decide they hate law, and become a high school teacher, with all of their debt being covered by LIPP?


Yup! The joke about LIPP is that if all else fails, you can always go teach at Cambridge Public Schools and LIPP would cover you.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:12 am

leslieknope wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Hey, random question about LIPP.

On the Website it says "LIPP is available for Harvard Law School JD Program graduates who work in any full-time job for a government, nonprofit [501(c)(3)] or academic organization (nonprofit only) in the USA".

Does this mean one could go to Harvard Law, graduate, decide they hate law, and become a high school teacher, with all of their debt being covered by LIPP?


Yup! The joke about LIPP is that if all else fails, you can always go teach at Cambridge Public Schools and LIPP would cover you.


My backup for EIP

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby jingosaur » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:50 am

hop wrote:Hi, I haven't been reimbursed for my eip interviews yet. I sent paperwork in early Sept. Does it take this long or was there a mix up? Thanks.


I haven't gotten my reimbursement stuff either and sent it in around the same time. People on this site says it can take months.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:18 am

leslieknope wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Hey, random question about LIPP.

On the Website it says "LIPP is available for Harvard Law School JD Program graduates who work in any full-time job for a government, nonprofit [501(c)(3)] or academic organization (nonprofit only) in the USA".

Does this mean one could go to Harvard Law, graduate, decide they hate law, and become a high school teacher, with all of their debt being covered by LIPP?


Yup! The joke about LIPP is that if all else fails, you can always go teach at Cambridge Public Schools and LIPP would cover you.

I actually know someone who decided to do this (though not in Cambridge). She decided she didn't want to be a lawyer as a 2L, so as a 3L she cross-registered for poetry classes and stuff (pretty much blowing off the law), and as far as I know now she's teaching somewhere.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Do they give LPs in LRW?

Asking for a friend hahaah

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Do they give LPs in LRW?

Asking for a friend hahaah


Pretty sure we have to not hand shit in for that to happen.

Orion311
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Orion311 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:27 pm

How important are class notes for 1L exams? Is it possible to succeed just by knowing rules/issues from assigned cases, and/or looking at outlines or supplements? It's embarrassing, but I never learned to take notes and have always struggled to pay attention to oral lectures, but did alright in undergrad because I had very reading/textbook based courses. I've tried to start note-taking here, but now I'm realizing I just have word documents with a few random transcribed quotes from my profs which are essentially useless.

Also - as far as exam studying goes, is the recommended method generally to be re-reading briefs/highlighted cases in conjunction with class notes and sticking the important stuff in an outline?

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby radio1nowhere » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Your best friend: http://hlsdope.org/outlines

Ericwa
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Ericwa » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:11 pm

As far as EIP, anyone has any idea how international students do? Do they have significant disadvantages? Thanks!

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby heythatslife » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Ericwa wrote:As far as EIP, anyone has any idea how international students do? Do they have significant disadvantages? Thanks!

I have no stats to back up my claim, but everyone I know (myself included) has done pretty well, at least in major markets (but then again, international students do tend to self-select into major markets). So don't worry about your citizenship status, focus on your grades and interviewing skills, and you'll do fine.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Orion311 wrote:How important are class notes for 1L exams? Is it possible to succeed just by knowing rules/issues from assigned cases, and/or looking at outlines or supplements? It's embarrassing, but I never learned to take notes and have always struggled to pay attention to oral lectures, but did alright in undergrad because I had very reading/textbook based courses. I've tried to start note-taking here, but now I'm realizing I just have word documents with a few random transcribed quotes from my profs which are essentially useless.

You might be at a small disadvantage if you're dealing with a visiting prof or someone who hasn't taught a particular class before, because you won't be able to get an outline for that particular prof, and profs do vary somewhat in what they want you to know. For anything else, you'll probably be able to be okay with an outline from a prior year, as long as you've done the reading, tried to pay attention in class (especially when a prof says that something is important), etc.

Orion311 wrote:Also - as far as exam studying goes, is the recommended method generally to be re-reading briefs/highlighted cases in conjunction with class notes and sticking the important stuff in an outline?

The single most important thing, if possible, is to get ahold of old exams and exam answers from this class taught by this professor. If you can figure out what they like to test, and what they like to see in their answers, you'll be able to figure out what to study. Profs do vary, so for some, in-depth knowledge of the cases really matters, and for some, you really need to read a supplement, and for some (a lot), you really need to know what they said in class about the cases (not what the cases actually said themselves).

But yeah, putting cases/black-letter law in outlines is generally the preferred approach, once you know how you're supposed to be thinking about it. (Either making your own or reading/editing someone else's.)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests