Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
codyoneill

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by codyoneill » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:32 am

radio1nowhere wrote:Is journal editing experience helpful for the law review write-on?
Journal editing experience is helpful to an extent. But the subcite portion of the write-on competition is not an exhaustive bluebook test. A limited number of bluebook rules are tested, along with grammar, punctuation, and law review style convention.

You can read about the competition here:

http://harvardlawreview.org/about/

The general advice is not to worry about the competition until it comes around in the Spring. This is probably good advice because you have enough to worry about now. Here's my prep advice. Don't do anything this semester. But after finals are over, during break, j-term, and spring semester you should read the Supreme Court case comments from this year's November issue. The writing part of the competition asks you to create a miniature version of a case comment. The more familiar you are with that format and style of writing—and it is a specific style—the more comfortable you will be writing that way during the competition week.

soha

New

Post by soha » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:07 am

This is a question for all the students at Harvard law school, I want to know how you all prepared for the school, what extracracular activities you did? majors, jpa, work, anything else that you did that helped you get into school.
also how did you prepare for the lsat. I would really appreciate your comments. I want honest answers. Thank you.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:15 am

soha wrote:This is a question for all the students at Harvard law school, I want to know how you all prepared for the school, what extracracular activities you did? majors, jpa, work, anything else that you did that helped you get into school.
also how did you prepare for the lsat. I would really appreciate your comments. I want honest answers. Thank you.
Might I assume English is not your first language? You need to work on your English skills. Also you shouldn't be going to undergrad with a design of going to law school. I love HLS and (think) I'll like being a lawyer but many many many of us are here because we liberal arted undergrad. Plenty of threads on here about LSAT prep.

soha

New

Post by soha » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:27 am

wert3813 wrote:
soha wrote:This is a question for all the students at Harvard law school, I want to know how you all prepared for the school, what extracracular activities you did? majors, jpa, work, anything else that you did that helped you get into school.
Might I assume English is not your first language? You need to work on your English skills. Also you shouldn't be going to undergrad with a design of going to law school. I love HLS and (think) I'll like being a lawyer but many many many of us are here because we liberal arted undergrad. Plenty of threads on here about LSAT prep.
What do you mean, "work on my English skills"?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:51 am

Here is a giant list of thousands of applicants, their GPAs, Majors, LSAT scores, work experiences, and application status: http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

And here is a thread with hundreds of LSAT prep stories and their corresponding final scores: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396

With respect to the title of this thread, I don't think either of those need to be rehashed here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:32 pm

On a lighter note, what are the best coffeeshops for studying in around Cambridge? Bonus points for big tables and/or wifi.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:46 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:On a lighter note, what are the best coffeeshops for studying in around Cambridge? Bonus points for big tables and/or wifi.
I've just settled for Starbucks at this point. Avoid the one on Harvard Square unless late at night, as that one's a busy tourist watering hole, but I'm pretty happy with any of the other ones in Cambridge. They're pretty hard to beat for the combination of reliable wifi + constant availability of seats + on-site bathroom + late closing time. There are a few places that I would rate higher for the coffee, but each of them has its own shortcomings - e.g. Dwelltime (early closing), Bourbon Cafe (no wifi), Crema (hard to get seats), Simon's (totally random opening times), Tealuxe (I love their tea but they have no bathroom).

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 pm

heythatslife wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:On a lighter note, what are the best coffeeshops for studying in around Cambridge? Bonus points for big tables and/or wifi.
I've just settled for Starbucks at this point. Avoid the one on Harvard Square unless late at night, as that one's a busy tourist watering hole, but I'm pretty happy with any of the other ones in Cambridge. They're pretty hard to beat for the combination of reliable wifi + constant availability of seats + on-site bathroom + late closing time. There are a few places that I would rate higher for the coffee, but each of them has its own shortcomings - e.g. Dwelltime (early closing), Bourbon Cafe (no wifi), Crema (hard to get seats), Simon's (totally random opening times), Tealuxe (I love their tea but they have no bathroom).
Bourbon Coffee on Porter totally has wifi. Also Dwelltime has the best cold brew I've had in Cambridge so far. There's a bunch of great places in the Central Square area, but I haven't found anything I really like close to campus so far.

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:11 pm

leslieknope wrote: Bourbon Coffee on Porter totally has wifi. Also Dwelltime has the best cold brew I've had in Cambridge so far. There's a bunch of great places in the Central Square area, but I haven't found anything I really like close to campus so far.
Bourbon "techincally" has wifi, but it cuts out a lot, or else goes offline completely for hours at a time. And when it is working consistently for a day, it is horribly slow.

Panera @ Porter also has wifi, food/coffee, available space, and bathrooms. Brueger's Bagels looks like a good place to study as well, but I've only personally ever gone there for a bagel. Clover is pretty great too--you pick up Harvard wifi from the admin/health buildings there, and they have coffee. The only problem with Clover is you will smell like a deep fryer after an afternoon there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:07 pm

wonka wrote:
I like Darwin Ltd. I've been to two locations (one on Mt. Auburn and the other on Cambridge St). There's always a lot of seating and reliable wifi. And they do both food and coffee well.
Stop posting and finish ur memo

soha

New

Post by soha » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:07 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Here is a giant list of thousands of applicants, their GPAs, Majors, LSAT scores, work experiences, and application status: http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

And here is a thread with hundreds of LSAT prep stories and their corresponding final scores: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396

With respect to the title of this thread, I don't think either of those need to be rehashed here.

Thank you. this really helped.

one more question, are a HL student

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

o0o0o0o

New

Post by o0o0o0o » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Anyone know whether there's any way to see who interviewers will be for PIIP resume collect interview? Thanks.

pinkpanda

New

Post by pinkpanda » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thanks for all the helpful insights.

Can anyone share thoughts on the Harvard Law and Policy Review vs. the Civil Rights - Civil Liberties Review? I'm especially interested to hear about differences in the journals' subjects of focus, types of work for 1Ls, and their cultures. Thanks!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:38 pm

pinkpanda wrote:Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thanks for all the helpful insights.

Can anyone share thoughts on the Harvard Law and Policy Review vs. the Civil Rights - Civil Liberties Review? I'm especially interested to hear about differences in the journals' subjects of focus, types of work for 1Ls, and their cultures. Thanks!
If anyone also has insight over whether HILJ's brutal subcites are worth it, that'd be great.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:25 am

leslieknope wrote:
pinkpanda wrote:Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thanks for all the helpful insights.

If anyone also has insight over whether HILJ's brutal subcites are worth it, that'd be great.
2 subcite sessions in the fall semester as opposed to 1 as most other journals seem to do, but other than that I don't think it's substantially worse. I heard other journals let you take the subcite work home and do it remotely, but everyone being in the same place at same time has its own advantages. Plus, 2 free meals per day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:52 pm

If you're ok with small tables, Burdick's Chocolate on Brattle street has life-changingly good hot chocolate. It does have wifi.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks for the coffee tips!

Unrelated, much dumber question: so 1Ls 100% won't have anything to do/submit after the academic calender's "1L Exam Period" ends, right? Tryna buy my plane ticket for earliest possible date.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Thanks for the coffee tips!

Unrelated, much dumber question: so 1Ls 100% won't have anything to do/submit after the academic calender's "1L Exam Period" ends, right? Tryna buy my plane ticket for earliest possible date.
i asked about this earlier in the thread and people told me that this was right (i already went ahead and bought my tix, so if its wrong...whoops)

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:37 pm

After fall semester, that's true. After spring semester there's the law review write-on if you are planning on entering the competition.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S.Lee2018

New

Post by S.Lee2018 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
wwwcol wrote: Don't worry about the Dec 1 rule. It's more relevant to firms than you. Informational interviews with lawyers are fine. If you send all your apps on Nov 28/29, you may be at a slight disadvantage because some firms will have already hired. I know a lot of people who were hooked up with SAs by mid Nov.

To your second question, you can't have all 4. The Hark is cheap and accessible (sometimes healthy but rarely good), Grubhub options are good, accessible, and can be healthy. The cheap (which I define as $10 or under per meal) places are really limited around campus. I think the websites for porter and harvard sq have restaurants lists so that would give you specific names.
Agree about the Dec 1 rule - I sent emailed out resumes and coverletters throughout November, I also spent most of PSW (A pretty worthless ungraded January term course) mailing out resumes (but those were mostly too late). Some firms will email you back saying they can't talk to you until Dec 1. Some will set up phone calls, winter break meetings, etc

I asked attorneys out to coffee, did a few office visits, and prepared all my cover letters, resumes, etc. before December 1, thinking that sending before then was a problem. On December 1 I sent out like 45 or 50 emails to firms with my info. 10 firms said they don't hire 1Ls (just bad research on my part), and 15 or 20 just never responded, and maybe another 10 or 15 told me they had already filled all their 1L slots.

I don't understand the 12/1 thing, but I can tell you for a fact that some firms will fill all their 1L slots before that date. Don't know how, don't know why, but it wasn't even like they were hiding it, so there must be something more to this rule that I don't know about.
:shock: :shock: Could anyone else attest these statements? It would be wonderful if these are true so we don't need to worry about applications when December comes.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:12 pm

S.Lee2018 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
wwwcol wrote: Don't worry about the Dec 1 rule. It's more relevant to firms than you. Informational interviews with lawyers are fine. If you send all your apps on Nov 28/29, you may be at a slight disadvantage because some firms will have already hired. I know a lot of people who were hooked up with SAs by mid Nov.

To your second question, you can't have all 4. The Hark is cheap and accessible (sometimes healthy but rarely good), Grubhub options are good, accessible, and can be healthy. The cheap (which I define as $10 or under per meal) places are really limited around campus. I think the websites for porter and harvard sq have restaurants lists so that would give you specific names.
Agree about the Dec 1 rule - I sent emailed out resumes and coverletters throughout November, I also spent most of PSW (A pretty worthless ungraded January term course) mailing out resumes (but those were mostly too late). Some firms will email you back saying they can't talk to you until Dec 1. Some will set up phone calls, winter break meetings, etc

I asked attorneys out to coffee, did a few office visits, and prepared all my cover letters, resumes, etc. before December 1, thinking that sending before then was a problem. On December 1 I sent out like 45 or 50 emails to firms with my info. 10 firms said they don't hire 1Ls (just bad research on my part), and 15 or 20 just never responded, and maybe another 10 or 15 told me they had already filled all their 1L slots.

I don't understand the 12/1 thing, but I can tell you for a fact that some firms will fill all their 1L slots before that date. Don't know how, don't know why, but it wasn't even like they were hiding it, so there must be something more to this rule that I don't know about.
:shock: :shock: Could anyone else attest these statements? It would be wonderful if these are true so we don't need to worry about applications when December comes.
What more are you looking for? Three credible posters all said the same thing (and for what it's worth, they're right).

S.Lee2018

New

Post by S.Lee2018 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:43 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote: What more are you looking for? Three credible posters all said the same thing (and for what it's worth, they're right).
I am wondering how this could possibly comply with the dec 1st rule. Are we allowed to do it? Or is it in fact a violation of the rule, just going unpunished?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:27 am

S.Lee2018 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote: What more are you looking for? Three credible posters all said the same thing (and for what it's worth, they're right).
I am wondering how this could possibly comply with the dec 1st rule. Are we allowed to do it? Or is it in fact a violation of the rule, just going unpunished?
The rule is "Prospective employers and first year law students should not initiate contact with one another and employers should not interview or make offers to first year students before December 1." And yes, often students and firms fail to adhere to it. Here are few things to keep in mind:

Fist, membership in NALP (and by extension, compliance with NALP rules) is not compulsory. At least in Texas, most smaller/midsize firms are not members of NALP, and so aren't bound by the Dec 1st rule. This is "at-will" employment we're talking about here; if a firm wants to interview in August then they can do that. However, because HLS essentially requires EIP employers to adhere to the NALP guidelines (or else be banned from EIP), employers for whom that incentive is compelling will still tend to follow the Dec. 1 rule, at least theoretically.

Second, you're not going to get in trouble for sending your materials early. Prior to November would seem a bit odd to me, but anytime within that month should be fine. Maybe you don't need to advertise what you're doing to OCS or to your classmates, but then again I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for sending apps early.

Third, there are four general types of people who get 1L firm jobs:
-Texans (in Texas)
-URM/minorities (this includes diversity positions)
-People with solid financial/accounting/consulting/biotech experience
-People with family connections

Almost very person I know who had a 1L job fit into at least one of these categories. If you fit one of these descriptions, then you should be looking for advice primarily from people who had 1L firm jobs and fit the same description. If you're not trying to get to Texas, then hearing advice from Joe Texan about how to get a 1L firm job is not going to be very useful to you. There are general tips, to be sure, but you should be looking for advice from someone who went through the same process as you're intending to.

Each category hires differently. For example, as I understand it, the URM/diversity positions stick pretty rigidly to the formal NALP schedule. On other end of the spectrum you have the family connection people, who often have 1L firm jobs lined up prior to beginning orientation. The other two categories fall somewhere in between. In any case, it doesn't hurt to send out apps early.

If none of these categories describes you, then you're probably not getting a firm job as a 1L. You might, but you probably won't. One exception may be that the firms that come to interview 1Ls during Spring might be looking for people with really good grades, but I'm not certain grades alone are going to get you an opportunity that you wouldn't have otherwise be competitive for.

I did the Texas thing, so my advice is generally limited to that domain. Be sure to get other opinions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”