Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mack.Hambleton

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:13 am

Oh sorry thought you were a 1L

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Oh sorry thought you were a 1L

And just to clarify, for 1Ls, reading groups are not assessed in any way, and you don't get credit for them.

doctorjuris

Postby doctorjuris » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:32 am

edited
Last edited by doctorjuris on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Lee2018

Postby S.Lee2018 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Any insiders at Harvard Defenders could shed light on how selective the application is? What are the possible selection criteria? The project sounds challenging and interesting. Really want to get in. Thanks in advance!

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:08 pm

S.Lee2018 wrote:Any insiders at Harvard Defenders could shed light on how selective the application is? What are the possible selection criteria? The project sounds challenging and interesting. Really want to get in. Thanks in advance!

The interview is a miniature version of the kind of interview a public defender office would give, so I would look up those. OPIA has a good guide.

The interview is largely a test to see how committed you will be to representing your client and putting your clients' best interests first.

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Are there any 2Ls or 3Ls on here who had Julie Suk for Civil Procedure?

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:24 pm

maroon175 wrote:Are there any 2Ls or 3Ls on here who had Julie Suk for Civil Procedure?

:shock:

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Searchparty wrote:
maroon175 wrote:Are there any 2Ls or 3Ls on here who had Julie Suk for Civil Procedure?

Autocorrect?

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Searchparty wrote:

Autocorrect?

Nope. Not mistaking her for Jeannie Suk. Julie Suk was a visiting prof a year or two ago and she's at my school now.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:34 am

maroon175 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Searchparty wrote:

Autocorrect?

Nope. Not mistaking her for Jeannie Suk. Julie Suk was a visiting prof a year or two ago and she's at my school now.

She was a visiting professor for the 2012-2013 term. You'd be looking for 4Ls because current 3Ls started in fall of 2013.

Orion311

Postby Orion311 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Any advice from upper years on how various extra-curriculars look on a resume?

At the moment I'm thinking of doing one artistic/fun group, the law and gender journal, and a non-SPO advocacy group.

But will I be at a disadvantage when job searching if I don't have an SPO going for me? Or perhaps more journalling?

Is there a certain number or amount of things one should take?

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:49 pm

2nding above but for corporate/business stuff. Worth it to join business law review?

politics89

Postby politics89 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Orion311 wrote:Any advice from upper years on how various extra-curriculars look on a resume?

At the moment I'm thinking of doing one artistic/fun group, the law and gender journal, and a non-SPO advocacy group.

But will I be at a disadvantage when job searching if I don't have an SPO going for me? Or perhaps more journalling?

I think an SPO can be good if you don't have any work experience or want to do a job with direct client work. I would recommend a journal if you want to clerk. No one expects you to do more than one though. wouldn't overload bc then it looks like you're just resume padding.

despina

Postby despina » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:13 pm

TripTrip wrote:
maroon175 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Searchparty wrote:

Autocorrect?

She was a visiting professor for the 2012-2013 term. You'd be looking for 4Ls because current 3Ls started in fall of 2013.

No coincidence -- they're sisters. :D

4L here. I didn't have her, so I don't have anything helpful to say, but hopefully someone from my year will chime in.

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:39 pm

despina wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
maroon175 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Searchparty wrote:

Autocorrect?

No coincidence -- they're sisters. :D

4L here. I didn't have her, so I don't have anything helpful to say, but hopefully someone from my year will chime in.

Ah, that explains. Thanks!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:26 pm

politics89 wrote:
Orion311 wrote:Any advice from upper years on how various extra-curriculars look on a resume?

I think an SPO can be good if you don't have any work experience or want to do a job with direct client work. I would recommend a journal if you want to clerk. No one expects you to do more than one though. wouldn't overload bc then it looks like you're just resume padding.

Agree with this. You definitely don't "need" to do any of these things; in other words, no, you won't be at a disadvantage for not having done them. Firms don't care. They can be helpful bough if your resume is otherwise empty-ish. I didn't do anything 1L except for classes, and still got some pretty solid 1L job opportunities. Location/goals matter here though.

Also, as was said, if you want to clerk then do a journal.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:07 am

Pneumonia wrote:
politics89 wrote:

Agree with this. You definitely don't "need" to do any of these things; in other words, no, you won't be at a disadvantage for not having done them. Firms don't care. They can be helpful bough if your resume is otherwise empty-ish. I didn't do anything 1L except for classes, and still got some pretty solid 1L job opportunities. Location/goals matter here though.

Also, as was said, if you want to clerk then do a journal.

As was said, none of it is required in order to get jobs, but I do think they help. IME, my SPOs were the things I talked about most in job interviews while my journal hardly ever came up. I think these kinds of things are especially helpful when you're trying to create a convincing story as to why you're interested in a particular area (e.g. if you're interested in a specific field/issue/etc).

Mack.Hambleton wrote:2nding above but for corporate/business stuff. Worth it to join business law review?

If you like that sort of thing, or think you might, it's worth trying.

S.Lee2018

Postby S.Lee2018 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:25 pm

codyoneill wrote:
S.Lee2018 wrote:Any insiders at Harvard Defenders could shed light on how selective the application is? What are the possible selection criteria? The project sounds challenging and interesting. Really want to get in. Thanks in advance!

The interview is a miniature version of the kind of interview a public defender office would give, so I would look up those. OPIA has a good guide.

The interview is largely a test to see how committed you will be to representing your client and putting your clients' best interests first.

Thanks for the info!

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Going to chime in and offer my 2c that the best path for job success at EIP is, no activities -> highest possible grades.

That's not a recommendation by any means, but seriously 1Ls just optimize your ECs for your happiness/interest and getting you through what will probably at times be a brutal and isolating year.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:48 pm

How much time on campus would journal work require? Trying to figure out if extra commuting will be needed, or if it can be done remotely. Guessing the answer, as with everything so far, will be "it depends" :D

Veronica2015

Postby Veronica2015 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Which journals are generally considered to provide better member experiences/select interesting articles? Would love to hear some personal stories as well. Any input is appreciated!

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:30 pm

When do we get the grade for the 3-day intro to finance class?

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:10 am

Is journal editing experience helpful for the law review write-on?

ScratchableItch

Postby ScratchableItch » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:17 am

General advice for 1Ls:

1) Journals, SPOs, and other Orgs
These are all are good experiences, in general. But don't overdo them. They are for your personal edification, and may help as extra trimming on your resume or when you interview. But they will not make or break you, so do what interests you.

2) The three most important things you should do as a 1L:
(a) attend class,
(b) do the readings, and
(c) try to figure out what the heck law school/law is about.

And don't worry too much about (c); you probably won't start to understand law school or anything about law until your second, third, or sixth semester of law school. And that's okay. This is a learning process, and you are on the first step.

3) Think about what you're interested in.
If you're interested in something, then do one thing in that area. If you're not interested in something, then do something in any area. You have time to figure out what you actually want to do. You're only in your fourth week of law school, and you have plenty of time to meet new people, learn new things, and discover what you want to do with your life. Don't expect to have all the answers right now.

4) Talk.
Talk to your classmates. Talk to the 2Ls and 3Ls you have met. Talk to at least one professor. Talk to an adviser. PLEASE talk to someone outside of law school. All of these people have something to offer you. They can each offer some advice, or a bit of perspective, or some new idea that you would not have gotten on your own. You are not an island! Don't do this on your own!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:12 am

malleus discentium wrote:When do we get the grade for the 3-day intro to finance class?

Last year they sent an email on October 7 saying everyone passed, but actual grades weren't available until later.

mujiali wrote:How much time on campus would journal work require? Trying to figure out if extra commuting will be needed, or if it can be done remotely. Guessing the answer, as with everything so far, will be "it depends" :D

Usually subcites are in person. Law review and editing positions involve more remote work.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”