Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TripTrip

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Legal Eagle87 wrote:1. On HLS Dope, I find a course that's been rated by say 100 students but only shows 1 comment. When I click on it for more information, I just return to the page with all courses listed. Is there some other way to get more info on 1 specific course?

1A. What determines whether a course gets an "Easy H" designation? Related to the above, is there any way to access comments related to ease & difficulty for courses lacking that designation?

2. What's a harder class to keep up with: Howell Jackson's Regulation of Fin Institutions, or Brennan's Taxation?

3. The courses with WLs 100+ students long: do you basically need to pray that 2-3 students current enrollees drop, and the 97 people ahead of you all decline? IIRC you're given 24hrs to accept a WL offer, so if the WL has to go through 97 students and some don't bother responding (declining by no response), doesn't that mean Add/Drop will be over before the WL gets to people at the bottom (i.e., 97 24hr cycles).

1: 100 students filled out the in-class course evaluations, but fewer filled out the Dope survey. (After all, you have to fill out five course evaluations every semester but only one Dope survey.)

1A. Yes. Working on it now. It hasn't been a priority because EIP and 1L section assignments were happening before the waitlist processing will begin again. You'll be able to see the rest of the info shortly. (I'll send out an email when you can.)

Skipping 2 because I have no idea.

3. Courses with more people on the waitlist than there are days left before the term starts end up in the "firesale" where all the 24 hour cycles are reduced to just one 24 period where everyone on the list has to respond if they want to stay on.

Legal Eagle87

???

Postby Legal Eagle87 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:36 pm

???
Last edited by Legal Eagle87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Legal Eagle87 wrote:So during that firesale, does it become first reply, first serve, or does it still proceed by position in the WL queue?

Still proceeds by position. At the end of the 24 hours they go through everyone who responded by their position on the list.

This is all assuming they conduct the firesales this term. There isn't a rule that says they have to.

asdlfjsafn

Postby asdlfjsafn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Just to double check, I can order textbooks online and have them shipped to Gropius, right? Can I also have something like a mini-fridge shipped, or is that too big?

foxes

Postby foxes » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:35 pm

asdlfjsafn wrote:Just to double check, I can order textbooks online and have them shipped to Gropius, right? Can I also have something like a mini-fridge shipped, or is that too big?

I had my book and fridge shipped to gropius. As long as your fridge doesn't exceed the handbook guidelines it's ok. I think it had to be like four cubic feet or smaller.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:28 pm

foxes wrote:
asdlfjsafn wrote:Just to double check, I can order textbooks online and have them shipped to Gropius, right? Can I also have something like a mini-fridge shipped, or is that too big?

I had my book and fridge shipped to gropius. As long as your fridge doesn't exceed the handbook guidelines it's ok. I think it had to be like four cubic feet or smaller.

They even deliver it directly to your room!

It would be pretty counterproductive of me to be listing Gropius approved mini-fridges on the section pages of HLS Dope if you couldn't ship them to Gropius.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Get the minifridge early because after the first week of class or something, there is no more free delivery to your room.

asdlfjsafn

Postby asdlfjsafn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 am

Awesome, thanks everyone!

Another question - want to make sure I don't miss the boat on this - approximately when do we typically find out what reading groups exist and how will we be able to sign up for them?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:08 am

asdlfjsafn wrote:Awesome, thanks everyone!

Another question - want to make sure I don't miss the boat on this - approximately when do we typically find out what reading groups exist and how will we be able to sign up for them?

I think signups is the week classes start. You'll get an email about 'em in September.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:09 am

asdlfjsafn wrote:Awesome, thanks everyone!

You'll be fine. They'll let you know in early Fall, can't miss it.

Go enjoy your summer while it lasts.

Kluge

Postby Kluge » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:52 pm

I have a few questions for anyone who has lived in North:

Should I bring a shower curtain and liner?
Should I bring my own desk chair or just use the one provided?

Anything you didn't think to bring, but ended up wishing you had?

Thanks!

mxq3r9

Postby mxq3r9 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Do professors allow students to record lectures? I would like to invest in a decent recording device to record lectures. Appreciate any responses :)

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:26 pm

mxq3r9 wrote:Do professors allow students to record lectures? I would like to invest in a decent recording device to record lectures. Appreciate any responses :)

Generally, no. I think they are self-conscious about the lecture or student comments being recorded for posterity. Unless you are absent for religious or health reasons, I think there's a presumption that you are not allowed to record the lecture.

blueberrycrumble

Postby blueberrycrumble » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Kluge wrote:I have a few questions for anyone who has lived in North:

Thanks!

This but for Gropius please!

I'm pretty sure showercurtain/liner is unnecessary since there's door (RIGHT? lol), but desk chair?
Anything you wish you brought (except printer, which is already mentioned)?

Thank you!

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Torts with Hanson doesnt have a casebook listed on HLSdope, does he not require one??

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Torts with Hanson doesnt have a casebook listed on HLSdope, does he not require one??

Probably no casebook. After all, Torts with Hanson doesn't really require Torts.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Torts with Hanson doesnt have a casebook listed on HLSdope, does he not require one??

Yeah, no casebook. Torts with Hanson is an experience.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Thank u based Hanson

Legal Eagle87

???

Postby Legal Eagle87 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:17 pm

???
Last edited by Legal Eagle87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Legal Eagle87 wrote:Is there a cap on how many reading groups you can join in a semester, as an upperclassman?

Usually reading groups are only ~10 people, so it would be difficult to get into more than one or two.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:
Kluge wrote:I have a few questions for anyone who has lived in North:

Thanks!

This but for Gropius please!

I'm pretty sure showercurtain/liner is unnecessary since there's door (RIGHT? lol), but desk chair?
Anything you wish you brought (except printer, which is already mentioned)?

Thank you!

North and Gropius both come with curtains and decent desk chairs.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Anyone have any experience with the 66 during rush hour/the winter? Trying to plan my commute. If you do, PM me please.

af0890

Postby af0890 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Question re: book rental. Is it a bad idea to rent books? Can you not highlight/take notes in rented books? Is it better to buy used even though most used books are already written in/highlighted?

Thanks!

Legal Eagle87

???

Postby Legal Eagle87 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:15 pm

???

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Legal Eagle87 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Legal Eagle87 wrote:Is there a cap on how many reading groups you can join in a semester, as an upperclassman?

Usually reading groups are only ~10 people, so it would be difficult to get into more than one or two.

How does that impact difficulty to get in? You mean you'd have to rank a reading group 1 or 2, so if you rank it 3 or higher and 10 other people ranked it 1 or 2, then poof it's full?

Pretty much. And you also have to remember that those preferencing slots have to be used for other courses too.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”