Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScratchableItch

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ScratchableItch » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:10 pm

ValeVale wrote:Any feedback on section 5 profs?

Rubenstein, Lazarus, Glendon, and Richman (visiting from Duke). Seems as tho Rubenstein is well regarded from a search on here, but any feedback would be great!

Lazarus is fantastic, but difficult. He is very theoretical in his approach to teaching torts, and it is often difficult to understand what the black letter rules of the law are. Focus on trying to understand overall trends in law and ideology in tort law, and get an outline.

ScratchableItch

Postby ScratchableItch » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Does anyone know what happened to the degree audit function in Helios?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:21 pm

This may have already been answered but in what cases is it better to rent than buy or buy than rent? (textbooks)

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:30 pm

ScratchableItch wrote:Does anyone know what happened to the degree audit function in Helios?

It wasn't consistently accurate so it was removed.

ChemEng1642 wrote:This may have already been answered but in what cases is it better to rent than buy or buy than rent? (textbooks)

Personally, I'd only rather rent if the cost savings is significant. I always forget to ship them back, and even when I remember it's annoying to have to walk all the way to UPS with the books to do it.

Legal Eagle87

???

Postby Legal Eagle87 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:52 pm

???
Last edited by Legal Eagle87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:30 pm

Legal Eagle87 wrote:It's pretty well known people going for feeder CoA clerkships need magna+ grades.
But I was just told that even federal district court judges in EDNY & SDNY want ~magna. Cum Laude + a prof going to bat for you won't cut it?

There are too many variables for blanket statements like this ever to be accurate. I know many people without magna with clerkships on those courts, various CsoA, etc.

Legal Eagle87

???

Postby Legal Eagle87 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:24 am

???
Last edited by Legal Eagle87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:32 am

skimmed some of the most popular tls guides for 1L and many recommend getting supplements and reading them alongside the casebook. any opinions on this? or are supplements something you shouldnt buy until after classes start...? just trying to get a handle on what i should already own before school begins :|

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:06 am

Legal Eagle87 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Take classes you like.

It sounds flippant, but "marketability" isn't really a thing outside a few key classes, and most people find grades easier to obtain in classes they genuinely enjoy.

Ok so forget about marketability as a criterion. Judging solely by where it's easiest to obtain good grades, what are some classes/professors to chase, and what are some to avoid?

You could try the ones that students have marked "Easy H" on Dope.

foxes wrote:skimmed some of the most popular tls guides for 1L and many recommend getting supplements and reading them alongside the casebook. any opinions on this? or are supplements something you shouldnt buy until after classes start...? just trying to get a handle on what i should already own before school begins :|

Supplements will be more like traditional textbooks, so they are helpful in that regard. In some ways they are more useful than the casebook for understanding the class as a whole. But you won't have time to read everything anyway, so you'll have to pick your battles.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:27 am

foxes wrote:skimmed some of the most popular tls guides for 1L and many recommend getting supplements and reading them alongside the casebook. any opinions on this? or are supplements something you shouldnt buy until after classes start...? just trying to get a handle on what i should already own before school begins :|

I definitely found them to be very helpful. But I would wait to purchase until you start the class, and also I would talk to the professor or a prior student about which one(s) were most helpful, because that does vary by class, professor, and supplement. It would be silly to purchase just the E&E for every class, or just the Glannon, etc.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:29 am

TripTrip wrote:
Legal Eagle87 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Take classes you like.

It sounds flippant, but "marketability" isn't really a thing outside a few key classes, and most people find grades easier to obtain in classes they genuinely enjoy.

Ok so forget about marketability as a criterion. Judging solely by where it's easiest to obtain good grades, what are some classes/professors to chase, and what are some to avoid?

You could try the ones that students have marked "Easy H" on Dope.

Supplements will be more like traditional textbooks, so they are helpful in that regard. In some ways they are more useful than the casebook for understanding the class as a whole. But you won't have time to read everything anyway, so you'll have to pick your battles.

Your mileage may vary on supplements, too. I know some people with great grades who relied on supplements and some people with great grades who never looked at a supplement.

1L can be hard because the best advice is "do your own thing" but there's no outside assessment about whether your strategy is paying off until after the semester is over.

Just remember that effort is a necessary but not sufficient requirement for good grades. Reading all the supplements could help you, but generally doing extra work because of nervous energy is suboptimal. If I were you (and I was), I would wait until midway through the semester and get supplements for the courses I was having trouble grasping the big picture on. I think supplements are most helpful for when you can't see the forest for the trees.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:36 am

Agreed.

The best way I ever used supplements was half way thorough the semester getting together a group of classmates and trying to complete the E&E questions for the topic we were on that week. It was super helpful to see how others worked through the problem, even though I usually only study by myself.

But that wasn't a necessary thing to do, nor did everyone do that.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:32 am

Legal Eagle87 wrote:It's pretty well known people going for feeder CoA clerkships need magna+ grades.
But I was just told that even federal district court judges in EDNY & SDNY want ~magna. Cum Laude + a prof going to bat for you won't cut it?

...Fred? Is that you?

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 pm

thanks for the advice! about this:

lawschool22 wrote:I would talk to the professor or a prior student about which one(s) were most helpful, because that does vary by class, professor, and supplement. It would be silly to purchase just the E&E for every class, or just the Glannon, etc.

is it ok to just go up to a prof and ask which supplements he/she recommends? i dont know, maybe im still stuck in ug mentality but is that...rude...? :oops: like youre telling them that their required materials arent enough lol

KaNa1986

Postby KaNa1986 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:46 pm

pupshaw wrote:

There are too many variables for blanket statements like this ever to be accurate. I know many people without magna with clerkships on those courts, various CsoA, etc.

There are two things to keep in mind regarding clerkship: 1) not all cum laude are the same, there are 3.9s and there are 3.5s; 2) people interested in corporate almost always pass up on clerkship.

Most people at HLS who get non-feeder CoA, NDCA, SDNY, etc. are regular cum laude. 1/4-1/2 of magna cum laude grads do not clerk. Non-feeder CoA judges in DC, 2nd, and 9th Circuits generally want to see magna or top 15% (which is around 3.85). Top 30% is sufficient for non-feeder CoA, NDCA, SDNY grade-wise. Getting an Article 3 clerkship from HLS is not as difficult as people on TLS makes it seem. Almost everyone interested in corporate, including top 15% graduates and people on Law Review, pass up on clerkship, which takes a large number of people with good grades and credentials out from the pool of competitors for clerkship.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:47 pm

foxes wrote:thanks for the advice! about this:

lawschool22 wrote:I would talk to the professor or a prior student about which one(s) were most helpful, because that does vary by class, professor, and supplement. It would be silly to purchase just the E&E for every class, or just the Glannon, etc.

is it ok to just go up to a prof and ask which supplements he/she recommends? i dont know, maybe im still stuck in ug mentality but is that...rude...? :oops: like youre telling them that their required materials arent enough lol

That's a totally fine thing to do.

asdlfjsafn

Postby asdlfjsafn » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:15 pm

On Canvas it says my 1L section has an allotted weekly meeting time. What happens in these weekly meetings and are they mandatory?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:31 pm

asdlfjsafn wrote:On Canvas it says my 1L section has an allotted weekly meeting time. What happens in these weekly meetings and are they mandatory?

You'll probably just have one during orientation, and that will be it.

Unless they've changed something.

taks7

Postby taks7 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Anyone willing to share their experiences with Prof Jon Hanson and/or Prof Gerald Frug?

I've done some research through this thread already, but was wondering if there are more current reviews.

Thanks!

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:23 pm

taks7 wrote:Anyone willing to share their experiences with Prof Jon Hanson and/or Prof Gerald Frug?

I've done some research through this thread already, but was wondering if there are more current reviews.

Thanks!

Frug. Very interesting guy, an entertaining professor. A lot of reading. I personally basically stopped reading after a while. His exam is an eight hour take-home, but only two questions, and each question has a 1,000-word limit. I know that probably means nothing to you yet, but that is VERY short. This means that for as much time as he spends talking about "arguing both sides" during class, on the exam you have to speak definitively. It basically ends up being a straightforward issue spotter and application of black letter law. So try to learn that, and don't focus on the details of each case.

He had the best speech on the last day of class. Pretty sure he made some people tear up. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many people (myself included) followed his advice this week at EIP ;).

despina

Postby despina » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:08 am

TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote:thanks for the advice! about this:

That's a totally fine thing to do.

Agreed that it's totally fine. However, most of my 1L profs explicitly recommended against using supplements, so they probably would not have been very helpful. The ones who did recommend them had them listed in the syllabus as optional additional reading.

ValeVale wrote:Any feedback on section 5 profs?

Rubenstein, Lazarus, Glendon, and Richman (visiting from Duke). Seems as tho Rubenstein is well regarded from a search on here, but any feedback would be great!

Rubenstein is excellent. He has his teaching "shtick" that doesn't vary much, year-to-year, and is very effective. The only drawback, if you could call it that, is that his curve is probably very tough because unlike in most civ pro sections, all your classmates actually understand what's going on. Outside of class, he works with a lot of students as RA's, but has a reputation of being clear that he's not interested being especially "close" / not wanting to "be your friend."

For some insight into his past / HLS, this is a real tearjerker -- unfortunately none of this comes up in class: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/org ... benste.pdf

foxes

Postby foxes » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:47 am

despina wrote:
For some insight into his past / HLS, this is a real tearjerker -- unfortunately none of this comes up in class: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/org ... benste.pdf

Thanks so much for posting that article. Wow :cry: incredible read.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:03 am

despina wrote:
Rubenstein is excellent. He has his teaching "shtick" that doesn't vary much, year-to-year, and is very effective. The only drawback, if you could call it that, is that his curve is probably very tough because unlike in most civ pro sections, all your classmates actually understand what's going on. Outside of class, he works with a lot of students as RA's, but has a reputation of being clear that he's not interested being especially "close" / not wanting to "be your friend."

Rubenstein will teach you civ pro - I wouldn't expect anything from him beyond that, but you will know civ pro.

He cold calls based on who has a connection to the case - it's usually geographic. (For instance, I went to undergrad in New York, so I got cold called on a case from New York.) Sometimes he gets a little creative (he called on a div school joint degree candidate for a case involving an "act of god" in my section), but it's usually very predictable and you're usually only cold called only once per semester. If you have a connection to North Carolina, there's a good chance you'll get cold called for the first case.

His exam is closed hard-drive, but you can bring a physical outline. It's extremely straight forward and tends to cover the same issues from year to year, so I highly recommend practice tests (moreso than usual - the focus of your studying should be taking as many of his practice tests as possible). This also means there are fantastic outlines already out there, so I wouldn't waste time making your own, but rather finding one that works for you, updating it as necessary, and spending your study time learning how to use it very quickly.

(And highly seconding that article, my friends and I learned about it when we were out at a bar and were just all sitting there quietly reading it on our phones)

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:26 pm

TripTrip wrote:
asdlfjsafn wrote:On Canvas it says my 1L section has an allotted weekly meeting time. What happens in these weekly meetings and are they mandatory?

Manning' section 4 years ago met during this time about every other week during the semester, and it was mandatory. It was usually career-related guest speakers, but at least one was about preparing for finals.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:41 pm

tomwatts wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Manning' section 4 years ago met during this time about every other week during the semester, and it was mandatory. It was usually career-related guest speakers, but at least one was about preparing for finals.

Ah yes, now that you mention the career speakers I do remember them.

For our section, everyone went the first week and every time after that about a quarter of the section showed up. Every other week sounds right.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”