Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
foxes

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby foxes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:59 pm

polareagle wrote:
foxes wrote:im looking at the 2015-16 academic calendar and noticed this:

December 11-18, 2015 1L Fall Term Exam Period
December 14-22, 2015 Upper-level Fall Term Exam Period
December 23, 2015-January 3, 2016 Winter Break

does this mean 1Ls get to have winter break from the 18/19 to the 3? or is there something going on on campus after the 1L exam period that we have to be on campus for? would love to know in advance so i can buy plane tickets to go home over break

You should be done by the 18th since you won't have any upper-level classes this semester.
However, you might want to wait until you have your actual classes (or even until you get your syllabi).
For all you know, your exams could all be 8-hour take homes, in which case you could go home at the beginning of the period and work at home (if that works for you).
Alternately, some professors are pretty relaxed and will let you do an exam on any day during exam period.

thanks!

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:57 pm

wonka wrote:How bicycle friendly are Cambridge and Boston? Does anyone have experience cycling out there, either for transportation/commuting or just exercise?

I have a great bike that I looove but I wonder if it's worth shipping or if it will end up being a pain in my butt. I'll be living in North and I wonder if there's anywhere safe to park it, etc.

There are a lot of bike lanes and many bikers. Pretty sure there are bike racks at North but someone who lived there may want to chime in.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Anyone know anything about Su for Local Government?

Thanks!

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Is it good or bad (or neutral/impossible to predict) to have visiting professors? I'm looking through my section's profs and there seem to be quite a few.
Last edited by foxes on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:04 pm

foxes wrote:Is it good or bad (or neutral/impossible to predict) to have visiting professors? I'm looking through my section's profs and there seem to be quite a few.

Depends on how much you like outlines.

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:07 pm

TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote:Is it good or bad (or neutral/impossible to predict) to have visiting professors? I'm looking through my section's profs and there seem to be quite a few.

Haha, then I guess the pertinent q would be whether it's generally easy to get outlines from students at other schools

Edit: and does anyone have any opinions on Mann or Bar-Gill?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:16 pm

foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Haha, then I guess the pertinent q would be whether it's generally easy to get outlines from students at other schools

One of my favorite profs was visiting. I didn't have trouble getting outlines from the other school, but he had changed the course up a bit anyway. Regardless, I am a big believer that you should make your own outlines, so that concern may not matter to you.

tonysoprano

Postby tonysoprano » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Anyone have any preference on textbook rental companies, or just go for the cheapest one with an acceptable return date?

chicky

Postby chicky » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:11 pm

politics89 wrote:Anyone know anything about Su for Local Government?

Thanks!

He's visiting in the fall, right? Su's specialty is the intersection of local gov and immigration and Frug (who assigned some of Su's work) said to expect his class to have a focus on that. If that doesn't sound like something you're into, might be worth taking local gov with Frug instead (although he's pretty . . . out there). Feel free to DM if you have specific questions.

m_ross

Postby m_ross » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:27 pm

foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I took Law, Economics and Psych with Bar-Gill and thought he was great. Also, people I know who had him for contracts also really liked him.

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:13 pm

m_ross wrote:
foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I took Law, Economics and Psych with Bar-Gill and thought he was great. Also, people I know who had him for contracts also really liked him.

nice, thanks! :D

another silly question: what paper notebooks do ppl use in classes where laptops arent allowed? is one single subject notebook enough for per class? or do you need one of those massive 5 subject notebooks per class. i dont think ive taken notes by hand for 5-6 years, so im a bit clueless (and taken aback that laptops arent allowed)

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:33 pm

By far the majority of my 1L classes were no laptops. I did a single 5 section notebook per semester: 1 section per course. That works out to about 1 full page (front and back) of notes per class. It's a good system if you can take concise notes, which you should strive to do.

itsanemily

Postby itsanemily » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:52 pm

For classes that don't allow laptops, have students been allowed to take notes on a tablet (e.g. an iPad)?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:57 pm

itsanemily wrote:For classes that don't allow laptops, have students been allowed to take notes on a tablet (e.g. an iPad)?

Not unless it's a disability accommodation.

itsanemily

Postby itsanemily » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:
itsanemily wrote:For classes that don't allow laptops, have students been allowed to take notes on a tablet (e.g. an iPad)?

Not unless it's a disability accommodation.

Ah well. No disability; just aiming to cut down on paper notes as much as possible. :lol:
Last edited by itsanemily on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:24 pm

foxes wrote:
m_ross wrote:
foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

nice, thanks! :D

another silly question: what paper notebooks do ppl use in classes where laptops arent allowed? is one single subject notebook enough for per class? or do you need one of those massive 5 subject notebooks per class. i dont think ive taken notes by hand for 5-6 years, so im a bit clueless (and taken aback that laptops arent allowed)

I personally love this: http://www.amazon.com/NoteBinder-1-5-In ... B003OCQSB6
I bought one at the beginning of law school, stuck 5 dividers in, and have used it every semester. My incentive to not overdo the notes is that if I do, this thing will get pretty heavy. If it becomes too heavy to lug around, then you know you're writing down too much. Also, with this thing I never have to worry about buying more notebooks or forgetting the appropriate notebook at home--I just buy a ream of paper and keep the notebook in my bag and I'm set for the year.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:17 am

where do most people park on campus?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:29 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:where do most people park on campus?

They don't. Where are you commuting from?

ValeVale

Postby ValeVale » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:36 am

Last edited by ValeVale on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am

Pneumonia wrote:

Like 15 min away

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

Like 15 min away

If you want to park on campus, you'll need to buy a parking permit, which is around $1,500 a year, I think.

If you want to park near campus, you'll need a Cambridge resident parking permit, which is $15 or $20, I can't remember at the moment. You should normally be able to find a spot not too far away. But you can only get this permit if you live in Cambridge.

S.Lee2018

Postby S.Lee2018 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Anyone wants to sell Civil Procedure: A Coursebook by Glannon please PM me. Cannot even find a used one with reasonable price ... Thanks in advance!

foxes

Postby foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:21 pm

speaking of textbooks, is it smarter to go ahead and order them now or wait until orientation week? or when classes start?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

Like 15 min away

I live several miles away from campus, own a car, and do not drive to (or park on) campus. Its expensive, and a hassle. One or two people from my section drove, but I think in general you need to get there fairly early to find a spot. If there is public transit from the area in which you're living, or if you're within walking distance, I'd strongly consider transit+walking+uber. Its easier, and might end up being cheaper. At least that's my take.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”