Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Indifference

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Indifference » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:17 am

pylon wrote:When do we get "HLS Me" credentials?
Harvard Library Website wrote: Your HLS Me account (also known as your LDAP account) is not the same as your HUID and PIN. It is generally used for resources that are limited to HLS affiliates. [See screenshot below for HLS Me login.]

As a general rule, your HLS Me username and password are similar to your email username and password. For example:

If your HLS email is: jdoe@jd16.law.harvard.edu, your HLS Me username is: jdoe.jd16 and your password is the password you use to access your HLS email account.
If your HLS email is: jdoe@law.harvard.edu, your HLS Me username is: jdoe and your password is the password you use to log into your HLS computer account.

If the above examples do not work for you, it is possible you have not yet claimed your HLS Me account or your HLS Me account was set up differently for some reason. More information about your HLS Me account is available online at:

Harvard Law School staff accounts: http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/admini ... ounts.html

Harvard Law School student accounts: http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/admini ... ounts.html

If you continue to have difficulty gaining access using your HLS Me username and password, you should contact the IT Help Desk (x5-0722).

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:53 am

mujiali wrote:
Harvard Library Website wrote: Your HLS Me account (also known as your LDAP account) is not the same as your HUID and PIN. It is generally used for resources that are limited to HLS affiliates. [See screenshot below for HLS Me login.]

As a general rule, your HLS Me username and password are similar to your email username and password. For example:

If your HLS email is: jdoe@jd16.law.harvard.edu, your HLS Me username is: jdoe.jd16 and your password is the password you use to access your HLS email account.
If your HLS email is: jdoe@law.harvard.edu, your HLS Me username is: jdoe and your password is the password you use to log into your HLS computer account.

If the above examples do not work for you, it is possible you have not yet claimed your HLS Me account or your HLS Me account was set up differently for some reason. More information about your HLS Me account is available online at:

Harvard Law School staff accounts: http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/admini ... ounts.html

Harvard Law School student accounts: http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/admini ... ounts.html

If you continue to have difficulty gaining access using your HLS Me username and password, you should contact the IT Help Desk (x5-0722).
That's how the account names are formed, but IT still has to send out HLS Me claim codes before the accounts are active.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:56 am

TripTrip wrote:
mujiali wrote:

That's how the account names are formed, but IT still has to send out HLS Me claim codes before the accounts are active.

I see. My bad! :)

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'll wait for the e-mail from IT with the claim code.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:15 am

Weird hypo here, so bear with me.

HLS reduces grant aid after you surpass the max summer income limit, claiming ~90% of your income beyond the limit. This means that a SA at a firm can wipe out grant aid pretty effectively. But HLS does not reduce grant aid when you receive a scholarship. Would it be crazy/impossible to ask a firm to pay you the max rate under HLS summer income policy, and then have them provide the remainder of your normal pay in the form of a scholarship after the summer is over, thereby circumventing the summer income limit and saving your grant?

Won't apply to me, probably, just curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:44 am

mujiali wrote:Weird hypo here, so bear with me.

HLS reduces grant aid after you surpass the max summer income limit, claiming ~90% of your income beyond the limit. This means that a SA at a firm can wipe out grant aid pretty effectively. But HLS does not reduce grant aid when you receive a scholarship. Would it be crazy/impossible to ask a firm to pay you the max rate under HLS summer income policy, and then have them provide the remainder of your normal pay in the form of a scholarship after the summer is over, thereby circumventing the summer income limit and saving your grant?

Won't apply to me, probably, just curious.
1) Firms won't do that. Even if they did, Harvard would change its policy to treat that as income. The system only works because biglaw SAs don't get grant aid.*

2) HLS already does factor scholarships in financial aid calculations. They start by reducing loan eligibility, but will also reduce your grant if the scholarship is large enough. They'll even cut financial aid based on reception of military tuition assistance. Sometimes they're not very clear that this is what is happening, but it's there.

*Or, more sneakily, you give nearly all 3Ls an insubstantial grant and all the substantial grants to the 1Ls and 2Ls. Then you can claim: "70% of students are receiving a grant and the median grant is $16,000." In addition, you can then present prospective 1Ls with large packages that you know will only be relevant for the first two years.
Last edited by TripTrip on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks. Figured it was something like that.

ManOurHouseisGreat

New

Post by ManOurHouseisGreat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Should we RSVP to firm reception invites to tell them we aren't planning on attending, or is it okay to just stay silent?

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:49 pm

ManOurHouseisGreat wrote:Should we RSVP to firm reception invites to tell them we aren't planning on attending, or is it okay to just stay silent?
Assuming (1) that you haven't already RSVP'd yes and (2) that it doesn't say "regrets only" (it won't), then just stay silent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:02 pm

How do I know if I REALLY want to be a lawyer?

What would be a good question to ask myself?

What motivated you guys to want to become a lawyer?

Would it be the wrong decision to make if I am gravitating toward this profession b/c of its job stability, income, prestige, intellectual work?

Does every law school student at Harvard have noble reasons they want to be a lawyer (love of law, justice etc)?

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:25 am

One of the things people say about HLS is that there are always so many events, speakers, panels, etc. offered (with food aha). How do y'all keep track?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:33 am

pylon wrote:One of the things people say about HLS is that there are always so many events, speakers, panels, etc. offered (with food aha). How do y'all keep track?
Hlsdope.org

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Neat, thanks! Never seen that before.

Is there anyway to export that calendar (or the HLS Master Calendar) to your HLS e-mail, but have it update automatically?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:36 pm

pylon wrote:Neat, thanks! Never seen that before.

Is there anyway to export that calendar (or the HLS Master Calendar) to your HLS e-mail, but have it update automatically?
Yes.

Legal Eagle87

New

???

Post by Legal Eagle87 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:50 pm

???
Last edited by Legal Eagle87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:34 pm

Take classes you like.

It sounds flippant, but "marketability" isn't really a thing outside a few key classes, and most people find grades easier to obtain in classes they genuinely enjoy.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Do corporate people take classes at HBS much?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:39 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Do corporate people take classes at HBS much?
This is done, yes. I wouldn't say it's super common, but it's by no means unheard of. Some people have good experiences, but bear in mind that HBS is quite different from HLS in culture and pedagogy, so it's an adjustment.

Also the cross-registration process involves enough paperwork to kill a person.

But if you find something you're interested in, by all means go for it.

Kluge

New

Post by Kluge » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:04 am

When do 1L summer positions generally start? I'm trying to plan a week and a half long trip overseas to see some good friends I have not seen in far too long. I'd leave 3 or 4 days after exams end. Am I being naïve in thinking that I can find a position with a June start date or that most places would be willing to work with me and let me start in late May or early June?

mino

New

Post by mino » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:17 am

Kluge wrote:When do 1L summer positions generally start? I'm trying to plan a week and a half long trip overseas to see some good friends I have not seen in far too long. I'd leave 3 or 4 days after exams end. Am I being naïve in thinking that I can find a position with a June start date or that most places would be willing to work with me and let me start in late May or early June?
Varies dramatically depending on the job that you have. I know people who got on a plane the day exams finished and started working the following Monday and I know people who had two weeks off and had a June start date. Start dates are also negotiable sometimes depending on the job that you're taking.

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Kluge wrote:When do 1L summer positions generally start? I'm trying to plan a week and a half long trip overseas to see some good friends I have not seen in far too long. I'd leave 3 or 4 days after exams end. Am I being naïve in thinking that I can find a position with a June start date or that most places would be willing to work with me and let me start in late May or early June?
A lot of people I know started between May 17, May 25, or June 1ish (all rough dates, might fall on a weekend). Bear in mind that the HLR writing competition is the week right after finals, May 17ish-May 23. Most important of all, it all depends on the employer. But, I would say if you don't do HLR write-on, it's perfectly reasonable to book the trip that week, right after finals are over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kluge

New

Post by Kluge » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:15 pm

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:15 pm

im looking at the 2015-16 academic calendar and noticed this:
December 11-18, 2015 1L Fall Term Exam Period
December 14-22, 2015 Upper-level Fall Term Exam Period
December 23, 2015-January 3, 2016 Winter Break
does this mean 1Ls get to have winter break from the 18/19 to the 3? or is there something going on on campus after the 1L exam period that we have to be on campus for? would love to know in advance so i can buy plane tickets to go home over break

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:40 pm

foxes wrote:im looking at the 2015-16 academic calendar and noticed this:
December 11-18, 2015 1L Fall Term Exam Period
December 14-22, 2015 Upper-level Fall Term Exam Period
December 23, 2015-January 3, 2016 Winter Break
does this mean 1Ls get to have winter break from the 18/19 to the 3? or is there something going on on campus after the 1L exam period that we have to be on campus for? would love to know in advance so i can buy plane tickets to go home over break
You should be done by the 18th since you won't have any upper-level classes this semester.
However, you might want to wait until you have your actual classes (or even until you get your syllabi).
For all you know, your exams could all be 8-hour take homes, in which case you could go home at the beginning of the period and work at home (if that works for you).
Alternately, some professors are pretty relaxed and will let you do an exam on any day during exam period.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”