Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
heythatslife

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by heythatslife » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 pm

mujiali wrote:Sorry for the double post, but this is unrelated. Just wondering if nerves are normal... With orientation approaching I find myself increasingly nervous. Not really the type to be nervous about this kind of stuff, so it's disconcerting. :oops:
It's totally normal. Pretty much everyone feels this way going in. Remember to try to have fun, and you'll get the hang of it.

LS2515

New

Post by LS2515 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 pm

codyoneill wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Wondering how/when I see who made LR. Didn't write the comp; just wondering who to congratulate/console. Does the Review put up masthead anytime soon?
Volume 130

Zaki Anwar

Ahson Azmat

Kaitlin Beach

Amanda Brown-Inz

Jacob Chefitz

Chris Danello

Avishai Don

Colin Doyle

Andrew Ferguson

Kayla G. Ferguson

Will Ferraro

Katie Flanagan

Ben Gifford

Joseph Goldstein

Carys Golesworthy

Timothy Goh

Josh Halpern

Carys Johnson

Helen Klein

Gabe Krimm

Maria Lacayo

Andrew Lewis

Alex Miller

Courtney Millian

Cassie Mitchell

Greg Muren

Alexander Pettingell

Michael Scott Proctor

John Rady

Mollie Reiss

Nick Ruge

Cody Rutowski

Max Schulman

Alicia Solow-Niederman

Max Straus

Hywote Taye

Maia Usui

Trenton Van Oss

Kisho Watanabe

Daniel G. West

Steven Wilfong

Jing Yan

Michael Ye

Chris Young

Mengjie Zou

Michael Zuckerman

Are there particularly demographics especially represented? Sections? Student organizations? Political persuasions? Anybody know who are the two Sears?

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:48 pm

LS2515 wrote: Are there particularly demographics especially represented? Sections? Student organizations? Political persuasions? Anybody know who are the two Sears?
The Sears prize winners are not public. And Section 5 has 9 editors, a slightly high number (46/7=6.5) Other sections may also be disproportionately high.

Bnbsfan

New

Post by Bnbsfan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:50 am

I didn't attempt to write on to HLR- but congratulations to those who were chosen- and my condolences to those who weren't.

charlie.black

Bronze

Post by charlie.black » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:14 am

hala section 5!! and I understand one of the Sears is in 5 as well 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:58 am

I think there's a married couple, so that's pretty cool

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 am

mujiali wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
mujiali wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Nooooooo I need to get some medical Qs answered but Connie is out for like 2 weeks...is there anyone else I could contact?
Did you try calling Health Services directly? (not being snide, genuinely wondering). Also who is Connie?
No haven't called yet - but no response from the general email. Guess I should do that...Connie was my point of contact from Health Services
Ahh, gotcha. Go ahead and call - they were super responsive when I did that earlier.
I just called them and got the voicemail that ALL of the law school health services is closed until August :(. They recommended calling either the main Health Services if it was urgent or the Business School Health Services. Which health services did you end up calling?

Woghks1988

New

Post by Woghks1988 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:17 am

Hey all, seeking some rather urgent help:

I've had to cancel my reservation for a Gropius dorm room (Ames 227-A1) and need to find a replacement. Until I find a replacement, I'll have to pay rent for an empty room. Is there anywhere I can go to post info etc. and hurry the process along? In the wake of what probably wasn't the wisest decision, any help would be a godsend.

mino

New

Post by mino » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:37 am

Does anyone know the deadline for BSA people to accept their offers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mino

New

Post by mino » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:39 am

Woghks1988 wrote:Hey all, seeking some rather urgent help:

I've had to cancel my reservation for a Gropius dorm room (Ames 227-A1) and need to find a replacement. Until I find a replacement, I'll have to pay rent for an empty room. Is there anywhere I can go to post info etc. and hurry the process along? In the wake of what probably wasn't the wisest decision, any help would be a godsend.
I'd post on the Facebook 2018 page and see if you can get any bites there. I know Harvard sometimes takes a couple waitlisters super late in the process so if you can get to those people they may be looking still.

Good luck!

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:46 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:
mujiali wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
mujiali wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Nooooooo I need to get some medical Qs answered but Connie is out for like 2 weeks...is there anyone else I could contact?
Did you try calling Health Services directly? (not being snide, genuinely wondering). Also who is Connie?
No haven't called yet - but no response from the general email. Guess I should do that...Connie was my point of contact from Health Services
Ahh, gotcha. Go ahead and call - they were super responsive when I did that earlier.
I just called them and got the voicemail that ALL of the law school health services is closed until August :(. They recommended calling either the main Health Services if it was urgent or the Business School Health Services. Which health services did you end up calling?
Main health services.

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:20 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:56 pm

mino wrote:Does anyone know the deadline for BSA people to accept their offers?
It's today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:11 pm

So I'm packing up my apartment soon, and I was wondering- will I need pots and pans in Gropius? What about silverware and tupperware? What do the kitchens there come equipped with?

Also, is the "no coffee makers in the rooms" rule actually enforced, or do people sneak them in? Where do I get coffee is what I'm really asking.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:14 pm

wonka wrote:Does anyone know at what point deferral becomes no longer an option? I've done everything requires for enrollment up to this point, including signing a contract for a dorm, but I've had some things come up and it seems like holding off one year might make a lot of sense. I can't seem to find a hard cutoff date on any of the webpages. Is deferral even a possibility at this point? TYIA.
I'm pretty sure you can take a leave of absence at basically any time for basically any reason, so if you're sure that you want to attend but don't want to attend this year, you can do that. The only question is whether you owe HLS any money for the school year. I presume that one of the following three will know what to do: SFS, DOS, or the Registrar.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:19 pm

leslieknope wrote:So I'm packing up my apartment soon, and I was wondering- will I need pots and pans in Gropius? What about silverware and tupperware? What do the kitchens there come equipped with?

Also, is the "no coffee makers in the rooms" rule actually enforced, or do people sneak them in? Where do I get coffee is what I'm really asking.
1. Pots and pans are in the kitchens. They're often dirty, so you'll have to wash them, so if you don't want to deal with that you could bring your own if you wanted.

2. Bring silverware and tupperware. There's some of that in the kitchens but I wouldn't use it. (Too unreliable.) I'd bring a plate and a bowl, too.

3. You can use a coffee maker in the kitchens. You're just not supposed to use them in your rooms. Any odd thing that you want to cook with, you can just bring to the kitchen (rice cooker, etc). (You might not want to leave it in the kitchen after you're done cooking, though.)

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Does anyone here have experience with either getting a uHaul or professional moving service on Broadway? I know about the moving permit - but it's kind of hard to do that when the moving services gives you a window of when they deliver. I'm also not even 100% sure the truck would fit on the street without blocking an entire lane...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:47 pm

leslieknope wrote:So I'm packing up my apartment soon, and I was wondering- will I need pots and pans in Gropius? What about silverware and tupperware? What do the kitchens there come equipped with?

There is free coffee around campus if you wake up early enough (lol) and in the library or you can buy it at one of the food places on campus (or at sbux across the street)

No one will care if you have a coffee maker / microwave / etc. in your room. Gropius is tiny tho.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:08 pm

PMan99 wrote:No one will care if you have a coffee maker / microwave / etc. in your room. Gropius is tiny tho.
+1, but fwiw I don't know of anyone who kept a coffee maker in their room.

AnMzungu

Bronze

Post by AnMzungu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Can someone tell me a little bit about the university's gym(s)?

Is it all machines, or are there free weights, squat rack, etc.?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:22 pm

AnMzungu wrote:Can someone tell me a little bit about the university's gym(s)?

Hemenway (the law school gym) website.

Yes, there is a wall of free weights. It's got roughly the same amenities as a like a Snap or LA fitness, or the small-style version of a LifeTime fitness.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm

AnMzungu wrote:Can someone tell me a little bit about the university's gym(s)?

There are two squat racks. They can get pretty crowded at peak times. Do deadlifts anywhere you can find floor space.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Gym is free right?

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Gym is free right?
Yes

Mack.Hambleton