Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschool22

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:56 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
Or just join the drama society anything and do all your drinking at house parties everywhere else.

gonna plug cambridge common here just because i have to

Do they give you a commission yet?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:06 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
Or just join the drama society anything and do all your drinking at house parties everywhere else.

gonna plug cambridge common here just because i have to

Do they give you a commission yet?

wish they had a frequent drinker card/club.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm gonna post this here rather than the EIP thread since it's pretty irrelevant, but are firm interview schedules posted publicly at all? Like, is there a list outside the rooms in the Charles that let you see which of your classmates are interviewing with the same firm?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:48 pm

robotrick wrote:I'm gonna post this here rather than the EIP thread since it's pretty irrelevant, but are firm interview schedules posted publicly at all? Like, is there a list outside the rooms in the Charles that let you see which of your classmates are interviewing with the same firm?

Yes. There is exactly that.

Blythe17

Postby Blythe17 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:19 pm

Can you get any academic credit for law review other than the fulfillment of the written work requirement (assuming it meets certain criteria, as per: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/academics/w ... q/#faq-1-1)?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:35 pm

Blythe17 wrote:Can you get any academic credit for law review other than the fulfillment of the written work requirement (assuming it meets certain criteria, as per: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/academics/w ... q/#faq-1-1)?

No, and not for lack of petitioning the administration.

Blythe17

Postby Blythe17 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:50 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Blythe17 wrote:Can you get any academic credit for law review other than the fulfillment of the written work requirement (assuming it meets certain criteria, as per: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/academics/w ... q/#faq-1-1)?

I see. Though I don't dare presume that I will make law review, that's too bad. On a related note, how much would you estimate is the average amount of hours per week demanded by law review work? I'm sure it varies individually, but, say, around 10-20?

And say that it would be at least a 20 hrs/week commitment for you--would you have to be crazy not to do it in favor of spending more time on classes for better grades? If it were 10 hrs/week? Might it be a rational trade-off for some if it's true that, as this post suggests, that grades matter than law review for those pursuing academia: search.php?keywords=law+review+academic+credit&t=141188&sf=msgonly

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Blythe17 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I see. Though I don't dare presume that I will make law review, that's too bad. On a related note, how much would you estimate is the average amount of hours per week demanded by law review work? I'm sure it varies individually, but, say, around 10-20?

And say that it would be at least a 20 hrs/week commitment for you--would you have to be crazy not to do it in favor of spending more time on classes for better grades? If it were 10 hrs/week? Might it be a rational trade-off for some if it's true that, as this post suggests, that grades matter than law review for those pursuing academia: search.php?keywords=law+review+academic+credit&t=141188&sf=msgonly

Law review > good grades, so yes you would be crazy not to do it if you want academia. ph14 didn't list it first because it's easier to focus on grades than on getting on law review.

More importantly, good grades aren't guaranteed if you put in more time.

fozzie

Postby fozzie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks for all the work you've put into this thread.

I have a question that hasn't come up (as far as I can tell). How do timelines shift for joint degree students? For example, take the HLR competition or EIP, both of which usually happen 1L summer. Would both still happen 1L summer if you planned to spend the next year (i.e., the year your 1L classmates become 2Ls) in another program? Or would you instead go through EIP just before 2L, whenever 2L happens to be for you? And so on.

I imagine there's no one answer to this. There are lots of ways to be different. But I'd love to know how things tend to work. Thanks in advance!

hop

Postby hop » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 pm

fozzie wrote:I have a question that hasn't come up (as far as I can tell). How do timelines shift for joint degree students? For example, take the HLR competition or EIP, both of which usually happen 1L summer. Would both still happen 1L summer if you planned to spend the next year (i.e., the year your 1L classmates become 2Ls) in another program? Or would you instead go through EIP just before 2L, whenever 2L happens to be for you? And so on.

There are some restrictions on eip bidding for joint degree students - see this blog post:
https://blogs.law.harvard.edu/hiregroun ... ipation-2/

Re. HLR, it's my understanding that you write the competition at the end of 1L regardless of your plans the following year. But then (I think) you wouldn't start working on the journal until the fall of your 2L year, so if you're registered at GSAS (or another Harvard school) the year after 1L, you woulnd't start at HLR until you come back to HLS. Though I'm not sure how it works if you study for a semester at GSAS and then come back to HLS in the spring...

despina

Postby despina » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:07 pm

fozzie wrote:Thanks for all the work you've put into this thread.

I have a question that hasn't come up (as far as I can tell). How do timelines shift for joint degree students? For example, take the HLR competition or EIP, both of which usually happen 1L summer. Would both still happen 1L summer if you planned to spend the next year (i.e., the year your 1L classmates become 2Ls) in another program? Or would you instead go through EIP just before 2L, whenever 2L happens to be for you? And so on.

I imagine there's no one answer to this. There are lots of ways to be different. But I'd love to know how things tend to work. Thanks in advance!

Sadly, in law school, there aren't always "lots of ways to be different."

According to the HLR website:

Harvard Law School students who are interested in joining the Review must write the competition at the end of their 1L year, even if they plan to take time off during law school or are pursuing a joint degree and plan to spend time at another Harvard graduate school

I think most joint degree students do EIP after 1L, though I'm not sure if it's required.

[edit: scooped!]

tombobadil

Postby tombobadil » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Say you are enrolled in a summer class as a 1l ( so very 1st course-head start kinda thing) and hate where you are at. Then you suddenly get a call from another school, higher ranking and more money what can you do?

Withdraw - cancel and then accept the new one ?

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:32 pm

tombobadil wrote:Say you are enrolled in a summer class as a 1l ( so very 1st course-head start kinda thing) and hate where you are at. Then you suddenly get a call from another school, higher ranking and more money what can you do?

What

tombobadil

Postby tombobadil » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Ill try and rephrase.

Some schools offer summer classes for incomimg 1Ls

So you accept, reserve your seat , choose the option to start early... Follow?

Then out of the blue you have another offer come up. A school you initially declined comes back to offer more scholarship money ?

Can you withdraw somehow from the school you taking your first class in and then accept the other offer which starts in the fall?

despina

Postby despina » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Not sure this is a Harvard question... unless the offer in question is from Harvard. Doesn't seem likely, though -- if someone had already turned down an offer from HLS, why would HLS go back to that student in mid-July with an offer for more aid, now that our medians are set, the class is full, and we have a huge waitlist worth of people willing to attend at full tuition?

But yes, of course you can withdraw and take the new offer. You just need to figure out how much tuition you're on the hook for -- that information should be available from your current school's financial services office. If it's a lot, and the new school really wants you, you could try negotiating for the new school to help reimburse you for the lost tuition.

tombobadil

Postby tombobadil » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Okay yea I'm sorry I didn't realize this was a post for only Harvard related issues. I'm just trying to figure out if i am going to get into trouble trying to jump back and forth.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:23 pm

tombobadil wrote:Say you are enrolled in a summer class as a 1l ( so very 1st course-head start kinda thing) and hate where you are at. Then you suddenly get a call from another school, higher ranking and more money what can you do?

Let's take it a step further: let's say you are enrolled at Columbia, and their term starts a week before Harvard's, and you get an offer from Harvard after fall term starts.

Yes, you can withdraw and accept the offer at Harvard. It happened to a handful my 1L year. Columbia hates it.

And you'll get financial aid from Harvard still.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 am

When is law review coming out?

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am

nothingtosee wrote:When is law review coming out?

Past TLS threads indicate that phone calls go out on the third Monday in July, which would be July 20 this year.

jasper09

Postby jasper09 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 pm

codyoneill wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:When is law review coming out?

Past TLS threads indicate that phone calls go out on the third Monday in July, which would be July 20 this year.

HLR's website says they anticipate calls will go out over the course of several days the week of July 20th.

ETA: on a related matter, does anyone know when BSA decisions come out? I think before HLR, but does anyone know how much earlier?

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:50 pm

did anyone read TLS guides to 1L/exam taking? if so, which in particular did you find helpful?

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:07 pm

foxes wrote:did anyone read TLS guides to 1L/exam taking? if so, which in particular did you find helpful?

I found it particularly helpful to take the summer off before law school and not wonder about exams.

But if you must know: I found participating in a study group, taking old exams, reading old exam answers, and creating my own outlines to be the most helpful strategy.

I don't think there's some kind of magic formula. Just make sure that you learn the material well, keep your notes and outline accessible during the exam, and know what your professors like to see on exams.

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:24 pm

codyoneill wrote:
foxes wrote:did anyone read TLS guides to 1L/exam taking? if so, which in particular did you find helpful?

I found it particularly helpful to take the summer off before law school and not wonder about exams.

But if you must know: I found participating in a study group, taking old exams, reading old exam answers, and creating my own outlines to be the most helpful strategy.

I don't think there's some kind of magic formula. Just make sure that you learn the material well, keep your notes and outline accessible during the exam, and know what your professors like to see on exams.

yeah, im not planning to really prep, but multiple threads have said that its a good idea to look at tls guides to get a general overview. thanks for the advice

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:25 pm

codyoneill wrote:

I'll adopt all the above. Know your professor, don't be afraid of supplements, make your own outlines, take practice exams and discuss in a study group.

All of that happens at the end of the semester. There is basically nothing you could do now to prepare that would be worth it. It's normal to be anxious about it, but codyoneill is right. Enjoy the time off. You will be glad you did.

despina

Postby despina » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:27 pm

lawschool22 wrote:All of that happens at the end of the semester. There is basically nothing you could do now to prepare that would be worth it. It's normal to be anxious about it, but codyoneill is right. Enjoy the time off. You will be glad you did.

Yes, this. Your results may vary, but I'm glad I didn't psych myself out at all before orientation with books / guides / anything really.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”