Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MyNameIsFlynn!

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Kobaine51 wrote:Lincoln's Inn Society, good time or only for goobers?

This comes up every year so search around if you want extensive discussion. Imo they have some fun events but a lot of tacky ones. Not worth the cost of membership

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:30 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

This comes up every year so search around if you want extensive discussion. Imo they have some fun events but a lot of tacky ones. Not worth the cost of membership

They're stuff is fun but you're probably not going to go to all of it, and you might hate it, so you probably oughtta just pay-by-event once the semester starts. Unless you just have extra money.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Way overpriced. I have never met anyone who got their money's worth.

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:they have some fun events but a lot of tacky ones

For the record, the tacky one IS the fun one.

foxes

Postby foxes » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:06 pm

did anyone in gropius actually get a mini fridge? i was thinking about it purely for convenience but dont plan on dorming for 2l or 3l, so it might be a waste

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:37 pm

foxes wrote:did anyone in gropius actually get a mini fridge? i was thinking about it purely for convenience but dont plan on dorming for 2l or 3l, so it might be a waste

Not living on campus, but a quick search came up with this... Have done zero research, so that may still be exorbitantly expensive. I dunno.

foxes

Postby foxes » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:43 pm

mujiali wrote:
foxes wrote:did anyone in gropius actually get a mini fridge? i was thinking about it purely for convenience but dont plan on dorming for 2l or 3l, so it might be a waste

Not living on campus, but a quick search came up with this... Have done zero research, so that may still be exorbitantly expensive. I dunno.

handbook says we cant have those in the law school dorms, those are only for the ug dorms i think. i was thinking more like a $60 one from walmart, haha

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:50 pm

foxes wrote:
mujiali wrote:

handbook says we cant have those in the law school dorms, those are only for the ug dorms i think. i was thinking more like a $60 one from walmart, haha

My bad then. :oops: Like I said hadn't really researched anything.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:10 am

I did for my 1L year, and ended up throwing it away afterward because storage & moving cost outweighed any potential value I might derive from keeping it or reselling it. Still worth it IMO, though, for convenience and peace of mind. Shit gets stolen from the communal fridges all the time.

foxes

Postby foxes » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:41 pm

heythatslife wrote:

I did for my 1L year, and ended up throwing it away afterward because storage & moving cost outweighed any potential value I might derive from keeping it or reselling it. Still worth it IMO, though, for convenience and peace of mind. Shit gets stolen from the communal fridges all the time.

ty, any recs for what size is best? i dont want one thats too heavy but id definitely at least like to keep some milk, oj, fruit, etc.

Blythe17

Postby Blythe17 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:13 pm

Question on books: can one get away with using most if not all of their casebooks (and whatever other required readings) in the form of e-books and just work on them on a laptop instead of lugging around 3 courses-worth of books every day? I've transitioned into basically solely using e-books in undergrad--it's much lighter, faster searching, faster/better note-taking, etc.--and would love to continue this if possible. I've read that some profs don't allow laptops in class (which strikes me as kind of absurd, tbh), which may be a problem. But are the required readings even available in e-books in the first place?

Thanks.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Blythe17 wrote:Question on books: can one get away with using most if not all of their casebooks (and whatever other required readings) in the form of e-books and just work on them on a laptop instead of lugging around 3 courses-worth of books every day? I've transitioned into basically solely using e-books in undergrad--it's much lighter, faster searching, faster/better note-taking, etc.--and would love to continue this if possible. I've read that some profs don't allow laptops in class (which strikes me as kind of absurd, tbh), which may be a problem. But are the required readings even available in e-books in the first place?

Thanks.

Well, the readings usually are, but the books are not. However, finding each case to read online, and finding the portion of it you're actually supposed to read, and not having the notes at the end, make this method not worth it to most students. LearnLeo is trying to solve this problem.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Blythe17 wrote:Question on books: can one get away with using most if not all of their casebooks (and whatever other required readings) in the form of e-books and just work on them on a laptop instead of lugging around 3 courses-worth of books every day? I've transitioned into basically solely using e-books in undergrad--it's much lighter, faster searching, faster/better note-taking, etc.--and would love to continue this if possible. I've read that some profs don't allow laptops in class (which strikes me as kind of absurd, tbh), which may be a problem. But are the required readings even available in e-books in the first place?

Thanks.

FWIW you probably will only have two classes a day, and if you live on campus it's often close enough to feasibly get your books after your first class, and if you live off campus you can get a locker.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:44 pm

how easy is it to park near campus? I'm probably gonna be living a ways away 1L

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:how easy is it to park near campus? I'm probably gonna be living a ways away 1L

If you have a Cambridge Parking Permit, you can easily park a few blocks from campus most days (but winter will be terrible and you may need to dig out a spot).

If you don't have a Cambridge Parking Permit, I have no idea.

despina

Postby despina » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:54 pm

I posted somewhere in this thread once or twice about my experience using a kindle (once, for the only textbook I ever found that it was available on).

Also, if you live off campus, get a locker. That will save your life, especially 1L, with the whole "carrying a zillion books around all day every day" struggle.

There has been some very recent discussion on this thread about parking near school. Basically if you have a Cambridge permit you're fine; if not, you're screwed. On main streets near campus, all parking is 2-hour meter, and on the side streets, it's Cambridge resident permit only. Campus lot permits are crazy expensive.

If you want to live far enough from school to save on rent, you need to be willing to walk and/or take public transit most days.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:04 am

foxes wrote:
heythatslife wrote:

ty, any recs for what size is best? i dont want one thats too heavy but id definitely at least like to keep some milk, oj, fruit, etc.

The largest size permissible in the dorms. Check the housing handbook for the current rule.

I had a mini-fridge while living in Gropius and man, it was a good thing to have.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:08 am

tomwatts wrote:
foxes wrote:
heythatslife wrote:

The largest size permissible in the dorms. Check the housing handbook for the current rule.

I had a mini-fridge while living in Gropius and man, it was a good thing to have.

i think the max size is 4 cubic feet, and id love to have a bigger fridge. my only concern is that itd be too heavy for me to handle when moving it in and out, haha. i looked up some of the fridges around that size and they were like ~60 lbs. i'll probably end up with something around half that size, but yeah, im definitely gonna go for a fridge

Orion311

Postby Orion311 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:20 pm

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/dos/student ... -policies/

So how closely do people adhere to this.... I don't know if my reading comprehension sucks or if this is actually saying you can't drink in your own home if you live on campus. Also, drinking games are prohibited? Seems a little harsh.

This whole housing handbook seems a little intense. I have to buy a bathrobe...?

foxes

Postby foxes » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Orion311 wrote:http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/dos/student-orgs/handbook-for-officers/alcohol-food-policies/

So how closely do people adhere to this.... I don't know if my reading comprehension sucks or if this is actually saying you can't drink in your own home if you live on campus. Also, drinking games are prohibited? Seems a little harsh.

This whole housing handbook seems a little intense. I have to buy a bathrobe...?

The following guidelines apply to all events, at all times and locations. If an event is held on-campus or if an event is held off-campus using law school funds, these guidelines apply.

i dont think theyre talking about drinking in your dorm or w/e, but i could be wrong

Orion311

Postby Orion311 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:12 pm

foxes wrote:
Orion311 wrote:http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/dos/student-orgs/handbook-for-officers/alcohol-food-policies/

The following guidelines apply to all events, at all times and locations. If an event is held on-campus or if an event is held off-campus using law school funds, these guidelines apply.

i dont think theyre talking about drinking in your dorm or w/e, but i could be wrong

Yep I skipped the intro section assuming it would just say "everyone has to comply with this or face consequences". I'm going to make a great lawyer :)

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:43 pm

There's no drinking games allowed in Gropius. The hall design is such that you would be in a common area right outside an RA's room and they'd shut it down right away. There's definitely drinking allowed in Gropius, just not drinking games.

If you're into that sort of thing you can do drinking games in Hastings because each double unit has a living room. Or just join the drama society and do all your drinking at house parties.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Or just join the drama society anything and do all your drinking at house parties everywhere else.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:21 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
Or just join the drama society anything and do all your drinking at house parties everywhere else.

gonna plug cambridge common here just because i have to

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:12 am

The North RAs told us that there was no hard liquor allowed at all in the dorms, but either someone misread the rules or just nobody follows that rule at all.

tonysoprano

Postby tonysoprano » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Anybody used this (or know anyone that did) and want give some input?

http://www.law.harvard.edu/library/serv ... share.html

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”