Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pneumonia

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:07 am

moejoe193 wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for someone not living in Cambridge but hoping to drive their car to class? It appears that the Cambridge parking permits are only available to Cambridge residents, and does not have a lot of information for non-residents.

Some people park on the Somerville/Cambridge line.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:12 am

http://harvard.philo.com/

So I fell down the Google rabbit hole and somehow ended up here. Do HLS students get access to this business? And if so, is it as cool as it sounds?

foxes

Postby foxes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:48 pm

did anyone cook while living in gropius? it probably will be too much trouble to cook everyday, but id like to do so once in a while. i google mapped grocery stores nearby, is the best option for someone w/o a car whole foods?

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:13 pm

For grocery stores, Shaw's and/or Star Market should probably be your normal/go-to store. The Whole Foods on Putnam and River is a reasonable walk from campus, and once in a while I found it useful to take the T to Alewife and make a Whole Foods/TJ's run up there.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:26 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:For grocery stores, Shaw's and/or Star Market should probably be your normal/go-to store. The Whole Foods on Putnam and River is a reasonable walk from campus, and once in a while I found it useful to take the T to Alewife and make a Whole Foods/TJ's run up there.

The Whole Foods on Beacon is a little closer to campus, though it is smaller than the one on River.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:35 pm

I cooked all the time that I was in Gropius. I eventually gave up on Shaw's/Star Market and ended up taking a bus to Trader Joe's in Alewife. With Charlie Card and a real-time bus arrivals app (I think there are a few, but I used Busboy), you can get there and back pretty cheaply and easily. I went every few weeks, with stops in between at much closer markets to restock on things that expire.

You can also take the subway, but it turns out that the bus stops are not any farther than the subway stops, and the bus had minor advantages, so I tended to take the bus. The Fresh Pond area is also pretty, so I enjoyed going out there.

morimoto1991

Postby morimoto1991 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:38 pm

has anyone tried to apply for loans through the Harvard University Employees Credit Union? i don't see the the upcoming academic year (2015-2016) for HLS as an option in the application drop down menu :roll: am i missing something?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:56 pm

foxes wrote:did anyone cook while living in gropius? it probably will be too much trouble to cook everyday, but id like to do so once in a while. i google mapped grocery stores nearby, is the best option for someone w/o a car whole foods?

Evergood also works in a pinch, when you don't have the time/energy to go to Star Market or Whole Foods.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Anyone looking to fill a room for fall pm me pls!

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Anyone used the cash advance or reimbursement to get a laptop for school/life? Trying to understand how to go about doing that (come July) and how long it would take to be reimbursed/to receive the cash advance.

Thanks.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:21 pm

What's the deal with this best brief award? Is it overall, or per climenko? Is it different than a DS? Does it show up on your transcript?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:25 pm

nothingtosee wrote:What's the deal with this best brief award? Is it overall, or per climenko? Is it different than a DS? Does it show up on your transcript?

Lol. Don't worry about it, or any of these other awards. 95% of the class doesn't have any special awards and they all get jobs

Each climenko can choose a best brief, although I think some climenkos don't. It's not something that shows up on your transript

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:38 am

Any recommendations for a female doctor in Cambridge? My current primary care is the worst and I really don't want to go in blind again.

foxes

Postby foxes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:42 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Any recommendations for a female doctor in Cambridge? My current primary care is the worst and I really don't want to go in blind again.

i was just planning to use harvard health services, it seemed the most convenient since it was on campus. unless any current students have had bad experiences...?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:13 pm

foxes wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Any recommendations for a female doctor in Cambridge? My current primary care is the worst and I really don't want to go in blind again.

i was just planning to use harvard health services, it seemed the most convenient since it was on campus. unless any current students have had bad experiences...?

Ahh I will be under my parent's insurance so I didn't think I had that as an option.

foxes

Postby foxes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:44 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
foxes wrote:

Ahh I will be under my parent's insurance so I didn't think I had that as an option.

i will be too but if you only waived the insurance fee you can still access health services (if you pay the health fee which is pretty much a req)

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:57 pm

foxes wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
foxes wrote:

i will be too but if you only waived the insurance fee you can still access health services (if you pay the health fee which is pretty much a req)

Oh! Well then! Are they available year round or only during the semester?

despina

Postby despina » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Dr. Laima Zarins at the law school clinic is great.

foxes

Postby foxes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:28 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
foxes wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
foxes wrote:

Oh! Well then! Are they available year round or only during the semester?

from the website it looks like year round, but im not 100% sure... http://huhs.harvard.edu/

despina wrote:Dr. Laima Zarins at the law school clinic is great.

ty for that!

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:29 pm

despina wrote:Dr. Laima Zarins at the law school clinic is great.

she is also my PCP and I can confirm

LS2515

Postby LS2515 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Any HLS clerkship movement? I assume nothing until HLR results are out?

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:24 pm

LS2515 wrote:Any HLS clerkship movement? I assume nothing until HLR results are out?

Don't assume that. I haven't heard of anything (nor am I really following it), but last year some of the earliest judges had hired before law review came out. If you've got really high grades, you should absolutely apply to that list of early judges that OCS put out.

nickhalden

Postby nickhalden » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 am

I remember seeing a post about shipping things to HLS dorms for them to put in your room before you arrive. Is that true? If so, when can we do it and what address do we use?

Thanks!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:17 pm

nickhalden wrote:I remember seeing a post about shipping things to HLS dorms for them to put in your room before you arrive. Is that true? If so, when can we do it and what address do we use?

Thanks!

Yeah: 1585 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138

You'll need to include your mailing number which should be in your lease materials.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 pm

TripTrip wrote:
nickhalden wrote:I remember seeing a post about shipping things to HLS dorms for them to put in your room before you arrive. Is that true? If so, when can we do it and what address do we use?

Thanks!

Yeah: 1585 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138

You'll need to include your mailing number which should be in your lease materials.

Do you know if this applies to commercial packages as well? Can I buy all the shit I need for my dorm on Amazon and just ship it to HLS ahead of time?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”