Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
codyoneill

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby codyoneill » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
wealtheow wrote:Gonna echo the sentiment that having a car in Cambridge is awesome! Never have trouble finding a spot near the law school. I forgot about street sweeping once and the car got towed (from IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE), but that's my own fault for not reading the sign. I live about 15 mins from the school (by foot) and it's nice when I don't feel like walking or taking the T (which I haaaaaate).

Watch out for codyoneill though; he's one of those nut buckets who support space savers in the winter. :lol:

Just going to note, though, that both wealtheow and codyoneill have long-term SOs. It's been pointed out in this thread before that people with SOs generally get more use out of a car. Of the four 1Ls I know with cars, three have long-term SOs. It may be coincidence, but it's nevertheless somewhat consistently true that people who have SOs find having a car useful more often than those who don't.

True.

blueberrycrumble

Postby blueberrycrumble » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:36 am

0L question: Will there be anything 1Ls should expect to have to do during Columbus Day weekend? October 10-13 since there's no class on the 12th and 13th, yes? It would be fine to leave for like one day during that weekend for family matters? Thanks in advance

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:51 am

blueberrycrumble wrote:0L question: Will there be anything 1Ls should expect to have to do during Columbus Day weekend? October 10-13 since there's no class on the 12th and 13th, yes? It would be fine to leave for like one day during that weekend for family matters? Thanks in advance

Yes, you should plan not to remember Columbus, since he was a murderous slave-owning jackass.

The only thing I have on my 1L calendar from that weekend is that the day before the weekend was the closed memo conference and the following Sunday is when the closed memo was due. But you're definitely not going to spend four solid days polishing a closed memo, so go home.

despina

Postby despina » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 am

TripTrip wrote:
blueberrycrumble wrote:0L question: Will there be anything 1Ls should expect to have to do during Columbus Day weekend? October 10-13 since there's no class on the 12th and 13th, yes? It would be fine to leave for like one day during that weekend for family matters? Thanks in advance

Yes, you should plan not to remember Columbus, since he was a murderous slave-owning jackass.

The only thing I have on my 1L calendar from that weekend is that the day before the weekend was the closed memo conference and the following Sunday is when the closed memo was due. But you're definitely not going to spend four solid days polishing a closed memo, so go home.

Agreed. You will have plenty of work to do, but you shouldn't have any events scheduled for those four days. Enjoy!

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:03 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:05 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:06 am

Also 1L grades are out.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:10 am

codyoneill wrote:Also 1L grades are out.

:shock:

lawbeahs

Postby lawbeahs » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:12 am

So how do I stand for EIP (exclusively bidding on Boston) with 2DS, 2H, 6P? Am I about median or slightly above? Should I throw in some NY or a secondary market to be safe? Thanks for the advice!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:13 am

someone might as well start the 2015 EIP thread

ETA re: grades and bidding for OCI-

https://hls.harvard.edu/dept/ocs/jd-stu ... g/?redir=1

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 am

I'm available for clerkship advising if anyone would find it helpful. Just pm me.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:35 am

lawbeahs wrote:So how do I stand for EIP (exclusively bidding on Boston) with 2DS, 2H, 6P? Am I about median or slightly above? Should I throw in some NY or a secondary market to be safe? Thanks for the advice!

You're at a 3.6, so you're above median (somewhere around a 3.3-3.4, or 3-4 Hs).

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:15 pm

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:14 pm

When do LR results come out?

dm21998

Postby dm21998 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:33 pm

LR results come out mid-July. But if you have feeder level grades, you shouldn't wait for LR results. Apply for the feeders (especially D.C. Circuit) as soon as you can get your materials in order.

blueberrycrumble

Postby blueberrycrumble » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:11 am

despina wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Agreed. You will have plenty of work to do, but you shouldn't have any events scheduled for those four days. Enjoy!

Thank you both!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:03 pm

wonka wrote:So, I know this is probably played out and TCR is don't take a car to HLS. . .but the closer I get to selling my car, the more I feel like I want to keep it. Having the option to get out of the Boston area when I want to seems pretty great, and I feel like at any rate I'll likely want it when I'm finished. I'm contracted in a dorm for next year, and I've read here that street parking around the law school can be a nightmare, but does anyone have any leads on parking spaces in the burbs? I was thinking there may be apartment complexes at the end of the red line that have extra parking spaces I could rent. Has anyone done this?

Ive responded to this several times in this thread, but here's my summary:
1. i loved having my car. i switched over my plates and insurance (and fyi you dont have to switch over your license). actually street parking is not a nightmare. free street parking near the law school is plentiful and actually was a non-issue.
2. i lived in off campus housing but near the law school but i walked to school every day.
3. i snowboarded, went to several beaches, drove to canada, drove to ikea, and did other random shit when i felt like it. definitely worth having a car esp. after your 1L year when you have more time.
4. random but important -- grocery shopping in the winter is much more pleasant with a car.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:57 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:
wonka wrote:So, I know this is probably played out and TCR is don't take a car to HLS. . .but the closer I get to selling my car, the more I feel like I want to keep it. Having the option to get out of the Boston area when I want to seems pretty great, and I feel like at any rate I'll likely want it when I'm finished. I'm contracted in a dorm for next year, and I've read here that street parking around the law school can be a nightmare, but does anyone have any leads on parking spaces in the burbs? I was thinking there may be apartment complexes at the end of the red line that have extra parking spaces I could rent. Has anyone done this?

1. i loved having my car. i switched over my plates and insurance (and fyi you dont have to switch over your license). actually street parking is not a nightmare. free street parking near the law school is plentiful and actually was a non-issue.
2. i lived in off campus housing but near the law school but i walked to school every day.
3. i snowboarded, went to several beaches, drove to canada, drove to ikea, and did other random shit when i felt like it. definitely worth having a car esp. after your 1L year when you have more time.
4. random but important -- grocery shopping in the winter is much more pleasant with a car.

Question for anyone who often used the street parking, did you have any issues with damage to your car? I've heard some bad things about street parking in that regard.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:46 am

lawman84 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

Question for anyone who often used the street parking, did you have any issues with damage to your car? I've heard some bad things about street parking in that regard.

Anecdotally, I have not heard of that happening to any of my friends with cars. But I'll let the people with cars give you a definitive answer. I guess it probably depends where you live, but the area is generally quite safe.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:20 am

lawman84 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

At the beginning of the school year I was parked on a busy street and a car took out my side mirror and drove away. So that was unfortunate.

But I don't think it is a common occurrence. And I'm not particularly nervous about it happening again.
The odds are low enough that I don't think it should factor into your decision.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:23 pm

codyoneill wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

At the beginning of the school year I was parked on a busy street and a car took out my side mirror and drove away. So that was unfortunate.

But I don't think it is a common occurrence. And I'm not particularly nervous about it happening again.
The odds are low enough that I don't think it should factor into your decision.

Got sideswiped when I was parked, but the person was nice enough to leave their insurance, so got it fixed in like 48 hrs. nbd.

randomperson46

Postby randomperson46 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:59 pm

I signed up for housing through HUHousing. My lease starts September 1st, but the first day of orientation is August 27th. Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Has anyone had success negotiating a slightly earlier move-in date?

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:24 am

lawman84 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

hmm. honestly my car has a several more scratches on it now than it did before i brought it to cambridge but my car is also like ten years old so that hardly matters. it's definitely not a place i'd want to park a brand new audi or something. no hit and runs so far. i DID blow out my own tire parallel parking so just try not to be a moron like me/watch out for those pesky sidewalks :P.

also +1 to the grocery store advantage, winter or otherwise. the car has been wonderful for errands. i like walking around cambridge but am so glad i don't have to hoof around with my groceries, especially in the winter.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:37 am

Thanks to all of you for the answers!

moejoe193

Postby moejoe193 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:26 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone not living in Cambridge but hoping to drive their car to class? It appears that the Cambridge parking permits are only available to Cambridge residents, and does not have a lot of information for non-residents.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”